Armor system - what do you prefer?

Matt115

What do you prefer - current armor system or redesigned?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer?

• I prefere current clothing system
    • i prefer redesigned clothing system

@Boidster I'll retest it sometime but the mods just unlock backpack slots AFAIK. Should be easy, just roll a fresh character and see what it displays right off the bat. 27 base slots + 10 toolbelt + 5 armor slots+ 5 clothing slots. So a fresh character would display 47. Of course there's always room for me to be dead wrong. lol

Edit: Ok, I can't count without it in front of me. Honestly the number it displays is weird.

Edited by Urban Blackbear (see edit history)

35 minutes ago, Urban Blackbear said:

@Boidster I'll retest it sometime but the mods just unlock backpack slots AFAIK. Should be easy, just roll a fresh character and see what it displays right off the bat. 27 base slots + 10 toolbelt + 5 armor slots+ 5 clothing slots. So a fresh character would display 47. Of course there's always room for me to be dead wrong. lol

Edit: Ok, I can't count without it in front of me. Honestly the number it displays is weird.

Yeah, that is exactly the test I did. A fresh character displays 27, which is the number of unlocked/non-encumbrance backpack slots.

image.png.3327dbb101361b8703a77348fe7971d2.png

As you unlock slots (using mods or Pack Mule), the number starts going up and exactly matches the number of 'unlocked' backpack slots. But it will keep adding to the "Carrying Capacity" stat even for unused 'unlocked' slots - those above and beyond 45. And if you get Nightstalker Vol 4, which unlocks all 45 slots at night, then all of your mods get added on top of the 45.

It doesn't count toolbar and it doesn't count the paper doll slots.

4 minutes ago, Boidster said:

Yeah, that is exactly the test I did. A fresh character displays 27, which is the number of unlocked/non-encumbrance backpack slots.

image.png.3327dbb101361b8703a77348fe7971d2.png

As you unlock slots (using mods or Pack Mule), the number starts going up and exactly matches the number of 'unlocked' backpack slots. But it will keep adding to the "Carrying Capacity" stat even for unused 'unlocked' slots - those above and beyond 45. And if you get Nightstalker Vol 4, which unlocks all 45 slots at night, then all of your mods get added on top of the 45.

It doesn't count toolbar and it doesn't count the paper doll slots.

So basically bugged to show more slots than possible?

On 1/8/2022 at 11:25 PM, JoeDaFrogman said:

The current system is quite damned good in my opinion

It is good for us playing with it as player characters.

It is not good for the devs in clothing the bandits. A single layer outfit applied to each bandit will make those models much easier and get us the update much quicker.

It is not good graphically as multilayers clip through each other and cause problems and don't look as good. Everyone appears somewhat....puffy in their clothing and armor and we can't look very epic with muscular/toned body conforming armor if the armor as a top layer must be drawn to cover all clothing types without any clothing parts poking through in places. Its kind of going to be like when super hero movies went from 100% costumes to costumes enhanced by CGI. Heroes in costumes look way better today's movies than they used to. We and the bandits will look way better once this change happens than we have been appearing.

So from our perspective we may not want a change-- especially if we're willing to forgive some visual glitchiness and are jonesing for bandits whatever they look like-- but from a developer's perspective there are two big compelling reasons out of three for making a change especially since they know that players will more likely than not get used to the change and be fine regardless of any nostalgia they feel for the old system.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

37 minutes ago, Roland said:

It is not good for the devs in clothing the bandits. A single layer outfit applied to each bandit will make those models much easier and get us the update much quicker.

It is not good graphically as multilayers clip through each other and cause problems and don't look as good. Everyone appears somewhat....puffy in their clothing and armor and we can't look very epic with muscular/toned body conforming armor if the armor as a top layer must be drawn to cover all clothing types without any clothing parts poking through in places. Its kind of going to be like when super hero movies went from 100% costumes to costumes enhanced by CGI. Heroes in costumes look way better today's movies than they used to. We and the bandits will look way better once this change happens than we have been appearing.

So from our perspective we may not want a change-- especially if we're willing to forgive some visual glitchiness and are jonesing for bandits whatever they look like-- but from a developer's perspective there are two big compelling reasons out of three for making a change especially since they know that players will more likely than not get used to the change and be fine regardless of any nostalgia they feel for the old system.

Well Devs can always make them in in this same way as zombie  models - this would allow  them to keep old clothes system and avoid problem with slots. This solution would be even easier to fix because this wiil be works this same as zombie clothes

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Roland said:

It is not good graphically as multilayers clip through each other and cause problems and don't look as good. 

My question is which will come first though the outfit overhaul or will it ship with bandits? Cause either way, no clipping clothes would be a godsend. 

3 minutes ago, Weazelsun said:

My question is which will come first though the outfit overhaul or will it ship with bandits? Cause either way, no clipping clothes would be a godsend. 

I'd love to say they will ship together but after 10 alphas of seeing bandits always pushed to "next alpha!" I'm going to go with the safe bet and say clothing overhaul A21 and bandits A22. ;)

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

Well Devs can always make them in in this same way as zombie  models - this would allow  them to keep old clothes system and avoid problem with slots. This solution would be even easier to fix because this wiil be works this same as zombie clothes

I'm surprised to hear you say this. If they do it the same as zombies where the "clothes" are just the texture of the model itself then they will only ever be able to have the same exact 18 models they create just like it is for zombies. The way zombies are "clothed" is exactly why they don't do one with a red shirt and then the same model but with a blue shirt for some variety.  If they actually clothe the bandits in the way players are clothed then the variety they can have in bandits will increase by thousands-- and not just visually if some of the clothing/armor buffs are applied to the bandits as they are to the players.

