Do people still actually starve to death anymore?

th3s0n1c

Patch: 19.1 stable.

I've seen a lot of people saying finding food was quite the struggle in A19.. then TFP turned up the number of animals. But I've been running around just testing some stuff and it seems you have to try really hard to actually starve to death.

I'm at 0 food and all I'm losing is like 1hp every 1 or 2 minute (real time).

I may be wrong, but I think it used to be much more severe, wasnt it?

I mean, sure, there's the 30 stamina debuff and all.. and the constant reminder that you're hungry. But that would require actual 2 real hours (or 2 in game days - on standard 60min days) for you to actually die of starvation.

Is this right? IRL I guess a person would starve to death in 2 days, but for a survival game, that's sort of a cup of tea, isnt it?

everything is WIP thus always being tuned in one way or another as the devs go.
yes it used to be drastic but things are getting evened out and we  (players) are getting used to it now and see the symptoms before we get in trouble.

as for how long it takes to starve in real life... its debatable but couple weeks to month or so.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=how+long+does+it+take+for+a+human+to+starve+to+death&ia=web

:)
QA Tester-unholyjoe

17 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

everything is WIP thus always being tuned in one way or another as the devs go.
yes it used to be drastic but things are getting evened out and we  (players) are getting used to it now and see the symptoms before we get in trouble.

as for how long it takes to starve in real life... its debatable but couple weeks to month or so.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=how+long+does+it+take+for+a+human+to+starve+to+death&ia=web

:)
QA Tester-unholyjoe

Ok, scrap the 2 IRL days thing.

But yeah, this needs some tuning back lol

Thanks for the reply.

Just Neebs Gaming as far as I'm aware.

Although I'm on day 37 on a new playthrough and haven't seen a single stag yet. Was actually wondering if they've been nerfed out of existence. Still a decent amount of wolves, dogs, chickens, and bears for meat  though.

12 minutes ago, Fenris said:

Just Neebs Gaming as far as I'm aware.

Although I'm on day 37 on a new playthrough and haven't seen a single stag yet. Was actually wondering if they've been nerfed out of existence. Still a decent amount of wolves, dogs, chickens, and bears for meat  though.

Deer are rare to the point that when I do see one in game what ever I'm doing gets dropped and it gets hunted.

For me and my crew we tend to run on "hungry" more often than not depending on what we're up to. I don't mind the hunger decreasing faster than I seem to recall. I am the crew cook and I tend to go north for "hunting trips" and come back pretty stacked on meat. It's the eggs I can't find for other recipes and potatoes are even more rare, so we began a farm. Grilled meat is the cornerstone of our diet until it's harvest time then it's Shepard's pies and steak and potatoes, baby! 

Deer are super rare, but bears and cats aren't up north so we dine on plenty of those. Chickens and rabbits are also pretty abundant, just less rewarding. We never go into starving unless we're too busy grinding, but no one's died from it. I think that isn't really supposed to be a large threat. Just a present one so you don't ignore it. 

In latest A19.x game i have been close to starvation death. Need to eat animal fat to stay alive.

We have disabled all trader missions, loot 25%, vending machines refresh every 7 days, higher zombie difficulty and always run. It was hard for  first 7-14 days. Charred meat, grilled meat. Until get farm going, then its just those stew's. 

Food gameplay is somewhat weird that you dont even remember  how to make coffee, or just about anything else. And you go from 0 to 100 instantly. Meaning when you get the cooking skill, you pretty much skip all other foods except those stew's.

I don't even understand how anyone has ever starved or dehydrated to death in 7dtd in its entire existance. Food and water has always been a joke even when I first started playing back in a9-10. I mean their has always been tons of food sources in the game. Only way I could see this happening is if you get your priorities all mixed up, for example you don't need much of a base by day 7 in vanilla, find, or make a cobblestone smal corridor and sit behind 1 cobblestone block (the 1500 hp upgraded one) and melee the horde on day 7 it'll kill it, just repair the block as it gets damaged, I often do the first 2-3 hordes in vanilla literally in a small corridor behind a single cobblestone block seperating me from the zombies, due to how much of a joke vanilla horde night is. By day 7 doing this you should have a decent stockpile of food, keep looting and doing trader quests especially buried supply tier 1. Tier 1 buried supply quests the chests are often full of food and often recipe schematics to make food.

But yeah general tips: get a decent supply of food and water going before you even consider making a base, any poi on average will give you enough food loot to last 1-2 days on average, unless rng really hates you anyway.

