A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

56 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

it was fixed for a20.

hint - those who stand in fire get hot foot. :)

Reveal hidden contents

or a hot head

Oh I see. So it was fixed for a20 and not for a19. Gotcha. I can confirm that in some cases in a19 ( I will for now use the word "some" as I didn't test it in ALL cases and only as a client) you can start to burn AFTER the particles disappear. Very  briefly, but you can. As I said, it could be just the particle video option messing with us as the code seems to be spotless. "Fireproof" if you like.

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, WonOnOne said:

Are those ADA (American With Disabilities Act) compliant sidewalk ramps? Looks like we gotta worry about zombies in wheelchairs now.

Actually, no. The event that led to the zombies, World War 3, was caused because a significant portion of the world decided to reject disability policies -- such as ADA in the United States of America -- but the majority was violently opposed to this. Some countries went wholly one way or another, and others were split. The USA was split and Arizona, where the game is set, had already forcibly replaced ramps on many sidewalks. with full curbs. You might still see a ramp here and there, of course, but not across the board.

34 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Pretty sure they are POIs.

The interesting question (asking Faatal here) is: Can a subway POI stack with a building above it if it has no basement ?

They look like they're part of the tile's with drainage culverts and not separate POIs to me.

11 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

They look like they're part of the tile's with drainage culverts and not separate POIs to me.

Right, I checked the video again and the sewer entrances in the background did not change when new POIs were setup.

22 hours ago, meganoth said:

Pretty sure they are POIs. EDIT: ... and it seems that is wrong

The interesting question (asking Faatal here) is: Can a subway POI stack with a building above it if it has no basement ?

I think a "tile" and a "POI" are essentially the same thing, but used in different ways. Consider Navezgane, for instance: it has the POIs we know from random gen, but it has something that random gen doesn't city prefabs. The city prefabs has the roads, the sidewalks, the street lights, the street sights and stuff like that. Like the gravestone_city_blk_01, _half and _quarter, or diersville_city_block_01 and _02. The POIs are then overlapped over these city prefabs.

Given what Robert revealed before I believe creating a tile is little different than creating a POI in the prefab editor. You'll have to add the POI insets and there might be some other metadata, plus the name must follow a rigid convention, but, in the end, a sewer is just something inside a giant POI. I wonder if tiles can have quests, though I suspect not -- resetting the tile might have bad consequences on the POIs overlapping it. Though one could also see a tier 6 "clear" quest that is on a tile, and resetting it also resets all POIs in that tile. That would be cool, though I doubt there's anything like that in the works. Or not for alpha 20, at any rate.

So all the questions about sewers can be answered just by looking at what we have been told about tiles. For example, a sewer (or subway) could cover a whole city the same way the roads above them are connected to each other. On the other hand, they cannot not follow the roads, since tiles are matched by roads. And whether or not alpha 20 comes with such an integrated sewer system (I don't recall any mention of subways), as far as we know one _can_ create something like that as a mod, simply by creating the tiles and patching the mixer to place them as a district or something.

32 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

realy soon in tfp meaning mean - next month😂

Year. 😁/obvjk "Next month" is day after tomorrow here. :) 

More seriously, I'm looking forwards to catching the stream recording (please have one up on YouTube). My ViaSat connection doesn't like live streams.

6 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

My bet is the beginning of January. ;)

4 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

Year. 😁/obvjk "Next month" is day after tomorrow here. :) 

More seriously, I'm looking forwards to catching the stream recording (please have one up on YouTube). My ViaSat connection doesn't like live streams.

honestly i hope my grandsons will play in full version. i know they are will be 80 yo but maybe they manage to play 😂

2 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Have fun with the A20 live streams everyone. :D I'll be avoiding all A20 content from hear on out until Experimental releases so I can have as a "genuine" experience as possible. :)

I tell myself this year after year, but this will be the time!

See you at the first dev stream!

2 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Have fun with the A20 live streams everyone. :D I'll be avoiding all A20 content from hear on out until Experimental releases so I can have as a "genuine" experience as possible. :)

I tell myself this year after year, but this will be the time!

See ya next Tues Mech. 😁

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Most of these details will be revealed in the devstreams which should be starting up real soon.

You know it's getting serious when they use "real soon" instead of "soon". Which is later than "around the corner".