Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

On 7/1/2024 at 4:28 AM, Blake_ said:

@faatal , can I ask for a couple of tweaks to make the "nerdy veteran experience" more complete?

LESS loot:  Like a 5% option or so? 25% is still too much for 1, even 2 players. Still, it's a niche option but akin to "nightmare loot setting". 25% is just ok, so it can be less, I wish.

A zd hp percentage would also be nice, I mean like untie the hp from the general difficulty setting and add another option just for that. It could solve some "bullet spongy" problems without actually decreasing the Zd damage tied to the insane difficulty.

And for the RWG:

1- Could you make PLAINS, HILLS and MOUNTAINS sliders  like the biomes`? . Sliders for those 3 are not very easy to handle and you cannot exactly put the percentages that you want. They should work like in the current upgraded biome sliders.

2- A cave option for terrain features? DLC for that at least? pretty please.

@Gazz Why can we still...

Loot % added to todo.

A enemy health slider is not out of the question. Todo.

1 Exact percents would not actually matter as there is limited granularity in how the code/data works.

2 Dynamic caves is something I would like to do someday.

Gazz no longer works on the game. Allan does numbers for loot, items, armor and lots of other stuff.

On 7/1/2024 at 6:56 AM, Egor179 said:

2. TAA in 7DTD still does not work correctly, namely the developers for some reason lowered all the standard parameters for TAA, as a result it almost did not fulfill its functions,

Yes, TAA sucks and the settings were lowered because of heavy blurring on animated plants. The blurring was considered unacceptable. TAA settings were increased in 1.0 as we now have motion vectors for plants, but TAA is still not great, which is why I use FSR. FSR does have some artifacts of its own, but better than TAA.

7 hours ago, mstdv inc said:

At what point did the zombie game start to turn into a fantasy with mythical creatures?
What's next? A branch of magic? Crafting potions?

He's a tough wolf. But this is not a zombie wolf, this is a wolf from a fantasy game about magic and dragons.
I don't share your enthusiasm. This greatly spoils the atmosphere of the ZOMBIE apocalypse.

...You know dire wolves were actually REAL animals once upon a time, right?

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

Speaking of which, are there plans to increase the amount of water on the map (vast winding rivers cutting across the wilderness leading to lakes, for example)? Most are located on the very border of the map nowadays, and the rivers are pretty illogical in nature. They don't flow from or to anywhere. :) (Not asking for flowing water btw.)

There are ideas. Stamps are meh and need replacing/editing/adding. We have talked a bit about running water like roads, but would be problems with roads and having to do bridges, so may never happen.

1 hour ago, faatal said:

1. I don't know. Books is Allan.

2. Correct. I did not add it as the model was done in 2 separate pieces, which code does not support and I think bicycles with armor is weird.

3. Punted to the future as no time for coding that.

Well, it looks like that book's text was corrected in today's patch and now references the Enforcer outfit! A shame about the bike armor and vehicle storage mods. Kinda makes me wonder why they were modeled if the bicycle armor isn't being added after all. Hoping to see the vehicle storage mods added soon.

46 minutes ago, Riamus said:

I think he means that the sorting may be removed.  The order of biomes around the "circle" is based on percentages used for the biomes, which may be removed.

Yes. The circle order will probably be changed to always be the same regardless of biome size. It may also need to seed each biome near the center, so they are near each other and would grow outwards to their percents.

7 minutes ago, Old Crow said:

Well, it looks like that book's text was corrected in today's patch and now references the Enforcer outfit! A shame about the bike armor and vehicle storage mods. Kinda makes me wonder why they were modeled if the bicycle armor isn't being added after all. Hoping to see the vehicle storage mods added soon.

When you have a big team, there are always a lot of moving parts and differences of opinion or available time.

1 hour ago, faatal said:

Loot % added to todo.

If loot % is getting worked on at some point, can we get the way it's applied changed?

Specifically if a loot item has a 'number found' of 1-x, and a 1 is rolled, any loot percentage less than 100% will reduce that to 0 found.  That makes lower loot %ages (which I'd otherwise love to use) completely mess up things like eggs. Because eggs are found in numbers of 'usually 1, occasionally 2', even 75% loot changes that to 'usually 0, occasionally 1'.

As I understand it, loot percentage (for stackable items/items found in multiples) works by:

Rolling how many items would have been found at default loot level, then multiplying that number by the loot percentage and then rounding down.

At the very least it should round up, but ideally it should work by:

Rolling how many items would have been found at default loot level, then roll the loot percentage that many times and award one item for each loot percentage roll that succeeded.

Using that model would give results far closer to what I think people expect from a given loot setting.

@faatal 1.0 introduced some processed half splat files.  I would assume these are designed to speed things up?  They seem to have a drawback if someone is making a custom map.  It seems that a road (and likely also a river) that is 1m wide on the full size splat will not show up in the game because of the half splat.  I know you aren't really supporting alternate ways people use to make maps beyond RWG, but this might be something to look into and see if there's a way to avoid such a problem.  If someone edits the splat for roads (and presumably water) and draws a 1px wide road (or river), it should still show up in the game.  Such thin roads/rivers might be unusual and not commonly done but it seems like an oversight to completely lose that in the game with the half splat even if they aren't normal.  A 1m wide path through the forest or leading to a hidden cottage or something like that could make for an interesting location on a map.

