please make an invisible block around farm plants.. right now i have to swing 50 or so times to harvest a plant each one different it makes farming not worth it.

thornnnn

each plant has it's own attack angle  please make it so plants can be harvested as easily as hitting a cement block.. or farm dirt.. which is what i usually hit instead of the plant  till i get a lucky random strike in and it harvests..   usually harvisting the seeds next to it before i get it to harvest..   why is it so difficult to farm?

It normally is not. I can harvest plants easy and consistently. And other players I play with also have no problems. If I use fists I should be standing in the neigboring block. Maybe you are too far away or you are too close (not sure if one can be too close, I did not test that lately)

Each plant has its own hit box that is roughly shaped like the plant it self. In other words you have to point the mouse right at the plant and when you attack it should hit it. Note that putting rows of plants next to one another is typically a bad idea as it is really easy to hit the hit box of more then one plant.

ok video time.. this is nuts.. 

it seems plants are easier to hit when you face east or west.. as the plants are 2x 2 dimensional  object looking does this mean only one plane is hittable?  it is nuts to have to swing 20 times to harvest a plant..   the hardest plants are goldenrod and chrysanthemums ..  but magically for this vid they harvested with only 2 or 3 swings.. but usually goldenrod and the red plant are like this coffee plant i tried to harvest.. i NEVER have problem with potato, blueberry, corn or yuka plants  and i almost ALWAYS have problems with the red and  yellow plants.  maybe add a box that if you hit the dashed box over any given plant  (only observable when your in the next block) that it harvests the plant.  as it is it seems the "target" is different for each plant.. i dont know which leaf to attack to harvest.  makes farming a real drag..  not to mention destroying my cement walls trying to hit a plant.

25 minutes ago, Danidas said:

Each plant has its own hit box that is roughly shaped like the plant it self. In other words you have to point the mouse right at the plant and when you attack it should hit it. Note that putting rows of plants next to one another is typically a bad idea as it is really easy to hit the hit box of more then one plant.

Did you warn against "rows of (plants next to one another)" or "(rows of plants) next to another" ? If the former, I would disagree.

I use rows of plants and rows of walkways alternately, so they look like this:

PPPPPPPPPPPPP

PPPPPPPPPPPPP

x

PPPPPPPPPPPPP

I would for example start at x, look directly at a plant. Hit, short click on D (aka step to the right), hit, short click on D ...

8 minutes ago, thornnnn said:

ok video time.. this is nuts.. 

it seems plants are easier to hit when you face east or west.. as the plants are 2x 2 dimensional  object looking does this mean only one plane is hittable?  it is nuts to have to swing 20 times to harvest a plant..   the hardest plants are goldenrod and chrysanthemums ..  but magically for this vid they harvested with only 2 or 3 swings.. but usually goldenrod and the red plant are like this coffee plant i tried to harvest.. i NEVER have problem with potato, blueberry, corn or yuka plants  and i almost ALWAYS have problems with the red and  yellow plants.  maybe add a box that if you hit the dashed box over any given plant  (only observable when your in the next block) that it harvests the plant.  as it is it seems the "target" is different for each plant.. i dont know which leaf to attack to harvest.  makes farming a real drag..  not to mention destroying my cement walls trying to hit a plant.

I don't get this unless I am too far away. If you get this next time, try to step a bit closer or a bit farther away and try again. It may be that you were drifting farther and farther away from the plants while sidestepping until you were too far away for hitting it.

the path is only 1 block wide..  i have    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  (plants

============ walk way

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx plants

the path is only one block between the rows of plants  i've tried pushing up against the farm block while i swing.. and backing aganst the farm block behind me ans swinging..   it'  is like i have to find the exact leaf to hit from the exact angle.. or it's not duplicateble to harvest  i face the plants and move sideways to harvest one at a time.. sometimes i can harvest if i turn to the right or left 45 degrees.. and swing at an angle.. but then half the time i harvest the seed from the prior plant.. i seem to have no problem harvesting seeds... perhaps they can swithc that around.. so it's easy to harvest a plant.. but hard to h arvest a seed?

14 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Did you warn against "rows of (plants next to one another)" or "(rows of plants) next to another" ? If the former, I would disagree.

I use rows of plants and rows of walkways alternately, so they look like this:

PPPPPPPPPPPPP

PPPPPPPPPPPPP

x

PPPPPPPPPPPPP

I would for example start at x, look directly at a plant. Hit, short click on D (aka step to the right), hit, short click on D ...

I don't get this unless I am too far away. If you get this next time, try to step a bit closer or a bit farther away and try again. It may be that you were drifting farther and farther away from the plants while sidestepping until you were too far away for hitting it.

I am talking about rows directly next to one another and especially if you embed the farm plot into the ground so that your walking on your plants as your harvesting.

pppppppppppp

pppppppppppp

Aka no walkway between rows or any from of buffer which makes it very hard to harvest specific plants.

It is much better to do it your way with a gab and the plots sitting on top of the ground so that the base of the plant is at eye level.

notice how it says "COFFEE PLANT" when i look at the plant.. while that label is UP.. it should harvest if i swing..

why does it show that i have targeted the plant.. but my swing hits  a wall behind the plant insgtead of the plant or the dirt..

whatever method they use to put "coffee plant:" up there.. should be used to hit the plant.. cus using pixels under hte mouse is not working.

yeah i have no rows adjacent..  goes wall .. plants.. walkway.. plants .. wall

corn potatos blueberries  yukka.. all work perfectly..  so i wonder what hte difference is..   seems easly solvable tho.. when you look at a plant it brings up the lable   "coffee plant" .. while that lable is up.. CUS YOUR LOOKING At the plant.. A swing should harvest..  not sure how they do it now..  but farming is not fun when i have to swing twenty times to harvest. 1 plant.

