Alpha 21 Discussion Overflow

meilodasreh

4 hours ago, Morloc said:

There are also people...(mind you, these are generally intelligent, charismatic, rather attractive paragons of virtue who occasionally share their wisdom with our community 🤠😎😇:angel:),

who will raise the corpse :ghost: of LBD as a joke 🤡 from time to time.
A tribute to the many fallen in that awesome, bloody battle of yore.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc

Well Morloc- if you talk about raising a corpse i think it would be good time for return of zombie childrens and destructible trader XD

3 hours ago, Roland said:

And the reward for displaying humor of that magnitude is to attain the vaunted position of being the first post removed from dev diary ushering in the ever popular overflow thread.

Bask in the prestige!

:)

So roland now Morlc became Arch Arch Necromancer or what?

55 minutes ago, Morloc said:

Et tu Brute? :moody:

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc

28 minutes ago, Roland said:

Septimus dies est tempus mori dulcissimum.

Hm....  vampire huting season begins! 

20 minutes ago, POCKET951 said:

I imagine RWG will be something they continue to improve on because I feel like the system they added in A20 is something they are very happy with, how ever there is always room for improvement

For that matter, the trigger system they added to support the night quests is far more powerful than what we have seen so far. 

On 3/16/2022 at 5:10 PM, meilodasreh said:

me too...and looking at the new vehicle models, I really hope one of the new POIs is gonna be a carwash 😀

edit:

if not, don't sweat, I will adapt.

Q6brush.jpg

wait, isnt' there already a carwash in the game that thye just added in A20?

8 hours ago, Roland said:

Don't feel persecuted. :)

Anything that is off-topic to Alpha 21 development is going to get moved here. LBD is definitely NOT going to be an aspect of Alpha 21 (or any future alpha) for this game. I think we have been extremely open about that with the community. Most people get it but there are a few who turn a blind eye to the many statements that LBD is gone for good and keep bringing it up as if there is a chance of changing someone's mind who can do anything about it. There are LBD mods so that is your option.

To be clear, you are welcome to keep bringing it up here in general discussions but the Alpha 21 thread is a focused thread for A21 features, of which, LBD is not one. I felt I was really open and clear that off-topic subjects would  be moved to this thread. I'm really not sure how much more open with the community I can be in this regard. Nobody said you had to agree with TFP in order to post. Feel free to post away your undying love for LBD as long as it isn't in the Alpha 21 Dev Diary thread. LBD is off topic there. Period.

thank you for being respectful.

Edited by danielspoa (see edit history)

8 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

Oh yes I greatly support this idea!

General "bigger armored guy has overall more hitpoints" would be somewhat meh,

but being able to specifically target unprotected areas  (limbs 😏) on individual enemies to take advantage in some situation, e.g.

-weapon arm causing bad aim (of course)

-leg causing limp/slower movement (...no kidding...🙄)

-shooting off helmet giving a chance to let him flee/panic or at least keep him hiding behind cover

-...stuff

...wow, enumerating this feels so stupid, as it sounds absolutely logic that it should be like that,

I really hope there's nothing about the game engine or whatever to prevent implementation of some kind of such system!

*fingers crossed*

That would be cool.  Although we already have dismemberment* and effects specific to leg/arm shots for zombies, and I expect we'll have them for bandits, too.  So I'd be totally happy with it just meaning that different bandits have different weak points.  What I most want to advocate for, is that bandits (and zombies) have individual variations.  No clones!

* At risk of being gruesome, it's worth pointing out that one way bandits and zombies can not feel the same is that bandits should have more body integrity.  When a bullet to the leg makes a zombie's leg completely disintegrate, that's fine: it's a rotting corpse.  But the leg of a living virtual human shouldn't explode as easily.

6 hours ago, Guppycur said:

... definitely my first thought when I saw that ... It'd be trivial to have them spawn in hiding/showing those mesh pieces (I know because I've done it), so yes I think they purposely have it set up that way for that specific purpose. 

