Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Still waiting and checking here occasionally. noticed the previous late July / Aug estimate has gone and been replaced with the no estimates will be made its done when its done. I resent this statement especially when you already had an estimate... It almost comes across as aggressive towards the consumers. Poor. Just be honest.

I know, right? Imagine those scientists running a year-long experiment, and as they near the end of it they find out that their experiment has been contaminated. Imagine the pregnant woman who goes two weeks past her "due date." Imagine the construction workers who pour the concrete for a bridge, only for it not to set up properly; then they have to tear it up and do it again.

It's amazing how things can pop up which delay the previous estimates.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not a complainer... I'm a goof-off! You must not be reading my posts. :)

I know you are. It was a meta comment for those who don't understand how the dev process on games like this work.

lol! seriously. my father used to say "it's done when it's done", when he had no idea how to make dinner. Kinda makes you feel like you're being talked down to right. Would be kinda nice to pass along to all the people I hyped up for "it's done when it's done" the actual reason for the delay. I'm not upset about the delay, I'm upset about being treated like a child, than looking like a complete idiot to my viewers.

Hey Skippy,

No disrespect meant. I know not everyone reads every single post as they try to catch up on all the posts so I will break it down for you and everyone else who are wondering what happened.

In June Madmole said in a video that he was hopeful that they would be done with A17 by the end of July. He admitted that it was a guess but that it was his estimate on what he felt would be possible.

In early July the team made the choice to upgrade to Unity 2018.2 because at first glance it appeared that it would have some solid performance benefits and no major inconsistencies from the previous version. It was a risk but one they felt was worth it for the benefits. They were right about the benefits but they were wrong about inconsistencies. It turned out their shaders became incompatible and needed to be redone. This caused a delay much longer than they anticipated.

Towards the end of July, as people were submitting bug fixes and uploading new art assets from their local builds to the shared build the magnitude of new art assets overwhelmed the atlases that they use. This has caused another unforeseen delay as they have had to find an alternative solution to be able to include all the new art in the game. They have found a solution and are doing that conversion. The bad news is the delay it caused but the good news is that all the new content that will be included in A17 is awesome and will be able to be supported.

At the end of July when I knew that Madmole's guess was going to be wrong I changed the date to August which caused an eruption from a segment of the community who thought that "hope" and "guess" and "estimate" really meant "promise" and "vow" and "set in stone". Then when August 1st came and all the "It's August where is it?" posts started appearing I changed it to "August or....." so that people would know that even August was just an estimate. But people went ballistic and the dev diary went off the rails. I had to move over 150 posts out of this thread all because some people couldn't understand the difference between "Maybe" and "Definitely".

That is how "It's done when its done" came about. I realized that the immature segment would never understand the concept of "estimate" and if they were going to be mad no matter what then I didn't want to have to deal with constantly updating the date. I added the smilie because someone thought the phrase sounded petulant and passive aggressive and smilies always make forum posts better. Right?

But now....lol....we have people trying to assign special meaning to the smilie...

It will be done just as soon as the unforeseen issues are handled and the known bugs that are considered show-stoppers are squished. There aren't going to be any more Unity updates before A17 and they know the full extent of the massive amount of new content and have a framework that can support it all. They are not holding out on us and stringing us along. They will get it into our hands at the soonest possible moment they can.

Hey Skippy,

quote also removed because its massive

Cheers for info thats what was needed, maybe put in first post that you guys simply have delays? Then you wouldnt get all the speculation.

As to the other guys who quoted me i should of added that condescending comments can also be placed where the sun dont shine.

modded servers

Shouldn't it be doable to have an extra list of servers for games that have changed some sort of "significant options" but haven't done any XML or more in-depth changes? Of course you'll have to decide which options would be substantial enough to warrant it, but since some of the options do make pretty major changes it might make sense -- and much more sense than removing those options from the basic game menus entirely(I do love me some options, the more the merrier). That way people can at least know that nothing has been changed beyond what is already available in the game.

We've heard many times that there does seem among some people to be a bit of a stigma attached to "modded servers." Whether it's because people are concerned about not playing in one of the multitude of ways the developers intended, or just because people want to be sure whether they need to go to another website(or login and try to find someone to ask) to find out what mods a server is running. Or maybe the problem is exaggerated, but there is clearly at least a belief that going into the "modded" list means not nearly as many randoms will come to play.

Since TFP seems to think that some of the game's own options are significant enough that they should be kept separate from the basic list, isn't there some sort of middle ground to be had there? Some of those changes, while significant, are a lot less so than the completely unrestricted world of manual XML edits and full-blown content mods.

Although you could argue that some pretty major changes like always run are still in the base list, so maybe anything that's in the game menus should be put there after all? Or maybe that's the plan but the server detection was done when there was a different set of options and hasn't been updated in a while so it can't tell what TFP changed and what modders changed?

Extra Edit: Maybe a full list wouldn't be necessary, but just some sort of prominent marker to tell people "you really should read the specific settings in the server details."

This i can agree with, i have played almost all the different mods for this game during the last year, but since it is impossible to know what server have wow or ravenhearst etc. I have played alone or with my husband on our private server.

It would be alot easier if there was a way to search the servers by mod or if the server description was better.

With that being said, i am not sure this is TFP job or problem. Since there is no public servers for MP in this game, it can be very difficult to find other people to play with even in vanilla. I think this speaks of us as a community and the fact that in opinion most of us playing, prefer PVE and does not want to meet idiots who might raid us on day 30.

