How many dew collectors do you have?

ElCabong

3, 2 of which have both the gathering mods - so ~quadruple output off the two, which is "9" total I guess. Seems to be too much to needs atm, but I'm not really crafting anything either. Half a box of spare boiled waters after the first 4 weeks, while using red tea to keep up the digestion buff 2/3 of the time.

In a 2 player game, I have 2 and have stopped collecting water from them because they produce more than we need when they are fully modded.  But we don't craft every single quality level of every item, so we don't go through glue as much as some other players.  I think that the general rule you can follow is 1 per player if you aren't doing a ton of crafting.  If you craft a lot, 2-3 per player is about the max you'd probably ever need.  Especially if you get them going really early in the game.

In my single player game, I've found 2 collectors to meet my needs so far.

In my co-op we'd been using 4, but now that we're pushing into the late game and glue processing has become more important, we've gone up to 6 collectors with mods to keep swimming in that water.

-Edit: Several days later,

I just wanted to amend to this post that in the Co-op world, though 6 collectors was enough for practical purposes, we still had a surplus of bones and we're going to put up a waterfield of another 10 (though we're setting it farther away so that the screamers it would draw wont be a problem.

Edited by Mister Forgash (see edit history)

I have three, but with only the tarp and gatherer mod (filter is a bonus) I'm sure only 2 would do me. I thought I had them far enough from my base at first, but decided to move them further away just to be sure and it's helped with the screamer situation (I can run one workbench without an issue). I put them in a non-poi field opposite the trader and just let them do their thing.

Weird to think me and my friend had eighteen of them -- two groups of eight in two seperate non-POI fields around the town, plus two left in the base -- in A21 and we still ran out a lot because of all the glue and duct tape we needed for just two people. 

I have 1 with the mods, except for the purification filter which seems to be more expensive than it is worth.

I also play with a mod that lets me harvest water from water sources, though I don't need to do that a lot. One dew collector and water from POIs keeps me flush.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

I play mostly on solo and after 2 I never run out of water, but I also make it a point to collect it every time I run by, so I also never leave it idle.
This is without any mods. I bet with 1 and all mods I could be fine with that.

3 hours ago, Suxar said:

10, but I'm going to build 10 more.

I'm guessing you're hitting end game vehicles. Man, the 4x4, Gyro and Drone all need so much duct tape, and hence glue, and hence water!

Can't believe We had all the steel, wheels and acid, all things meant to be a bit hard to get, before we had enough water, something meant to be easy to get. 

31 minutes ago, Pernicious said:

I'm guessing you're hitting end game vehicles. Man, the 4x4, Gyro and Drone all need so much duct tape, and hence glue, and hence water!

That's right. I also grow cotton to make fabric.

Only I don't build 4x4. I don’t see the point in it, the motorcycle is faster.

2 minutes ago, Mehvish99 said:

"I'm curious about your dew collector setup. How many do you have, and what are you using them for? Are you collecting dew for personal use or for a specific project? I'd love to hear more about your experience."

I have one and once I get it fully upgraded, it's most of the water I need. I supplement it with what I loot but I have to boil that first and that adds to the heat signature of my base and I'm always making steel anymore.  I'm thinking that if I were to build a second Dew collector I could just leave murky water behind and get other loot that I need more. Of course the dew collector adds to your heat signature too.

17 hours ago, zztong said:

I have 1 with the mods, except for the purification filter which seems to be more expensive than it is worth.

The filter was the last mod I got for both of my dew collectors, just as a quality of like improvement (Don't have to boil 12 waters every day anymore) once I had a lot of extra dukes and didn't need to spend those on other items.

On 9/4/2024 at 5:40 PM, KirillWright said:

I'm sure I'd eventually get there but most of the time around 10.  I never seem to play a game long enough to manage 50 collectors.  Then again I always play solo so... yeah, that's be a lot of water.

I'm starting a new game with just one dew collector and being very diligent about harvesting the water and looting water from pois. I've had the fireplace going with boiling water and making glue for 7 minutes, the forge for 3 minutes, and I was making lots of lock picks in the workbench and I didn't get a screamer. Scratching my head over that. I sure as hell got them generating this much heat in the past.

17 hours ago, Mehvish99 said:

"I'm curious about your dew collector setup. How many do you have, and what are you using them for? Are you collecting dew for personal use or for a specific project? I'd love to hear more about your experience."

I'm curious about your dew collector setup. - Thank you for not putting collector in plural. By doing so, i guess the post was meant for me , since the other ones had more then one.

How many do you have - 1. See above.
and what are you using them for? - Collecting glass bottles containing dirty water.
Are you collecting dew for personal use or for a specific project?  - I collect the dew for personal use.
I'd love to hear more about your experience. - From experience i've learned that boiling the dirty water/dew will make the water inside the bottles less likely to cause dysentery. I also learned that i can then mix those clean(er) water filled glass jar with various other ingredients to make food that i can eat an survive upon. Most of the time the glass jar will disappear, and the food appears in nice pots. I have not been succesfull at extracting those pots, but they seem edible, so i guess it's a actual recycleable form of glass/ceramics.

And that was my post number 777.

And edit number 2.

Edited by Kattla (see edit history)

On 9/5/2024 at 5:44 PM, Mehvish99 said:

I currently have four. They are primarily there for my glue production. I prefer to have everything in stock.