Good to know. I try hard not to make assumptions about how much effort it would take for someone else (usually a programmer) to execute a request.  But it does seem like the artist would model the equipment/armor and some of the clothes as separate pieces regardless.  This might be like Marlene's dangling eye that's meant to jiggle, where the character art is set up the way it needs to be, whether or not the feature is implemented.

6 hours ago, Matt115 said:

2. Do you plans to add new models of cars into old POI like gas station or new cars will be only in new POI/outside?

I'm not a dev, but the new vehicles would almost certainly appear anywhere the current sedan appears.  Because all the cars in POIs are already placed as helper blocks, so the game can choose a random car color and/or destruction level at generation time.  They would add these new vehicles to the list of models from which the game chooses.  The only reason not to that I can think of, is if the new vehicles wouldn't physically fit in some locations.

9 hours ago, Crater Creator said:

Good to know. I try hard not to make assumptions about how much effort it would take for someone else (usually a programmer) to execute a request.  But it does seem like the artist would model the equipment/armor and some of the clothes as separate pieces regardless.  This might be like Marlene's dangling eye that's meant to jiggle, where the character art is set up the way it needs to be, whether or not the feature is implemented.

I'm not a dev, but the new vehicles would almost certainly appear anywhere the current sedan appears.  Because all the cars in POIs are already placed as helper blocks, so the game can choose a random car color and/or destruction level at generation time.  They would add these new vehicles to the list of models from which the game chooses.  The only reason not to that I can think of, is if the new vehicles wouldn't physically fit in some locations.

7 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Time permitting, we will do multiple passes on existing POIs as new block entities are added to the game.  The new decorative vehicles should be no different.  The old junkyard POIs especially would benefit from them.  :)

to @Crater Creator : some cars like "service truck" or military truck are connected with some POI  unfortunatly but i hope we will see military truck on random road in A21

to @Laz Man Nice!  Well junkyard need a lot of cars hah :) honestly i wish you guys add old good skeleton lying on road and  and sitting on chair in some POI it would be perfect because  without them 7dtd is not spooky enough 

Spooky Scary GIF - Spooky Scary Skeletons - Discover & Share GIFs

I remember this cartoon. | Spooky scary, Black and white cartoon, Vintage  cartoon

No one can so chill like skeleton : just lying and do nothing XD

Dungeon Skeleton | 3D Props | Unity Asset Store

On 3/17/2022 at 12:30 AM, POCKET951 said:

Dreams:
image.png.531b3b810a9dc2b1053a885757328a58.png

Untill then though:
 image.png.ca7061df5baf8a3f10312bc6dce12e1d.png

This 3x3x1 Cube should be very usefull in the game - 10x10x1 too and if FunPimps implement this, pls programm the Cubes 1x3x3 and 1x10x10 as groundplate too. And i really miss the Cubes "Ramp - upsidedown", "Ramp - sideways",  "Ramp - edge - upsidedown" and "Ramp - edge, filler - upsidedown"  to complete my Sphere:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2780899327

4 hours ago, WarWren said:

Things I would like to see in A21.

Random gen wilderness and highway improvements.

For wilderness: sheer cliffs, nicer rivers and wilderness shelter style cave stamps. For highways:something like nitrogen's highways, tree lined highways, highway POIs like rest stops and gas stations and a mountain underpass and more detailed intersections. The trader also needs a different piece of road to spawn on other than the same T junction.

RWG has come a huge way this last alpha, but yeah, I've been curious if TFP intends for traders to always be on that same plot, or if this is transitory until more trader-supporting RWG zones are added.  I have a hunch that half of all A20 bases are built on that same empty field opposite the trader. :suspicion:

city tile rwg is good but there are still weird things generated. roads stopping, roads in circles around tiles then 3 of them in a row where the roads do not meet or merge but run alongside. hopefully the city RWG get a bit of a tickle as well as everything outside the city. 

@Crater Creator  my base is in the field at the t intersection next to the trader. i always find some sort of camp across the road from the trader entrance... 

