Are you fine with the current movement feeling of the game?

BenZ0

Just like in Players unknowns battleground the movement of the game feels very stiff and bad responding. The character feels immobile, not just on foot, same goes to swimming ofc. I am aware that we will get a Water overhaul in Alpha 21 and I hope that the devs may add swimming to the game at some degree but I wanna talk mainly about the on foot movements here.

The character barely moves when you run and press A or D, if you want to look around while you run you have to slowly look to the left or right with the mouse, you could say now "hey this just encourages to walk slower and look like that around" but the thing is 7 days to die is all about time. Time is your most precious recourse and with a gameplay that forces you to slow down is kinda counterproductive imo.

I believe that the general running animation, movements and general control responding should be reworked so it can feel more smooth to run and walk around. I am not a programmer so I dont know how hard or how much work that would be but I think it is a very important aspect of every game to have a very good feeling movement. 

Also I know this might sound abit much but I think adding a small climb mechanic to the game where you can lift yourself up on 3 blocks would be very interesting and could fit to the game, that would also open many new ways how you travers POI and loot them.

I have to mention that the vehicle control responding and overall drive feeling is very very good, that kind of feeling should be converted to the base movement.

Thanks for reading and let me know what you think about the movement!

3 hours ago, BenZ0 said:

Also I know this might sound abit much but I think adding a small climb mechanic to the game where you can lift yourself up on 3 blocks would be very interesting and could fit to the game, that would also open many new ways how you travers POI and loot them.

That´s why the perk parcour exists. Maxed out you can jump three blocks high. 

31 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

That´s why the perk parcour exists. Maxed out you can jump three blocks high. 

I am aware of that but adding that to the base movement and buffing parkour would be the better decision. Having a smoother gameplay in the later game after unlocking it through a skill tree is not good and weird, many other games tried that and it got heavily critizised for that such as Just cause 3 back then.

1 hour ago, BenZ0 said:

I am aware of that but adding that to the base movement and buffing parkour would be the better decision. Having a smoother gameplay in the later game after unlocking it through a skill tree is not good and weird, many other games tried that and it got heavily critizised for that such as Just cause 3 back then.

This game tried that and it seems to work well. It gets critizised and applauded for a lot of things but seldom for this. Jumping 3 meters is already a pretty strong ability depending on how you want to play the game and is rightly behind a perk.

5 hours ago, BenZ0 said:

The character barely moves when you run and press A or D, if you want to look around while you run you have to slowly look to the left or right with the mouse, you could say now "hey this just encourages to walk slower and look like that around" ...

What FPS do you get with 7D2D ? There could be an argument that you are very slow on foot, but unless the game has to load a lot of stuff from harddisk looking around seems instant to me.

And what have you set as mouse speed? Maybe you need to move the mouse too far for turning around?

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

3 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

That´s propably because those other games are a completly different genre. And they don´t have woodframes wich you can use to nerdpole you up everywhere you want.

agree, but still doesnt stop this game from having a smooth movement 

3 hours ago, meganoth said:

This game tried that and it seems to work well. It gets critizised and applauded for a lot of things but seldom for this. Jumping 3 meters is already a pretty strong ability depending on how you want to play the game and is rightly behind a perk.

What FPS do you get with 7D2D ? There could be an argument that you are very slow on foot, but unless the game has to load a lot of stuff from harddisk looking around seems instant to me.

And what have you set as mouse speed? Maybe you need to move the mouse too far for turning around?

I have 120 FPS in 7 days and I play on 6k DPI (I am used to that cuz of dead by daylight). I can ensure you it has nothing to do with hardware problems or game bugs, I am talking about the core mechanic of how you move in the game. The best example would be PUBG (players unknown battlegrounds), its the same there that you move very clunky and it doesnt feel good, if you compare that to for example Apex the movement feels very good.

I know that Apex for example is developed by a huge company with years of programming experience. What I am trying ot say is that the devs should maybe look into the movement and maybe adjust or finetune some stuff there.

Edited by BenZ0 (see edit history)

Tbh, i have no problems with movement. I don´t play any shooters usually. And least of all competitive ones. For me it´s quite contrary tbh. Coming back to 7D from conan exiles the movement was fast as hell for me.