8 minutes ago, thornnnn said:

the path is only 1 block wide..  i have    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  (plants

============ walk way

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx plants

the path is only one block between the rows of plants  i've tried pushing up against the farm block while i swing.. and backing aganst the farm block behind me ans swinging..   it'  is like i have to find the exact leaf to hit from the exact angle.. or it's not duplicateble to harvest  i face the plants and move sideways to harvest one at a time.. sometimes i can harvest if i turn to the right or left 45 degrees.. and swing at an angle.. but then half the time i harvest the seed from the prior plant.. i seem to have no problem harvesting seeds... perhaps they can swithc that around.. so it's easy to harvest a plant.. but hard to h arvest a seed?

When I back up to the plants behind me I find that I am slightly too far away for consistently harvesting the plots. So I usually back up to the plants behind and then step a little forward. Or simply try to stand in the middle of the walk way.

in fact corn is fun cus i just use the auger and run down the row

be nice if the harvest area was aabove each plant like it is for corn.. so you can just run down teh rows with an auger and not hit dirt or seeds

i'll try backing up and moving forward.. but pretty sure i have tried that.. even tried changing angles of attack which seems to work somewhat.. cept for harvesting neighboring seeds .. i ahve to go back and replant when i 'm done..   wonder if it's a desynch prob.. where client and server have us in different places.  i can't be the only one having this problem?  and one prob is it seems the sweet spot is different for each plant.. i'd rather just have  an inviisble block.. surrounding the plant.. just like it was a square cement block.. i NEVER have a prob hitting a sqare cement block!    or just look at the plant.. if it says COFFEE PLANT.. then a swing shoudl harvest@!  thanks for hte help !

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

I don't get this unless I am too far away.

How can he be "too far" when he is clearly hitting the block behind it.

I get this too.

I have opened a bug report for this but it doesn't seem to be taken seriously.

Harvesting can be very frustrating as it stands right now, whether that be plants in farm plots or out in the wild.  It is very easy to damage the soil block, hit a plant next to or behind the plant you are clearly targeting, or miss repeatedly even though the interface tells you you have the thing targeted.  That doesn't mean farming is not worth doing but it does make it VERY frustrating at times.

I usually plant long rows on top of the ground with two spaces between each row.  Zero chance of damaging things behind that way and harvesting goes as easily as it can for me, but it is still very frustrating.

My vote is to have TFP make a harvesting tool that one would use to harvest plants (doing no damage to anything else, ever) and make the farm plots invulnerable to damage (or self healing, either way) so long as something is planted in them.

I don't have this issue.

I am wondering, since it only happens to you with certain types of plants, is if the rotation has any effect.

When I am planting, some seeds don't plant "on the square" and instead the default is for them to plant sort of diagonally. My ocd can't handle this, so i rotate them to square before planting.

I am almost positive coffee and the flowers are diagonal default planters. You could try rotating them before planting and see if you still have difficulty harvesting.

I will occasionally have to do a second harvest attempt, but very rarely and never more than 3.

Just made a test in 19.2 with chrysantemium and found out the following:

1) Like I said when I was backed up to the row behind me I missed a lot

2) But also when I touched the plot I did miss a lot and this way I probably would hit anything behind it

3) The absolutely worst results though I did get if I set the seeds diagonally (i.e. turned them 45 degrees before planting them). So katarynna's hunch seems to be correct. Default seemed to be square planting though in my test at least.

7 hours ago, Tahaan said:

How can he be "too far" when he is clearly hitting the block behind it.

I get this too.

I have opened a bug report for this but it doesn't seem to be taken seriously.

Yeah, just reread that. The bug is filed under "work in progress", so they are working on it. But it seems you think you know better than them what the problem is and want to tell them HOW to fix the bug.

Lets say you are right and they changed something between A18 and A19 that made things worse. Then there probably was a reason why they changed the code and that reason is still valid. So they might not just go back to what it was in A18 but solve the problem some other way. You simply don't know enough to tell them what to do.

8 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

Hop up in the plot and harvest looking down. Works like a champ. The only crop I harvest looking forward is corn.

this is precisely what i do and yet to have issues at harvesting any crops. :)

also if i place the plots on the ground and look into them i can harvest with no issues too.

i feel its the aiming reach that might be causing issues when standing and punching at angles. (could be wrong).

9 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

The only crop I harvest looking forward is corn.

dont forget the yucca plant acts same as corn as far as height is concerned. :)

3 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

i feel its the aiming reach that might be causing issues when standing and punching at angles. (could be wrong).

I agree because it is worse with some weapons and tools than others.

My best experience is with using a knife.

But aparently even though I said I "believe" and "it matches my experience" I'm acting like I know better and telling TFP what to do.

5 hours ago, Tahaan said:

But aparently even though I said I "believe" and "it matches my experience" I'm acting like I know better and telling TFP what to do.

I said that because you were complaining that "it doesn't seem to be taken seriously. ". This begs the question what you expected apart from the bug being worked on and a tester telling you it is worked on ?

If I have misunderstood you I'm sorry, but this is the impression I get from your message there and your subsequent complaint here.

19 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

Hop up in the plot and harvest looking down. Works like a champ. The only crop I harvest looking forward is corn.

10 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

dont forget the yucca plant acts same as corn as far as height is concerned. :)

This^

I also find it's easier for me to walk down the length of the crop row instead of walking along side of it like in the OPs video.

Like this:

---> PPPPPPPPPPPPP

Archived