Alpha 21 Discussion Overflow

meilodasreh

3 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

reposting here since this is where the devs will be spending more time from now on.

Wasteland Biome needs revamping

now that the burnt forest has been incorporated into wasteland, it no longer makes sense that the entire wasteland ground is composed of "terrDestroyedStone". this block is understandable around prefabs, in towns, and in cities, but for the wilderness, it makes no sense. never really did. The wilderness sections of wasteland should be "terrBurntForestGround" to make more sense. I mean the trees and grass and what little brush there is grew out of soil. Dropping nukes and burning the ground would not have converted soil to stone and then destroyed the stone.

You incorporated the 2 biomes, Please use them creatively in a way that makes sense and is fun.

It can be explain in "lore stuff" for example : wastelands was big city like NY but military decided to use new "bulding collapse" bomb. They use it and then used a fire bombs (that's how burnt forest was set on fire). But this solution was not enough so they drop nuke bombs to cuts this zone and create radiactivity border

7 hours ago, Crater Creator said:

Absolutely!  The devs show interest in doing random events, and one type of random event could be bandits attacking a far-off territory you control, which you have to go over and defend or else lose it.  I think it would be a fun, impromptu challenge to defend a POI you never voluntarily identified as a base.  Or if that's too random, the bandits could target trader POIs specifically, as those have always been designed like defensible bases.

I also don't mind the prospect of running out of new POIs to conquer, and eventually controlling 100% of the territory.  That would be a satisfying long-term goal to pursue, and it could encourage exploring the whole map.  There should still be some types of quests you could do in POIs you control.

I have a similar dream for traders which shares most of your concepts but goes a step sideways.

When we complete all of the quests in a trader's area of influence, that would trigger NPCs to "repopulate" the area. They could reopen the businesses we cleared. We could then have a functioning gas station or diner or whatever in reclaimed areas, but this would make them a target for bandits as you describe. Bandit raids would be like a mini horde against armed enemies. If you fail to stop the raid, you have to do a Recapture mission.

6 hours ago, AndrewT said:

I already posted something similar to this in the pimp dreams section but Roland are there plans for more damage visuals on zombies (possibly even players) meaning simple things such as slashes from knives or machetes as well as bullet wounds such as holes or flesh wounds of different types?

I've seen it (nominally) done before with blood splotches on regions of the body back in an Alpha 18 mod, but it's pretty preformance heavy. There would need to be some optimizations done, but it's certainly possible.

10 hours ago, AndrewT said:

I already posted something similar to this in the pimp dreams section but Roland are there plans for more damage visuals on zombies (possibly even players) meaning simple things such as slashes from knives or machetes as well as bullet wounds such as holes or flesh wounds of different types?

Isn't body dismemberment good enough for you? :suspicious:

2 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Isn't body dismemberment good enough for you? :suspicious:

Dismemberment as an idea is nice, but have you seen the animations?

They are bad. Horrifically bad. Decapitating zombie Steve for example - no swinging of a machete but with the vertical chop of an axe...

...how does the animation play? The body dropping and the head; upright, pops off and sort of jumps up in the air before falling straight down...

Then there is the absurd half head missing model with the dodgy eyes and the comedy death look with the sticky out tongue. It's quite embarrassing really - I just hope those things are in as temporary stuff ready for a more gory pass to make lopping off limbs more exciting.

Zombies should be blown to bits by grenades and the dismemberment animations could follow repeated damage to the same area. The problem with that though is that either weapon damage in general would need to be nerfed, or zombie hp would need to be increased such that hacking at them would be viable and believable. 

Z's that have had their arms removed shouldn't be able to hit you either, but I've been belted by no arm zombies. 

There is a lot that can be done I think but our discussions will only ever sit at the level of speculation unless one of the devs steps in and gives us some idea of what they could do, and more importantly - what they will do 👍🏻

Edited by Beelzebubs Ghost (see edit history)

9 hours ago, meganoth said:

A question for faatal: Would it be possible that trigger area for POI rooms is extended to the wall blocks and breaking such a block also triggers the zombies in that area?

I think this might fix a possible exploit where breaking through walls makes zombies not wake up.

The trigger areas are box-shaped volumes, hand-placed by the level designers.  It seems unlikely a programmatic solution would work in all POIs, without taking away the designer's control (e.g. making the zombies wake up too early in some cases).

13 hours ago, Matt115 said:

It can be explain in "lore stuff" for example : wastelands was big city like NY but military decided to use new "bulding collapse" bomb. They use it and then used a fire bombs (that's how burnt forest was set on fire). But this solution was not enough so they drop nuke bombs to cuts this zone and create radiactivity border

not sure you read that properly. how does a nuke relocate broken stone debris and scatter it evenly through the wilderness but leave the trees up and such? lore said cities were nuked, and the wilderness was firebombed. at least what little snippets of lore Madmole came up with over the last 10 years or so. so cities should have the broken stone, but wilderness should have burned ground blocks as the surface since... you know, fire bombed. it's why we had a burned biome to begin with

5 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

not sure you read that properly. how does a nuke relocate broken stone debris and scatter it evenly through the wilderness but leave the trees up and such? lore said cities were nuked, and the wilderness was firebombed. at least what little snippets of lore Madmole came up with over the last 10 years or so. so cities should have the broken stone, but wilderness should have burned ground blocks as the surface since... you know, fire bombed. it's why we had a burned biome to begin with

Okay : main reason why there is stone not soil is... because it looks more unique and it is better "border" bettwen similiar biomes. So this will be probably explain in future but now it is just to make biomes more "easy" to recognise

7 hours ago, Rabbitslovecactus said:

All the images posted are broken.... Anyone else have that?  @Roland

These pictures coming directly from Twitter.

