Alpha 21 Discussion Overflow

meilodasreh

29 minutes ago, Kalex said:

Will we be able to loot the gear off the bandits?

Lots of work to visually swap body parts to dressed/undressed ones, significantly more so if the new dismemberement becomes a thing for npcs. But I would also love to have that in the game. Sooo satisfying to loot with visual feedback. Bethesda main franchises have the feature and it makes gameplay significantly more immersive than not having it.

7 hours ago, Nevergrey said:

I've never played 7 Days To Die with 8 GB of RAM. I already started playing it with 16 GB RAM. To be honest, I've played only solo offline and Navezgane so far. But I'll experiment with Random World Generation when Navezgane gets boring (whenever that might be).

Back on topic (Alpha 21). I have some (probably silly) ideas for the game: 

- A day and night realtime option, depending on the player's system clock.

- Seasons, depending on the player's system date. A part of the map that is only accessable on the day of a full moon (like in Dungeon Keeper).

- Zombie fishes. Something that attacks you when you swim through water.

- A Zombie like the 'Pregnant' in Dead Space. You shoot it and it vomits out smaller enemies.

- A Zombie that will temporarily contaminate a area with toxic fumes when dying. There was a discussion about Zombie children in the past and I'd like to see them in this game too. For example there could be a group of Zombie children that are protected by a big Guardian-Zombie (yeah, I've played Bioshock too). The Zombie children attack, but you can't kill them. If you hit or shoot them, they just fall on the ground giggling, stand up and continue attacking. You need to kill the Guardian. When the Guardian dies, he befogs the area and the Zombie children just vanish in this fog (while maybe singing a nursery rhyme?). So we have Zombie children in the game, but without the problematic of killing them. 

This is not silly but just not possible

1. This can be done but it will be broke balance - why? you would get AK47 in 3 quality in first day and would forced to fight againts blood moon horde few hourse realtime = 2k bullets at least neccesary?

2. Well there are RNG world + people play usually 10-15 days ( real live) on 1 map so most people would never see this + world have realitis setting so there cannot be added because... well in real life you don't have time barrier right?

3. Devs don't want fishes

4.  This would not suit into 7dtd.

5 Toxic zombie sounds ok so it could be added :)  about zombie children and guardian zombie - this could be added as part of paid dlc ( like blood and gore dlc in total war games) but... this cannot be added from technical point of view-  there was plan to add behemot but they scrapped this idea because movment etc so big  enemy will be not added because of this plus.... Idk about this fog idea if this would be possible - i think someone with bigger knowledge can say more about that.

Thanks for your answer. Fog would be nice. For example like in Carpenter's 'The Fog'. Bloodmoon night starts and there rise a very dense fog in the area around you. Zombies come out of this fog and attack. Dead Zombies vanish in this fog (so the game just deletes them this way), and a 'Fog of War' for unknown terrain could maybe even tweak game performance slightly?

There's already a MOD with something similar: Punishing Weather. But unfortunately it apparently decreases game performance. 🤔

Regarding Fish: there are surely other things that can lurk underwater. Giant leeches or underwater plants with tentacles. Ok, we shouldn't discuss the topic 'tentacles' further... 😅  

There are also more things that could attack from above: Acid Rain, Gargoyle Zombies, Swarms of Black Flies that can make you blind for a few seconds when attacking. What about flying (Zombie) witches with broomsticks like in Painkiller?

Just some ideas... 

By the way: Acid Zombies could be dressed as clowns. When they die, they pop balloons filled with poison gas.

Edited by Nevergrey
By the way... (see edit history)

22 minutes ago, Nevergrey said:

Regarding bandits: As far as I understand they are Zombies with weapons, so they won't attack other Zombies. But what is the real difference between them and Zombies (aside from the weapons)? Can they drive cars? Will they enter your area and occupy it, so you need to recapture your base? If bandits are just Zombies with guns, what make them special?  

Well... they can shoot and take cover.

45 minutes ago, Nevergrey said:

Thanks for your answer. Fog would be nice. For example like in Carpenter's 'The Fog'. Bloodmoon night starts and there rise a very dense fog in the area around you. Zombies come out of this fog and attack. Dead Zombies vanish in this fog (so the game just deletes them this way), and a 'Fog of War' for unknown terrain could maybe even tweak game performance slightly?

