Do you hate crafting?

guardianangelmp

We'll see. It's still alpha so I just hope that we will get a solution that is satisfying for looters and crafters :D .

Btw, maybe I am blind, but I haven't noticed anything about lowering chances for T6 in b152 EXP. If they are the same as they were in b149 EXP, then my point is still valid - maybe I don't get many T6 items, but it's just faster and easier to loot/buy higher tier item than to craft it. Or maybe the differences between tiers are so small that I don't find it rewarding trying to craft T5.

And that's why I'm in zero rush to upgrade to A18 anytime soon.

Just wait till they finally do add in Bandits/NPC's. Yay... The Survival Looter/Shooter game. Yes, that's what drew all of us in to love this game all these years...

Just go ahead and add in Battle Royale so they can achieve 7 Days to Fortnite.

Some of you act like all these things (RPG skill trees, NPCs, bandits...) have never been in the to do list of the game since the day it got publlished on kickstarter in 2013, when in reality it's quite the opposite. I guess I don't understand how one can be mad at changes and additions that were always going to happen eventually.

Besides, what's wrong with bandits/NPCs?

At the moment the Fun Pimps are of the opinion that the best weapons and tools must be found and should not be crafted.

They are supported in this decision by the players who seem to never leave their base unless they get a reason to do so.

In A17 you could craft everything yourself, but most of the time I wasn't in my base. I even went looting more often than in the alphas before because I did many of the quests. So if the quests, over 300 books and parts you can't make yourself are not enough reasons to leave the base then I don't know what is enough.

I think you're slightly off base on this one.

In A17, you could craft everything and be self sufficient in/around your base. Or you could leave.

Now. You must leave.

The point there, of course, being the option to play how you want. Think crafting was too easy in A17? Self impose a loot-only restriction. Go find it instead. You had that option. In A18, looting wasn't made more important or desireable, or make people want to go look for things. They removed player choice.

- - - Updated - - -

I’m not telling anyone to shut up. Just wondering why it is coming up now and why all of a sudden the game is turning into Fortnite in the eyes of some when it wasn’t a hot topic before this week.

They took away crafting the highest tier but they gave us random stats instead of static midrange and they are making the higher tier items more rare. More low tier items means plenty of parts for crafting and more reason to craft since you may not find the top tier items.

At least in the Discord, this has been a topic of contention from the get-go.

The big difference is, we had X weeks or months to get prepared for what many felt was a bull♥♥♥♥ move in removing QL6. So by the time A18 dropped, most people had become numb to it. Then we get it back and the jerk it again in a couple days with no warning. I think the influx of complaints is somewhat warranted.

Welcome to the big butts thread. Take a seat. I mean two.

When I saw the title, I thought "whaaaat? TFP has removed the craft?" No, there are always a thousand recipes to prepare everything that is possible in the richest crafting game. Just not weapons and tools of high quality. Who cares except sclerotic minds unable to adapt and play the game as intended.

Love you too, guys :love_heart:

We'll see. It's still alpha so I just hope that we will get a solution that is satisfying for looters and crafters :D .

Btw, maybe I am blind, but I haven't noticed anything about lowering chances for T6 in b152 EXP. If they are the same as they were in b149 EXP, then my point is still valid - maybe I don't get many T6 items, but it's just faster and easier to loot/buy higher tier item than to craft it. Or maybe the differences between tiers are so small that I don't find it rewarding trying to craft T5.

The change may not be in yet but Madmole has said that he plans to do a pass on the loot tables to ensure that lower tier finds are more common and t6 items are extremely rare finds. He also said he will nerf the traders to not sell t6 items so commonly.

Tier 2-5 items sell for more than the parts and they now have random stats. Since it is possibly therefore to craft a blue steel pickaxe that is better than the purple steel pickaxe you found there is still good incentives to save parts and craft t5 items even if you already have a t6 version. And if you get unlucky you can sell it for a profit.

What killed crafting was that the item would always be mid-range on stats and the parts were so specialized. Those two restrictive features have been lifted. The way the devs were talking yesterday it seems as though they plan for legendary items to be a t7 level which would then open t6 to crafting and the legendary level would loot only.

I wonder if that does happen whether people will be outraged over not being able to craft t7 even though getting back t6 will have been the highest anyone has ever been able to craft since the game was founded.

