Valve's Steam Deck

Outlaw_187

Anyone see this video on YouTube? Valve is releasing, basically a handheld gaming PC. 

Does anyone think this will be able to play 7 Days to Die? 

Not sure it would be too pleasant playing this game on a 7 inch screen however it can be linked to a monitor & played from there. 

An inexpensive way for pepe to play this game without breaking the bank on a high end gaming rig. 

I am sure it will however understand that the screen is not 1080, connecting to a higher resolution screen will likely impact performance. I do believe it has 16GB of ram which is a good thing for 7D2D.

Pretty cool how you can connect a mouse & keyboard to it.

I do have to say a regular desktop is probably a better choice even with the video card shortage if the portability isn’t something you want as in you are going to use the deck like a desktop.

1 hour ago, Outlaw_187 said:

An inexpensive way for pepe to play this game without breaking the bank on a high end gaming rig.

Pepe owes me money and he damn well better pay me back before buying a new handheld gamer.

(Ignorant comment about SteamOS deleted; TIL it's just a flavor of Linux)

SylenThunder will be along shortly to tell us how likely it is to work.

Specs:

• CPU: AMD Zen 2 4c/8t, 2.4-3.5GHz (up to 448 GFlops FP32)
  • GPU: 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6GHz (up to 1.6 TFlops FP32)
  • RAM: 16 GB DDR5
  • Storage: 64GB, 256GB, 512GB versions; expandable with MicroSD cards
  • Display: 7" diagonal, 1280x800 (16:10), 60Hz LCD touchscreen

Edited by Boidster (see edit history)

Well, it´s not as cheap as i thought it would be. If i would have to deceide between this and saving money for half a year and then buy a PC i would rather have nothing to game for half a year and get a PC.

Basic version with slow storage and only 64GB costs 419€. Another 300€ on top of that get me a half decent gaming PC, GPU is a problem tough, gotta need to get a used one.

Monitor not included ofc, but playing 7D on 7" wouldn´t be enjoyable anyways.

Can´t get one before december anyways, GPU prices might be better then.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

Yeah I would question the speed of the storage on the base system, but the upgraded versions are NVMe. 

As far as the CPU/GPU's are concerned it's basically a budget 3rd-gen Ryzen with inbred graphics API and overclocked a little bit.

Should be perfectly capable of doing the client at 720 with the un-optimized graphic options disabled.

Is it worth it though?  You could get a faster PC with a GTX1650 for about the same price as the 250GB model, and do 50 times more stuff at 1080p with better framerates.

9 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

Yeah I would question the speed of the storage on the base system, but the upgraded versions are NVMe. 

As far as the CPU/GPU's are concerned it's basically a budget 3rd-gen Ryzen with inbred graphics API and overclocked a little bit.

Should be perfectly capable of doing the client at 720 with the un-optimized graphic options disabled.

Is it worth it though?  You could get a faster PC with a GTX1650 for about the same price as the 250GB model, and do 50 times more stuff at 1080p with better framerates.

You could get a faster PC, but where do you set up the monitor on a tram? 😉 This thing isn't meant to be a replacement of a stationary PC

If you compare it to a laptop the price/performance ratio is quite ok

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

3 hours ago, meganoth said:

You could get a faster PC, but where do you set up the monitor on a tram? 😉 This thing isn't meant to be a replacement of a stationary PC

If you compare it to a laptop the price/performance ratio is quite ok

True. I realize desktop is obviously the way to go but I like the mobility aspect of it. 

However as me & papa^legba stated, playing this game on a 7" screen couldn't be very enjoyable (don't knock it till you try it, right). 

I do play on a laptop though. Like I said, the mobility is the sexy part to me. Just as long as it can play it properly, especially at decent settings.

22 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

I am sure it will however understand that the screen is not 1080, connecting to a higher resolution screen will likely impact performance. I do believe it has 16GB of ram which is a good thing for 7D2D.

Pretty cool how you can connect a mouse & keyboard to it.

I do have to say a regular desktop is probably a better choice even with the video card shortage if the portability isn’t something you want as in you are going to use the deck like a desktop.

Good points!

21 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Well, it´s not as cheap as i thought it would be. If i would have to deceide between this and saving money for half a year and then buy a PC i would rather have nothing to game for half a year and get a PC.

Basic version with slow storage and only 64GB costs 419€. Another 300€ on top of that get me a half decent gaming PC, GPU is a problem tough, gotta need to get a used one.

Monitor not included ofc, but playing 7D on 7" wouldn´t be enjoyable anyways.

