Cornbread is objectively inferior

Crater Creator

I searched and didn't see this mentioned anywhere.  I know many have discussed Living Off the Land and other changes to food in A20, but I wanted to focus on one lasting oddity in particular.

Corn on the Cob Cornbread
ingredients ingredients
1 ear of corn 1 cornmeal
1 boiled water 1 boiled water
effects effects
+10 food +10 food
+5 health +5 health
-5 water -5 water
+10 max stamina +10 max stamina

And to craft 1 cornmeal requires 1 ear of corn.  Therefore, the only difference between these two items, as foods, is that cornbread requires an extra step.  It's also counterintuitive to me that these two would have the same effect on hydration (-5 water).

Maybe cornbread should be merged with cornmeal (or more accurately corn flour, given the recipes where it's used).  Then the distinction is clearer: if you want to turn raw corn into a 'good' food to eat by itself, make corn on the cob.  If you want to turn it into a refined crafting ingredient, make cornmeal.  This would eliminate the extra step for tuna fish gravy on toast and chili dogs, which currently you actually have to cook once to make the cornbread and then re-cook to make the finished product.  If you want something more in the style of down-home fresh baked comfort food, you can still make blueberry pie or pumpkin bread with the cornmeal.

As is, cornbread's role in gameplay is extraneous.

You could also just remove CotC? Not that I would really suggest such.

I'm more triggered by the fact that a single corn is now worth the same as 5 meat as a basic food item. Not that meat is hard to come by, it tends to find itself to me just fine.

5 hours ago, Darthjake said:

Maybe for when you find cornmeal as a loot item, instead of corn?

I've had that happen plenty of times, but seriously anything that requires water should not decrease hydration.

Go nosh some corn bread without anything to drink irl some time and enjoy the dry mouth.

11 hours ago, Darthjake said:

Maybe for when you find cornmeal as a loot item, instead of corn?

I've had that happen plenty of times, but seriously anything that requires water should not decrease hydration.

Coffee, pop, alcohol, fruit drinks……

7 hours ago, hiemfire said:

Go nosh some corn bread without anything to drink irl some time and enjoy the dry mouth.

Sure, sure.  But my stipulation was more that cornbread is intuitively drier than corn on the cob.  The stats shouldn’t be the same… and yet, cornbread takes more effort to make, so it shouldn’t be worse than corn on the cob, either.

So forget cornbread.  You just use cornmeal wherever you’d use cornbread now.  Cornmeal’s stats would be somewhere between where it is now and cornbread’s stats, with its crafting time adjusted if necessary.  I think all would agree that eating cornmeal with no water would be dehydrating.  Then, for corn on the cob, make its stats match boiled meat instead of charred meat, since boiling is how you’re cooking it.

Not all cornbread is created equal.  There are very moist recipes of cornbread as well as very dry ones.  I greatly prefer the moist recipes, personally (the ones with actual corn in them are some of the best).  Clearly this game only allows you to make one of the dryer variants.

Cornbread should provide a greater nutrient value than corn on the cob.

Corn on the cob should not have a negative water value.  Hydrated corn actually has a reasonably high water content.  Eating dry corn is a good way to choke and die. :p

18 hours ago, Crater Creator said:

Cornmeal’s stats would be somewhere between where it is now and cornbread’s stats, with its crafting time adjusted if necessary.

How about corn on the cob doesn'T need water? And no cooking pot?
Honestly the last time I was camping you just pierce a stick through it and hold it over the fire.

So +10 food, +5 health -5 water

cornbread needs a cooking pot, water and gives
+10 food, +10 health, -5 water

Maybe make Cornmeal an ingredient where the bread is required and a "emergency food" (+10 food/-10 water/no health).

Cooked Cornmeal (Polenta) in a common food here in Brazil and could take the Corn Bread place to no copy Corn in the Cob value.
Cooked Cornmeal (2 meal/1water - 15 food/10 water/10 health/10 stam)

Edited by Hameshy (see edit history)