Is the very existence of items that cannot be crafted in a game that calls itself a crafting game the thing that rankles?

I think you're slightly off base on this one.

In A17, you could craft everything and be self sufficient in/around your base. Or you could leave.

Now. You must leave.

The point there, of course, being the option to play how you want. Think crafting was too easy in A17? Self impose a loot-only restriction. Go find it instead. You had that option. In A18, looting wasn't made more important or desireable, or make people want to go look for things. They removed player choice.

I'm pretty sure you can be self sufficient in/around your base with blue level gear... There really isn't one ounce of "must" related to the aquiring of purple. It is great when you get it but self-sufficiency is attained by blue--possibly even green-- but blue for sure. So stay at home is still a choice if it means that much to you.

At least in the Discord, this has been a topic of contention from the get-go.

The big difference is, we had X weeks or months to get prepared for what many felt was a bull♥♥♥♥ move in removing QL6. So by the time A18 dropped, most people had become numb to it. Then we get it back and the jerk it again in a couple days with no warning. I think the influx of complaints is somewhat warranted.

This is all part and parcel of experimental. It isn't personal. Nobody is trying jerk the rug out from under anyone. It is just the way re-balancing goes. They knew shortly after A18 dropped that they had gone too far to the looting side of things and unintentionally devalued crafting-- much like A17 devalued exploration and looting. So they made a pendulum swing change but realized they went too far by opening up the purples to crafting. I can tell you that the reason for the update after only 4 days was precisely because they didn't want people getting too married to purple crafting. Their vision for the game is that the top tier is non-craftable. I think they are getting closer to a good balance where crafting and looting both feel important and an integral part of the game.

People who never opt in to experimental and who only start playing when it goes stable will never know about this back and forth on the balance. We are choosing to experience it and we have to remember that our desire for a personal stable play experience has to come second to what the devs need to do to get the game ready for the real public release of A18.

I think legendaries would have unique things about them (like say, a Legendary Pickaxe would have a flavor text stating "the well worn hand grip allows the wielder to swing it more fluidly, saving energy while working. *Effect~Efficient mining: stamina drain while swinging this tool is reduced by 25%)

or a Legendary Sledgehammer ("Czernobog himself used this very hammer to smite humans before the Calamity. *Effect~Damnation blow: Strikes to the head have a 50% chance of causing decapitation instantly, stamina cost to swing increased 20%)

the stats of the legendaries I thought of would be Steel grade at maximum values, so getting a Q6 steel pick or sledge would seem like no difference (except maybe legends having more durability)

These are just silly examples I pulled outta nowhere, and I doubt stuff like this would ever be craft-able unless you had to find like Named parts for said weapon (for the pickaxe: Shaft,Handle,Head )

The change may not be in yet but Madmole has said that he plans to do a pass on the loot tables to ensure that lower tier finds are more common and t6 items are extremely rare finds. He also said he will nerf the traders to not sell t6 items so commonly.

Tier 2-5 items sell for more than the parts and they now have random stats. Since it is possibly therefore to craft a blue steel pickaxe that is better than the purple steel pickaxe you found there is still good incentives to save parts and craft t5 items even if you already have a t6 version. And if you get unlucky you can sell it for a profit.

What killed crafting was that the item would always be mid-range on stats and the parts were so specialized. Those two restrictive features have been lifted. The way the devs were talking yesterday it seems as though they plan for legendary items to be a t7 level which would then open t6 to crafting and the legendary level would loot only.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I wonder if that does happen whether people will be outraged over not being able to craft t7 even though getting back t6 will have been the highest anyone has ever been able to craft since the game was founded.

Is the very existence of items that cannot be crafted in a game that calls itself a crafting game the thing that rankles?

