Is there any quick way to deal with the safes in a post office?

ElCabong

I've always had quite a few lockpicks before I start opening safes. The thing is I don't know if it is worth it to get the lockpicking perk. I swear that most times it seems even though I had perk 5 it didn't seem any better than when I had just level 1. This is not just in one game either. I have played a few times and it seemed like the rnd gods just didn't like me when opening a safe. IIRC once at level 1 it took me 11 picks to open a safe :D

I already suggested to TFP to automate the lockpicks, because how they are now is as bad as having to keep pressing the mouse button with a pickaxe. Wait for break -- Press E for a second -- wait for break -- Press E for a second -- and so on and on.  Where is the advantage to a pick axe? If the lockpick breaks it should continue with the next one automatically until either the safe is open or you don't have any lockpicks anymore

Less noise is the advantage. Let´s be happy it´s not a minigame tbh. For crafting them you need only level one of the lockpicking skill. Or all "The great Heist" books. (I think it´s the heist books, correct me if am wrong)

Is it just me, or do they nearly never break during the first 3 quarters of the time for everyone?

28 minutes ago, warmer said:

ya the noise factor makes explosive safe entry pretty ridiculous compared to the stealthy lockpick lol

Does the lol mean you said this ironically? If yes, I agree. Most of the time lockpicks are relatively weak, because explosive safe entry is tremenduously faster and if you run through a POI with a shotgun that explosion won't matter, same with a high-level agi build. It really depends on user preferences, methods and your level.

Usually also with steel pickaxe and mining perks.

In later game i also return to the pickaxe instead of the lockpicks.

In an older game we even compared that in the military camp with the 2 big safes and 3 small ones. Most times my mate with steel pickaxe and mining perks had the safe opened faster then i am when using lockpicks with the perk. Only situation i was (a little bit) faster was, when i could open the safe with the first or maximum a secons lockpick. So in the end still pureley RNG-based if lockpicks can be even faster then a pickaxe.

So in later game i stop carrying lockpicks around all the time. In early game when you don't have steel tools and the perks, they are a good way to open safes anyway.

Noise is not an issue, we usually clear the POI (at least the surrindings of the safe) before opening the safe.

The timed charges imho are far far far to expensive for just opening a safe.

4 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Noise is not an issue, we usually clear the POI (at least the surrindings of the safe) before opening the safe.

Still is for me. No zombies seen around the Water works POI for hours, was mining some coal before i started the quest, but as soon as i am in, those little b´s hear everything you do in a 10km radius. Every time. I started to clear around POI´s before i go in. Doesn´t help. Killed everything around the bank that i could find, killed everything inside, started hitting the first safe and within 2 minutes i hear something banging on the wall. Every f*** time.

9 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Still is for me. No zombies seen around the Water works POI for hours, was mining some coal before i started the quest, but as soon as i am in, those little b´s hear everything you do in a 10km radius. Every time. I started to clear around POI´s before i go in. Doesn´t help. Killed everything around the bank that i could find, killed everything inside, started hitting the first safe and within a few minutes i hear something banging on the wall. Every f*** time.

Happens to me to from time to time, especially if I'm in a tier 5 POI and have relegated the resource stack looting to night time. But it is always a single zombie making noise as if a horde were outside. He often needs half the night to break a single block of the outer wall of the POI. If I'm in the same room that usually means I go there, give him a swipe or two with the machete and go away again. Half a minute later there is silence again.

Interestingly I very seldom get that when opening safes though. Must be the silencer on my pistol channeling its fu to the pickaxe

8 hours ago, Kotr said:

The auger is the best lockpick you can get.

This. Auger beats out lockpicks extremely badly to the point where lockpicks are near totally pointless honestly. My friend likes to try and race me with lock picks vs my  auger, and I almost always just break the safe before he can pick it.

Noise doesn't matter in A18 after the sleeper zombie change, zombies only aggro if you enter the rooms they are in, and 1 or 2 random straggler zombies shambling into the PoI just means more exp

I use a stapler on my left mouse button with a pick/sledge aimed at the safe. It's not fun but gets the job done and is cost effective, it's actually a good way to spend the nights in early game when going out would normally be a death sentence and most players just AFK till morning.

@meganoth In that water works quest where i mined a couple of hours before, right next to it with none showing up, i had one banging on the wall pretty much every time i went in the next room. It´s always like that, not that bad like in that case but still. One wouldn´t bother me either. It´s just never only one unless in smaller POI´s. It´s like the game calls them all in as soon as i do anything in a POI. Could be nitrogen and the tight city layout tough. But i don´t think that this increases the number of zombies, there are as few as always when i am outside.

1 hour ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@meganoth In that water works quest where i mined a couple of hours before, right next to it with none showing up, i had one banging on the wall pretty much every time i went in the next room. It´s always like that, not that bad like in that case but still. One wouldn´t bother me either. It´s just never only one unless in smaller POI´s. It´s like the game calls them all in as soon as i do anything in a POI. Could be nitrogen and the tight city layout tough. But i don´t think that this increases the number of zombies, there are as few as always when i am outside.

Did you have an argument with an evil witch? You probably are cursed 😁

Generally it is as it should be, the zombies are in the game to harass the players. And if this makes lockpicks look like the best deal for you, that's fine as well, everyone here seems to have a different prefered method to open safes.

The logfiles should be able to tell you why that zombie was spawned, it could be just POI sleepers (inside or outside), it could be heat-induced zombies or wandering hordes.

Archived