Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

14 hours ago, madmole said:

I'm pretty sure players can't have these draw call per object nice models, we get mostly crude stuff so players don't put 10000 bookshelves in and wonder why the FPS tanked. Level design balances their use and has a budget of how many polygons to spend. Most likely we'll get the same book case models to build with. You can mod it in though.

Thats unfortunate, what if players had the option to place a limited number only in their land claim space? it would effectively be the same as limiting them to PoI and would give players access to more stuff. Not a high priority by any means but it could be a good compromise, im sure most players would only want one or two of them. Maybe put all the high poly models under the same craftable block selector.

On 5/23/2020 at 12:03 PM, madmole said:

I get what you are saying, but there are so many 10-30 hour guys who never paint, its not something we should keep investing into because the lack of more important features is preventing them from discovering paint in the first place.

I would like to disagree, all my female 7 days to die companions (My wife, my cousins (3), and my grandma (ok, that one is a joke) saw painting as a really early game need, I know it's a survival game, but you are underestimating other aspects of the game that are really fun (Maybe not for you, but for a lot of the players)

On 5/24/2020 at 12:23 AM, faatal said:

I think the clock is just a texture an artist made. You would not see hands moving on that.

I really like the working stiff logo on the clock, it's a close to gold feature, but you should show more publicity/products from Working stiff, Pop'n Pills, Crack a Book, etc. like Fallout does, it gives you the feel you are on a real world.

11 hours ago, Trankitas said:

This is really great, if the game is enjoyable for the devs, it should be 10 times more enjoyable for the clients (us).

Its a special person that can play a game with all the bugs and wrinkles and not lose the love for it.

Its almost like, The Perfect Spouse:

"Yup, I saw you when you was drunk and @%$*#! was running down you leg... or maybe it was vomit, but it's OK babe!"  :)

10 hours ago, Aldranon said:

Its a special person that can play a game with all the bugs and wrinkles and not lose the love for it.

Its almost like, The Perfect Spouse:

"Yup, I saw you when you was drunk and @%$*#! was running down you leg... or maybe it was vomit, but it's OK babe!"  :)

Exactly, you get what i'm saying.

And it's impossible to tell someone that without them getting defensive.

Am I lazy? You bet. I have spreadsheets dedicated to writing XML code for those long lists of zombie spawns, incremental loot qualities, etc.

It may not be the "best XML editing experience" but I'd rather be done with it and move on. =P

9 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Tiny "rant" here, but I've been looking over some reviews and videos of 7D2D in A18, and I find it ridiculous that so many people still believe that you HAVE to exploit the zombies' AI, sending them on an infinite loop, in order to survive a BM horde in A18, meanwhile claiming that my castle and tower bases are "fake" since they are "impossible to defend in A18". I'm not even upset that I've been accused of being a fraud over and over, I just find it sad that people assume the game is just like A17 since it no longer resembles A16. Rant over, carry on people. 😛

Hi There MechanicalLens

I dont use any exploits in my current series, that said I did build my base way to big for now lol.

I am playing on warrior difficulty on my youtube series and its kicking my butt at hoard night but that is due my base is 30% complete and I am running 64 zombies alive.

Once my base is semi complete it will handle the hoard no problem with no exploits, I know Fataal has changed the way AI works A19, so I am hoping that exploits get broken.

As Madmole has said, people will always find a way to cheat the AI, I prefer taking them head on at all times.

When clearing a POI I never use the block in front a doorway trick, close doors yes, run screaming like a scared school girl yes.

Impossible to defend is rubbish, you have 4 kinds of turrets, so many kinds of traps, spikes, razor wire, reinforced concrete and steel and your own firepower.

If you build a little bit and place the right traps you can stop anything.

1 minute ago, Gazz said:

Am I lazy? You bet. I have spreadsheets dedicated to writing XML code for those long lists of zombie spawns, incremental loot qualities, etc.

It may not be the "best XML editing experience" but I'd rather be done with it and move on. =P

There is been lazy and been efficient and that is the latter.

Do I want rewrite the same line codes, over and over again, nope automate some it and be done with it.

9 hours ago, madmole said:

I'm pretty sure players will just have the same as A18.

To me its more work fixing up an old place than making a new one. Often you think you got everything boarded up nice but then some zombie gets in through a weak point you didn't see.

More like early to mid game and .02% :) Making a proper container has useful function in easily identifying what resources are in what storage container.

I'd like to get at least one upgrade for the campfire and forge.

Oh it can be if you pick the wrong POI to overtake, or little to no work if you pick the right one, and use it in the right way. That's part of the challenge of it, choosing and adapting wisely. Don't do what I did the first time and choose the football stadium, basically, although that one did turn out nice, eventually and with a ton of help. Now I prefer small houses or stores. One of my favs so far is the Pawn Shop near Trader Joel in Nav, a few of the houses on the lake there work well, the Post Office in Departure makes for a great remote base, and I am always down to flip a house in Diersvill. Anyway, it's fun but there is def an art to making it work out well.

I'm fine with the same bookshelves as before as deco, it's usable and works fine as is. As you said having proper containers is a useful way to organize, amen, and we have that at least.

Upgraded stations sound dope, dooo eeeet.

30 minutes ago, Gazz said:

This is also a culture thing, if everyone feels safe and not threatened then they can take constructive criticism without being defensive, everyone needs some guidance every once in a while, it also depends on the person giving the constructive criticism, if they do it right it's all good.

12 hours ago, madmole said:

I'd like to get at least one upgrade for the campfire and forge.

This is a cool idea, but please don't make it so that the current workstations - campfire, forge, etc. will actually be the new top tier. Make them new low tier and as top tier make something new and much cooler, so that we have something new and cool to work towards! ;)

22 minutes ago, mr.devolver said:

This is a cool idea, but please don't make it so that the current workstations - campfire, forge, etc. will actually be the new top tier. Make them new low tier and as top tier make something new and much cooler, so that we have something new and cool to work towards! ;)

What would be a lower tier than a campfire?

I hope we can make some kind of stove in the future, with some benefits and more specialization to be a chef in game. Now there is pretty decent engineers, electricians, fighters, shooters, hunters (remind me what "classes" i am missing)

It would be cool to see specialized chefs, drivers, blacksmiths, pilots, etc (add at will). I sure find interesting introducing some kind of classes system.

6 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

There would be nothing lower than a campfire. YOU EAT IT RAW😈

And that's how you can find yourself dead rather soon.

Archived