What Happened To This Game?

5 hours ago, Roland said:

Just bypass the cap.  While in game

1) Press F1

2) Type: giveselfxp 500000

3) Press F1 again

Open the user interface and shop for perks.

Need to clear the area of zombies?

1) Press F1

2) Type: killall

3) Press F1

This seems rather useful, thanks.

@ the 2 replies above this one - I'm not overstating, in areas where zombies would normally spawn such as POIs I can't even play the game because console keeps stopping my movement due to errors constantly popping up. And the mod I'm talking about is indeed an xml mod that is supposed to replace specials with normals. I don't know if it's possible to just delete a group of enemies without breaking the game.

Anyway, if someone makes the "remove specials" kind of mod and it doesn't result in error messages spamming, I'll gladly use it.

Edited by MaxTunnerX (see edit history)

50 minutes ago, MaxTunnerX said:

Anyway, if someone makes the "remove specials" kind of mod and it doesn't result in error messages spamming, I'll gladly use it.

image.png.a0ddab0fc181516d7d7ffd65c204d68d.png

What do you consider "special", though? Ferals, Radiated, Demolishers I assume. What about football players or soldiers? Cops? Vultures, dogs, or wolves?

I'll give you a basic modlet that will remove a few, and tell you how to easily remove any others.

1 hour ago, MaxTunnerX said:

@ the 2 replies above this one - I'm not overstating, in areas where zombies would normally spawn such as POIs I can't even play the game because console keeps stopping my movement due to errors constantly popping up. And the mod I'm talking about is indeed an xml mod that is supposed to replace specials with normals. I don't know if it's possible to just delete a group of enemies without breaking the game.

Yeah, if you look at the mod page, this was a known issue with it back in 2018 and was never updated.

8 hours ago, Boidster said:

Thank you man, always awesome to see when people don't only pretend to care about you but directly help you. Anyway, as for your earlier question, special zombies for me are all zombies that can run or move fast by default (zombie dogs, vultures) and zombies with special abilities (screamers, acid shooting cops etc.). As for wolves, I hardly ever saw one and they are just normal animals so I would keep them for now.

@RolandMan you should've told me the number of XP you specified was just a small boost. I had to do it more than 10 times, although after that I just added a zero or 2 to finally get all the perks. In any case, thank you, now I can finally do everything properly without handicap. But I'm definitely not turning zombies on until I get the above mentioned mod working for sure :D

On 7/13/2021 at 3:09 PM, Roland said:

CASUAL MODE

Overall Settings

Difficulty: Scavenger  (This is the easiest setting in the game and disables the zombies from going into rage mode. Zombies die much easier needing fewer hits)

XP: 300% (This will help you earn skillpoints the quickest so you can get all your perks sooner)

Zombie Block Damage: 25% (This makes base defense easier and also lets you shut doors behind you in POIs and stay safe for longer so you don't get overwhelmed)

Blood Moon: Frequency 14 days Range 0 (This reduces the urgency for building and prepping for the blood moon.)

Loot: 300% (This will bring in more food and water and ammo for an easier survival experience.

Zombie Speed: Walk day and night (This will make night time less stressful)

Special Setting for Days 1-3

Zombie Spawning: Off (This will give you time to do some exploring and building and getting established before the zombies start coming. After Day 3, the next time you log on to play, change the setting to on so that zombies start spawning.

I think this will yield a much easier and simpler game that is still mostly vanilla.

Quick add note   I would be recommend being careful about how folks might balance these settings out.    If you manage to find a proper balance of resource gathering/time/XP then the game can be quite rewarding.   If those are out of balance you'll find out quickly what it is you wish you have more of.

Edited by Ramethzer0 (see edit history)

While we are adding notes to that suggested "casual" server setting by Roland, there is a crapton of loot in the game with 100% loot abundance already, at least if you're playing singleplayer. Also the "walk day night" is broken like I said a thousand times, if you depend on it saving your life, don't, because it won't, dogs will chew you up, cops will nuke you from distance and also sprint while doing it, so mod the game. Chain is always just as strong as the weakest link, and if you have 99% zombies walk and 1% run, you're dead anyway so.