Food early on is a nightmare, especially if you play with multiple people and have to spread all that canned/scavenged food around.  We started a new (2nd) game with more realistic settings (POIs only respawn after 30 in game days) since the upper levels got a bit too easy in the 1st.  Both games, however, we were constantly having issues with food early on (1st 20-30ish lvls) and constantly very hungry/starving.  It's one of those things where it feels like you go from 0-100% really fast, you either have it or you don't. 

Once you get a farm going and invest points in the farming skill, it clears up over a few weeks in game, but it still takes a sizable farm to manage everything.

Alpha 10.0 was a nightmare for early food. If you didn't get a farm going immediately you were screwed.

Alpha 17.0 was also a time I remember dying from hunger. A17.0 was the first time I remember dropping anything I was doing to hunt any animal I happened to see. In that build your stamina dropped all the way down to where you couldn't really do anything and you just died slowly not able to play. 

In both cases things got pretty carebear again with hunger pretty quickly. The player base just doesn't have a tolerance for truly lethal hunger and thirst gameplay. Hardcore settings for hunger and thirst and disease is best saved for mods really.

Has anyone modded vomiting back in.....?

I am doing my Fort build punching everything to death not wasting any points into recipes or intel

My first 14 days were pretty rough...eating animal fat and old sham sandwiches to stay alive! Which I have NEVER had to do in any of my playthroughs since A7...But after getting a few seeds as loot , learning a few recipes , starting to come across more animals (especially that Boars+Corn POI!) I stocked up now...around day 18 or so hunger stopped being a problem unless I am out on a very large T5 mission and run out of food...

3 hours ago, Roland said:

Alpha 10.0 was a nightmare for early food. If you didn't get a farm going immediately you were screwed.

Alpha 17.0 was also a time I remember dying from hunger. A17.0 was the first time I remember dropping anything I was doing to hunt any animal I happened to see. In that build your stamina dropped all the way down to where you couldn't really do anything and you just died slowly not able to play. 

In both cases things got pretty carebear again with hunger pretty quickly. The player base just doesn't have a tolerance for truly lethal hunger and thirst gameplay. Hardcore settings for hunger and thirst and disease is best saved for mods really.

Has anyone modded vomiting back in.....?

Darkness Falls mod did, most canned food has a 5-20% chance of food poisoning which when that hits you, your char pukes up all but 2 (out of 100) food in the bar. Thankfully you can cook 2 of the canned foods to make a slightly better food that doesn't have the food poison chance, but early game? it makes canned food mostly useless uncooked as the risk is too high.

I'd really like the devs to give that mod a try because it has a ton of idea's i'd love to see put into vanilla. Most recent big chance was there is no more need to smelt stuff in a forge, it works like a campfire/workbench. It also has a Big Forge with 3 mat slots back when it did smelt things. Vanilla deff needs a secondary forge that has 3 input slots IMO.

hmmm

latest play thru on int and food is not a concern but a factor to be aware of.

buckled and got living off land to get 2 from harvests. made a difference.

rotten flesh seems less abundant therefore slower to build farm plots

day 12 2 hr days and finally got enough farm plots and recipes and finding enough cans for fish tacos and sham chowder that i am starting to build a bit of a store so took 24 hrs of gameplay to get on top of it.

balance feels right imo

still eat out the store atm fast during a night of serious mining. thank god for black strap coffee .

just found potatoe seed recipe so i think food woes over

now i neeeeeeed gunpowder for day 14 as cops turned up in last wandering horde. gs must be increasing. man i need a crucible about now. int 10 and ramping up advanced engineering so will get it in time but will need to mine iron for a bit.

im not panicked but am aware of the bits i need to survive, a noob would freak if they knew what was coming. 1600 hours  game time so kinda know the ropes 🙂

3 hours ago, Scyris said:

Darkness Falls mod did, most canned food has a 5-20% chance of food poisoning which when that hits you, your char pukes up all but 2 (out of 100) food in the bar. Thankfully you can cook 2 of the canned foods to make a slightly better food that doesn't have the food poison chance, but early game? it makes canned food mostly useless uncooked as the risk is too high.

I'd really like the devs to give that mod a try because it has a ton of idea's i'd love to see put into vanilla. Most recent big chance was there is no more need to smelt stuff in a forge, it works like a campfire/workbench. It also has a Big Forge with 3 mat slots back when it did smelt things. Vanilla deff needs a secondary forge that has 3 input slots IMO.

kinda like the need to smelt. dunno why, just feels right to do it that way.

On 10/3/2020 at 7:10 PM, Scyris said:

100% agree. I really like the way many things are handled in the DF mod. The mechanic and logic of food is a bit more complex, but it seems to have a good balance that keeps food a challenge ,but not a ridiculous challenge well into the game.

Archived