Edited by spud42 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Crater Creator said:

RWG has come a huge way this last alpha, but yeah, I've been curious if TFP intends for traders to always be on that same plot, or if this is transitory until more trader-supporting RWG zones are added.  I have a hunch that half of all A20 bases are built on that same empty field opposite the trader. :suspicion:

Honestly some citys feel like they need 2 traders, or someway to ask for more quest if you aren't  admin.

trader quest diversity is better in A20 because we get 5 tiers to choose from.

but then these 5 quest in tiers 1-4 cycle through about the same 10-20 Pois over and over and over.

Yes I can go to the Pois and just clear them, but I want to be able to reset every POI in the city with a quest if I want to, and that just isn't possible atm outside of playing 30 hours for a reset

I am not sure what the solution would be like, but I would really like more POI diversity from traders

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

Wonder how the bandits/npc will work in A21.

will the melee ones just charge at you like a zombies and do nothing to protect themselves, are they going too do moves that we can't like Blocking and dodging
and i really hope the ranged bandits aren't going to be some 360 No scope level of aim 

I know some things madmole said they will not do, like drive cars and such and thats good... no need to be level 1 then a truck hits you 

Well this would be logical about melee ones because even techland with $$$$$$$$$ , actors etc make this bad in non voxel game. 

Well this depends on guns i think how accuraty they will be

4 hours ago, spud42 said:

city tile rwg is good but there are still weird things generated. roads stopping, roads in circles around tiles then 3 of them in a row where the roads do not meet or merge but run alongside. hopefully the city RWG get a bit of a tickle as well as everything outside the city. 

@Crater Creator  my base is in the field at the t intersection next to the trader. i always find some sort of camp across the road from the trader entrance... 

Mmm. I’ve seen small POIs spawn across the road from the trader entrance, but 75% of the time it’s been a vacant lot. A very particular vacant lot I notice, with bumps in the terrain in the same spots when building there.  Meanwhile, I decided the other side of the T intersection was a good place to plant a forest.

4 hours ago, POCKET951 said:

Honestly some citys feel like they need 2 traders, or someway to ask for more quest if you aren't  admin.

trader quest diversity is better in A20 because we get 5 tiers to choose from.

but then these 5 quest in tiers 1-4 cycle through about the same 10-20 Pois over and over and over.

Yes I can go to the Pois and just clear them, but I want to be able to reset every POI in the city with a quest if I want to, and that just isn't possible atm outside of playing 30 hours for a reset

I am not sure what the solution would be like, but I would really like more POI diversity from traders

Now that each trader is placed in a way that they’re kind of associated with a town, the completionist in me would like to see the trader send you to each POI in that town, comprehensively.  You’d do a quest in each one, and at the end the trader would reward you for taking control of the whole territory.

It would be satisfying in its own right to be ‘done’ with a whole town, but one could also take the idea further.  Imagine completed POIs are colorized on the map, a la Saints Row.  A fence could go up around the border of the town, pre-placed but hidden in the RWG tiles (complete with signage with the town’s name).  Zombie spawns within the town limits could be reduced (i.e. stop spawning any extra zombies that spawn because you’re in town).  If more friendly NPCs are ever added, they could start showing up in cleared towns.

All this could give the player memorable, unique feelings of rebuilding society in the apocalypse.  Unlike most games, it could be done even without a rigid storyline or a static map.

59 minutes ago, Crater Creator said:

It would be satisfying in its own right to be ‘done’ with a whole town, but one could also take the idea further.  Imagine completed POIs are colorized on the map, a la Saints Row.

This is exactly how I've pictured it. I really like the idea, although with maps of limited size you would eventually run out of things to clear (though you could be tasked with defending territories that are under siege).

3 hours ago, beHypE said:

Please let this be the Alpha where bandits or at least some kind of end game content is added. No matter how better the game got overall, these past alphas really felt like more (or a better version) of the same, and the mid/end game still gets stale fast. 

What do you mean by " end game" ? because in theory it can be T5 POI

1 hour ago, pregnable said:

I am curious as to how the armor sets are coming along.  Pretty sure you guys are going to lean away from anything that encourages clothes swapping. 

