WILL THIS GAME EVER BE COMPLETED? WHEN?

Jimmy C

14 minutes ago, Roland said:

This speculation is not supported by the timeline of reality. Perhaps you should be worrying about the TVA showing up....

If you look at Steam Charts you can see that this game has generally grown over the last 8 years. That is thanks to ongoing development that keeps the interest alive. Even people who played it for a bit in 2014 will come back in 2021 to check it out and see how it is going. Many of those people get re-hooked.

spacer.png

14 hours ago, Roland said:

This speculation is not supported by the timeline of reality. Perhaps you should be worrying about the TVA showing up....

If you look at Steam Charts you can see that this game has generally grown over the last 8 years. That is thanks to ongoing development that keeps the interest alive. Even people who played it for a bit in 2014 will come back in 2021 to check it out and see how it is going. Many of those people get re-hooked.

Now look at most games on Steam Charts that are fully released. Their graphs are predominately declining and it usually takes much less than 8 years until the graph flatlines near the zero activity mark.

There are going to be a few exceptions but this game is thriving and living and growing in its current model. Why destroy that by slapping a "Done" label on it and moving on to their next game? Eventually they will apply that label but not until they are satisfied with their offering. As polished as this game is getting, there are still aspects that are forgivable for a game in alpha but unforgivable in a finished product. If TFP put it out as finished then all of the flaws that can be overlooked due to the alpha status will all of a sudden be negative rep marks against them.

Be careful, Variant.

You still don't understand that many games still get developed after getting released or "done" how you put it. Nobody says TFP should instantly abandon the whole game after it's been finished. In fact they can just delete the alpha label off the game and do live updates only on a special, prototype server or something and only add updates to the real game when it's basically bug free or at least not destroying anything. Or they could just delete the label off without changing anything at all in their developing scheme and voila the game would be suddenly one of the few finished games that get frequent and big updates rather than a game that is forever in alpha.

Edited by MaxTunnerX (see edit history)

15 minutes ago, MaxTunnerX said:

You still don't understand that many games still get developed after getting released or "done" how you put it. Nobody says TFP should instantly abandon the whole game after it's been finished. In fact they can just delete the alpha label off the game and do live updates only on a special, prototype server or something and only add updates to the real game when it's basically bug free or at least not destroying anything.

What, pray tell, makes you think I don’t understand that?  The devs have a plan for about two years of continued updates after the game goes gold. There’s no question that the game will continue to get content. 

What you don’t seem to understand is the nature of the Alpha label vs the Gold label nor the expectations by the public for those labels. 

The fact is that 7 Days to Die is not at a place where the label can be changed. There are still missing features that were promised to be part of the base game and not as DLCs later. There are still elements of existing features that are not at the standard of a finished product. Water and how the character moves through it is adequate for an alpha labeled game but call what we have as finished and the game will be ripped apart as amateurishly constructed.

Since the historical data shows that staying in alpha while the game is alpha quality is in fact NOT hurting the game’s popularity and sales, there is no reason to arbitrarily change its label just because you want it to be done. 

I am surprised how many people are pushing for a release. Could you imagine the fuses being blown if Cyberpunk 2077 had been in open access during it's development lifetime, then got released and was STILL that buggy? That assigned a stigma to the game which lingers to this day, despite the game being a billion times better than on release. If The Pimps released 7 Days at this moment (speaking of A19.5 since I do not know anything about A20) with all of the little bugs it has, the game would have players in the same kind of uproar that Cyberpunk players had on day one. Blade traps not damaging zeds, electrical fences allowing certain animals right through, a single shot that missed a zed damages or destroys a single block of terrain a mile away resulting in that region file being saved, zeds spawning INSIDE YOUR BASE on blodomoon nights, the 4x4 getting stuck on pebbles and teeny-tiny anythings due to having a cow-catcher on it, and so much more.

When a game is released players new to the game expect a polished level of gameplay. Getting to your first bloodmoon, fighting off zeds and then being killed from a group which spawned inside the base, ignoring bedroll and land claim block, will instantly kill that perception for them. I have a base that a zed would need to jump a five-story gap which is the length of two draw-bridges to get into, and yet they spawn in rooms sealed with the strongest doors in the game. We expect this and live with it because we know this stuff will be fixed or tweaked prior to release, but if you want to know how a new player would expect a released game to perform and how they react to a beta or alpha being released, look up the epic launch failure of Cyberpunk 2077. We don't want that here.

Just to add my thoughts.

When we purchased this game, it was made perfectly clear that the game was in Alpha development (Early Released), that the game could (and will) change over time based on when you initially purchase the game, and things you have at the beginning may not make it to the final product.  At no time, were we ever promised that the game would be released by a specific Alpha level or a specific date.  The communication from the developers has always been to eventually get all the features in the game that they established at the beginning, constantly strive to improve the game over the Alpha development cycles (both in improving performance and dealing with bugs that will crop up), and release a game that not only you can enjoy vanilla, but mod it to change your playing experience to your desires (within reason of course).

They have been doing that.  While there are changes they have made that some have not liked (perks instead of LBD, removal of guns parts to bring in weapon mods as examples), they been working hard to update / add to the game and eventually release a final version.  For most, playing vanilla is all they need.  For some of us, we want a much harder survival experience.  Others want to overhaul the game to add new elements (great example is Darkness Falls).  While some people, they want to mod out some of the difficult elements in vanilla to play more of a casual game (I think of it as an adult version of Minecraft).  We have been able to do that even though this game is still being developed.

Yes we have had to deal with restarting the game when a major update has been released.  We have had to deal with bugs and glitches, some not yet fixed as they have higher priority work to get done first.  Yes, sometimes we have had issues installing the new updates and had to do extra work to get it done.  We have had to learn what the limitations our hardware has to run this game either as a stand alone game or as a server.  But in the end, this has been a great game and a great community to be a part of.  Developers that actively engage with the community to answer questions and show off upcoming changes / features.  Moderators that engage with the community and are funny to engage with, and a community working on mods (for a game that changes, that says a lot on their commitment) and helping others deal with issues they are seeing in game.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, but we still got a ways to go.  It just might not be as soon as some of us wish it would be.  Like @fragtzack posted, the journey is what matters, not the destination.

4 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Like @fragtzack posted, the journey is what matters, not the destination.

Which is why there is grumbling from those who are not enjoying the journey. Why do they hop in before the destination they want more than anything? I have no idea. 

2 hours ago, Roland said:

Which is why there is grumbling from those who are not enjoying the journey. Why do they hop in before the destination they want more than anything? I have no idea. 

Honestly I loved LBD and the gun parts. I wish the mods would have been added as more parts with their own efficiencies at what they do, but I do not know what the code holds. Still, the new vehicles are fun despite them all being bulldozers s far as the terrain is concerned and the larger maps and higher-detail POIs are cool. Just have to sit back and see where we're going. Maybe we can get some of that stuff back at some point, maybe not. Maybe via mods.

On 7/26/2021 at 8:12 AM, meganoth said:

Yes, they overhaul for no reason. Madmole rolls a twenty-sided die every alpha to select the subsystem that gets an overhaul.

I told a friend if there's a new change you don't like, just wait two years and it will be completely rework it again. I was only half joking.

Edited by Lemmers (see edit history)

Y'all have very dirty minds. Luminiscent Bowling Darts was the meaning all along. They used to be crafted using molds and sticks in the forge. Don't quote me, but I heard from an extremely reliable source that they are making a comeback when the Avatar 9 movie releases. I'm not usually not wrong.