Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

6 hours ago, Laz Man said:

You might be pleasantly surprised...😁

It would be cool if there was rubble for one of the pois. At this point I am not surprised. You have a building that the whole poi is side ways. My question is did you guys add broken roofing that doesn't remind be that this is a voxel game. 

5 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I think I remember Rick saying in the Dev Stream that there's probably only one or two textures which were "deprecated" and replaced with new ones.

I remember that too. I wish we knew in advance which ones so I could begin to hunt down the changes in my POIs. Deprecated textures is my own private hell. The A19 to A20 conversion changed a metal texture into a mirror and I'm still finding those and fixing them.

11 hours ago, faatal said:

Friday, I started on the forge mesh showing/hiding each tool and it seems to be working. This will probably make it into A21. Code supports all workstation types, so will be simple enough to do the rest as new models/features are added.

What's the xml look like on that, i.e. will we be able to target some lines and use our own meshes?

12 hours ago, faatal said:

Friday, I started on the forge mesh showing/hiding each tool and it seems to be working. This will probably make it into A21. Code supports all workstation types, so will be simple enough to do the rest as new models/features are added.

That's awesome, when you say new models are you referring to the other workstations/crafting stations like the campfire having a new model for example. Just wanted to see if I read this correctly. 

Edited by Crypted (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Guppycur said:

What's the xml look like on that, i.e. will we be able to target some lines and use our own meshes?

No xml. The prefabs are simply setup to have a child object named 1 for for tool slot 1, named 2 for second and so on.

2 hours ago, faatal said:

No xml. The prefabs are simply setup to have a child object named 1 for for tool slot 1, named 2 for second and so on.

Any chance to allow XML configuration on the next pass, whenever that is? Even if it's just a flag to not display the tool?

I know a lot of modders like to add (or revive) different tools for workstations, and this would help with immersion.

Got a question for the DEV's.  

So, with my swampland tiles using the current 'jello' water blocks, I am able to fill the tiles up to the edge with water blocks so that they match cleanly with the adjoining tiles when generated in-game (there is still some occasional 'spillage' that I have to make sure are cleaned up, but it's still manageable.

However, with the new water system that flows fairly freely, I'm concerned that I will not be able to 'contain' the water properly within the Prefab Editor.  Do you know if there will be anything (specialized blocks, etc) that we would be able to use in situations like this?

WaterTile.png

Edited by MichaelL. (see edit history)

42 minutes ago, MichaelL. said:

Got a question for the DEV's.  

So, with my swampland tiles using the current 'jello' water blocks, I am able to fill the tiles up to the edge with water blocks so that they match cleanly with the adjoining tiles when generated in-game (there is still some occasional 'spillage' that I have to make sure are cleaned up, but it's still manageable.

However, with the new water system that flows fairly freely, I'm concerned that I will not be able to 'contain' the water properly within the Prefab Editor.  Do you know if there will be anything (specialized blocks, etc) that we would be able to use in situations like this?

WaterTile.png

Water simulation is disabled by default in the prefab editor so shouldn't be an issue.

2 hours ago, khzmusik said:

Any chance to allow XML configuration on the next pass, whenever that is? Even if it's just a flag to not display the tool?

I know a lot of modders like to add (or revive) different tools for workstations, and this would help with immersion.

You can now do this which I'm putting on the forge xml as a hint (is default without it defined).

<property name="ToolNames" value="1,2,3"/>

New mailman quest.  Why not add a quest that has you deliver packages to other traders? 

It would change things up a bit and add something new. You get a reward of course.  Maybe a bonus to get it done if you do it within a time limit. 

You could also add a surprise or two along the way. 😉

Simple Ideas to Improve the game:

Can you guys consider adding some random elements to the zombie generation?:

Zombie randomization ideas:
(Some of these would probably be pretty simple to add, others a bit more involved)

Clothing colors - (simplest to implement most likely)

Voice pitch adjustment - (within a range)

Voice variations - (maybe even have more silent breathing or moaning variations)

Model walking/movement animation variations

Model skin variations - (a range from fresh zombie to deeply rotted with several steps between)

Zombie damage - (Maybe some of them spawn missing an arm, or a leg, or just cosmetic damage like a twisted arm or head)

Behavioral variations - (Essentially a selection of personalities such as mindless wall bumper, standard AI, crafty/intelligent full AI)

I've been a player of 7 days to die for several years and one thing that really keeps the experience down as a veteran player are the clone zombies. I think at the very least randomizing the color of the outfits they wear would go a long way to add more realism. Even subtle color variations within a range would be fantastic. Ideally adding a full spectrum of randomization would really be next level for this game!

