Your thought on the current state of honey

DominionZA

Do you think honey needs to require less grind to be acquireable? For the past real life two days, I've been grinding for tree stumps to cease my infection and I can never seem to stop it completely. I have grinded out 5+ honey jars to lower my 35% infection, and at the moment I'm jumping between 2 - 10% for the reason that I have never found any honey yet and at the moment as I'm playing I've cut down 15 tree stumps in the past hours so far. And If I do, I can bring it down to 2% before I stop finding any more and it rises again, having to find even more honey now. I think this is a a bit too ridicolous having to wander 1/2 across the map and grind for hours on end just to find honey.

I have found no herbal antibiotics, and there are no hospitals in my city. Honey is for me the most accessible resource at the moment.

7DaysToDie_6KuhWgTHbr.thumb.png.2614c73e3564f6b84015db5be3ee182a.png

Edited by DominionZA (see edit history)

Personally, i like it. I had the same uhh "problem" in my playthrough. I got up to i think 40 something before i started finding stuff, but it meant that infection was an actual threat. It hasn't been a threat in quite a while. Imo it's still not enough of a threat... i mean in any zombie type setting, getting literally infected by a zombie should be a death sentence. It shouldnt be curable and should do it's effects quite rapidly.

But back to the honey, I enjoyed having that thought in the back of my mind. If honey was in every stump, or even every 10 stumps, that would completely negate infection yet again. Maybe try going for a pop n pills instead of hunting stumps. Or look at the traders for some antibiotics.

Of course these are my personal points... I do like the challenge, should i get infected.

9 minutes ago, Telric said:

Personally, i like it. I had the same uhh "problem" in my playthrough. I got up to i think 40 something before i started finding stuff, but it meant that infection was an actual threat. It hasn't been a threat in quite a while. Imo it's still not enough of a threat... i mean in any zombie type setting, getting literally infected by a zombie should be a death sentence. It shouldnt be curable and should do it's effects quite rapidly.

But back to the honey, I enjoyed having that thought in the back of my mind. If honey was in every stump, or even every 10 stumps, that would completely negate infection yet again. Maybe try going for a pop n pills instead of hunting stumps. Or look at the traders for some antibiotics.

Of course these are my personal points... I do like the challenge, should i get infected.

Yeah I like challenge, though with honey it feels more of like doing an chore than a challenge that I became tired, tad bored and now taking a break from the game for some time before I jump back in. Making honey more common in stumps isn't too much of a good idea, as it would be making it too easy. I've strolled through a pill store before, but haven't found anything in it yet. I haven't discovered a trader so I'm practically stuck with stumps as I don't know if I'll make it in time to a trader.

It's fine. Early game it's tough to obtain but you quickly obtain sufficient antibiotics be they pills, herbal, or honey.  My advice would be to ignore the infection and keep looting POIs.  I won't say it here but I can see the likely location of a trader on your map.  If you'd like to know I'm happy to tell you where the trader is.

I'm torn because it does add danger back, and dammit I don't like that much danger!  :)  But it is cool that now when a trader offers one antibiotic or 3 herbal antibiotics, its no longer something that I just ignore.  in every previous alpha I have played, I'd have never taken one antibiotic for a reward or even 3 herbals.  I do now!

The problem I see is:

Either it is easily curable (once you have honeys lying around it isn't a threat anymore)
or it is completely wrecking your character to the point where eating glass seems like a good alternative.

I think they need to make the effects far less severe but increase the speed at which you gain it, increase effectiveness of honey/herbal/antibiotics (25/50/100), make it permanent even on death.

So you might need to play 3-4 days with 100% infection but then you have 4 honeys and can cure it, instead of the constant hope to find another honey.

RNG is RNG.

Kinda like bird nests and eggs.  10 nests in a row, no eggs. Then I'll get a run where they all do for a bunch.

RNG either loves you, or.... well.. no dinner and dancing first.  😛

Seems the stumps don't have so much anymore, but looting has bumped it up.

I ran into the same thing on my first test of A20. Infected, over 20%, only kept finding 1 honey, never enough to wipe it out.

So stopped on the stumps, did POI, and got more honey. Then some herbal.  Cleared it.

Got infected again, once the antibiotics wore off.  More looting/questing.

NOW, I grab some if the traders have it asap (or if option in a quest reward. helmet light first though)   :)

The easiest way to cure infection in early days is to do trader quests.

I don't think i've ever done 3 level 1 trader quests without being offered antibiotics as a quest reward. I do always put a point in daring adventurer after the starter quests, so i do get to choose from 3 rewards.

Yeah lots of rng involved.  And you really want to have honey first before getting infected, otherwise rng is going to rear it's ugly head 🙂

vending machines can stock them, traders, stumps.  And I think the vending machines, at least the one at the trader, restocks every day.

I try to have 2 honeys on hand, that way when i get infected it doesn't make me stop whatever I'm in the middle of.