It´s not really importnant in a PvE focused game tbh.

I have not seen any of these issues that you are describing.  

8 hours ago, BenZ0 said:

The character barely moves when you run and press A or D, if you want to look around while you run you have to slowly look to the left or right with the mouse, you could say now "hey this just encourages to walk slower and look like that around" but the thing is 7 days to die is all about time. Time is your most precious recourse and with a gameplay that forces you to slow down is kinda counterproductive imo.

I believe that the general running animation, movements and general control responding should be reworked so it can feel more smooth to run and walk around. I am not a programmer so I dont know how hard or how much work that would be but I think it is a very important aspect of every game to have a very good feeling movement. 

Actually, the point of 7 Days to Die is to not rush into things, but be aware of your surroundings; especially early game when you don't have much yet.  The injuries system, the food and drink system, the need to find shelter....all those elements are in place so that people just don't go running and gunning for the zombies.  You need to slow down, take stock of your situation, and figure out the best course with the resources you have on hand.  What is your typically days set at?  If you are doing 10 minute days, I can see how it would be a rush...but you can adjust those settings so you don't feel like you have to "run" all the time.

Apex and PUBG are FPS where the goal is to shoot and not be shot at.  Those types of games require the player to be fast and are not a good comparison to this game.  7D2D is a zombie survival game where the main thing is SURVIVAL.

10 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

I have not seen any of these issues that you are describing.  

Actually, the point of 7 Days to Die is to not rush into things, but be aware of your surroundings; especially early game when you don't have much yet.  The injuries system, the food and drink system, the need to find shelter....all those elements are in place so that people just don't go running and gunning for the zombies.  You need to slow down, take stock of your situation, and figure out the best course with the resources you have on hand.  What is your typically days set at?  If you are doing 10 minute days, I can see how it would be a rush...but you can adjust those settings so you don't feel like you have to "run" all the time.

Apex and PUBG are FPS where the goal is to shoot and not be shot at.  Those types of games require the player to be fast and are not a good comparison to this game.  7D2D is a zombie survival game where the main thing is SURVIVAL.

You are right that the mechanics and system of 7 days tries to slow you down but this doesnt mean you should get slowed down, you are still in a hurry trying to build your next defence for the upcoming blood moons. You are right that Apex and Pubg have a different focus than 7 days but look for example at Ark or the Forest then, both are also survivor games and have a way smoother movement feeling than 7 days. What I am saying is the movement is outdated and need also adjustments.

12 minutes ago, Urban Blackbear said:

Movement is fine. Invest some points in Agility. I can jump to the top of most buildings with parkour maxed and if I'm carrying enough dukes I can basically fall a hundred feet with no issues at all.

I bet you just read the title

I played Apex Legends and this isnt a comparison to be made with 7DTD in all fairness.

Remember, this is a game in developement and character movement is made for a tower defense, survival game. Not instant battle royale action where you have to be in constant movement 99% of the time. Those two games are literaly not the same, in execution, design and purpose.

The movement was way clunkier in long past Alphas and they improved it over time to a decent state. But this isnt the main focus, most resources are steered toward level design, animation, Unity programming, random world generation and general content. The movement is fine for now, for the type of game it is.

Edited by Kyonshi (see edit history)

44 minutes ago, Kyonshi said:

I played Apex Legends and this isnt a comparison to be made with 7DTD in all fairness.

Remember, this is a game in developement and character movement is made for a tower defense, survival game. Not instant battle royale action where you have to be in constant movement 99% of the time. Those two games are literaly not the same, in execution, design and purpose.

The movement was way clunkier in long past Alphas and they improved it over time to a decent state. But this isnt the main focus, most resources are steered toward level design, animation, Unity programming, random world generation and general content. The movement is fine for now, for the type of game it is.

Ye you seem right about that, would be still cool though but you got a point.

Walking < Running < Bike < Minibike < 4x4 < Motorcycle & Gyrocopter which must be slower than chunk generation. There really is not a lot of wiggle room due to the constraints of the voxel world in which we play. I'm sure that static non-voxel worlds do have faster walking and running and vehicles just blaze along but there is a hard cap on speed in this game and it is determined by 8 players on a server heading in different directions at max speed and nobody falls through the world or (if possible) even sees voxels generating in front of them.

