WILL THIS GAME EVER BE COMPLETED? WHEN?

Jimmy C

Will this game ever be released in it's FINAL form?

I can't tell you how many times I've gotten into a good map only to have the latest update trash all my work.

The crashes are something to look forward to too.

WTF?!

Please pimps...get to work and give us a game we can play for MONTHS (at least).

This is damn frustrating.

It's not that the game is unplayable, it's more of a "it's been in pre-production now for almost a DECADE".

The pimps have changed the way we learn stuff...how things are made (and made OF)...the generation of cities, towns and other POI's, etc... until it's NOTHING like any of the previous versions. It gets old having to re learn everything every half year.

And if I want a decent map; one with believable biomes, cities (with sky scrapers n the like), roads that go somewhere other than straight up the side of a mountain, mountains that look like pointy spears jutting into the sky, etc... I'm forced to use Nitrogen or some other external program. And I believe that those are what are causing the crashes.

So, again...Come on Pimps...give us the full release version.

Maybe then at least, if you're unable to give us a decent RWG, then someone will be able to produce a stable, third party world generator, that gives me a world that I'd like to play in...without the crashes n stuff.

I really like the idea of the game. I like the game in general. I'm just tired of 8 - 9 years of "it's coming...".

And I'd like to see it before I die in REAL life.

36 minutes ago, Roland said:

Of course the critics are going to just skip years 8 and 9 go right to DECADE... 😆

Roland what do you think: did he know that TFP is working about rwg so he's "dreams" are coming true? 😂

1 hour ago, Jimmy C said:

It's not that the game is unplayable, it's more of a "it's been in pre-production now for almost a DECADE".

The pimps have changed the way we learn stuff...how things are made (and made OF)...the generation of cities, towns and other POI's, etc... until it's NOTHING like any of the previous versions. It gets old having to re learn everything every half year.

And if I want a decent map; one with believable biomes, cities (with sky scrapers n the like), roads that go somewhere other than straight up the side of a mountain, mountains that look like pointy spears jutting into the sky, etc... I'm forced to use Nitrogen or some other external program. And I believe that those are what are causing the crashes.

So, again...Come on Pimps...give us the full release version.

Maybe then at least, if you're unable to give us a decent RWG, then someone will be able to produce a stable, third party world generator, that gives me a world that I'd like to play in...without the crashes n stuff.

I really like the idea of the game. I like the game in general. I'm just tired of 8 - 9 years of "it's coming...".

And I'd like to see it before I die in REAL life.

well minecraft is still getting updates so..  it  get offical version but not full version yet. is this  something wrong? no  this mean we get new content. ofc  TFP could change A20 into B20 but it will change anything? nope. well most people with good pc don't have usually crashes 

Well, to be honest we will probably reach or get very very near the decade eventually. But while all that change and waiting for a release version might be a problem to some players, other players including me will celebrate the anniversary and salute to the next decade 😁

I kinda feel the author on this one. It seems to be a very weird concept. Good thing is that they allow us to play the old alphas so you can stay on any version you like basically forever, but I have never seen so many alphas in a game in my entire life. Also what TFP consider alpha, is what some devs (and often also me as a player) consider to be beta or even a finished product. Hell a few years ago I got the game I wanted, they could have just slapped "done" on it and done minor improvements, only to find out now it was never "supposed" to be that way. Whatever the case, the whole prolonged alpha weirds me out big time. Not only the game has been working better than some AAA finished titles and been fun to play for years, but it seems each alpha some things are added (no need to be in alpha for this, you can add vehicles etc. after finishing) and gameplay is overhauled for no reason. Maybe that's why the game has been in alpha for so long. One step forward one step back and here we go.

