What Happened To This Game?

This used to be fun. Then they decided to make it so tedious that its completely abismol. I hope Alpha 20 brings back the balance between fun and challenging. I can't even catch my breath anymore. The Fun Pimps, this ain't Dark Souls, chill the hell out on the difficulty. I'm literally on scavenger, it SHOULD NOT be this annoying just to do the most basic of tasks.

Edited by SylenThunder
Bypassing profanity filter (see edit history)

There are a LOT of options to make the game easier.  Up the loot abundance, remove blood moons, add daily supply drops, make the zombies easier, etc.  Try something different to see if it makes the game better/easier for you.  You might even find it fun to tinker with the XML... no, really, it's okay to do that, too!

I agree with calling it tedious. All of the slowing down of the early game did not raise difficulty, it just made it take longer(tedious). I get that some people like it, but some of us don't. I am a habitual restarter in almost every game I play. This slowing down of the early game has sapped a lot of my enjoyment out of the game. I don't play anywhere near as often as I used to. And before someone comes in with the obligatory 'learn to adapt' or 'git gud', I have adapted to the changes and don't find the game too difficult. I just don't enjoy it anywhere near as much as I used to. Just my opinion, I know many have a different one.

12 hours ago, ChronicSavesGaming said:

This used to be fun. Then they decided to make it so tedious that its completely abismol. I hope Alpha 20 brings back the balance between fun and challenging. I can't even catch my breath anymore. The Fun Pimps, this ain't Dark Souls, chill the hell out on the difficulty. I'm literally on scavenger, it SHOULD NOT be this annoying just to do the most basic of tasks.

Play co-op with a buddy. Not only does it make the game easier to survive if you stick together, but it adds a layer of camaraderie that really enhances the experience. 

3 minutes ago, Roland said:

Play co-op with a buddy. Not only does it make the game easier to survive if you stick together, but it adds a layer of camaraderie that really enhances the experience. 

I completely agree. IMO this game gets boring fast if you do single player.

1 hour ago, Jeraal said:

I agree with calling it tedious. All of the slowing down of the early game did not raise difficulty, it just made it take longer(tedious). I get that some people like it, but some of us don't. I am a habitual restarter in almost every game I play. This slowing down of the early game has sapped a lot of my enjoyment out of the game. I don't play anywhere near as often as I used to. And before someone comes in with the obligatory 'learn to adapt' or 'git gud', I have adapted to the changes and don't find the game too difficult. I just don't enjoy it anywhere near as much as I used to. Just my opinion, I know many have a different one.

Just increase the xp gained and you will progress faster

7 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

I completely agree. IMO this game gets boring fast if you do single player.

I agree to. There is only so many times that you can do clear/fetch missions before it gets repetitive. We need more variation in quests and alpha 20 will deliver just that, very curious how many kinds of quests they will add.

Experiment with the sliders Chronic or try finding someone for a co-op that would explain the things going around in recent Alpha. The game looks pretty hermetic for newcomers and challenging at the same time. Most modern games have unlimited sprinting or quick health regeneration. After learning some of certain mechanics I came to the realization that the game has been so far incredible in its own way. I have no idea if it`s a super tough game by the current standards. I just rerun the game each Alpha to witness changes and then play with my mates for the laughs.

2 hours ago, Jeraal said:

Kinda feel the same but in the long run, it doesn`t change a thing because at the end of the day You`ll get LVL 6 quality items. I can`t call the recent progression aspects as completely enjoyable. I just play the game for the content and locking loot NOT by POIs or by geographical location doesn`t sound compelling for me. 

I think that the game needs even more content, a more believable and beautifully crafted world, even more variety of missions (not necessarily claustrophobic in nature) to keep selling. 

To me, the character movement is extremely important, in 7DTD seems fine. Other aspects are animations from 1st and 3rd perspectives. Well-written Netcode that prevents teleportations and desyncs is the most important for PvP. If I were the Pimp, I would make sure that servers for 20+ players are top-notch and prevent high pingers to increase latency lag and bring them down with laggers completely.

You can play the game in creative mode and then give you whatever you feel like you should get when you feel like you should get it.

I see what you're getting at and I did feel that way at first back when they made these changes. The things that I like about the game turn out not to have that much to do with the loot I'm getting. That part got better.

Hello I played this Game with fun for many Years. But now its for me a frustrating expirience to play it. You make this game not better wenn there is a Tiger on the first night. I will loot and Build. Now i must look if the is a Wolf or a Tiger. Give me the Bees back. Sory for my bad English. I will back the Loot Luck. Now you can find only things on your level. Thats bad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just now, judgeleo said:

Hello I played this Game with fun for many Years. But now its for me a frustrating expirience to play it. You make this game not better wenn there is a Tiger on the first night. I will loot and Build. Now i must look if the is a Wolf or a Tiger. Give me the Bees back. Sory for my bad English. I will back the Loot Luck. Now you can find only things on your level. Thats bad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would take the bees back and remove the vultures. 

Early game, the ONLY problem is food (The occasional "Kill Order" zombie bear and dogs not included).

So, you want to get your cooking skills up!  Save all can goods that have Recipes for them and you should be doing good if you can kill/buy some fresh meat.