A few modders and others have tried having open servers we can join, and that is really great:smile-new

but it would be great if they were easier to find for everybody and not just us who follow all 7d2d info as slaves :smile-new:

Hey Skippy,

No disrespect meant. I know not everyone reads every single post as they try to catch up on all the posts so I will break it down for you and everyone else who are wondering what happened.

In June Madmole said in a video that he was hopeful that they would be done with A17 by the end of July. He admitted that it was a guess but that it was his estimate on what he felt would be possible.

In early July the team made the choice to upgrade to Unity 2018.2 because at first glance it appeared that it would have some solid performance benefits and no major inconsistencies from the previous version. It was a risk but one they felt was worth it for the benefits. They were right about the benefits but they were wrong about inconsistencies. It turned out their shaders became incompatible and needed to be redone. This caused a delay much longer than they anticipated.

Towards the end of July, as people were submitting bug fixes and uploading new art assets from their local builds to the shared build the magnitude of new art assets overwhelmed the atlases that they use. This has caused another unforeseen delay as they have had to find an alternative solution to be able to include all the new art in the game. They have found a solution and are doing that conversion. The bad news is the delay it caused but the good news is that all the new content that will be included in A17 is awesome and will be able to be supported.

At the end of July when I knew that Madmole's guess was going to be wrong I changed the date to August which caused an eruption from a segment of the community who thought that "hope" and "guess" and "estimate" really meant "promise" and "vow" and "set in stone". Then when August 1st came and all the "It's August where is it?" posts started appearing I changed it to "August or....." so that people would know that even August was just an estimate. But people went ballistic and the dev diary went off the rails. I had to move over 150 posts out of this thread all because some people couldn't understand the difference between "Maybe" and "Definitely".

That is how "It's done when its done" came about. I realized that the immature segment would never understand the concept of "estimate" and if they were going to be mad no matter what then I didn't want to have to deal with constantly updating the date. I added the smilie because someone thought the phrase sounded petulant and passive aggressive and smilies always make forum posts better. Right?

But now....lol....we have people trying to assign special meaning to the smilie...

It will be done just as soon as the unforeseen issues are handled and the known bugs that are considered show-stoppers are squished. There aren't going to be any more Unity updates before A17 and they know the full extent of the massive amount of new content and have a framework that can support it all. They are not holding out on us and stringing us along. They will get it into our hands at the soonest possible moment they can.

So definitely August then, nice!

Sorry Roland. I had to. You dangled it right in front of me.

Thanks for the clarification Roland. I wish the team had created an update letting us know and maybe showing us something too, it's been going on two months now since there was a new video on thier youtube channel and such. Been a few weeks now that even when we go to the dev update channel thingy/link from the steam discussions that there is no communication from MM or the team at all.

We all want the new A17.

- - - Updated - - -

So definitely August then, nice!

Sorry Roland. I had to. You dangled it right in front of me.

well, we hope....

Thanks for the clarification Roland. I wish the team had created an update letting us know and maybe showing us something too, it's been going on two months now since there was a new video on thier youtube channel and such. Been a few weeks now that even when we go to the dev update channel thingy/link from the steam discussions that there is no communication from MM or the team at all.

We all want the new A17.

- - - Updated - - -

well, we hope....

Yeah, unfortunately because of the nature of the problems the game has appeared really really ugly the last few weeks and Madmole won't do a video showing the game when it looks ugly. It's just not in his nature as an artist. :)

When it comes to meat, it's the best knife wins

I have been using a bone shiv for hunting for the longest time because it was a lot more convent and cheaper than a metal made one. I could always toss it if I ran out of room in my inventory for one thing.

But then I tried a knife and it was three times better.

I have tried a stone ax, bone shiv and a knife out on wolves, deer and boars and here is a break down of what I got.

Stone ax = 1 meat

Bone shive = 3 meat

Iron knife = 7-9 meat

As you can see, each tool/knife was three times better than the previous one used.

Note: quality of the tool or knife did not seem to matter when it came to the quantity produced, only the item used.

Also I got much more bones and animal fat per kill as well.

This i can agree with, i have played almost all the different mods for this game during the last year, but since it is impossible to know what server have wow or ravenhearst etc. I have played alone or with my husband on our private server.

It would be alot easier if there was a way to search the servers by mod or if the server description was better.

With that being said, i am not sure this is TFP job or problem. Since there is no public servers for MP in this game, it can be very difficult to find other people to play with even in vanilla. I think this speaks of us as a community and the fact that in opinion most of us playing, prefer PVE and does not want to meet idiots who might raid us on day 30.

A few modders and others have tried having open servers we can join, and that is really great:smile-new

but it would be great if they were easier to find for everybody and not just us who follow all 7d2d info as slaves :smile-new:

There multiple issues with the server browser and I’m sure the browser is near the bottom of the list to fix. Listing the mods added would help as well as cleaning up what is considered modded or not. I have joined servers from the un-modded list only to find Zcoins and teleporting. Then my own server with 32 zombies on horde night is considered modded. Hopefully when the game gets closer to beta that the server browser gets some love.TBH, that is my only present complaint about the game. The rest of what people are complaining about do not seem to bother me.

Dude.

I told you already, like yesterday or so.. FIRST a video of MM driving around his Jeep in Perishton, and THEN a new lighting screenshot.

Edit: I stand corrected xD

Dude....

BAM!

I see your edit ... LOL... this is so great...hahah

Skip the jeep, right to the good stuff

Archived