Do you put points into int to get the workbench or wait for the loot fairy?

ElCabong

Normally I wait for the loot fairy to tinkle on the workbench I'm looting. I'm never sure when I'm going to get it but this time I wanted to be sure so I pumped the points into int to get it.

I'll eventually whatever it is that lets you reset everything and I'll get them back.

I feel like putting more than one point into int is a waste.

Edited by ElCabong (see edit history)

every single time, period.    now IF(and that is a big if) the fun pimps reversed their decision to have SOME workbenches possibly working, well I might hold out for a bit if I found one, but now that steel is insanely easy to get with a a wrench, I will never craft a bike or minibike ever again with the rarity of acid/wheels, so need a workbench for that(though once in a while you can luck into schematics or premade parts at traders).   Bottom line, I want to get mobile and petal power just don't cut it for me.

I gave up and bought the Intellect skill to make one.  My plan was to buy one from the trader, but every trader besides my starting one was 5 km away or farther and I couldn't be making trips all the time to check them.  For what it's worth, I'd been spending most of my time in the low-loot-stage forest up to that point.

Edited by Crater Creator (see edit history)

14 hours ago, Sproingo said:

this is my OCD, but this is what i always do, on every play:

0 grease monkey, 0 advanced engeneer, 0 master chef.  No matter what. It's kinda my own challenge.

Yep that's a fun challenge as well, no spending skill points and no deaths.  I did that in 19 but not 20.  For me it just took so long to find stuff I felt like I was missing out on the fun of making stuff to kill zombies better.

Edited by ChickenWings (see edit history)

I typically put one of my friends points into his Int tree.  I miss the point less that way. :)

But seriously, I always wait for the loot fairy.  I had a SP game in A19 where I made it beyond level 50 without ever having one for sale, or ever found the recipe.  Checked every trader on the map every week, and had about 15 destroyed workbenches in my town.  No. Luck. At. All.  I was using a functional POI workbench that was about 700m away from my base.  Super painful, but I refused to spend points in Int.

5 minutes ago, Shockwave1 said:

Steel comes from various work benches and still from vending machines but I haven't seen a large new source of it from the wrench, what was added that gives steel?

light fixtures(by which I mean the mall parking lot style light fixtures that are on the side of city/town roads, NOT internal house light fixtures) and light pole transformers(green conical shapes).   Add to that that at least for ME (multiple worlds) it seems that MOST vending machines are now broken models unless you are in very small town, there should be more than enough steel wrenchable to get a moto once you have the other parts for it.      Heck, in my MP world, we were in a tiny town and the wrench person went around and got 50+ with 2 hackers candy going(and we had some from loot drops) enough to make two motos.

Edited by JoeDaFrogman (see edit history)

14 minutes ago, Shockwave1 said:

Steel comes from various work benches and still from vending machines but I haven't seen a large new source of it from the wrench, what was added that gives steel?

The traders have steel for sale. I bought 20 bars of it already. I'm on day five or six

about 20 bars of it already

7 minutes ago, ElCabong said:

The traders have steel for sale. I bought 20 bars of it already. I'm on day five or six

about 20 bars of it already

I would rather scrape my man parts on a cheesegrater instead of paying those over inflated prices on something I can gather myself with a half hours worth of work.

If you plan on building traps and having a home / base full of electrical stuff later on, then why not put points into INT for a workbench.  However, in alpha 20, it is not required anymore since most of the stuff will be available through traders early enough as long as you do many quests for them (for dukes or big rewards).  I got my latest chemistry station from a trader reward, and I have yet to see a looted beaker in this alpha.  INT points are still not a terrible thing if you are placing points for better barter since it gives you access to better trader stock items.   It really depends on your gameplay.

I always put the points in especially since it helps with reducing resource use in your forges etc in the perks above it.  No brainer for me.  Even if I get the schem early.  Plus the trader bonuses and all that.  I've switched to the INT tree early.

58 minutes ago, JoeDaFrogman said:

I would rather scrape my man parts on a cheesegrater instead of paying those over inflated prices on something I can gather myself with a half hours worth of work.

Lol. I'd rather buy it from the trader than spend my time gathering it. 

7 minutes ago, ElCabong said:

Lol. I'd rather buy it from the trader than spend my time gathering it. 

to each their own.  I jsut never have enough cash to by the things I want in the first week to 10 days, so buying a few thousand dukes worth of steel is not worth the tiny amount of time it would take to gather it myself.   Granted, if I happen to run across a handlebar/chassis for sale before I unlock them, all the much better, but they are easy enough to craft once you have the workbench from some source or another.

I pretty much always spec int and str (not for the weapon perks, but for mining/sex rex/engineering/grease monkey/daring adventurer/better barter...also 1 point in Physician in Alpha 20 since so much aloe cream drops and I never find the bandage recipe early.)

Like my current game, I'm going spears, but I've got 4/4 Daring Adventurer, 4/4 Sex Rex, 5/5 Miner 69er, and only 1 point in spears so far...and my next 5 points are going to Mother Lode (I mine a lot because I build huge bases for fun.)  Perception/Spears/Salvage Operations are next, though (maybe Lucky Looter...but mostly for the speed increase.) 

17 hours ago, JoeDaFrogman said:

You can take a wrench to the lights on the top of light posts for usually one or two bars of steel.

On 2/1/2022 at 4:34 PM, Sproingo said:

this is my OCD, but this is what i always do, on every play:

0 grease monkey, 0 advanced engeneer, 0 master chef.  No matter what. It's kinda my own challenge.

I hate spending points on stuff I can unlock with a book.  But looting is my #1 reason for playing this game, so I enjoy that aspect of the game a lot.

I am really happy all the workbenches in the wild are broken, considering how beneficial a workbench is regarding player progression. I don't, however, put points into advanced engineering or grease monkey as the traders are just so generous. In previous alphas, I'd work pretty quickly towards knowing how to craft it (either schematic or perks) but now I just end up buying them.

Funnily enough I am speccing into Int but not taking the points for a workbench. I'm focusing on trading, and it's kinda crazy what you can unlock early with it. I'm in the pine forest playing slowly and got a steel club on day 5 or 6, a bunch of good books, and some military armor which is surprisingly cheap. To give you an idea of where I was at, I didn't even have all body parts armored yet and was using a wooden club. The trader is selling a fully assembled minibike as well, which I'm saving up for. What he hasn't sold me is the stupid workbench but I won't need it until I'm ready to make bullets anyway, which will probably be after the second blood moon horde.

I'm not clear on how loot stage affects finding a workbench schematic and if it's even possible to find it in the first few days - in the pine forest anyway. I would definitely have it faster if I just spent the points, but I'm not taking Grease Monkey either so I'd have nothing to build anyway.

Edited by ElDudorino (see edit history)