Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

13 hours ago, 4sheetzngeegles said:

I have a two questions, because, I happened upon the Wagner residence.

Will climbable rope become a part of the regular game, and if so will
dogs be able to climb the rope too?

Suggested recipe, cloth and fiber woven from grass.

I would like to see this as something we can craft as well.  I believe it allows the same climbing ability as a ladder.

I would like to see this as something we can craft as well.  I believe it allows the same climbing ability as a ladder

I was working on my pet project. Had created a 2k custom world, when I saw it.
I had walked by the poi multiple times, before I noticed the rope suspended from
the beam. I got curious and approached it. The rest is recent history.

It allowed me to climb, and it blended with the scenario. The nicest part about
it was that it felt like a natural alternative, and compensated for the invisible
part of partial blocks.

PS: The zip lines that I mentioned, a long time ago was a misnomer on my part.

Sorry about that.

It was actually a grappling hook that i had thought of. But of course a grappler

used at the right angle would provide a zip line. Finding this reminded me of that.

Edited by 4sheetzngeegles (see edit history)

On 12/17/2023 at 1:02 AM, Blake_ said:

Maybe it's too soon, maybe I'm an insensitive piece of sausage, but I have to ask: Who inherited the daunting task of continuing RWG work for 7dtd and a22? More like the elephant in the room, it's like a T-REX with a monocycle stomping nuts inside a tiny shed.

No one currently. May not be changed much for A22.

On 12/17/2023 at 1:02 AM, Blake_ said:

Maybe it's too soon, maybe I'm an insensitive piece of sausage, but I have to ask: Who inherited the daunting task of continuing RWG work for 7dtd and a22?

During the time 7d2d has been  in alpha i have personally known players, modders who have past away... Odds are alot of people have known someone who playd this game over the last 10 years who isn't with us now. I think your question is very acceptable and brings up another question how much longer is this going delay the game going gold? Odds say we all well know more people who pass before this game goes gold. 

People get so hung up on it, but the label is utterly meaningless. Devs say whatever they want about their games and there's zero consistency from one game to the next. Some say Beta, some say Alpha, some say League, Season, Patch, or Expansion, but it's all the same damn thing - an update.

Now if you want to blame game developers for making those terms meaningless, sure, but that's not just TFP, that's basically the whole industry.

on the auger for any future updates.

with maxed mining skills, the steel pick axe out strips the auger making it irrelevant

used to be, having the full set of mining books, you had a 10% chance to 1 shot ores and stone blocks. that made the auger with its high hit speed but low damage value out mine pick axes. but the current way it is, I can 1 shot stone, gravel, coal, shale, and nitrate  and 2 shot iron and lead with a steel pick axe, but takes 4 hits to take out stone, and 6 to take out the others with the auger. This drastically slows down mining, wastes gas, and is so far noisier than any other method of mining. It makes the auger for practical purposes obsolete.

with auger supposedly meant to be the top end mining tool, the current abilities and costs make it only better than stone tools. I am not sure how to make it the top end with fuel costs, low block damage and heat accumulation, but I do think this is something that needs to be addressed going forward.

Edited by wolfbain5 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

with maxed mining skills, the steel pick axe out strips the auger making it irrelevant

used to be, having the full set of mining books, you had a 10% chance to 1 shot ores and stone blocks. that made the auger with its high hit speed but low damage value out mine pick axes. but the current way it is, I can 1 shot stone, gravel, coal, shale, and nitrate  and 2 shot iron and lead with a steel pick axe, but takes 4 hits to take out stone, and 6 to take out the others with the auger. This drastically slows down mining, wastes gas, and is so far noisier than any other method of mining. It makes the auger for practical purposes obsolete.

with auger supposedly meant to be the top end mining tool, the current abilities and costs make it only better than stone tools. I am not sure how to make it the top end with fuel costs, low block damage and heat accumulation, but I do think this is something that needs to be addressed going forward.

completely agree if you arent mining metal blocks/clay the auger feels really underwhelming (like you said it chugs gas and now gas is much harder than it used to be to craft and it makes a ton of heat) the auger is only ever so slightly faster if you have a steel pick that can 2 hit metal blocks i feel the progression for the motor tools still isnt worth it as a tier 1 auger is much worse than a lvl 6 steel pick still for mining.

Edited by Callum123456789 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

these numbers are tested on a t5 quality steel pick axe vs a t5 quality auger. both with bunker buster, iron breaker, and grave digger mods installed.

1 hour ago, Callum123456789 said:

completely agree if you arent mining metal blocks/clay the auger feels really underwhelming (like you said it chugs gas and now gas is much harder than it used to be to craft and it makes a ton of heat) the auger is only ever so slightly faster if you have a steel pick that can 2 hit metal blocks i feel the progression for the motor tools still isnt worth it as a tier 1 auger is much worse than a lvl 6 steel pick still for mining.

t1 of the next tier of almost any weapon/tool/armor will always be worse than a t5 of the previous. they need to be staggered better.

pistols as an example

pipe pistol t1,t2,t3, 9mm pistol t1, pipe t4, 9mm t2,... etc would make for better mix and balancing