Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

1 hour ago, zztong said:

Suddenly, I have the inspiration to mix some of the landmine XML into a shopping cart object.

I drove over a gas barrel laying on its side once because it was hidden behind a tree and I didn't see it.  That was fun.  The person driving behind me got stuck in the hole I left from the explosion and I lost quite a lot of durability in my 4x4.  Fun times.  :)

With how much I hit shopping carts since half the time I don't see them until I'm almost on top of them, that would be diabolical.  Lol!

Speaking of explosions.... watching your propane POI explode is a BLAST!  Definitely have to watch your shots in there.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Speaking of explosions.... watching your propane POI explode is a BLAST!  Definitely have to watch your shots in there.

Heh, yeh. Kaboom LPG -- "Don't miss (a lot)" was part of the design of that POI. If I draw that POI as a quest, I like to set it off before resetting it. It tends to summon a couple of screamers. :)

Trivia: There's a weak point in the tall propane tank that lets the explosion get through to all the barrels within.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

That's great news! Thanks for the reply! :) 

So, the water programmer is aiming for a "flawless" release... :heh:

He submitted a fix, so hopefully it is fixed in testing.

9 minutes ago, meilodasreh said:

thank god, now it can be released without throwing the water programmer into depression because his work seems considered as not that important.

You know a company is responsible for their employee's health.

Do you crunch a water programmer? Or is it more 'sploosh'? 

Greetings & salutations. New player here, 1.st playthrough with GF terrified of zombies, day 90ish in progress.

Unlike some people here, I'll try to be constructive.

1. Damn some of you are such spammers/trollers. TL;DR and @%$#ing contests. Admins should get rid of off-topic or semi-off-topic essay writers. 274 pages, could have easily been 50 with 0 loss.

2. Biting zombies. I'd love seeing some  Either as a special type ("Gnawler") or as a %chance heavy attack/normal attack when they come too close. Guaranteed infection + bigger damage.

3. Why is there sooo many bones/skins? I mean, is there anyone lacking them...like ever?

4. Trees should not grow so fast. I understand some biomes are lacking in trees, but come on. This way you'd have to plan ahead more

5. Any chance for:

A. zombie kids? (Smaller, weaker, faster). If Dying light can have them...maybe they'd be of the biting kind - easy to kill but fast moving + infectious if they bite you.

B. Random zombie appearance (as in, different hairstyles, attire...I guess that would take some coding, since now they are just textures and this would make them...modular? How difficult would this be to make? How CPU intensive?)

C. Fire being used more effectively? For example, flamethrower traps that use gasoline, methods of lighting them up for longer periods/more hp loss (cause right now the burning shaft mod is kinda pathetic). Seeing how now we have fire implemented, would be a shame not to use it more.

D. More non - humanoid threats? For example spiders, something in the water to make you want to traverse it asap (zombie electric eel shocking you hehe), and maybe a mole-like threat being unearthed as you dig a mine, the deeper you go the bigger the chance you let one or even a bunch of those critters out... I really love how birds behave, stalking you above before attacking you - or not, they just circle menicingly. Wish there was more wildlife out there, both regular and zombified.

E. Zombie pheromone. Makes you "invisible" to zombies for x duration. Dropped from high-end targets. Does not work vs animals, and should that happen, wears off vs zombies as well, as soon as you are hit.

I apologise for the length of this. Hope you find some of it of value.

Edited by DDDX
Add-on (see edit history)

50 minutes ago, Doomofman said:

Next weekend confirmed, you heard it here first folks 😝

Yeah, well they already got the server to hang. Not sure if it is another issue with water, something else or the world being a bit old and abused. Testing continues...

32 minutes ago, DDDX said:

Admins should get rid of off-topic or semi-off-topic essay writers. 274 pages, could have easily been 50 with 0 loss.

A warm welcome to the forum my friend.

May I kindly inform you, that the very most content of your post consists of suggestions considering how the game should be,

and therefore belongs into the "pimp dreams" section of this forum, instead of the "news and announcements" section, and/or in special into A21 dev diary thread.

One could go as far as saying, the whole thing you wrote is just one big off-topic essay.

that said, some nice ideas there.

Edited by meilodasreh (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, faatal said:

Yeah, well they already got the server to hang. Not sure if it is another issue with water, something else or the world being a bit old and abused. Testing continues...

Next year confirmed, you heard it here first folks 😆

11 hours ago, faatal said:

The water sim programmer is working on that one. Granted we may find other nasty bugs as the testers continue testing.