Edited by MaxTunnerX (see edit history)

1 hour ago, MaxTunnerX said:

I kinda feel the author on this one. It seems to be a very weird concept. Good thing is that they allow us to play the old alphas so you can stay on any version you like basically forever, but I have never seen so many alphas in a game in my entire life. Also what TFP consider alpha, is what some devs (and often also me as a player) consider to be beta or even a finished product. Hell a few years ago I got the game I wanted, they could have just slapped "done" on it and done minor improvements, only to find out now it was never "supposed" to be that way. Whatever the case, the whole prolonged alpha weirds me out big time. Not only the game has been working better than some AAA finished titles and been fun to play for years, but it seems each alpha some things are added (no need to be in alpha for this, you can add vehicles etc. after finishing) and gameplay is overhauled for no reason. Maybe that's why the game has been in alpha for so long. One step forward one step back and here we go.

Yes, they overhaul for no reason. Madmole rolls a twenty-sided die every alpha to select the subsystem that gets an overhaul.

Then Faatal rolls another die to select the version of Unity the alpha is ported to. Finally Gazz rolls for the ailment he makes most bothersome this time 😁

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

37 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Yes, they overhaul for no reason. Madmole rolls a twenty-sided die every alpha to select the subsystem that gets an overhaul.

Then Faatal rolls another die to select the version of Unity the alpha is ported to. Finally Gazz rolls for the ailment he makes most bothersome this time 😁

honestly it sound like nice idea for rpg tyccon game about game developing - like you roll 1 and you graphic looks terrible XD

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

I think that after all of those years TFP placed themselves into a corner with a never-ending bar for expectations called yet another Alpha. It would be better to announce finally the release date and turn the game into Lifetime (which is another form of Alpha state in 2021 A.D.) Service with constant smaller/bigger updates every year. Devs might constantly add content, discuss gameplay solutions, and balance the game as it is now. Some people may say that the alpha state is a very convenient tool to hide the fact that the game does not feel like a finished product. I would say "release the kraken" and announce constant updates for the game. 

Keep most of the 7DTD versions available, possibly have two optional progression modes (one as a "skill perk points" and the other overhauled "learn by doing" so players could choose/determine their own pathway (but solve constant crafting of items). But, first look at gameplay itself rather than gameplay solutions in order to make sure that the game doesn`t look rough at the edges. The game must make a good first impression rather than become a meaningful catorgy for newcomers in terms of certain mechanics. More hardcore/radical solutions might represent a separate game mode also.

Make the game an ultimate survival sandbox and then see how it goes... who knows, perhaps someday the game reaches 35K active players on steam on daily basis. Honestly, I only hope for another decade of 7DTD, so people saying to stop with the game updates might still complain 🌞...

Edited by TWORDY (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Roland said:

If they can oversell then I can undersell… ;)

lol every right to. Am thinking at time of writing that though I see you thinking of me being the one in your avatar as the one getting the knuckle rub :D

19 hours ago, TWORDY said:

I think that after all of those years TFP placed themselves into a corner with a never-ending bar for expectations called yet another Alpha. It would be better to announce finally the release date and turn the game into Lifetime (which is another form of Alpha state in 2021 A.D.) Service with constant smaller/bigger updates every year. Devs might constantly add content, discuss gameplay solutions, and balance the game as it is now. Some people may say that the alpha state is a very convenient tool to hide the fact that the game does not feel like a finished product. I would say "release the kraken" and announce constant updates for the game. 

Keep most of the 7DTD versions available, possibly have two optional progression modes (one as a "skill perk points" and the other overhauled "learn by doing" so players could choose/determine their own pathway (but solve constant crafting of items). But, first look at gameplay itself rather than gameplay solutions in order to make sure that the game doesn`t look rough at the edges. The game must make a good first impression rather than become a meaningful catorgy for newcomers in terms of certain mechanics. More hardcore/radical solutions might represent a separate game mode also.

Make the game an ultimate survival sandbox and then see how it goes... who knows, perhaps someday the game reaches 35K active players on steam on daily basis. Honestly, I only hope for another decade of 7DTD, so people saying to stop with the game updates might still complain 🌞...