Hard to tell... You're still investing a lot of skill points to be efficient with crafting. And you still can't get that pretty pretty best quality. Maybe if getting the legendary via crafting was not guaranteed (RNG craft that will yield item of any quality between 1 and 7). As I said before, I just hope that with the final release we will get a solution that is satisfying for both looters and crafters.

if u can craft everything and its even equal/better than loot what the point of leaving the base? (this was the main problem in a17, it was nonsense to risk your life looting since you could just craft whatever u want yourself). I do like crafting and there is plenty of things to craft in this game, i do think that max tier should not craftable tho, perhaps make it more difficult to loot also since there is no degradation

if u can craft everything and its even equal/better than loot what the point of leaving the base? (this was the main problem in a17, it was nonsense to risk your life looting since you could just craft whatever u want yourself). I do like crafting and there is plenty of things to craft in this game, i do think that max tier should not craftable tho, perhaps make it more difficult to loot also since there is no degradation

Again, you CAN'T craft everything without leaving the base thanks to non-craftable parts. This is a really great feature, especially when crafting parts we're made a bit more generic. Before that crafting was just OP, as you've mentioned it.

Again, you CAN'T craft everything without leaving the base thanks to non-craftable parts. This is a really great feature, especially when crafting parts we're made a bit more generic. Before that crafting was just OP, as you've mentioned it.

i do agree that parts are good addicion however they are easy enought to get, for the hight tier by the time u have the perks you probably have the parts also without even looking for them

i do agree that parts are good addicion however they are easy enought to get, for the hight tier by the time u have the perks you probably have the parts also without even looking for them

Right, I'm forgetting that you only need max skill points in the same skill that makes a weapon efficient to make it (+ schematics).But what if highest tier and a chance to craft legendary were all locked by the higherst skill in advanced engineering? This way "craft first" approach still would be viable without giving an easy access to highest tier with parts only?

But you have to leave the base to get them. That's the point.

And there are enough other reasons to leave the base. The Q6 items are just the icing on the cake.

The 300 books in combination with the slow level progress would have been more than enough to encourage players to loot. In A17 I was always looking for mods for my weapons and tools. In A18, it's the schematics.

I'm pretty sure you can be self sufficient in/around your base with blue level gear... There really isn't one ounce of "must" related to the aquiring of purple. It is great when you get it but self-sufficiency is attained by blue--possibly even green-- but blue for sure. So stay at home is still a choice if it means that much to you.

This is all part and parcel of experimental. It isn't personal. Nobody is trying jerk the rug out from under anyone. It is just the way re-balancing goes. They knew shortly after A18 dropped that they had gone too far to the looting side of things and unintentionally devalued crafting-- much like A17 devalued exploration and looting. So they made a pendulum swing change but realized they went too far by opening up the purples to crafting. I can tell you that the reason for the update after only 4 days was precisely because they didn't want people getting too married to purple crafting. Their vision for the game is that the top tier is non-craftable. I think they are getting closer to a good balance where crafting and looting both feel important and an integral part of the game.

People who never opt in to experimental and who only start playing when it goes stable will never know about this back and forth on the balance. We are choosing to experience it and we have to remember that our desire for a personal stable play experience has to come second to what the devs need to do to get the game ready for the real public release of A18.

Nope sorry to burst your bubble. Gear damage to entity and blocks is directly proportionate to xp received per minute, aka how fast you can level, which is important because A: ALL CRAFTING BENCHES SUCH AS FORGES AND WORKBENCH ARE GATED BEHIND 16 LEVELS WORTH OF POINTS. Meaning as a solo player you MUST achieve level 16-20 in under 1-2 hours of game time, while also making sure you have enough food/water/shelter and materials to support repairs on any and all salvaged gear. A brown t1 and a blue t5 may do exactly the same damage do to rng stats, but the t1 90% of the time will have lower durability therefore maintaining it's upkeep requires more materials.

Then there is the addition of parts, now scaling with QL. This means before the builder/gatherer guy has to now be proficient in combat as he needs to be a looter/quest guy in order to be builder/gatherer. DO you see why this is bad design? Before the builder/gatherer guy would dig up some iron, rock etc make a forge and then build the tools he needed to do that same task more efficiently. Sure he might have looted 1-2 houses for pipes, or cloth to get started, but after that he is digging holes for mats, planting cotton crops for cloth, using the iron and coal he mined to make springs or mechanical parts etc. Now he has no choice as those same tools he would have made from scratch now require him to wander out and raid every building he can find as those parts became prohibitively expensive to make, require bones, plots can't just be hoe ground plots that have to be crafted and he receives about half the mats he needs to be self sufficient without looting. This is why he can't just hang around his base and be that way anymore.