Can´t get one before december anyways, GPU prices might be better then.

You're definitely right. Obviously if buying this thing, would have to go with the 512GB version. 

With the price of that, you're almost there to a pretty decent desktop rig.

• 7 months later...

I made a post here with some links. Apparently from non official? Sources it appears 7D2D is “playable”, but the details of why it’s listed as this and not “verified” I do not know. Apparently Steam is working on being able to allow you to check the status of games in your Steam library, but it’s not available yet (as of today).

personally, I’m hoping to be able to hook the deck up to a tv (using mouse and keyboard) once the dock comes out as I feel the screen is too small for 7D2D, but I’m hopeful it can handle it on a larger screen. 

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

On 7/17/2021 at 1:32 PM, Darklegend222 said:

But which one? Majora's Mask? Link's Awakening? Twilight Princess? Ocarina of Time (the best one), Skyward Sword?

Well all of them eventually if they continue with all the reissues. Of course, is it worth paying $50 AGAIN to play these games I already replayed on the last few consoles when they re-released them?

As for Steam deck, I have zero desire or temptation to early adopt the thing. Maybe at 3rd or 4th generation I'll jump in. If I can wait and see for VR which I was infinitely more excited about then I can definitely wait and see on the Deck.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

small update:

Steam has put out a "The Deck is here" page and a small? list of "these games play great"... of course 7 Days isn't on that list BUT Ark is, which surprised me.

https://store.steampowered.com/greatondeck

On 2/23/2022 at 6:34 PM, Roland said:

As for Steam deck, I have zero desire or temptation to early adopt the thing. Maybe at 3rd or 4th generation I'll jump in.

yeah, that's my greatest fear with this is that the first gen will not be fleshed out and I'll have buyers remorse, but if Ark can play on it "well" its already somewhat more capable than my "PC I game on".  Part of my plan (to make me want to spend money on it) is I'm going to drop my PS4 subscription (and not buy the newer xbox/ps5) and just use Steam/PC forever, so ... I'm "saving money" not ... errr. updating my playstation? yeah, SAVING money!  In fact you could say I was... saving dough... I'm literally saving myself!

Well crap: Linus tech tips isn’t glowing positive over it… so here’s an “it’s unfinished” review to balance out my previous posts. Some of it might be fixed by future software updates ;( it’s not all negative, but has some interesting review/info. At the end Linus indicates he’s going to use the deck as “his only computer” for the next month, so might be interesting to see how it works in non gaming modes.At the end he does indicate “keep your reservation as you’re going to love it” so there’s that!

I watched that as well. Seems like a solid foundation and assuming they do what needs to be done to smooth the rough edges it seems like it could be good. 

I'm not super interested to get one though the thought of being able to play some 7 Days on my lunch break is kind of tempting. Haha. 

Being a person that uses Steam on Linux every day I can say that I am rooting for Valve on this one.  Some Windows games do VERY well on Linux, some do not.  It's all kind of magic that it works at all if you think about it.  Personally, I much prefer the games like 7DTD that play natively on Linux and those are the games that I support with my money.

In any event, the more Valve does to make this work the better my experience will be so I am all for it (oh, and a hearty "up yours" to MS, Nintendo, and Sony).

• 6 months later...

I got my Deck this weekend and have only put 7d2d on it. Still learning but really like the graphic ability of this for hand held at work or waiting to pick up kids. Today I have seen it revert back to keyboard mouse functions while playing. I had to reload game to fix. I also had to map extra buttons for reload and flashlight toggle. I see great promise in this device. I just hope the Pimps will support it also.

1 hour ago, OdGeezR said:

I got my Deck this weekend and have only put 7d2d on it. Still learning but really like the graphic ability of this for hand held at work or waiting to pick up kids. Today I have seen it revert back to keyboard mouse functions while playing. I had to reload game to fix. I also had to map extra buttons for reload and flashlight toggle. I see great promise in this device. I just hope the Pimps will support it also.

That's the first unsponsored positive review I've come across for the Deck. May you continue to enjoy it. Screen's too small for me  though, so its not on my wishlist. But I'll be watching the tech reviews and such. Sounds like an awesome gift for the younger techies in my family.

On 2/28/2022 at 4:06 PM, bdubyah said:

I watched that as well. Seems like a solid foundation and assuming they do what needs to be done to smooth the rough edges it seems like it could be good. 

I'm not super interested to get one though the thought of being able to play some 7 Days on my lunch break is kind of tempting. Haha. 

I'm super interested in getting a generation 3+. From what I've read and watched so far, early adopting the deck is a big "Nope!" for me.