I think you will just have to live with it as I doubt there will be enough optimizations to get the world to load fast enough for the speeds at which you want everything to move-- at least in comparison with non-voxel games.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Walking < Running < Bike < Minibike < 4x4 < Motorcycle & Gyrocopter which must be slower than chunk generation. There really is not a lot of wiggle room due to the constraints of the voxel world in which we play. I'm sure that static non-voxel worlds do have faster walking and running and vehicles just blaze along but there is a hard cap on speed in this game and it is determined by 8 players on a server heading in different directions at max speed and nobody falls through the world or (if possible) even sees voxels generating in front of them.

I think you will just have to live with it as I doubt there will be enough optimizations to get the world to load fast enough for the speeds at which you want everything to move-- at least in comparison with non-voxel games.

honestly i think movement in 7dtd is just good. well i hate codmw2019 movment but for example half life 2 and l4d2 have rly good

I'm completely satisfied with the current character's movement. Perhaps vaulting could be added to breach obstacles at 1,5-2,5 sizes of the block so the character might climb up naturally. I`ve played a while Apex and it seems like a fast-paced, very intensive in action and futuristic game. Honestly, I don`t see the need for proning or sliding in 7DTD and so on. Perhaps I would appreciate the option to walk slowly and silently at the same moment in an upright posture. Having some limited/short extra sprint (like sprinting) perhaps behind a perk or so. Players would not have to then rely on Mega Crush that much then.

I just did some tests

Walking speed is roughly 7mph which is a decent jog

Running speed is about 16mph which is a good run, but not a full on sprint

You can also run at 16mph for about 25 second at 100 stamina which feels pretty realistic for most people who aren't active runners.

7mph for walking is a really fast walk. most people are around 4mph.

It would be cool to have an additional +5% run speed for every point of agility above 1. At lvl 10 you have +45% and you'd be running about 23mph which is still several mph slowly than an Olympic level sprinter. That would give you incentive to lvl Agility and be somewhat realistic as far as how someone would be built physically as most people won't max Agility and Strength if the point balancing is similar to how it is now.

5 hours ago, warmer said:

I just did some tests

You can also run at 16mph for about 25 second at 100 stamina which feels pretty realistic for most people who aren't active runners.

It would be cool to have an additional +5% run speed for every point of agility above 1. At lvl 10 you have +45% and you'd be running about 23mph which is still several mph slowly than an Olympic level sprinter. That would give you incentive to lvl Agility and be somewhat realistic as far as how someone would be built physically as most people won't max Agility and Strength if the point balancing is similar to how it is now.

What is that sh*t you smoke?))) 

7mph??? Maybe km/h? More less common walking speed for a regular person is around 7km/h(4,35mph), same for running speed, not people never break 20km/h(12,5mph) record specially if we are talking of 1-5km runs, not a 100m sprint. I would actually suggest make speed differentiate depending on your stamina, so you slow your pace when getting tired.

9 hours ago, warmer said:

I just did some tests

To this I can only quote Rolands "Walking < Running < Bike < Minibike < 4x4 < Motorcycle & Gyrocopter which must be slower than chunk generation". And add the other important rule "gameplay trumps realism". Do the math.

EDIT: Just checked XML and could not find a value for player velocity to compare to bicycle. Makes it difficult to really do the math.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

The only time I'm bothered with movement is when I'm encumbered 5+ at the early days. If you're wearing heavy armor, you'll get the same penalty permanently, which is why I don't.. padded armor only and it feels fine. Once I feel I can waste the skill points, I might reduce the penalties from armor and swap to another set. At that stage of the game getting hit in any serious manner is a matter of choice, so the armor value doesn't do much, unless you just Want to tank up.

14 hours ago, Vampirenostra said:

What is that sh*t you smoke?))) 

7mph??? Maybe km/h? More less common walking speed for a regular person is around 7km/h(4,35mph), same for running speed, not people never break 20km/h(12,5mph) record specially

I used math based on meters moved in a given time. The numbers I presented were in game speeds. Think before you post, your argument isn't with me lol