I need to @%$# about this.

Kenkire

I have never gone this long in the game before. I was level 100 on day 60. I had built a base from an underground mine I found. I built a defense cage to ward off the hoards above ground. I was doing well. The big bomb zombies started eating into my hill, so I decided to move all my defensive stuff to a nice sniper tower I saw. I was upgrading it and things were going well. I had nice catwalks made of bars so I could shoot through. I had turrets strategically placed. I was about to start laying down the electric fence when I noticed I had missed a broken window frame on the outside of the wall. I hit it with my pick and that's when the whole tower came down. I lost so much stuff. My boxed were full of hard won parts. I'm really sad. I literally don't want to play anymore. I can't believe the whole tower was weighted on one broken window frame. spacer.png

Sheesh, that looks rough... the SI is hard to grasp, and in such cases, completely annoying. Then again, if the window didn't carry, your tower would've collapsed just a little sooner.

Doesn't help now, but keep backups .. ;)

As for the "I don't want to play anymore" .. it'll pass, pretty quickly. Take a break or not, test some SI stuff in creative while at it and most importantly answer this; was the base awesome? If it was, the time was well spent; all the time poured into a game will eventually be entirely wasted. It's the trip that counts. Take a break, you'll be right back - you can't build that kind of a thing anywhere else .. :)

Yeah this is a very player unfriendly bad gameplay design. I quitted a alpha once when this happend because the half base broke down.

Dont let me place it, show it red, make the single to much block itself drop. There are many better solutions for it. The way 7days handle this is kinda the worse i can imagine.

Its really a joke in the middle of fun gameplay and building crazy stuff to the max the game decides to randomly break your base, wow! Really?

Ouch. I know how you feel. Not as bad as your situation, but I had a storage base separated, but close to the horde night base. Inexplicably, one of the chests inside the storage base was destroyed on horde night. It had all my dukes in it, over 120k. Same feeling as you, kinda killed the playthrough. I'm taking a break now, but have decided the next time I play, I'll backup the save before each horde night.

I'm mostly trying to figure out what that censored word in the title is supposed to be.  I'm running thru all the ones I know and none of them seem to fit very well.  Makes me think I'm missing out on a new one lol.

Okay, had to clean up the thread. No more public speculation on what censored words are, please. :) If people are able to convey the specific word used, to a reader that didn’t come up with it on their own, then it circumvents the point of having the filter.

Edited by Crater Creator
explaining profanity filter (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Kenkire said:

I have never gone this long in the game before. I was level 100 on day 60. I had built a base from an underground mine I found. I built a defense cage to ward off the hoards above ground. I was doing well. The big bomb zombies started eating into my hill, so I decided to move all my defensive stuff to a nice sniper tower I saw. I was upgrading it and things were going well. I had nice catwalks made of bars so I could shoot through. I had turrets strategically placed. I was about to start laying down the electric fence when I noticed I had missed a broken window frame on the outside of the wall. I hit it with my pick and that's when the whole tower came down. I lost so much stuff. My boxed were full of hard won parts. I'm really sad. I literally don't want to play anymore. I can't believe the whole tower was weighted on one broken window frame. spacer.png

my opinion if you can remember what all you had get it back via creative because that is BS and TFP i know you will see this comment please fix SI i have heard of stuff like this happening farrrr too often

it would be nice to hear a floor creaking sound when you place a block on a structure near the edge of collapse to give you the sense that it needs more supporting structure. that seem like an easy ask.

when placing a yellow stability block,

play a creaking floor sound,

when placing an orange stability block

play the floor breaking from under you sound. 

much easier that going into debug mode if you are in the middle of gameplay.

Some audible queue. structures creak like crazy before they actually collapse.

Edited by warmer (see edit history)

19 hours ago, warmer said:

it would be nice to hear a floor creaking sound when you place a block on a structure near the edge of collapse to give you the sense that it needs more supporting structure. that seem like an easy ask.

when placing a yellow stability block,

play a creaking floor sound,

when placing an orange stability block

play the floor breaking from under you sound. 

much easier that going into debug mode if you are in the middle of gameplay.

Some audible queue. structures creak like crazy before they actually collapse.

That would be nice but also unhelpful in this particular case since he was subtracting a block instead of adding a block. How could the game cue the player that the block they are about to remove is the lynchpin of their entire base....?

55 minutes ago, Roland said:

That would be nice but also unhelpful in this particular case since he was subtracting a block instead of adding a block. How could the game cue the player that the block they are about to remove is the lynchpin of their entire base....?

Allow them to remove the block, but if a structural issue is detected by it's removal, it would leave a 'ghost block' and a limited amount of time to place something back there (or give a confirmation prompt that you want to proceed...Y=remove and collapse N= replace with the block that was there).

Edited by Ezed (see edit history)

Check Valheim. The block is red and then breaks down after some seconds. You even have time to place additional stabillity after placing a red block. Best solution. I dont know why breaking half bases to randomly one missplaced block be part of the gameplay anyway.

Thats the moment i turn of the game, maybe quit until next alpha at all. Not nice, can happen anytime. Especially when you play since alpha10 and your builds getting more and more crazy.

On 2/15/2022 at 8:06 AM, 8_Hussars said:

There was a major A20 structural Integrity bug that was fixed.   It was documented and highlighted here and in general seems much better now.

I think that bug has been fixed, but there are still hard to replicate stability bugs. About a week ago, I was building a pole with a platform above, and one block which should have been no question stable, collapsed. I thought nothing of it, thought I just mis-clicked. Last night, I built something very similar. It's actually not possible that I missed in that case, and not only did it take itself out, it took out the top couple blocks of the pole too. Wish I had the presence of mind to look at the logs, but I just thought it was weird, and kept building.

Feel for you, buddy. Take a break and come back.

I have before hit the same point - built a base on a clear patch right next to the trader so I could start exploring the first big city I found. I reinforced it to concrete, put in all my benches and crates, did a round-the-world tour and moved in all my supplies from all my other bases. I got it just how I wanted it ... but unfortunately it encroached the zone of the gas station poi it was next to. Hit that exclamation mark and more than half my base VANISHED in one go, taking hours or work and supplies with it.

Come, let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories about the deaths of kings... ... ...

I have one question that I'm surprised that no one has asked.  You stated that you were upgrading.  What did you do for upgrading?  Did you just upgrade just the existing structure or did you add more support to the tower before adding catwalks etc.    I have used ranger stations as bases but I have always added more support.

Condolences on your build.

Reinforcing stilt tower type POIs is very challenging.  My best recommendation is to add additional support pillars/blocks from ground level all the way to the floor area where you live in to help prevent such unexpected collapses.

Might not be the most immersive looking design but will save you alot of heartache in the future.

On 2/16/2022 at 9:42 AM, Roland said:

You could have an additional sound that is triggered when you hit. Basically using the same "collapsing through floor/creaking" sound in addition to the hit sound. This would give the impression additional blocks are counting on it's support. The additional sound would be triggered by that blocks state being stress point. This would work if the fun pimps model which points of a building are under the most stress like a bridge builder sim. If not, then it wouldn't work.