Anything cool like multi-shot arrows, or maybe a legendary that does that? 

When all else fails, rip off stuff that works in other games.  Especially rip off skills and gear from diablo2, lel. 

Or at least do that with the next game, which is probably more fantasy horde. 

Imagine revives, skeletons, fireballs, summons, hammerdins... in a fantasy horde building game.  😉

Your post sounds like little bit trolling but

armor sets is a little bit inaccuracy term... it should be outfit sets. i will give you few example from real world - police riot suit, doctor clothes, hazmat suit, miltary uniform. And more "stereotypical" like typical redneck outfit, miner, hunter , goth etc.  but we use term "armor system" because... this sounds better. So : devs DON'T want to change 7dtd this into skyrim with guns, just simplify clothing system

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

10 hours ago, ElDudorino said:

This is exactly how I've pictured it. I really like the idea, although with maps of limited size you would eventually run out of things to clear (though you could be tasked with defending territories that are under siege).

Absolutely!  The devs show interest in doing random events, and one type of random event could be bandits attacking a far-off territory you control, which you have to go over and defend or else lose it.  I think it would be a fun, impromptu challenge to defend a POI you never voluntarily identified as a base.  Or if that's too random, the bandits could target trader POIs specifically, as those have always been designed like defensible bases.

I also don't mind the prospect of running out of new POIs to conquer, and eventually controlling 100% of the territory.  That would be a satisfying long-term goal to pursue, and it could encourage exploring the whole map.  There should still be some types of quests you could do in POIs you control.

6 minutes ago, Crater Creator said:

Absolutely!  The devs show interest in doing random events, and one type of random event could be bandits attacking a far-off territory you control, which you have to go over and defend or else lose it.  I think it would be a fun, impromptu challenge to defend a POI you never voluntarily identified as a base.  Or if that's too random, the bandits could target trader POIs specifically, as those have always been designed like defensible bases.

I also don't mind the prospect of running out of new POIs to conquer, and eventually controlling 100% of the territory.  That would be a satisfying long-term goal to pursue, and it could encourage exploring the whole map.  There should still be some types of quests you could do in POIs you control.

Yup, that would be a lot of fun for those who want to do it. And even on a 6k map that would take a while to do. Unless you maybe limit it to towns or even just cities. And could just be an optional thing. Make if so if you own an area there are less zombies/bandits around or something like that. Have little bandit raiding parties once in while like wandering hordes we have now.

On 3/17/2022 at 3:20 PM, faatal said:

Water is making good progress, so there is a good chance it will be in A21.

Would love to see it, might be to early though to show it? I hope it actually flows and stuff instead of being like... Gel like it has been since a16.

13 hours ago, beHypE said:

Please let this be the Alpha where bandits or at least some kind of end game content is added. No matter how better the game got overall, these past alphas really felt like more (or a better version) of the same, and the mid/end game still gets stale fast. 

I feel we need a new tier of materials above steel, as well as zombies above radiated ones, Maybe mutant ones? Steel has been the top since, well as long as I can remember and I started in A9 or 10 ish. Its about time we get a new tier above that I feel.

8 hours ago, pregnable said:

I am curious as to how the armor sets are coming along.  Pretty sure you guys are going to lean away from anything that encourages clothes swapping. 

Anything cool like multi-shot arrows, or maybe a legendary that does that? 

When all else fails, rip off stuff that works in other games.  Especially rip off skills and gear from diablo2, lel. 

Or at least do that with the next game, which is probably more fantasy horde. 

Imagine revives, skeletons, fireballs, summons, hammerdins... in a fantasy horde building game.  😉

Honestly, i'd like to see the skill system redone myself, I'd like all the weapon perks under 1 stat, all the survival stuff under another, then a 3rd category for misc perks. Or, when you loot armor, there is a chance for it to spawn with +1 to a stat. I find the current skill system extremly limiting in single player, as instead of 1 gate in a16.4 we now have 5 gates to get the same perks.