There's already a MOD with something similar: Punishing Weather. But unfortunately it apparently decreases game performance. 🤔

Regarding Fish: there are surely other things that can lurk underwater. Giant leeches or underwater plants with tentacles. Ok, we shouldn't discuss the topic 'tentacles' further... 😅  

There are also more things that could attack from above: Acid Rain, Gargoyle Zombies, Swarms of Black Flies that can make you blind for a few seconds when attacking. What about flying (Zombie) witches with broomsticks like in Painkiller?

Just some ideas... 

By the way: Acid Zombies could be dressed as clowns. When they die, they pop balloons filled with poison gas.

Painkiller take action in hell purgatory and 7dtd in just after nuke war, that's suggestion not suit here because... this game want to keep realistic setting in days gone or the last of us style

12 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Painkiller take action in hell purgatory and 7dtd in just after nuke war, that's suggestion not suit here because... this game want to keep realistic setting in days gone or the last of us style

Then we NEED acid rain in 7dtd. 😉

9 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

maybe on wastelands but i'm not sure if weather can be biom connected

I think there was an “acid rain” mod , maybe way back in a17? Before the forums were redone… what little I remember was that whenever you got “wet” it was acid. Possibly “wet while outdoors”. I don’t think it was biome specific, so all outdoor water was “irradiated” as well, when you stepped in it.

I would like to add: it might be neat to bring back the old “radiation suit” mechanic. There is “radiation” as a map overlay, just no way to protect from it. If someone made a radiation suit mod, that protected against it (the pills in DF might work as well), then people could make random “radiation map overlays” to add to the game, or do the whole “radiated city” here and there.  I don’t have any idea why this was removed from the game as a “thing”/item.  I mean, it was kinda some explanation of why we have … irradiated zeds.

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

1 hour ago, doughphunghus said:

I would like to add: it might be neat to bring back the old “radiation suit” mechanic. There is “radiation” as a map overlay, just no way to protect from it. If someone made a radiation suit mod, that protected against it (the pills in DF might work as well), then people could make random “radiation map overlays” to add to the game, or do the whole “radiated city” here and there.  I don’t have any idea why this was removed from the game as a “thing”/item.  I mean, it was kinda some explanation of why we have … irradiated zeds.

Sounds interesting. If there are whole radiated cities, I'd also expect to find different zeds there. Mutated rats for example.  

1 hour ago, doughphunghus said:

I think there was an “acid rain” mod , maybe way back in a17? Before the forums were redone… what little I remember was that whenever you got “wet” it was acid. Possibly “wet while outdoors”. I don’t think it was biome specific, so all outdoor water was “irradiated” as well, when you stepped in it.

well they said radiation is going to be added into the wasteland (thats what the nomad suit is for)

what i think they would do is add some more zombie animals like zombie deer, Hogs and Wolfs, Add more scrapable trash around like imagine your walking around and you find some old vending machines, Fridges, Engines, Tool boxs, a Lonely toilet, etc. So much scrap but at a cost of ALOT of zombies and radiation. and i would also add 1/8 zombies you find will be a glowing zombie, at night it will be 1/4. 

More Wrecked buildings as natural formations, A light green and grey hue too show radiation. 
If you want to live out there, you can just build a house or live underground. Rads levels are low enough where with shelter you can live but if you do take rad damage, it will lower max health, Stamina, food and lower stats. it will go away after death or it will stay depending on difficulty (Warrior, Survivalist and Insane)  

Radiation could be the story behind the bandits: They are searching for Uranium. This bandits are not completely zombified yet (that's the reason why they can still use weapons and react more tactical than standard zeds). They heard about a cure made of special isotopes, that they can find only in some areas on the map. The bandids could have special dogs instead of Geiger counters, that are trained to find radioactive materials (like truffle pigs finding fungi). A type of dogs like the blind dogs in S.T.A.L.K.E.R maybe, or big creatures like the 'Beast of Gévaudan' in the movie 'Brotherhood Of The Wolf' (picture of a model below).

spacer.png

Edited by Nevergrey (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

well they said radiation is going to be added into the wasteland (thats what the nomad suit is for)

what i think they would do is add some more zombie animals like zombie deer, Hogs and Wolfs, Add more scrapable trash around like imagine your walking around and you find some old vending machines, Fridges, Engines, Tool boxs, a Lonely toilet, etc. So much scrap but at a cost of ALOT of zombies and radiation. and i would also add 1/8 zombies you find will be a glowing zombie, at night it will be 1/4. 

