Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

2 hours ago, Jay_ombie said:

This burns, we waited over a year to be placed in a situation where we have a good weekend and opportunity to play along side the streamers share the fun plus experiance but instead we have to sit and watch agonisingly again (dev streams already watched before hand) before we get our hands on it 'some time after'.

Be nice if they changed this method of delivery and be fare to there supported loyal customer base and release into experimental to everyone at the same time which they so easily could do.

You never want to release to the public on a Friday because any game breaking bugs won't be fixed until Monday when the devs return.  Some studios do release Friday and more often than not, everyone suffers because of it.  Not only that, but streamers play a major role in game sales and so giving them a little bit of a head start (a few days is hardly a big deal) is a good thing.  You aren't waiting any longer than if they didn't do the streamer weekend anyhow.  They'd still release on Monday.

Is infestation a new quest type or is it a modifier for the current quest types.  For example can u have an infestion restore power quest or infestation find the courier satchel thing.  Or is it always kill all zombies?

Im thinking its a seperate type but would make more sense as a modifier?

Edited by SnowDog1942 (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Is infestation a new quest type or is it a modifier for the current quest types.  For example can u have an infestion restore power quest or infestation find the courier satchel thing.  Or is it always kill all zombies?

For now it seems to be its own quest type.  But I have a feeling they will add it as a modifier.  Fetch and infestation,  lol I was going to say a bunch of things, but I can't think of any lol.

36 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

From the way it sounds, it's just a clear.  I saw something about thinking about other quest types with the infestation "modifier", but I don't remember if that was just talk on the forum or if it was something said during the dev stream.  I think there are definitely options to expand it to other types of quests and I do agree that it would work better as a modifier than a separate quest.  But maybe they are doing it this way just as a balance on what quests you can get or something like that.

One thing I think they should be considering as they add additional quest types is having more quest choices available per day.  If they are concerned how many people might do in a day, then they could just let you do X number of quests per day, but give you more choices.  With additional quest types, there are going to be more chance of quest types people don't want to do and, like when you get 5 buried treasure or 5 restore power quests in a day, it just isn't a great thing.  Having more choices would really help to let people do the quests they enjoy.

6 hours ago, Riamus said:

Keep in mind that Mid-May is for experimental.  Most people who buy the game from that sale aren't going to be using experimental, so trying to align it with the sale wouldn't make any sense.  The plan is that they complete their dev streams (I think there might be one more this week), then do streamer weekend, then release that Monday after the streamer weekend.  This assumes no major bugs appear before then that may push it back.  Experimental does not include everything that is in A21, though most.  Certain things may be added during experimental like more POI updates and bug fixes before A21 goes officially live.

Ah, yeah. That's a good point.

sorry if this has been said already, but I've seen from the last couple of pages people talking about experimental on a Monday. do we have a exact date or is it kind of a timeline as i also saw a mid may comment but it wasn't from a fun pimps staff. have a great week guys cant wait for alpha 21 been playing 7dtd since alpha 14. 

so a question that may/may not have been asked...can we turn the fire gas hazards back ON? like, why not make it a trap and you can refuel it with fast. cause if they are prema off when you shut them off whats stoping someone from just making a horde base around those traps?

2 hours ago, david18 said:

sorry if this has been said already, but I've seen from the last couple of pages people talking about experimental on a Monday. do we have a exact date or is it kind of a timeline as i also saw a mid may comment but it wasn't from a fun pimps staff. have a great week guys cant wait for alpha 21 been playing 7dtd since alpha 14. 

Pick from May 8th, 15th, 22nd, or 29th. I think we’ll know in the next couple days if it is the 8th or not. Weekend of the 15th is Mother’s Day. Weekend of the 29th is Memorial Day which is typically a day off for TFP. 

Im guessing it’s either the 22nd or it’ll be June. Of course, mothers can turn like anyone else so maybe the 15th.

Safest is to assume June honestly and then be pleasantly surprised if it happens this month. 

