A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

3 minutes ago, SarkMCPFan said:

oh i meant the ones that dont give a loot cache at the end of exploring.. i like the others that gives the reward for taking that time to explore the building to completion. just feels nice. (also i was just curious to be honest really)

If you're talking about POI's like the Ostrich Hotel and the no-name hotel, those have loot rooms now, although not as impress as even bog standard houses. I'd imagine both POI's will be reimagined sometime in the future.

If you mean the broken down buildings, no, those are staying.

1 hour ago, SarkMCPFan said:

oh i meant the ones that dont give a loot cache at the end of exploring.. i like the others that gives the reward for taking that time to explore the building to completion. just feels nice. (also i was just curious to be honest really)

You mean the "Remnants"? Those are meant to be easily ready early game makeshift bases... that's the main reason they're in the game.

15 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

[...]The player should be forced to be a nomad until the end-game[...]

I strongly disagree here.

The player should definitely have total freedom to choose whereever and whenever he wants to get settled.

It's a sandbox game.

If you don't like to make your base in the middle of a city to have short ways...then just don't do it.

Another thought on that:

I could get along with "the players choices are limited/influenced by environment" (which is already the case considering biomes...wasteland harder than forest/green... no one would initially go there and make a base.

So considering that, how about bandits would preferably have their outposts/encampments within towns/cities...so if you want to live in a city you would first have to get rid of them...and maybe then takeover/use their former base/structures.

I could go with that...it even sounds somewhat "realistic"...although i hate to use that word in a game like 7D...

Edited by meilodasreh
added second thought on players freedom of choice (see edit history)

On 1/13/2021 at 8:34 PM, Blake_ said:

@madmole my dog companion is ashamed of that concept art (Bla bla bla i can't read)

Hide contents

Personally i would have picked a more "Generic" dog too fit the role. like a Wolf or even a Wild dog.

what i would have done was make a Dog like a Lab or a Shepherd down to the Muscle, with little to no skin, bone showing, teeth Exposed and white eyes. and its skin has a rotten look to it.

But i still Love the look of the new doggo model. tbh i didn't know what the new/current one was. A rottweiler?, A doberman, some inbred dog found in a trailer park? 

But Great work art team!

23 hours ago, madmole said:

It won't happen. Decent melee and ranged bandits needs done yet and that itself is more than a handful.

but how will the bandits melee work?

is it more Basic where they just run at you and beat you with a stick? or is it more Complex (or at least whats the ideal melee combat you're team wants)

16 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

@madmoleplease give an eta for a20, being slightly vague is fine

everyone else calm the f down. This isn’t meant to be an absolute date.

you know. im not supposed to tell you. but i talked to one of the staff members (i can't say their name)

and i can be banned for saying this but he said

Spoiler

When its done

1 hour ago, Shado47 said:

@madmole Hey, I wanted to bring up something that I have been thinking about for a long time and probably suggested once before. Seeing as people keep asking if more basic zombies will be added, its safe to say players want more variety in terms of zombies. Have you considered adding a clothing / hair color system for zombies? Basically all zombie models would be with only basic clothing and individual zombies spawn with different clothing items on, similar to how Minecraft zombies can spawn with different armor items on different slots. This way a horde of zombies of the same type would still look massively different from zombie to zombie. Add randomly tinted hair colors to that (95% natural colors) and hordes will really have all the variety anyone could ever ask for without the devs having to add more zombie types. This would also allow any zombie to become a "special infected" by giving them a gamestage dependent chance to wear special clothing like the Demolitioner zombie's bomb jacket. I mean, you'll most likely be implementing a system just like this for bandits anyway so they can have varying outfits made from different items... there isn't really a reason to not do it for zombies as well and once and for all get rid of the question of variety and making hordes look like actual hordes, not the result of a cloning accident.

What you just described was called UMA, and it was a complete and utter failure due to performance reasons... :nono:

7 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

Another thought on that:

I could get along with "the players choices are limited/influenced by environment" (which is already the case considering biomes...wasteland harder than forest/green... no one would initially go there and make a base.

So considering that, how about bandits would preferably have their outposts/encampments within towns/cities...so if you want to live in a city you would first have to get rid of them...and maybe then takeover/use their former base/structures.

I could go with that...it even sounds somewhat "realistic"...although i hate to use that word in a game like 7D...

Alright, at least we could meet at this juncture. I do find it a bit odd that settling in the middle of nowhere presents the same threat level to the player as settling in the middle of a city or a large town.

5 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

no respect for privacy. :)

So you do admit you're hiding something. ;)

42 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

What you just described was called UMA, and it was a complete and utter failure due to performance reasons... :nono:

Because that iteration of the UMA system was a mess. And the game is in Alpha, so I wouldn't worry about performance too much just yet.

On 1/15/2021 at 6:45 PM, Adam the Waster said:

Personally i would have picked a more "Generic" dog too fit the role. like a Wolf or even a Wild dog.

what i would have done was make a Dog like a Lab or a Shepherd down to the Muscle, with little to no skin, bone showing, teeth Exposed and white eyes. and its skin has a rotten look to it.

But i still Love the look of the new doggo model. tbh i didn't know what the new/current one was. A rottweiler?, A doberman, some inbred dog found in a trailer park? 

But Great work art team!

The old dog (a19) has correct colouring but weird shape (it's unclear if it's actually a doberman but the colour suggests so). It is also not that scary looking and its overall quality was lacking.

The new one is perfect on the model part, with good sculpture and scary as hell, BUT the burned coat is weird to place in all biomes. I guess we can live with it. It's not a big deal. I mean if the "crawler" artist guy is on it, you can be sure that you will pee your pants at night with that puppy. Except he's not. A big improvement from the Fat lady model though, both in colour and Zbrushing. Excellent sculpture skills are finally noticeable.

On 1/14/2021 at 7:36 PM, madmole said:

That was never promised.

Hi again @madmole , long time no see. What are you working on at the moment? 

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

2 hours ago, smokingpaper said:

Who's pinky finger do we have to cut off to make a point that we need the option "Toggle to run" ?

i uses a controller so.

lol

4 hours ago, Blake_ said:

The old dog (a19) has correct colouring but weird shape (it's unclear if it's actually a doberman but the colour suggests so). It is also not that scary looking and its overall quality was lacking.

The new one is perfect on the model part, with good sculpture and scary as hell, BUT the burned coat is weird to place in all biomes. I guess we can live with it. It's not a big deal. I mean if the "crawler" artist guy is on it, you can be sure that you will pee your pants at night with that puppy. 

Hi again @madmole , long time no see. What are you working on at the moment? 

I like the model but like i said i would choses something more generic. i would say Wolf but the dire wolf will be a zombie wolf