Yes, release it as it is, slow down updates a bit and problem solved. I bet many people find it hard to attach themselves to something called alpha. Besides, the longer this drags on, the more bad, Star Citizen-ish, rep the game will get.

well personally speaking I would have moved on from this game years ago if it had ceased getting worked on and refined. The dev process is smoothing out a giant cube of marble until it rolls smoothly. Sometimes you crack the whole thing and you have to start over. 

You can always download your favorite release and pretend like dev is over and be happy with it. Being upset above the process won't change anything other than your PH levels after you get done with your rant.

Go to steam and right click in 7d2d and chose the release you want. Then play the game release you want. Updates are optional. You only have yourself to blame if an update crashes your world. 

IMG_20210727_172352.jpg

@warmer

Ofc the beta options (thanks Steam for using the proper term for this game) are extremely useful, but they don't fix the main problem - that the game is just not finished, not even officially. As long as the game remains in alpha it will have the label of a forever-going, never-ending project or something often not worth even reviewing because it's only alpha. Also people will be hesitant to invest their whole time and effort into this game as long as it's alpha. And what the OP wants in this topic is not to live in the past by selecting an older alpha but to keep game up to date without getting all his stuff destroyed every once in a while and I think it's a reasonable request.

Edited by MaxTunnerX (see edit history)

2 hours ago, MaxTunnerX said:

@warmer

Ofc the beta options (thanks Steam for using the proper term for this game) are extremely useful, but they don't fix the main problem - that the game is just not finished, not even officially. As long as the game remains in alpha it will have the label of a forever-going, never-ending project or something often not worth even reviewing because it's only alpha. Also people will be hesitant to invest their whole time and effort into this game as long as it's alpha. And what the OP wants in this topic is not to live in the past by selecting an older alpha but to keep game up to date without getting all his stuff destroyed every once in a while and I think it's a reasonable request.

The reasonable request to the player is to stay at the alpha version he is playing IF he wants to continue playing one single world for many months or even years. The game has contents for maybe 40-60 hours, everything past that is sort of unguaranteed bonus game. He can always start a new game in parallel if he also wants to play with new features.

I know a game developer who supplies code to make it possible to upgrade to a new alpha with an old world, but Factorio is actually providing a "meta" game that lasts far longer than the supposed winning condition. But it takes development time and I can understand that TFP does not want to invest time into this.

How would finishing the game change anything for that player? He would stay at the version he is playing right now indefinitely. The only difference would be that there would not be a carrot of a new alpha in front of his eyes. Big deal, he should grow up and be glad he IS offered carrots at all.

People that continue to whine when a perfectly reasonable solution has been presented are petulant children having a fit. get over it. They don't owe you a finished game on YOUR timeline. You bought it in an incomplete state.

What about that fact entitles anyone to assume they can influence the dev cycle?

Nothing... but people that want the world to cater to them are never satisfied.

Grow up and own your decision to buy a game in Alpha and accept the results your decision has brought you.

13 hours ago, MaxTunnerX said:

@warmer

This speculation is not supported by the timeline of reality. Perhaps you should be worrying about the TVA showing up....

If you look at Steam Charts you can see that this game has generally grown over the last 8 years. That is thanks to ongoing development that keeps the interest alive. Even people who played it for a bit in 2014 will come back in 2021 to check it out and see how it is going. Many of those people get re-hooked.

Now look at most games on Steam Charts that are fully released. Their graphs are predominately declining and it usually takes much less than 8 years until the graph flatlines near the zero activity mark.

There are going to be a few exceptions but this game is thriving and living and growing in its current model. Why destroy that by slapping a "Done" label on it and moving on to their next game? Eventually they will apply that label but not until they are satisfied with their offering. As polished as this game is getting, there are still aspects that are forgivable for a game in alpha but unforgivable in a finished product. If TFP put it out as finished then all of the flaws that can be overlooked due to the alpha status will all of a sudden be negative rep marks against them.

Be careful, Variant.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)