More Wrecked buildings as natural formations, A light green and grey hue too show radiation. 
If you want to live out there, you can just build a house or live underground. Rads levels are low enough where with shelter you can live but if you do take rad damage, it will lower max health, Stamina, food and lower stats. it will go away after death or it will stay depending on difficulty (Warrior, Survivalist and Insane)  

Please don't change 7dtd into fallout xd

1 hour ago, Nevergrey said:

Radiation could be the story behind the bandits: They are searching for Uranium. This bandits are not completely zombified yet (that's the reason why they can still use weapons and react more tactical than standard zeds). They heard about a cure made of special isotopes, that they can find only in some areas on the map. The bandids could have special dogs instead of Geiger counters, that are trained to find radioactive materials (like truffle pigs finding fungi). A type of dogs like the blind dogs in S.T.A.L.K.E.R maybe, or big creatures like the 'Beast of Gévaudan' in the movie 'Brotherhood Of The Wolf' (picture of a model below).

spacer.png

About 1 one - i suggested this a few times but - bandits will be just zombie with weapons, So this can't work because normal bandits will be simple

50 minutes ago, Spatch said:

Including the ability to turn off all traders and adjust starting quests to not say "missing trader" - I am loving the no-trader style of gameplay.

In its current state, it ruins the gameplay, but if it were possible to customize it, then it would be much more fun with it than without it. Unfortunately looks like TFP believes that game lack new car and zombies models, not replay value or balance.

11 minutes ago, bachgaman said:

In its current state, it ruins the gameplay, but if it were possible to customize it, then it would be much more fun with it than without it. Unfortunately looks like TFP believes that game lack new car and zombies models, not replay value or balance.

Because it is true- i don't remember  how gameplay in cod bo 2 looks but i remember how looks zombie lady in hat in shadow of evil or gasmask soviet soldier zombie on outbreake. so Zombie models matter more that another guns tier / t5 POI :) why? because if you play in L4D2 you don't have feeling you fighting with clone army-  because there is so many variants of zombies

52 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Because it is true- i don't remember  how gameplay in cod bo 2 looks but i remember how looks zombie lady in hat in shadow of evil or gasmask soviet soldier zombie on outbreake. so Zombie models matter more that another guns tier / t5 POI :) why? because if you play in L4D2 you don't have feeling you fighting with clone army-  because there is so many variants of zombies

But I was not talking about new T5 POI and not about weapon tiers, but about simple sliders in the settings menu

31 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

you wrote about balance too. So well "content" first balance in "beta"

Adding content is easier than balancing, but nevertheless we see new content once every 1.5 years in a very modest amount. And since there is no balance in the game and, for the reason you mentioned, will not be for many years, it would be logical to give players the opportunity to deal with balancing themselves - by increasing the number of options available when creating a world. I believe that it is orders of magnitude cheaper than creating a new T5 POI or writing NPC AI for most possible settings

18 minutes ago, bachgaman said:

Adding content is easier than balancing, but nevertheless we see new content once every 1.5 years in a very modest amount. And since there is no balance in the game and, for the reason you mentioned, will not be for many years, it would be logical to give players the opportunity to deal with balancing themselves - by increasing the number of options available when creating a world. I believe that it is orders of magnitude cheaper than creating a new T5 POI or writing NPC AI for most possible settings

Honestly yes and no -  this depends what option do you mean - even increase zombie number can be problematic ( performance etc)...  but descrease or increase zombie health could be easy

24 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Honestly yes and no -  this depends what option do you mean - even increase zombie number can be problematic ( performance etc)...  but descrease or increase zombie health could be easy

It makes no sense to hide behind thinking through performance problems and so on, because it exists:

image.png.25d2d21f6afdef8ade7a1201143b9a12.png

"Chaning this setting has a huge impact on perfomance. Change at your own risk."

Edited by bachgaman (see edit history)

Just now, bachgaman said:

It makes no sense to hide behind thinking through performance problems and so on, because it exists:

image.png.25d2d21f6afdef8ade7a1201143b9a12.png

"Chaning this setting has a huge impact on perfomance. Change at your own risk."

Yep, so there will be no chance to increase this into 128 for example.

Thanks for the info regarding bandits, Roland. I'm  very curious about them now.

I had some more or less dull ideas for future versions, but overall this game is already great. So what I really want to know (and I hope the relevant developer could answer this question):  What are the realistic system recommendations for enjoying A21 without any fundamental limitations? Are the recommended system specs (especially regarding CPU and memory) on Steam still correct (when not running a dedicated server)? 3.2 Ghz Quad Core CPU, 12 GB RAM? 

Edited by Nevergrey (see edit history)