Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

Hi, I'm working on a video tutorial about the game settings and am struggling about a zombie behaviour. I cannot find any info and nothing in the xml files.

That's the zombie rage mode, the one that gives a speed boost to zombies in combat.

I made some tests, it seems to happen almost entirely randomly. With two exceptions. At scavenger difficulty I couldn't trigger it at all. On insane difficulty, it seems to occur more often with a bigger boost and lasts longer. And between those two, it seems totally random.

Anybody has info about this ?

Edited by Ouabi Gaming (see edit history)

On 8/5/2024 at 11:39 AM, MysticalTreyy said:

yehh i know that's crazy cuz, I've also realized that... the only one person that I still watch currently is "Guns, Nerds, and Steel" and i like his playstyle.

Most streamers seem to be playing it as a roguelike with permadeath, but not all. 

22 hours ago, Jay_ombie said:

Kage 848 in his latest Video (Part 16) raises a real valid point that traders should not sell anything over blue quality as it makes no sense of working through the magazine journey as it voids any progress if you just then buy a blue ...

You could just say then its a choice, you do not have to. But is there and again makes it humanly impossible to not want to buy a weapon or such instead of waiting for magazines to turn up which in it self then voids the fun of exploring for more magazines etc etc etc.

Truth is what else will they have them sell... basically it is better to just ignore traders alltogether since they break a game - even with resetting POI's and rewards.
Than they are selling magazines, crucible, cobblestone etc... 
Game feels much better without them ( played some I am legend mod that removes traders from the game and I was forced to move around much more since I emptied all the buildings in a town ).

Problem is that traders shorten the game significantly. I was hoping they would be better used and evolved, when they announced it back than, but they act as a cheat code at the current state of the game. Unless they add more content, NPCs and more things to do when you reach that day 30+ game gets completely repetitive and stale, no satisfaction with any kind of good endgame play.

Also noticed that game ratings on Steam keeps on dropping. Currently close to where the game was at A16 before graphic sugars were introduced.

6 hours ago, Ouabi Gaming said:

Hi, I'm working on a video tutorial about the game settings and am struggling about a zombie behaviour. I cannot find any info and nothing in the xml files.

That's the zombie rage mode, the one that gives a speed boost to zombies in combat.

I made some tests, it seems to happen almost entirely randomly. With two exceptions. At scavenger difficulty I couldn't trigger it at all. On insane difficulty, it seems to occur more often with a bigger boost and lasts longer. And between those two, it seems totally random.

Anybody has info about this ?

My understanding is that the chance of rage mode increases with difficulty, from none to almost always, as you have seen.  Rage mode is a random chance when you damage the zombie.  Not sure what the probability values are for each difficulty, though.  As with all RNG, you can get a streak of no rages or a streak of rages on any difficulty except the lowest.

15 hours ago, Riamus said:

My understanding is that the chance of rage mode increases with difficulty, from none to almost always, as you have seen.  Rage mode is a random chance when you damage the zombie.  Not sure what the probability values are for each difficulty, though.  As with all RNG, you can get a streak of no rages or a streak of rages on any difficulty except the lowest.

Ok, thanks, that's what I felt too.

Do you know anything else that the difficulty setting changes ? Apart from the damage from/to zombies of course.

33 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

@faatal

My dearest faatal.  As I look into your baby blue eyes, I'm left to wonder...

What the heck is a half splat map, how does it compare to a full splat map and how do we make/use one?  😃

Here you go:

1. Take a FULL splat map
  2. Cut in TWO identical pieces
  3. You have two HALF splat maps :peace:

5 hours ago, Guppycur said:

@faatal

My dearest faatal.  As I look into your baby blue eyes, I'm left to wonder...

What the heck is a half splat map, how does it compare to a full splat map and how do we make/use one?  😃

Even just a few years ago, we half no splat map.  Now, we half a splat map!

There a legitimate reason or law of the land as to why I can not pick these torches up ?

Am I forced to use this annoying stick and fat torch when there is a battery torch right there on the table..

There.... right there.... .... Its so bright and .... green.....

20240815224230-1.jpg

5 hours ago, Riamus said:

Yeah, this half splat map is a nightmare.  It ruins roads.  You have to manually replace it with the full splat to fix the roads.

Is that why gravel paths are missing textures (well, not missing, but the biome texture replaces it) until you punch the block its on? I've been having that issue since 1.0 b31-something, where gravel pathways I guess... sink into the ground? Hard to describe and I'm too lazy to go and get a screenshot.

1 hour ago, vergilsparda said:

Is that why gravel paths are missing textures (well, not missing, but the biome texture replaces it) until you punch the block its on? I've been having that issue since 1.0 b31-something, where gravel pathways I guess... sink into the ground? Hard to describe and I'm too lazy to go and get a screenshot.