Quality of gear has nothing to do with it, QL5-QL6 who cares? It's the fact that without looting, questing and combat perks that gatherer can't gather enough, and that same builder can't build fast enough because massing the quantity of materials needed to do so in a timely fashion can't happen with blueprints, tool parts etc which means he has no choice but to go looting.

Everyone in a bunch over crafting QL6 I'm like why do i need plots for farming? Wasn't the hoe good enough? Cool to have a planter for a balcony i'll never ever build because no point when screamers are popping up every 2 minutes, wires hanging all over like a electric rats nest is tacky af, and it's not defensible with zeds that stack up and chew through reinforced (now double to cost to craft) concrete blocks.

You couldn’t craft t6 tools and weapons from the moment A18 came out. Where was this outrage the last two weeks? We got it back for 4 days and NOW we can’t live without it?

Despite reading the forum for almost two years (not very active, but I take a look once in a while) I opened my first thread ever with exactly that topic. I also saw at least one other thread with that topic. I wasn't in rage then and I'm not now, but that clearly shows that this topic didn't arise now, but was existent before we could craft q6 items. I wonder how you get the impression that nobody cared before.

In my thread I wrote that I'm pretty confident that TFP won't implement the whole weapon part stuff and distribute weapons among all skill trees, so overhauling the whole gear crafting system, just to make it useless at the same time. That wouldn't make sense at all and is a waste of development resources. So with the believe that gear crafting will be useful at some point there was absolutely no reason to be outraged in any degree, but I still found that topic important enough to share my experience as feedback and opened my first thread about it. If that doesn't show that the topic is important for me, what does?

They took away crafting the highest tier but they gave us random stats instead of static midrange and they are making the higher tier items more rare. More low tier items means plenty of parts for crafting and more reason to craft since you may not find the top tier items.

Even with q6 items being more rare, we are talking about two slots out of ten (if we consider everyone using just one ranged and one melee weapon and only pickaxes, axes and shovels as tools, so not counting augers, chainsaws, wrenches, alternative weapons, ...) you perk into in early to mid game. At the time you possibly could craft items for all slots you probably will already have found q6 items, or ideal q5 items for almost every slot. With that in mind you can either perk into two slots and hope you won't find better items than you can craft, or go for lucky looter and have better gear on every single slot, maybe even the two you would perk into otherwise.

Imho it's shortsighted to just compare looted items with crafted items without taking into account the skill trees. Because even if crafting would guarantee me better items on those two slots (what I don't even want), I'd still have to loot a lot of parts and still will loot better items for the other slots up until late mid to end game, so looting still would be the most important action for gearing up.

In my opinion, if looted items will remain better than crafted items, there is no place for lucky looter in this game. It throws any potential balance of. The only way I see to balance it, would be ramping up the damage part of the crafting perks a lot, but that would take away the freedom to use a weapon that isn't part of your choosen skill tree without shooting yourself in the leg.

Now. You must leave.

There are two ways of motivation to leave your base. You must leave your base, or you want to leave your base.

I started late with this game, it was already A15 and of course I was exploring the ♥♥♥♥ out this game the first hundreds of hours. Afterwards there was just no reason to leave your base anymore. I neither had to, nor wanted to (at least not as often as I think it should be). I left the immediate surroundings of my base 1-3 times a week after I got a wrench and a couple of engines on the first three days. In A16 I didn't even start to explore as much, since there was no new motivation.

In A17 on the other hand we had more vehicles, we had dungeon POIs, we had quests, the world looked nicer and so on. I almost always was out in the world, not because I had to, but because I wanted to. In my last A17 game I started decorating my base at level ~240, because until then I was out having fun. Being able to craft better gear than I found, didn't stop my motivation at all. In A18 it's the same. I'm not leaving my base because I have to, but because I want to. Loot being more important than before is a nice bonus, but there is no necessity for it making crafting gear useless.

So I'm with RipClaw on:

They are supported in this decision by the players who seem to never leave their base unless they get a reason to do so.

In A17 you could craft everything yourself, but most of the time I wasn't in my base. I even went looting more often than in the alphas before because I did many of the quests. So if the quests, over 300 books and parts you can't make yourself are not enough reasons to leave the base then I don't know what is enough.

