Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

Questions/Feedback on A21

1. why does my character and all other characters on our server make the upset tummy sound when drinking pure mineral water?

2. We have been a seeing a lot of cops facing 90 degrees perpendicular to us puking on us and hitting us as if we were straight in front of him. It was my understanding that there puke was only supposed to hit in a cone in front of them not to the side and behind them.

3. We have had cops puking on us when there was no way they could see us (crouched, no lights, no movement, solid steel cubes all around us)

4. We have been taking splash damage from cop puke THRU solid steel cubes surrounding us without the blocks being destroyed. Surely this cannot be intentional.

5. Several canned foods (chicken soup, miso soup, pears, chicken rations) don't have a recipe they are used in. Is this intentional or an oversight?

42 minutes ago, Old Crow said:

though it's also an early image.

Yeah this. Maybe we're already interpreting too much into it.

I mean was this picture indeed posted as an example for different available armor pieces/slots? No it wasn't.

It was an animation sample for the new player models.

It was not said that this had anything to do with clothing/armor, they might just have decided it would be inappopriate to let the guy sneak around with waving banana, and so gave him some random clothing parts that could have nothing to do with the final "product".

Edited by meilodasreh (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Kalex said:

1. why does my character and all other characters on our server make the upset tummy sound when drinking pure mineral water?

2. We have been a seeing a lot of cops facing 90 degrees perpendicular to us puking on us and hitting us as if we were straight in front of him. It was my understanding that there puke was only supposed to hit in a cone in front of them not to the side and behind them.

3. We have had cops puking on us when there was no way they could see us (crouched, no lights, no movement, solid steel cubes all around us)

4. We have been taking splash damage from cop puke THRU solid steel cubes surrounding us without the blocks being destroyed. Surely this cannot be intentional.

5. Several canned foods (chicken soup, miso soup, pears, chicken rations) don't have a recipe they are used in. Is this intentional or an oversight?

1. I've noticed this with several drinks. I'm thinking it's a "cool" new drinking sound.

2. I was noticing this in A20 as well. I'm sure they'll blame this on latency or something.

5. These have been like this for quite a while. Some canned foods are meant strictly as food items early on, I think, before you can start cooking things or can't cook very many better meals.

11 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

I think the artstyle is pretty good. Really the only thing weird is when the outbreak takes place.  Some parts feels like days ago and some look a few years old. But games like fallout do that as well.  So it's whatever.  

While I don't like some changes to models like the hunting knife and feral wight, they aren't bad just personally I don't like it. 

I wouldn't say it's a unique artstyle.  But like what Guns Nerd and steel said 

"They are definitely going for a goofy, grung aesthetic, where AK stocks are in less supply than shovel handled and replacement motorcycle seats are less common then toilet seats"

However the sense of humor in the game has always been one of my favorites and has gotten better.  Especially with in game brands. Stuff like "the boobie trap", "eye candy", Ohreally auto. Alot I see is like Dad jokes timed 20x and I love it. 

I personally can't wait to play it on console with my work buddies.  Cuz my PC is on its way out. 

6axoeq~2.jpg

Exactly what i'm saying :

11 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

Some parts feels like days ago and some look a few years old.

You spotted this same thing - totaly inconsistent. and that's a problem.  Like it was made by SYFY Official Site "Damian we are making zombie movie now then this post apo , later sequel for this movie about aliens. So to cut cost let say guys to make in way that allow to reused as much stuff as possible to cut costs ".

Goofy aesthetic have Dead Rising or B4B. Here is unfortunatly low/medium budget movie aesthetic.

6 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Exactly what i'm saying :

I know but too me I'm fine with it. Games like fallout do it.

While I would like some stuff changed.  It's not that big of a deal. The game is close to gold. 

The stuff that I mostly want changed is QOL, decorations and building parts like the new gates and barbed wire. And survival changes 

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

I know but too me I'm fine with it. Games like fallout do it.

While I would like some stuff changed.  It's not that big of a deal. The game is close to gold. 

The stuff that I mostly want changed is QOL, decorations and building parts like the new gates and barbed wire. And survival changes 

Well gameplay is fine for me just artstyle.  Fallout is just parody and you know "alternative univese" stuff. 7DTD change from classic zombie artystyle  into this. That's why i'm @%$# off - i spend money on classic style zombie game while now i have mad max with zombies instead xd

8 hours ago, Kalex said:

Seeing the same thing here, and don't call me Shirley.