11 hours ago, Roland said:

I'm surprised to hear you say this. If they do it the same as zombies where the "clothes" are just the texture of the model itself then they will only ever be able to have the same exact 18 models they create just like it is for zombies. The way zombies are "clothed" is exactly why they don't do one with a red shirt and then the same model but with a blue shirt for some variety.  If they actually clothe the bandits in the way players are clothed then the variety they can have in bandits will increase by thousands-- and not just visually if some of the clothing/armor buffs are applied to the bandits as they are to the players.

Well that's my point - zombies need to have more variants that human enemies because... they were( most of them) normal civilians before became zombie - so one girl from gym will be barefoot and have yellow shirt , another one will have yogging shoes and pink thirts etc- l4d2  can be example what i mean. But this is diffrent about bandits - we will get 3-4 factions right?  okay so let say we will get - ex military guys, cult  , bikers and  normal bandits.

1. miltary guys- well military uniforms are similiar- this is logical - so they will look almost this same with few changes- one of them will wear gasmask + helmet, another one helmet , guy with with ammo shotgun bellts so let's say 10 variant

2. occult guys even better if look this same- mask + monk robes with symbols on this -  and so let's say 5 variants

3. well bikers are looks similar - jackets , biker helmets bears - so let say 15 variants

4. normal bandits- it depends when you can find them, winter , desert city etc- so lets say 30 variants   

So 10+ 5+ 15+ 30 = 60 variants. Well this is not such big Well hl1  op have 13 variants of hecu soldiers and were made in 1999. 

But i think both of can agree that bandits have to be rarer that zombie right? 

So let say 1 bandit per 10 zombies - so if you will meet 5 bandits per week you will not notice they looks similar. But if you see this same yellow t-shirt  zombie guy in this same building you will notice small number of zombie variants

I think in cod 2 only german soldiers have at least 60 variants. But you have usa soldiers, british and soviet too

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

But i mean - 60 is good enough and most of them will be similiar- like cult guy just diffrent colour of robbes and let say 3 types of masks.  biker will looks almost this same just change details- one with beard another one without etc 

It could be done similar to necrovision multiplayer character customisation

56 minutes ago, Boidster said:

I knew a girl in high school who would wear yogging shoes and pink thirts when I asked her to. She's in the bank IYKWIM. *stares wistfully into the distance*

Well i know girl who liked wearing tail in school XD

Save your hate till you test it.  Give a few weeks of testing and then you can come here (and steams opinion grading) to voice your opinion.  If its like we suspect then there wont be much to surprise us.

But for the life of me I can't fathom why they chose to go this route.

1 hour ago, Whorhay said:

Is it mind boggling for anyone else that the devs are seriously considering changing a mechanic so drastically purely so we can have prettier bandits? Like someone else said make a few models for each faction and call it a day.

Not if it is the way they want to do things. . . it is their game after all, and thusly they have to make decisions that THEY are happy with, because there is no way they can please ALL of the 10's of thousands of people playing the game. That path would surely lead to madness.

Yeah I get that it is their game and they can do what they want with it. I'm just surprised that they are intentionally making a lot more work for themselves and poking the bear that is the customer base, all in pursuit of making a single currently unimplemented feature possibly look better.

3 hours ago, Whorhay said:

Yeah I get that it is their game and they can do what they want with it. I'm just surprised that they are intentionally making a lot more work for themselves and poking the bear that is the customer base, all in pursuit of making a single currently unimplemented feature possibly look better.

They'd still be "poking the bear" that is the customer base if all they had were a hand full of bandit skins + leader's skin for both of the factions due to the same "lack of variety" that people @%$# about with the zombies.

45 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

They'd still be "poking the bear" that is the customer base if all they had were a hand full of bandit skins + leader's skin for both of the factions due to the same "lack of variety" that people @%$# about with the zombies.

@hiemfire okay first question : do you played in days gone?  if not - there is a group of psychos who are bald and have tons of scars and don't wear thirts because zombie don't wear them too. In stalker most of bandits and stalkers looks similiar- everybody want to look like their group - freedom wear green clothes, monolith white , duty black and red etc. and bandits wear this same clothes... like in real live gopniks- why? because if been robbed by one of them it would be impossible to be find which one stole yours stuff.

So bandits need to look similar to looks good- well if you was shooted by guy in blue winter jacked and with bandana on his face you would not know who shot you. So you could meet this same guy in survivor camp and you coudn't know about that. But if you put  bandits with pink hair, wearing tail and  green bussiness suit you could find easy this guy right?

And why people would complain about bandits? because 

1.you will meet 1 bandits per 2-3 days. But you can find this same zombie in this house  

2. Well - zombie are opposite of bandits. Why? because they are various group- most of zombie are normal civilians , so you will find guy in black thirt and jeans pants ,  older woman , yoga girl , drunker , hobo, etc + workers, soldiers, scientist etc. There are a lot of people who became zombie looking diffrent and wearing diffrent clothes. Bandits have time to change clothes to more "suistable" - well barefoot zombie dancer woman in winter looks  normal? yes. But bandit is normal human so he will wearing typical winter jacket, skull cap and high boots.

On 1/11/2022 at 5:44 PM, Boidster said:

I knew a girl in high school who would wear yogging shoes and pink thirts when I asked her to. She's in the bank IYKWIM. *stares wistfully into the distance*

Why DID you ask her to wear yogging shoes and pink tshirt ?

Or should that "to" have been an "out" ?

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

That reminds me, I need to get some good yogging shoes, I think it might improve my downward sprinting dogs and cow-cat-walks a lot.

And as a mod you should know, pink thirst is just not something to joke about on these forums... 

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

First, it was a pink "thirt", not a t-shirt. And B, if you have to ask why, well, we just had different...preferences...in high school. Don't kink-shame me!

/it was just a joke based on the typos