Also the "walk day night" is broken like I said a thousand times

Its not broken. It operates the way the developers intend it to. It's just not the way you want it to be. Perhaps the description is what is misleading and that should be altered. The walk day/night button is only for normal zombies that normally walk during the day. It causes them to use their day speed at night as well. Since ferals and radiated zombies normally run at day, their night time speed will match that. There is no button to make feral and radiated zombies walk. They never walk. It's not in their nature and there is no option for it.

You can say it a thousand more times if you wish but it won't change the setting. 

5 hours ago, MaxTunnerX said:

@RolandMan you should've told me the number of XP you specified was just a small boost. I had to do it more than 10 times, although after that I just added a zero or 2 to finally get all the perks. In any case, thank you, now I can finally do everything properly without handicap. But I'm definitely not turning zombies on until I get the above mentioned mod working for sure :D

Man, you even want to use your cheat codes casually... ;)

3 hours ago, Roland said:

Its not broken. It operates the way the developers intend it to. It's just not the way you want it to be. Perhaps the description is what is misleading and that should be altered. The walk day/night button is only for normal zombies that normally walk during the day. It causes them to use their day speed at night as well. Since ferals and radiated zombies normally run at day, their night time speed will match that. There is no button to make feral and radiated zombies walk. They never walk. It's not in their nature and there is no option for it.

You can say it a thousand more times if you wish but it won't change the setting. 

Man, you even want to use your cheat codes casually... ;)

Hate to tell you this, Roland, but since A17 the always walk does make everything except zombie dogs, zombie bears and living animals always walk, including ferals, radiated, cops (until they reach the charge and explode trigger), and demolishers.  It was a change I much appreciated, because I hate running zombies (I'm terrible at FPS games, and am pretty much completely incapable of hitting running enemies unless they are running straight at me.)  Honestly, I'd tend to quit A16 games when all the horde night zombies were running, because it made horde night boring for me since all I could do was sit around and let traps kill them.

Granted, vultures have made horde night less fun for me from A17 on, because the most fun I'd have on horde nights was sitting on top of my base trying to pick off all the zombies before they got to the walls, but that's neither here nor there.

Edited by Vaeliorin (see edit history)

4 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

The mod that MaxTurnerX was using had issues with POI sleeper spawns.  Did you happen to check this out under those conditions?

I did not check POIs, no. The mod should not cause any problems in POIs, as it only replaces one zombie name with another in all of the spawn groups. However if POIs have specific sleeper zombies specified, then the mod will not remove them. If the POI uses one of the sleeper entity groups, then no special zombies ought to spawn.

So, POI designer sez "I want a Wight to be in this corner" = there will be a Wight in that corner

POI designer sez "Spawn a GS-appropriate sleeper horde here" = the horde will not include special zombies

Or so I think. I threw the mod together quickly with little regard for safety or best practices! 🙂

Edit to add: I just went through Dishong Tower at GS127 and I didn't see anything worse than a Fat Mama zombie. No errors, and it sure seemed like the zombies were easier than I'd expect for a T5 POI at that gamestage.

Edited by Boidster (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

Hate to tell you this, Roland, but since A17 the always walk does make everything except zombie dogs, zombie bears and living animals always walk, including ferals, radiated, cops (until they reach the charge and explode trigger), and demolishers.