3 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Well gameplay is fine for me just artstyle.  Fallout is just parody and you know "alternative univese" stuff. 7DTD change from classic zombie artystyle  into this. That's why i'm @%$# off - i spend money on classic style zombie game while now i have mad max with zombies instead xd

I mean the only thing I'm upset with the artstyle with is just down grades of things 

We went from a nice sexy bowie knife to a cheap hunting knife you could buy at your local ace. 

We went from the feral wight being a scary looking goblin mode zombie, 

To a naked looking dude going goblin mode

Aside from that I don't mind it

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

I mean the only thing I'm upset with the artstyle with is just down grades of things 

We went from a nice sexy bowie knife to a cheap hunting knife you could buy at your local ace. 

We went from the feral wight being a scary looking goblin mode zombie, 

To a naked looking dude going goblin mode

Aside from that I don't mind it

Well for me biggest downgrade get crawler. This model is totaly awful.  😕

37 minutes ago, beerfly said:

A bit of a touch in his ragdoll and behaviour is what it needs for us to be scared, not just wack it out and go on. Hope it is a matter of time. It does need some finishing touches. 

tbh i was kinda sad when i say they got speed buffs were they could run at night, i thought they were going to be like a Fast cod zombie crawlers but instead, it was just a small speed boost

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

So... how many more patches are scheduled for A21?

Are we almost there? Or are you planning on 2/3 more? :ranger:

I'm asking because the more A21 is dragged on, the more the A22 goal post moves into the future.

Alpha 20 was like 4 I believe.  And they posting about alpha 22 alot more then they did with alpha 21

9 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

So... how many more patches are scheduled for A21?

Are we almost there? Or are you planning on 2/3 more? :ranger:

I'm asking because the more A21 is dragged on, the more the A22 goal post moves into the future.

Since A21 patches are just a collection of changes that were copied back to A21 there is almost no time lost for A22. They could put out a meaningful new patch for A21 and release the next alpha on the next day if they wanted

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

6 hours ago, meganoth said:

Since A21 patches are just a collection of changes that were copied back to A21 there is almost no time lost for A21. They could put out a meaningful new patch for A21 and release the next alpha on the next day if they wanted

I hope so.

50 minutes ago, FramFramson said:

Honestly, any more animal variety would be welcome.

Tbh there's only so much wildlife in Arizona. The only thing really that could be added is like turkeys, bighorn sheep, black bears. But more of the wildlife spawning in other biomes would be better 

*note, I know there's much more but I'm talking about stuff that would have a role for ambience like a raccoon or something 

Like cougars in bars... I mean In forest and deserts, hostile wildlife in the forest like coyotes being in forest more common but zombies also eat them and other wildlife.  

Or more zombie animals. Like deer, boars, maybe a zombie cougar bar? 

Really TFP just need to focus on bandits and special zombies. The only thing with animals is updated models but that's it really cuz some look.... goofy

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

5 hours ago, hiemfire said:

Already in game (black bears don't all have black fur). Grizzly/brown bear are much larger.

I don't know that I'd agree that the bears are black bears in the game.  Black bears are relatively small (for bears) and the bears in the game are about as tall at the shoulders while on all fours as you.  A black bear would be about half your height (on all fours).  Granted, a grizzly is also going to be shorter than you, though not as much as a black bear.  Considering no real bears will be as tall on all fours as those in the game, I guess you could assume they are black bears, though I still would pick a grizzly or brown bear (or even a kodiak) as they are all larger than a black bear on average.

Black bears are also generally going to run away from you unless there are cubs involved or you really make it mad.  Unless you want to imagine that the bears are all starving and so will attack for that reason, but considering the amount of prey animals around, that wouldn't really make sense.  Other bears are less skittish than the black bear.

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

I don't know that I'd agree that the bears are black bears in the game.  Black bears are relatively small (for bears) and the bears in the game are about as tall at the shoulders while on all fours as you.  A black bear would be about half your height (on all fours).  Granted, a grizzly is also going to be shorter than you, though not as much as a black bear.  Considering no real bears will be as tall on all fours as those in the game, I guess you could assume they are black bears, though I still would pick a grizzly or brown bear (or even a kodiak) as they are all larger than a black bear on average.

Black bears are also generally going to run away from you unless there are cubs involved or you really make it mad.  Unless you want to imagine that the bears are all starving and so will attack for that reason, but considering the amount of prey animals around, that wouldn't really make sense.  Other bears are less skittish than the black bear.

The bears in the game are brown bears and not black bears because they're large, aggressive, and... Brown.