If they are broken for you - check your browser and/or Ad-blocker settings (it's maybe under tracking or social media...). Maybe try a nother browser to see if it's different for you.

10 hours ago, Crater Creator said:

The trigger areas are box-shaped volumes, hand-placed by the level designers.  It seems unlikely a programmatic solution would work in all POIs, without taking away the designer's control (e.g. making the zombies wake up too early in some cases).

It would be much work for the level designers to adjust the trigger areas. But that is not the question, because that is already possible to do with 7D2D as it is.

The question to Faatal is whether the trigger area that is up to now only triggered by the PC himself entering it can also be made to trigger from blocks that he destroys. And that in an efficient manner.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

25 minutes ago, meganoth said:

It would be much work for the level designers to adjust the trigger areas. But that is not the question, because that is already possible to do with 7D2D as it is.

The question to Faatal is whether the trigger area that is up to now only triggered by the PC himself entering it can also be made to trigger from blocks that he destroys. And that in an efficient manner.

Okay, I understand now. "Extended to the wall blocks" sounded like you were asking to extend coverage to blocks outside of the sleeper volume (trigger area).

I see the potential benefit of what you're asking. But I would also note that sleeper volumes are not matched with walls in a consistent way.  Sometimes the sleeper volume is large enough to include the walls, and sometimes it isn't.  So relying on blocks being in the sleeper volume or not to trigger the zombies within would yield inconsistent results, unless a design pass was done on the sleeper volumes to establish consistency.

On 3/19/2022 at 5:20 PM, Adam the Waster said:

Wonder how the bandits/npc will work in A21.

will the melee ones just charge at you like a zombies and do nothing to protect themselves, are they going too do moves that we can't like Blocking and dodging

A21 will be the very first iteration of bandits in the game, so let's just hope they don't behave like completely brainless morons, despite not being intended to behave like that.

I expect an AI that acts totally different from Zeds, otherwise it would be just some random other skin put on already existent entities.

On 3/19/2022 at 5:20 PM, Adam the Waster said:

and i really hope the ranged bandits aren't going to be some 360 No scope level of aim 

That I guess is the actual tricky part of it...to code it so they aren't invincible aim-bots, spotting you from out-of-sight-distance, and then one-shotting you from incredible angles just when in range...and at the same time not too numb nut.

1 hour ago, DanLW said:

Since we have restore power, how about a power plant?  Coal and Gas would provide great resources.  Maybe even a T5 Nuclear power plant?  Or maybe even T6?  Most if not all zombies irradiated, and requires radiation suit in some areas.  Drop the control rods into the reactor to dramatically reduce irradiated spawns in the area which would make the White River clan very happy (and very generous)

Well this would be rly hard to do. You know quests are 'restarting" POI'S

5 hours ago, Alpacko said:

can we have a zombie spawn multiplier option, like we already have for loot and ai block dmg?

like 2x,3x,4x zombies or 25%-200% zombie spawns.

"Adding content is honestly the easy part. The hard part is balancing it." so I guess all we'll see is new car/guns/npc's models that took another 1.5 years to complete

51 minutes ago, bachgaman said:

"Adding content is honestly the easy part. The hard part is balancing it." so I guess all we'll see is new car/guns/npc's models that took another 1.5 years to complete

Well not always - some things are so pain to add. that's why many features are cut because it is hard to add this things

2 hours ago, Nuketown2025 said:

Why do players still leaving during PVP? Will developers do anything with that problem? Or its ok?

You can set your server settings to "drop all on leave" forcing people to find a safe place before logging out or risk losing all their stuff. 

7 hours ago, bachgaman said:

Hopefully not. They keep striving for shorter and smaller updates and even though they keep failing at that, maybe they will succeed this time. :)

1 hour ago, kazangati said:

Long time lurker off and on. but first post, what are the chances they will add Zinc And copper mining, It would be nice to make our own brass. Sorry if this has been asked before.

(IMO) Immersive elements of the game are taking a back seat to streamlining gameplay at this phase of the alpha. Various crafting processes and recipes have been simplified, and there is talk of further simplification.

*(No critique, just impassionate observations)

Copper ingots were in the game long ago, but I don't believe brass making was ever implemented. The chance of it making a come-back would likely be very, very low.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc

1 hour ago, Morloc said:

(IMO) Immersive elements of the game are taking a back seat to streamlining gameplay at this phase of the alpha. Various crafting processes and recipes have been simplified, and there is talk of further simplification.

*(No critique, just impassionate observations)

Copper ingots were in the game long ago, but I don't believe brass making was ever implemented. The chance of it making a come-back would likely be very, very low.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc

Well i would be glad is copper ingots came back

2 minutes ago, Trankitas said:

Hi! @faatal, any bandit sneak peaks? Or info to share? (besides the photo seen on twitter)

Yep - bandits will be wandering outside and sit inside some POI's

4 hours ago, kazangati said:

Long time lurker off and on. but first post, what are the chances they will add Zinc And copper mining, It would be nice to make our own brass. Sorry if this has been asked before.

Welcome to the forums. Madmole has replied to this question in the past and he doesn’t see the necessity of adding another ore. Brass has been made plentiful enough from various sources that brass supply shouldn’t be a problem.