I hope you all consider implementing some of these ideas! 

Edited by Grimlock_Arts (see edit history)

5 hours ago, sillls said:

Wait, is that a thing in 7D2D?

LOL!  To be honest, I'm pretty sure something like this would be doable- a lot of overhauls have custom quests where you have to bring a trader x-number of a certain thing.  And the old vanilla side-quests/tasks usually required killing specific zombies with a specific weapon You could just modify the stopsign/mailboxes to drop a stopsign/mailbox block in your inventory when destroyed/"harvested."  Might change the 4x4 with a baseball bat to make it easier.  

So yeah, it does seem like this ought to be something that could be done.  ;)

6 hours ago, sillls said:

New mailman quest.  Why not add a quest that has you deliver packages to other traders? 

It would change things up a bit and add something new. You get a reward of course.  Maybe a bonus to get it done if you do it within a time limit. 

You could also add a surprise or two along the way. 😉

A big problem with that type of quest is that they are talking about fast travel between traders, so such a quest would be too easy.  I suppose you could require not using fast travel for that quest, but that just feels wrong if you have fast travel.  Besides, with the time it takes to travel between traders without fast travel, having to do quests that are nothing but traveling long distances is not my idea of fun.  At least the special quests that send you to another trader don't require you to do them before doing other quests.  You can get to it when you get to it.  I know some people like those types of quests, but in a game like this, I'd rather quests that relate to killing zombies.

19 minutes ago, MichaelL. said:

LOL!  To be honest, I'm pretty sure something like this would be doable- a lot of overhauls have custom quests where you have to bring a trader x-number of a certain thing.  And the old vanilla side-quests/tasks usually required killing specific zombies with a specific weapon You could just modify the stopsign/mailboxes to drop a stopsign/mailbox block in your inventory when destroyed/"harvested."  Might change the 4x4 with a baseball bat to make it easier.  

So yeah, it does seem like this ought to be something that could be done.  ;)

Considering the excessive damage to your vehicle coming in A21 when you hit stuff, after 20 mailboxes, your 4x4 is probably toast. ;)

58 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Considering the excessive damage to your vehicle coming in A21 when you hit stuff, after 20 mailboxes, your 4x4 is probably toast. ;)

LOL!  Too true!  It's a shame you can't swing a baseball bat out of the window of your truck - that's how true rednecks bash mailboxes...  😁

there would also be an interesting variant of the quest with the protection of the merchant's base. One merchant ordering goods from another to sell (a logical option for other types of goods to appear other than from survivors). You need to get to the merchant and activate the radio, give a signal that you are there. Goods are delivered by helicopter and zombies run to its noise, which will need to be shot until the helicopter flies away, or stops the engines after landing. I think it would be interesting)

If I'm not mistaken, in the old versions, in the very first alphas, it was possible to make several sleeping bags and, accordingly, on any of them it was possible to be reborn after death. If I'm confused, correct me) But if not, please specify why this system was removed and is it possible to return it? it would be convenient to respawn on any comfortable sleeping bag (I like to make several shelters within the reach of merchants. I hope I'm not the only one)

15 minutes ago, DuHast_Play said:

If I'm not mistaken, in the old versions, in the very first alphas, it was possible to make several sleeping bags and, accordingly, on any of them it was possible to be reborn after death. If I'm confused, correct me) But if not, please specify why this system was removed and is it possible to return it? it would be convenient to respawn on any comfortable sleeping bag (I like to make several shelters within the reach of merchants. I hope I'm not the only one)

No, there was never the possibility of multiple bedroll respawn choice after death.

The only option has always been to choose between spawning on the bedroll or near the bedroll.

In A21, for the first time, we will have the option to spawn at the location where we dropped the backpack after dying.