1 hour ago, 12pack said:

The easiest way to cure infection is to not get infected...

Hard when you almost get infected every time you get hit. Now I'm an extremely good sledgehamme user since many years now against the zombies, though there are moments where I'll get swarmed or snuck up from behind by a silent undead. Recent playthrough, I have been infected 4 times in a row within a short period of time, despite wearing a mixed set of iron and steel armor. I almost ran out of honey (1 left out of 5) in my other save where I'm well off.

13 minutes ago, DominionZA said:

Hard when you almost get infected every time you get hit. Now I'm an extremely good sledgehamme user since many years now against the zombies, though there are moments where I'll get swarmed or snuck up from behind by a silent undead. Recent playthrough, I have been infected 4 times in a row within a short period of time, despite wearing a mixed set of iron and steel armor. I almost ran out of honey (1 left out of 5) in my other save where I'm well off.

I'm sure you're great at it but... if you're constantly getting infected then it's time to re-think your strategy.  My crappy lvl 1 bow knocks the zeds down more often than not. Then I run in and whack'em.

2 minutes ago, HungryZombie said:

I'm sure you're great at it but... if you're constantly getting infected then it's time to re-think your strategy.  My crappy lvl 1 bow knocks the zeds down more often than not. Then I run in and whack'em.

It only happened once 20 minutes ago during my 11 hour life. It can still happen some time any time. I own my various amount of strategies to solve certain situations. My character is maxed out on the sledge skills and runs around with an lvl 5 stone sledgehammer. I knock down up to 3-4 clumped zeds at once and it mostly one shots to the head of normal zombies. I got used to it too much that I can't use the iron or steel sledge anymore. The speed and low stamina cost of the stone is superior in my taste. It is absolutely a monster. Fighting running hordes during the night isn't a problem anymore after the skills are put in, neither ferals.

Just now, DominionZA said:

It only happened once 20 minutes ago during my 11 hour life. It can still happen some time any time. I own my various amount of strategies to solve certain situations. My character is maxed out on the sledge skills and runs around with an lvl 5 stone sledgehammer. I knock down up to 3-4 clumped zeds at once and it mostly one shots to the head of normal zombies. I got used to it too much that I can't use the iron or steel sledge anymore. The speed and low stamina cost of the stone is superior in my taste. It is absolutely a monster. Fighting running hordes during the night isn't a problem anymore after the skills are put in, neither ferals.

Ok fair enough I just misunderstood this bit "Hard when you almost get infected every time you get hit."

It was like this for me the very first game I started. I went through 30, 40 tree stumps and didn't find any honey at all. I managed to pick up some herbal antibiotics from the trader and that got me by. I looted two more honeys. None of them came from a stump.

I think you're running into a long bad luck streak like I was.

I started a new game this morning and the very first stump I whacked had some honey. 

My first couple of A20 starts gave me no honey in stumps. But my current save I did okay, enough to keep a few on hand until the trader could supplement my stock.

I'm more bothered by the roadside Honey stands that don't ever have any honey. And the beekeeper farm that has apiaries that are just fancy wood blocks that also don't drop honey. (That location has some stumps too, which *seem* to have about the same drop rate as regular stumps.) Man, I saw those bee boxes and thought for sure that I was about to stock up, but no. Disappointed again. LOL

Count me among the players who wanted infections to be more of a threat. Getting scratched by an infected should be something to avoid at all costs, IMO, and it should be a Serious Funking Problem when it happens especially early game. If you're going to be a melee spec early game, then go find the honey/antibiotics before getting into too many scraps. Always carry a jar or a pill with you so you can knock the infection down before it becomes a problem.

4 hours ago, DominionZA said:

I've strolled through a pill store before, but haven't found anything in it yet.

This was surprising to me, so I checked the XML to see how it's changed. This is the Pop-N-Pills shelf loot group:

<lootgroup name="groupPopnpillsShelves" count="all">
    <item group="groupMedicalCommon" count ="1"/>
    <item group="groupMedicalUncommon" loot_prob_template="low" force_prob="true"/>
    <item group="groupMedicalRare" loot_prob_template="veryLow" force_prob="true"/>
</lootgroup>

And here's the "common" group which will be pulled from...commonly:

<lootgroup name="groupMedicalCommon" count="1">
    <item name="foodHoney" loot_prob_template="low"/>
    <item name="medicalBandage"/>
    <item name="medicalAloeCream"/>
    <item name="medicalSplint" loot_prob_template="low"/>
</lootgroup>

I'm not entirely sure if A20's probability calcs are the same as A19, but if they are that would mean that honey has about an 8% chance of showing up on the shelf. Of course herbal and regular antibiotics also have a chance (a much lower chance) to show up as well. The crates in the back offer chances also. If you loot a full-size Pop-N-Pills and come up empty, you got thrashed by RNG. I bet you got a lot of bandages though!

Seems like honey should be moved to the Shamway stores, and only have the pills in P-n-P.