1) Devote all resources to helping that water sim programmer!

2) Send all testers home!

3) Release the Kraken!

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

1 hour ago, DDDX said:

Greetings & salutations. New player here, 1.st playthrough with GF terrified of zombies, day 90ish in progress.

Unlike some people here, I'll try to be constructive.

1. Damn some of you are such spammers/trollers. TL;DR and @%$#ing contests. Admins should get rid of off-topic or semi-off-topic essay writers. 274 pages, could have easily been 50 with 0 loss.

2. Biting zombies. I'd love seeing some  Either as a special type ("Gnawler") or as a %chance heavy attack/normal attack when they come too close. Guaranteed infection + bigger damage.

3. Why is there sooo many bones/skins? I mean, is there anyone lacking them...like ever?

4. Trees should not grow so fast. I understand some biomes are lacking in trees, but come on. This way you'd have to plan ahead more

5. Any chance for:

A. zombie kids? (Smaller, weaker, faster). If Dying light can have them...maybe they'd be of the biting kind - easy to kill but fast moving + infectious if they bite you.

B. Random zombie appearance (as in, different hairstyles, attire...I guess that would take some coding, since now they are just textures and this would make them...modular? How difficult would this be to make? How CPU intensive?)

C. Fire being used more effectively? For example, flamethrower traps that use gasoline, methods of lighting them up for longer periods/more hp loss (cause right now the burning shaft mod is kinda pathetic). Seeing how now we have fire implemented, would be a shame not to use it more.

D. More non - humanoid threats? For example spiders, something in the water to make you want to traverse it asap (zombie electric eel shocking you hehe), and maybe a mole-like threat being unearthed as you dig a mine, the deeper you go the bigger the chance you let one or even a bunch of those critters out... I really love how birds behave, stalking you above before attacking you - or not, they just circle menicingly. Wish there was more wildlife out there, both regular and zombified.

E. Zombie pheromone. Makes you "invisible" to zombies for x duration. Dropped from high-end targets. Does not work vs animals, and should that happen, wears off vs zombies as well, as soon as you are hit.

I apologise for the length of this. Hope you find some of it of value.

1- This is pruned regularly.

2- Biting or hitting, it is really all the same thing other than animations.  Not really a big deal, imo.

3- Well, most people are dead at this point and any food with bones would have rotted away too only bones.

4- Gameplay trumps realism.  If it takes too long to grow things, no one will bother.

5a- The devs stated this will never happen.  I believe some countries wouldn't allow the game because even if they are zombies, it would still be looked at as killing kids.  So definitely not happening.

5b- Regularly suggested by players.  No definitive answer from devs but they don't seem interested.

5c- They added a flame environmental hazard for A21.  There is hope they'll add a flame weapon or trap before gold.

5d- There is talk of some kind of water creature but nothing confirmed.  Meat is already so easy to get that they aren't likely to add anything that gives more meat when killed without a good reason.

5e- No thanks.  Being able to stock up on it and complete a POI without fighting anything isn't a good thing.

As mentioned, suggestions should go in the Pimp Dreams forum.  As you pointed out, this thread is long.  Anything posted in it will get lost quickly.  Suggestions in the other forum will be far more visible.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

Damn. My shame knows no bounds.

Have migrated the above written to Pipe dreaming, feel free to delete both this and my above entry.

Looking forward to a21 and wasting them through the door, that'll be a big difference

1 hour ago, faatal said:

Ahhh yes the old "my test environment is so beat up I can't tell if the issue is real or broken just for me"

36 minutes ago, DDDX said:

Damn. My shame knows no bounds.

Have migrated the above written to Pipe dreaming, feel free to delete both this and my above entry.

nothing to be ashamed here.

Even lots of "old" members here use this thread to post things like this here, despite better knowledge,

because it just seems to be the better place for getting the ideas to attention...this is by far the most active thread.

But as Riamus stated, it can lead to the opposite. Things will get lost very quickly,

at the latest when one of the mods does the regular "flush-away" and stuff gets moved over to the "discussion overflow" thread.

16 minutes ago, Gamida said:

Water cooled...

Hey come on now you were all thinking it

but it over-heated... thus the bug issue they are trying to resolve. :)

25 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Yeah, it's incredible what these programmers come up with to justify a delay, am I right? :heh:

but the favorite excuse is "no excuse at all"  :)