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

16 minutes ago, Roland said:

Pick from May 8th, 15th, 22nd, or 29th. I think we’ll know in the next couple days if it is the 8th or not. Weekend of the 15th is Mother’s Day. Weekend of the 29th is Memorial Day which is typically a day off for TFP. 

Im guessing it’s either the 22nd or it’ll be June. Of course, mothers can turn like anyone else so maybe the 15th.

Safest is to assume June honestly and then be pleasantly surprised if it happens this month. 

I do respect you with all my heart, but I am just glad that you are not into a lottery tickets` sales. 

4 hours ago, david18 said:

Richard said mid-May in the dev stream, but that it was just an estimated timeframe and may change based on any bugs that appear that may be too bad to be able to release until they get fixed.  They also explained that it will be a streamer weekend and the Monday right after that (the next day) will be the release.  There is no exact date, though.  As Roland said, it could be June.  But I'm still leaning towards May and possibly this coming Monday.  But I am optimistic.  ;)

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Roland said:

Ready to pull the trigger lol. I think it is on a gun. might just be potatoes.

The streamers have a tough deal really.  Unless you are one of the "silly high jinks" *Cough Neebs Cough* types, they will have to look relatively competent and there is little to no time to "play test" A21 before you have to show it. 

So, if I was a streamer, I'd:

-Question anyone in the know about how to build the evaporator (Maybe the key piece to survival?).  I heard that one piece to build it can't be manufactured by the player but must be found.  What is it and where are the common places to get/buy it.

-Next I'd focus on being extra careful in the "Infested" POI's as they will be where 90% of experienced players will die (IMO).  Again, I'd ask anyone who has played them already and ask for general tips.

Thats about it.  I can think of four streamers that will have little problems.  Others will die for the LOLs and the rest will die in Infested POI's.  Maybe one or two might die from thirst.

Any other pregame pridictions?  :)

I don't know that you give streamers enough credit.  If they are regular 7D2D streamers, then they know how to play the game.  It's already been stated you can buy the filter from the trader and it is only rarely found elsewhere, so if they are paying any attention (a regular streamer is likely paying attention), they already know this.  And even if they don't, the fact that it's a rare find other than as a trader purchase means it's likely to be found at the trader easily enough that anyone looking at the trader's inventory will probably find it.  As far as dying in infestation quests, unless you try one at level 1, it isn't going to be all that difficult to stay alive for any experienced player.  The challenge will really come from the tier 5 infestation quests and by then you've already done a number of them, so will understand what to expect.  If someone has no idea what the infestation quest is and tries it for their first quest right away (or they just want to try and prove themselves), then you'll see deaths from many of them.  But any regular 7D2D streamer should know about infestation quests already and have enough experience with the game to handle those.  If they choose to do it day 1 for their first quest, then they may struggle.  But honestly, as a tier 1 infestation is pretty much a tier 2 quest, I really don't see any difficulty even for a first quest.  Tier 2 quests really aren't all that much more difficult than tier 1 quests so if you know what you're doing, tier 1 infestations shouldn't be all that difficult to complete.

And as far as dying of thirst?  This change will not make that any real risk.  You might have to drink murky water and risk dysentery but you aren't going to have much risk of dying of thirst.  The water change is supposed to make it more difficult but it really just makes you more likely to drink murky water and have to work harder to have clean water.  That isn't any increased risk.  After all, unless you have no water on your map, all you have to do is go to a culvert or river or lake to get a drink.

If you're talking about streamers who've never played the game before and get into streamer weekend, then sure, they may struggle.  But they'd probably struggle even without infestation quests without having any idea what to expect.

With the water filter if it just a spam all the traders you know every restock day...  Thats not a challenge, that's just tedium then it's a nothing when you have enough...   

Now if its a reward for a "Restore power" quest or something like that, then it's interesting.

With the Infestation quests, we will see.  Of course, some streamers will edit out anything that makes them look... less than amazing.  The ones that live stream and succeed, props to them for sure.