Yes, but. Ferals and other specials have their own "aggro" speeds which are faster than normal zombies and these are still in effect even when they are set to "walk only". If MaxTunnerX's complaint is that Ferals and such move faster than other zombies when set to "walk", he does have a point. Specifically, the standard zombie template has this aggro range (0.2 would be used in the "walk" setting):

<property name="MoveSpeedAggro" value="0.2, 1.25"/>

And the Wight, for example, has this - over 2x the aggro speed of a normal:

<property name="MoveSpeedAggro" value=".5, 1.35"/>

These two started at the same spot when I aggro'd them (from about as far behind Arlene as the Wight is in front of her now).

image.png.8858f0172656f5739c769beb81c8949c.png

A simple modlet to "fix" this would just replace all MoveSpeedAggro values with "0.2, 1.25" throughout entityclasses.xml. Everything would move like a normal zombie.

3 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

Hate to tell you this, Roland, but since A17 the always walk does make everything except zombie dogs, zombie bears and living animals always walk, including ferals, radiated, cops (until they reach the charge and explode trigger), and demolishers.

What do you know?  I never select that so I was going off of what @MaxTunnerX was claiming. I guess he meant the rage mode. Thanks for correcting my own misinformation. (Given your claims are true…heheh)

In any case, there are zero fix it tickets for the walk setting because it really is operating as intended (however that happens to be) and is not broken.  I never press that particular button, myself, so I’m at the mercy of professional casuals to steer me right on this.  

Now, if you don’t want rage to happen then select Scavenger. 

@BoidsterBro, I need to applaud you again. I have just tested the mod you uploaded the other day and it's working pretty neatly. I'm on gamestage 340 and in the short time I was using the mod I checked a couple POIs and surrounding area (one in forest one in burnt forest or whatever the biome is called). I have only seen standard zombies and one fat one, which I guess isn't standard cause it gives more exp, but I still consider it normal because it's slow and melee. The only downside I could see was that there were still vultures in the game. Can you tell me how to remove them?

@BoidsterBro, I need to applaud you again. I have just tested the mod you uploaded the other day and it's working pretty neatly. I'm on gamestage 340 and in the short time I was using the mod I checked a couple POIs and surrounding area (one in forest one in burnt forest or whatever the biome is called). I have only seen standard zombies and one fat one, which I guess isn't standard cause it gives more exp, but I still consider it normal because it's slow and melee. The only downside I could see was that there were still vultures in the game. Can you tell me how to remove them?

You can either set the spawn rate to 0% chance or change what is spawn in place of the zombie itself.  If you open up the file that Boidster replaced for casual zombies, that will point you in the right direction.  Then find any instance of vulture and either change the name (say you want to replace vultures with wolves) or lower the spawn chance to 0%.  You will need to find the correct name of the entity you want to replace so that the console doesn't give you errors trying to spawn in a non-existing entity.

I am at work right now so I can't give you specifics.

11 hours ago, Boidster said:

I did not check POIs, no. The mod should not cause any problems in POIs, as it only replaces one zombie name with another in all of the spawn groups. However if POIs have specific sleeper zombies specified, then the mod will not remove them. If the POI uses one of the sleeper entity groups, then no special zombies ought to spawn.

So, POI designer sez "I want a Wight to be in this corner" = there will be a Wight in that corner

POI designer sez "Spawn a GS-appropriate sleeper horde here" = the horde will not include special zombies

Or so I think. I threw the mod together quickly with little regard for safety or best practices! 🙂

Edit to add: I just went through Dishong Tower at GS127 and I didn't see anything worse than a Fat Mama zombie. No errors, and it sure seemed like the zombies were easier than I'd expect for a T5 POI at that gamestage.

you know what is weird.  I got this itch to download the original mod and your mod, and go through them, seeing how the original mod author went about it.....even though I personally have no desire to mod any of the specials out of the game  🙂

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

I got this itch to download the original mod and your mod, and go through them, seeing how the original mod author went about it

Most likely they went about it close to the same way but the original got broken by an update and was never fixed. The real travesty here was @Boidster letting the vultures slip through!  Vultures in a casual mod? PAH-LEASE!!!

Nice troll move though….I could see him chuckling as he made the mod knowing that eventually Max would run into vultures while believing everything was lemon squeezy. 