Also melee will suck the food right out of you, so use the cheapo blunderbuss ammo as much as possible.

This all assumes you go into Strength however.

*visibly confused by OP*

Admittedly, I'm not the sort of person that uses the phrase 'Git gud scrub', but....

If it hasn't reached your brain yet, you're playing on one of the easiest modes.

There is not logical comparison to the difficulty of this game and Dark Souls.

It's not even in the same arena.

On 7/9/2021 at 3:17 AM, ChronicSavesGaming said:

Completely agree that the experience has shifted greatly over the years from a simple and accessible arcade zombie crafting game into a horror/Dark souls peasant simulator. I can't even play it without mods or creative menu anymore. Enemies are way too hard and frequent, technology is locked behind nonsense perks (good luck getting even the friggin' forge that was like 10 seconds gameplay back in the day) and the game is generally overcomplicated. And guess what? When you finally get the perks to start actually playing the game, enemies get better as well so you didn't even have to bother levelling up in the first place. The only thing I don't understand is why devs don't give people options to tailor their experience and instead started forcing this hardcore survival thing which is just not fun for me and many others. Just make a casual mode and hardcore mode, problem solved. Something like Fallout 4 has, except the hardcore survival would be much harder than FO4's survival.

Edited by MaxTunnerX (see edit history)

22 minutes ago, MaxTunnerX said:

Completely agree that the experience has shifted greatly over the years from a simple and accesible arcade zombie crafting game into a horror/Dark souls peasant simulator. I can't even play it without mods or creative menu anymore. Enemies are way too hard and frequent, technology is locked behind nonsense perks (good luck getting even the friggin' forge that was like 10 seconds gameplay back in the day.) and the game is generally overcomplicated. And guess what? When you finally get the perks to start actually playing the game, enemies get better as well so you didn't even have to bother levelling up in the first place. The only thing I don't understand is why devs don't give people options to tailor their experience and instead started forcing this hardcore survival thing which is just not fun for me and many others. Just make a casual mdoe and hardcore mode, problem solved. Something like Fallout 4 has.

gamestage leveling has been in the game for years, at least since A15 when I started playing. 

The forge needs exactly one perk point which you should have available immediately after doing the tutorial quests. Damn, thats 2 minutes now, up by 1200% compared to the 10 seconds you dreamed up 😁

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, meganoth said:

gamestage leveling has been in the game for years, at least since A15 when I started playing. 

The forge needs exactly one perk point which you should have available immediately after doing the tutorial quests. Damn, thats 2 minutes now, up by 1200% compared to the 10 seconds you dreamed up 😁

Well I started playing at alpha 7/8 so yeah. At alpha 10+ the game started going really downhill for me, gameplay-wise and performance wise. I wouldn't even be able to play this game with the PC I used to have. I very much doubt it's only one perk for forge (which would still be 1 more perk than it used to be) but fine, I will give you a more acceptable example, how about cooking? I just had to level my strength (lol how is it related to strength?) to 3 or more to buy the cooking perk to make a damn soup. Not to mention the rations are super underpowered nowadays and even spaghetti gives you like 10x more food which doesn't even make sense. I have to admin spawn good food on me befe I grind enough to cook the food myself. Chugging cans of anything just coulnd't keep me fed. Absurd, these things are made so that you survive, not that you eat them and die from hunger.

Edited by MaxTunnerX (see edit history)

Proof that the game is still complex and challenging despite what you often hear from players on this forum with 1000's of hours under their belt who want it to continually evolve into even more complexity and a tougher challenge.

1 hour ago, MaxTunnerX said:

Well I started playing at alpha 7/8 so yeah. At alpha 10+ the game started going really downhill for me, gameplay-wise and performance wise. I wouldn't even be able to play this game with the PC I used to have. I very much doubt it's only one perk for forge (which would still be 1 more perk than it used to be) but fine, I will give you a more acceptable example, how about cooking? I just had to level my strength (lol how is it related to strength?) to 3 or more to buy the cooking perk to make a damn soup. Not to mention the rations are super underpowered nowadays and even spaghetti gives you like 10x more food which doesn't even make sense. I have to admin spawn good food on me befe I grind enough to cook the food myself. Chugging cans of anything just coulnd't keep me fed. Absurd, these things are made so that you survive, not that you eat them and die from hunger.

This is arguably a better example. Yes, surviving was made a lot more difficult (because this is also a survival game) and survival doesn't get any easier when you turn the difficulty dial down (except that it is easier to loot buildings when zombies go down faster)

The game doesn't make it easy to find out if you are using up too much stamina and therefore food (except if you read the journal which a lot of players don't do). For example running, running encumbered and running in heavy armor uses up much food. Simply don't do the latter two and run only sparingly, then you will need a lot less food. Don't dig through the night before you have some food supply set up. Make building up a farm your top priority.

It is only one perk point to know the forge recipe, you can simply read the description for "Advanced Engineering" Level 1 in the Intelligence tab to find that out. And you can test it trivially 2 minutes after starting a new game by getting that perk and checking that you now know the recipe.

Btw, in another thread you said you play on adventurer difficulty. But adventurer isn't the lowest setting, there is one even lower called scavenger. Now this only will make the zombies easier, but maybe you should use that difficulty setting first before complaining the game is too difficult for you.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)