2 hours ago, Old Crow said:

And looked nothing like popular media portrays them. They weren't much taller than modern wolves but were bulkier and had a shorter broader muzzle, not the pony-sized versions of modern wolves that popular media portrays.

Edited by Kalex (see edit history)

4 hours ago, faatal said:

Fun.

1 Years ago...make small bear because I can, but ragdoll broken by scaling, so commented out.

2 I fixed ragdoll scaling for 1.0.

3 Allan says "why do we have small bear?". I say "because why not". Allan enables because it now works.

4 You see in game.

Thanks for the response. Would be nice if they could be shaded/colored slightly differently to make it seem like they're a different species or something but I'm sure not many people would notice

4 hours ago, faatal said:

Yes, TAA sucks and the settings were lowered because of heavy blurring on animated plants. The blurring was considered unacceptable. TAA settings were increased in 1.0 as we now have motion vectors for plants, but TAA is still not great, which is why I use FSR. FSR does have some artifacts of its own, but better than TAA.

Waiting for the implementation of the DLAA.
And still why SMAA is also included on top of TAA/FSR?

Hey, I'm just a lil guy (of age) but I have a suggestion for the game. I do not have an issue with the Alpha version head bobbing or the removal of that in 1.0. I think 1.0 is better personally but I was wondering if you could make a toggle somewhere in the settings that turns off head bobbing when the player character walks and runs. I have a friend who gets motion sickness from this and it would enable me to play with them more if this setting existed. They have yet to try out the new game version so I'm not sure if this is "fixed" for them or not. Thanks for reading.

I think the brighter nights are a compromise so that more dangerous creatures can be placed on the streets at night and to improve interior lighting. If the average player has no chance to detect enemies at night before they detect him he will simply stay in his base and wonder what to do and why he should play a game where he has to wait for 16 minutes every hour. 

Sure, veteran players know ways around this, but essentially the night has to be a level playing field. And if I have the choice between immersive nights and survivable nights I would choose the latter.

I also find interior lighting at day and night much better now, in A21 it was always switching hard between light and dark. Now I guess because of the higher background illumination interiors are great visually and playable but dangerous without headlamps.

While I'm not opposed to having darker nights back, as this topic continues, I think back a long time ago to when I first got Skyrim. The nights in that game are far too bright also.. When I was newer to the game, I loved it, after I'd already put my time in, I downloaded a mod to adjust it.

.. The point I'm getting at is, newer players are the ones that benefit the most from this- I had a friend that didn't enjoy 7days until he brightened the game significantly, He almost didn't get 5 hours in the game because 'every hour was fifteen minutes of bull@%$#'.. After it was dealt with, he has hundreds of hours sunk in now- but new players want to be able to see, and players that already love the game will be willing to mod it.

6 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

The new Dire Wolf model looks sick! :) Props to the art team once again!

spacer.png

I just can't get over how good he looks! THIS IS A ZOMBIE DOG! not the goofy Doberman we got. This hell hound looking Mf is so good I can't wait too see the zombie bear

5 hours ago, Uncle Al said:

If loot % is getting worked on at some point, can we get the way it's applied changed?

Specifically if a loot item has a 'number found' of 1-x, and a 1 is rolled, any loot percentage less than 100% will reduce that to 0 found.  That makes lower loot %ages (which I'd otherwise love to use) completely mess up things like eggs. Because eggs are found in numbers of 'usually 1, occasionally 2', even 75% loot changes that to 'usually 0, occasionally 1'.

As I understand it, loot percentage (for stackable items/items found in multiples) works by:

Rolling how many items would have been found at default loot level, then multiplying that number by the loot percentage and then rounding down.

At the very least it should round up, but ideally it should work by:

Rolling how many items would have been found at default loot level, then roll the loot percentage that many times and award one item for each loot percentage roll that succeeded.

Using that model would give results far closer to what I think people expect from a given loot setting.

Can we get a zombie spawn % setting... please 👉 👈 

7 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Interestingly, I'm seeing animalDireWolf showing up under FeralHordeStage under the entitygroups.xml, consistently labelled as .1 percentage chance. Are there dire wolves in blood moons now, under extremely rare (RNG-based) conditions?

I hope so. I also hope the zombie bear, mutated zombie and burning zombies get added soon

Wow faatal Is on a role

are there any plans to make tier 1 bows/crossbows more accessible early on without going  into agility, maybe potentially make them tier1 completion rewards? they aren't strong enough on there own to justify starting as an agility build and having them on day 2 or 3 wont break the game progression because there power comes from stealth and being sneaky. 

I miss having early bow access like in alpha 21 and I feel like it would be a really nice progression or tool to use alongside pipe weapons and provide more variety for early game strategy. 

I mean without a story, there is no real story progression, so forcing people to move to different biomes is foolish. when they actually write a story, that is what will cause players to have to go to other biomes. this current version of rwg, not a good way forward. please allow any biome to be central

Edited by wolfbain5 (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Old Crow said:

I like to think of it as an in game name like "i saw this thing, it was like a giant evil dog and it looked like a dire wolf or some sh!t". Kinda like "yeah it was a bear" vs "is that an infected/radiated bear?". I dont know what kind of bear it is, it looks like it was a bear though". All zed names are just what you call them by their size/walk/clothes not their actual first names. Maybe they need to make the names more fun, like call the regular burned dogs "Dr Chompers" or something so any name of any animal fits.