Then, again I’m a bit shocked also that Max wanted wolves left in. I  die to wolves more often than to any special infected or vultures— and wolves….run. 

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

13 minutes ago, Roland said:

Most likely they went about it close to the same way but the original got broken by an update and was never fixed. The real travesty here was @Boidster letting the vultures slip through!  Vultures in a casual mod? PAH-LEASE!!!

Nice troll move though….I could see him chuckling as he made the mod knowing that eventually Max would run into vultures while believing everything was lemon squeezy. 

Then, again I’m a bit shocked also that Max wanted wolves left in. I  die to wolves more often than to any special infected or vultures— and wolves….run. 

Well like I said, I only met wolf once in my entire new playthrough and also I got the animal tracking perks as soon as I could because then I can detect them. But of course, if they start chewing on me or jumpscaring me I'll get them the hell out of my game.

22 minutes ago, Roland said:

Wolves though are a great source of meat.  The mod I got right now reduces meat harvest so no more existing on rabbits and chickens alone (they are reduced down to 3 per).

Though me personally, I love a pack of zombie dogs or vultures as they are a good source of rotten flesh and feathers.

But hey I am different.  I love it when I misjudge a situation and several ferals make me pay for it  😉

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

Cops are still in there too as well as Soldiers and Football Players. So I guess it's a casual-ish mod?

Anyhwho, there are instructions in the entitygroups.xml file that is included with the mod for how to remove whatever you want. Here's how to replace vultures with chickens:

1. Open up the modlet's entitygroups.xml file. You will just see a bunch of lines like this

<set xpath="/entitygroups//entity[@name='zombieArleneFeral']/@name">zombieArlene</set>

That line will replace zombieArleneFeral with zombieArlene in the game's own entitygroups.xml. So any time the game would normally try to spawn an ArleneFeral, it'll instead spawn a normal Arlene.

2. Add a line like this (anywhere you want; order doesn't matter):

<set xpath="/entitygroups//entity[@name='animalZombieVulture']/@name">animalChicken</set>

<set xpath="/entitygroups//entity[@name='animalZombieVultureRadiated']/@name">animalChicken</set>

3. Save the file and start your game.

The instructions at the top of the XML list all of the "normal" zombies (not animals) that are left over from my work. If you want to replace any of them, just repeat the above steps putting the unwanted zombie in the orange spot, and its replacement in the green spot.

Here are the hostile animals and the "timid" ones. You can do the same thing above to replace any of the hostiles. You can even replace them with zombies if you want. Replacing the Bear with the leather-clad "biker" seems appropriate.

Hostiles Timids
animalBear animalStag
animalZombieBear animalDoe
animalWolf animalChicken
animalCoyote animalRabbit
animalDireWolf  
animalMountainLion  
animalZombieDog  
animalSnake  
animalBoar (only hostile if you attack)  

animalBossGrace

(special POI boss; may not be replaced by this mod)

@BoidsterYou're a real MVP man! I'll get right to it. Man, I've never even known there were fkin radiated vultures. Anyway, good sense of humor with the "bear". The Family Guy cutaway comes into mind as well :D.

As for your mod, I really don't want to force you to do anything, especially when I will do the xml for myself, but since your mod is already up there, you should think about replacing anything that can run or fly (including animals) with something that can only walk, such as basic zombies or with docile animals. Only then can you call that mod a casual mod and people will be safe from stress and harassment. If they want to get some hostile animals back, they can do it on their own risk later.

By the way, now that we have the replacement business finished, I would like to ask something. Would it be easier, the same, or harder than replacing the zombies if I wanted to reprogram their AI? Specifically, I want to take away their ability to attack me on their own. This would allow me to keep vanilla game, and even use literally any server config, but at the same time give me room to do whatever I want and face the challenge I want by only allowing zombies to attack me if I attack first. Is it in any way possible for me to do that? And would it be more or less work than doing what I just did with the xml?