51 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

With the water filter if it just a spam all the traders you know every restock day...  Thats not a challenge, that's just tedium then it's a nothing when you have enough...   

Now if its a reward for a "Restore power" quest or something like that, then it's interesting.

Well I never use the Trader shop in any of my Playthrough. Sure doing quests and selling stuff is fine. But I never buy anything. Feels cheap for me. Makes everything too easy. I often play without quests because the rewards mmake it too easy as well. So I will have a good challenge with water early game :)

2 hours ago, Aldranon said:

-Next I'd focus on being extra careful in the "Infested" POI's as they will be where 90% of experienced players will die (IMO).  Again, I'd ask anyone who has played them already and ask for general tips.

I higly doubt the infested quests will be anything but a nuisance for anyone really experienced. Kite zombies for longer, that'll be it imo.

edit: I'll be happy if I'm underestimating them

Edited by Gronal (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Diragor said:

Well I never use the Trader shop in any of my Playthrough. Sure doing quests and selling stuff is fine. But I never buy anything. Feels cheap for me. Makes everything too easy. I often play without quests because the rewards mmake it too easy as well. So I will have a good challenge with water early game :)

I will buy the filters, but I'm hoping that something changes in the future.  

If it doesn't then why not go all out and sell oxygen tanks for the Wasteland and/or deep underground.

However, I'm sure you just made new material for one of the skilled streamers:  "No water filters for 100 days".  Or something like that.  :) 

1 hour ago, Gronal said:

I higly doubt the infested quests will be anything but a nuisance for anyone really experienced. Kite zombies for longer, that'll be it imo.

They have said numerous times, they are not building a game for someone that has 1000 hours in 7D2D, I just like the added variation, and for new players it will be a challenge.

1 hour ago, Gronal said:

I can safely say:  I don't know.  :)

But I was mostly thinking of the early game where stamina is usually all you got before you're S.O.L.  POI's with restricted movement, areas where maneuver and kiting could be cut off with the right conditions.

Somewhere mid to late game, it might be just an ammo management decision whether to attack an infested POI or not.

2 hours ago, Gronal said:

I also think it will be more zombie kiting but I still like it more zombies is always a plus for me imo hopefully there will be a higher game stage bonus for said infestation clears e.g a 30% bonus of your current game stage to run into more difficult zombies faster etc.

Edited by Callum123456789 (see edit history)

Sounds like there is some confusion of infested POI vs an infestation quest.  There are 389 POIs that are tagged for an infestation mission, but going into one outside of an infestation quest will not bring double the zombies.  So doing a random loot (not an infestation quest) of a POI that is tagged for an infestation quest will just result in the standard amount of zombies.

21 hours ago, Riamus said:

He said mid-May.  Not just May.  :)

Maybe.

1st post of this thread says just May. Which may or may not be the case after all.

Lathan also specifically said that we shouldn't expect it to be released May1st (and his initial reaction to Rick's half spoken sentence was speaking volumes)

You are of course aware that I was just fooling around with this in the first place.

But you have to keep in mind a common forum rule:

Don't feed the trowl.

You may not.

Come what may.

Let's see tips....🤔

Don't take for granted the early game foods / items?

In a recent playthrough (default settings), I was pleasantly surprised how I ended up "needing" to use more items early game (e.g. aloe cream, cooked corn, potatoe, vending machines, etc.)

I completely forgot how having hunger/thrust below 50% makes stamina management even more important.  I recall using bullets more frequently because of said hunger / thirst issues. (A good thing imo)

Took me a bit to find a cooking pot this time through (although I did loot 2 grills lol) and also had a 1km hike to the trader.  Because I could only cook crappy foods, I tried to focus looting kitchens for cooking magazines so I could make the grilled meats.

I consider myself a casual player so your mileage will vary.

Edit: ended up buying a water filter from the trader so I could build a dew collector asap.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)