Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

38 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

n A22, road paint has a new property on it that allows players to replace another block over it so you no longer have to destroy it first.  You guys can thank Faatal for that qol change.

Thank you Faatal!

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

On 11/11/2023 at 5:51 PM, Matt115 said:

Hm... if reduce max number of players for typical 4 players would be possible to make  124 limit of zombie? 🤔

Could be too many. I typically play with 5 people total, I have max zombies around 80 or 90. 

Regular times it is fine, horde nights are the big problem. Going past 24 per wave is a slide show. 12 to 16 seems to run fine.
64GB of ram.

10 hours ago, Laz Man said:

In A22, road paint has a new property on it that allows players to replace another block over it so you no longer have to destroy it first.  You guys can thank Faatal for that qol change.

Will this change add the lines to roads in the wilderness?

Considering hatch/door/... placement:

is there a chance we can have something like this one day? (open state/hinge side indicated by semi-translucent half way open "ghost shape" )

Or just show it in only that (half) open state when rotating the block, would do the same job.

image.png.39e42329510180ba0639b3ea7ea8027e.png

The arrow we have now does still tend to confuse me sometimes because it leaves room for misinterpretation.

It just points into a direction, but you still have to figure out what that direction means.

Swings into that direction? Player comes from the pointed direction? Next trader that way? 🤡

Yes, of course, you get the hang of it...it's just that the other suggestion would be so much more of an instantly conclusive way to tell even a first time player how to set it correctly...or otherwise said: Is there anybody who wanted to place a hatch and immediately knew by the arrow "oh nice, it's of course that way" without trial and error?

...and - at least seems to be - relatively easy to add something like that?

1 hour ago, Old Crow said:

So, third Experimental came out today, since the last Stable. Does this mean we'll be getting another A21 Stable soon?

Are there patch notes for the experimental builds? What's the difference between them and the current stable version?

12 minutes ago, Arez said:

Are there patch notes for the experimental builds? What's the difference between them and the current stable version?

Go up one level in this section and you will see threads pinned below this one that contain what you seek. :)

Developers! hey! I have few issues! one of which is dedicated server installed via steam on Linux won't launch, for some reason it tries to execute .bat file. So one needs to manually navigate in to the server folder and launch .sh file. This Bug persisted for a long time now, please, fix if possible. Also, Vulkan version no longer launcher (Alpha 21.2) I used to play on Vulkan on A20, is this a linux issue? or the game needs fixing? I am on latest Ubuntu now, using mesa 23.2.1 is it possible that it causes the issue? How can I check?

Love the game!!!

10 minutes ago, Strengthinside said:

Developers! hey! I have few issues! one of which is dedicated server installed via steam on Linux won't launch, for some reason it tries to execute .bat file. So one needs to manually navigate in to the server folder and launch .sh file. This Bug persisted for a long time now, please, fix if possible. Also, Vulkan version no longer launcher (Alpha 21.2) I used to play on Vulkan on A20, is this a linux issue? or the game needs fixing? I am on latest Ubuntu now, using mesa 23.2.1 is it possible that it causes the issue? How can I check?

Love the game!!!

Wrong place. Please post in "General Support" and read the post that tells you how to post. Especially how to include the log file. And include more details, for example how do you start the dedicated server and when does it tell you it wants to start a .bat file

Generally I have installed brand new ubuntu 23.10 on my laptop and have noticed problems with applications, for example the newest inkscape has lots of problems with getting libraries of the correct version on 23.10. It would not surprise me if 7d2d has problems finding libraries as well. I would guess LTS would be the better bet at the moment

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

Thoughts on a21 b30:

.Good work with the optimizations @faatal & Co, I've been testing 7dtd 21.2 b30 in an integrated graphics card from 2013 and it works astonishingly well at 30fps lowest settings 720p. And 480p runs perfect at 60+fps (4k map). Very little stuttering (still there at times in heavy cities with heavy numbers). That's just impressive.

On a side note, RWG needs quite a bit of work. Biome percentages work ok if all 4 are exactly equal in size for any map size, but if you tweak the numbers for lower-than-6k sizes wonky things happen, like just 2 biomes generate or things like that.

Also, we need an option to pick which map border we want, like setting them to Mountains OR Water. What is the point to deselect rivers and lakes if you are sure to find plenty of water in at least 1 side of the border? Aside from POI and remnants with water that is. Those are plenty enough already.

LOD is better, I can't quite put my finger on it, but the transitions are better for many assets and grass and stuff.

There's another issue that needs to be tweaked: The thing about looting small objects and have them dissappearing is awesome, but why is it that I can still use my stone axe or wrench to take away some hitpoints from a bird's nest and get feathers or wrench a water collector with items inside before taking them so it doesn't dissappear? same with plastic from trash, paper, etc. I believe that is not intended since the change?

I noticed in the patch notes for the new experimental release that lockable inventory slots are now enabled by default. I downloaded the new release and sure enough there are now lockable inventory slots. OMG, it seems like this has been something I have seen people asking for forever, and now we finally have it. I thought when I checked forum that surely someone else would have commented on that by now. Anyways, I just wanted to say thank you to the TFP team for making this awesome QOL change.

6 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Thoughts on a21 b30:

.Good work with the optimizations @faatal & Co, I've been testing 7dtd 21.2 b30 in an integrated graphics card from 2013 and it works astonishingly well at 30fps lowest settings 720p. And 480p runs perfect at 60+fps (4k map). Very little stuttering (still there at times in heavy cities with heavy numbers). That's just impressive.

On a side note, RWG needs quite a bit of work. Biome percentages work ok if all 4 are exactly equal in size for any map size, but if you tweak the numbers for lower-than-6k sizes wonky things happen, like just 2 biomes generate or things like that.

Also, we need an option to pick which map border we want, like setting them to Mountains OR Water. What is the point to deselect rivers and lakes if you are sure to find plenty of water in at least 1 side of the border? Aside from POI and remnants with water that is. Those are plenty enough already.

LOD is better, I can't quite put my finger on it, but the transitions are better for many assets and grass and stuff.

There's another issue that needs to be tweaked: The thing about looting small objects and have them dissappearing is awesome, but why is it that I can still use my stone axe or wrench to take away some hitpoints from a bird's nest and get feathers or wrench a water collector with items inside before taking them so it doesn't dissappear? same with plastic from trash, paper, etc. I believe that is not intended since the change?

I bet once they add the window tint system stuff will be so much smother

2 hours ago, YourMirror said:

Why on earth would they tell you?

Because he's special! Ok