Yes.  Any narrow paths or roads will disappear because of it.  In the forest, you end up see a "path" where no grass decorations are, but the gravel is gone.  I think it's because scaling the heightmap down by 50% loses too much detail for thin paths/roads.  It's very annoying and I have yet to see any value in using half splat files, so you get all the negative without any noticeable positive.  I think they should just get rid of that.  And in Teragon, since you can make the main roads (the wide asphalt roads) a bit broken up with dirt and grass so it doesn't look so pristine, those cause the main roads to lose a lot of the road as well because those now are thinner in spots because of the places without asphalt.  But even RWG suffers from this on the thin gravel paths.

The fix is to make a map and before you start the game, go into your world folder and replace the two half_splat files with the regular full size versions.  That seems to solve the problem, though it of course removes whatever "benefit" the half_splat files are supposed to provide.

Screenshot_20240816_230648_com.huawei.himovie.overseas_edit_8218816694578.thumb.jpg.3d7deb42c044b8ef9795db3a8e62bca6.jpgScreenshot_20240816_230653_com.huawei.himovie.overseas_edit_8230371178951.thumb.jpg.0c052710abb79f4a6057f0460552aa65.jpgScreenshot_20240816_230715_com.huawei.himovie.overseas_edit_8243798354991.thumb.jpg.622a960263336360dc45f9cb6cac3b15.jpg@Лаз Мэн @фатальный @schwanz9000 @Ненавидел Hello, here is such a funny one (there are no developers for you) the bug came out the pregen08k4 card Cheats are disabled from the very beginning, respectively, there is no way to use them I play on xbox siries s the bug itself occurred on August 13 even before b336

By the way, someone wrote here about the problem with the sight with the red one exactly on this rifle, personally, it works fine for me without bugs

Is there anyway to control distance of vehicle spawn in ?

I am noticing they spawn in late compared to a lot of other LOD, even zombies spawn in first before the cars etc. I saw a car spawn in on a zombie as it was walking towards me from a distance. It was in the car as it was scrambling out the car model somehow not exploding the car at the same time.

Screenshot-1.png

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

New zombie for bloodmoons???? 

But I wanna fight grandma in my horde base

20240817_123643.jpg

Looks like someone didn't eat her apple pie and she is angry about it. 

Awesome model 🤘

5 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

New zombie for bloodmoons???? 

But I wanna fight grandma in my horde base

20240817_123643.jpg

Tbh I'm kinda worried about blood moons and the content we won't get in 7dtd. I know it's another company working on it mostly but wouldn't 2 hands working on 7dtd be better? 

The main reason is money and that's OK.  Hell that's probably why they announced it as 1.0 so they can sell dlcs but aside from outfits idk what Else they can sell?

Car skins? Gun skins?

Maps wouldn't work out well or new dlc content. 

My hope is if blood moons fails they will add the content into base 7dtd. Or he'll even just add it later

2 hours ago, fragtzack said:

About 2 wheel vehicles. TFP ever discuss kickstands?

Kickstands seems like such a logical mod. Faster mount time and the biggest thing is seeing the vehicle standing up. Too hard to code?

In the 1.0 dev stream, they said no.  Not sure why since they didn't elaborate.  Seems easy enough to add.  They sometimes stay standing up anyhow, and not just when you place them on the ground from inventory.

Rookie question. Does anyone know when a stable version of v1.1 finally drops? I am configuring my mini pc box after a tough battle with my open ports and firewall. Shall I wait a week or two... more than that?

36 minutes ago, TWORDY said:

Rookie question. Does anyone know when a stable version of v1.1 finally drops? I am configuring my mini pc box after a tough battle with my open ports and firewall. Shall I wait a week or two... more than that?

It varies, but normally a few weeks after experimental starts.  It just depends how baby things they are trying to fix and how hard it is to fix those.  It seems there are a lot of console bugs and I think that could hold up stable, depending how hard it is to fix those.

1 minute ago, jenniann said:

Will tier 6 items ever get more than 4 mod slots? It kind of sucks that going through all the work to make a tier 6 and still only has 4 slots :(

My guess is no, unless or until they add more zombie progression so that you aren't too OP with another slot.  Or maybe with bandits.  Right now, it really isn't necessary other than just to be nice to have.

10 minutes ago, jenniann said:

Will tier 6 items ever get more than 4 mod slots? It kind of sucks that going through all the work to make a tier 6 and still only has 4 slots :(

Handguns are easy to convert into 6 slot mods. Tools are kinda hard to readjust or devs would have to create specific mods for each piece of the equipment.

9 minutes ago, Riamus said:

It varies, but normally a few weeks after experimental starts.  It just depends how baby things they are trying to fix and how hard it is to fix those.  It seems there are a lot of console bugs and I think that could hold up stable, depending how hard it is to fix those.

My guess is no, unless or until they add more zombie progression so that you aren't too OP with another slot.  Or maybe with bandits.  Right now, it really isn't necessary other than just to be nice to have.

Hopefully, the dev team will continue on hammering the game after even 1+ year(s).