Funny thing is that those players who seem to need an obligation to ever leave the base presumed in my thread that we wouldn't leave our "cozy cave" if we could craft useful items (hence why it seems like they need an obligation), despite me having been outside my base all day (and night) in A17.

You can still craft tiers 1-5

What's the point in doing that, if I already find better gear than I can craft? To craft a q3 weapon I first have to find 3 weapons I can scrap, so I already have 3 chances to find a better one. For each additional try I have to find 2 more weapons which have the chance to be better. I have to be really unlucky to have a reason to craft any weapon or tool. Either that or TFP will nerf looting quality chances to the ground. But that would affect all slots, not just the two I perked into. So in order to make crafting q1-5 useful they'll have to nerf all gear.

I'd rather see them balancing looting quality on the progression rate they consider right with crafting being competitive on those two slots, than them balancing looting quality so it makes crafting competitive in early and mid game. Also how do you balance that? Even if two people chose the same skill tree they still could progress in their crafting perks at a very different speed.

It's not about being unable to craft some particular items, it's about crafting gear being useful or not. I get that in A17 crafting being competitive was a problem. There was no limit on how many items you can craft without exploring the world (and thus taking risks) and you could easily progress to a point where you were able to craft high quality gear on every slot in early game. But that changed with A18. We now have to loot, no matter if we craft gear or just use the gear we loot. We also are limited in the amount of gear we can craft. And we now won't be able to craft high quality gear on every slot up until late end game (so at a point where we already had countless chances on finding better gear).

It doesn't make sense to balance crafting in A18 on the state the game was in A17. If we do, what's the point of all the changes that came with A18?

It is also about the feel of contribution to my progress. When I after farming materials for hours, some by mining, some by salvaging, some by looting, and so on, craft a shiny weapon of the type I specialized myself in and then go out to kill tons of zombies, I feel like I contributed to what I'm capable of. It makes me happy and lets me enjoy the game even more. On the other hand, if the capability of my character is solely bound to the luck I had while looting, it doesn't feel like I contributed to it as much. Either I'm lucky or I'm not. Being able to craft low quality (in proportion to the level I'm in) weapons is a safety vault at best. But we already have weapons we didn't specialize in as safety vaults that enable us to do stuff, but not as efficient.

if u can craft everything and its even equal/better than loot what the point of leaving the base? (this was the main problem in a17)

But we can't no matter if q6 crafting is possible or not. The situation has changed a lot since A17. There is no crafting gear (aside from stone/primitive) without looting in A18. Also the world got more interesting (already with A17, but even more in A18), so I don't need an obligation to leave my base, I already want to leave my base as much as possible. Back in A15 and A16 I made huge bases with lots of decorated rooms. In A16 I even build a subway line with multiple stations, due to the boring outside. In A17 on the other hand I always took over a T1 to T2 poi, replaced some broken blocks and painted walls, floor and ceiling. I had no time for big decorating or building projects, because there was interesting stuff to do outside.

And there are enough other reasons to leave the base. The Q6 items are just the icing on the cake.

This!

What's the point in doing that, if I already find better gear than I can craft? To craft a q3 weapon I first have to find 3 weapons I can scrap, so I already have 3 chances to find a better one. For each additional try I have to find 2 more weapons which have the chance to be better. I have to be really unlucky to have a reason to craft any weapon or tool. Either that or TFP will nerf looting quality chances to the ground. But that would affect all slots, not just the two I perked into. So in order to make crafting q1-5 useful they'll have to nerf all gear.

And nerfing (early game) loot quality is next on their try out list i think. Not sure if they also going to nerf lucky looter, since it is a perk and therefore a choice, but i would not be too surprised if they do both.

I dont believe the issue is just that something cannot be crafted, but that its perceived as a nerf to crafting as they have been craftable previously.

I liked they were added back in, but this explanation makes sense to me now as to what the intention was, I think it would have been much easier for people to swallow if a T7 / legendary was added which had never been craftable in the past though.

It may even be worth renaming T6 to legendary now to differentiate them from the normal craftable items.

It would really be nice if they would at least give us the option in the game options to put a max crafting level in ourselves. Having to mod the game to play it the way I've played it for the last several years is annoying. The level of RNG is too over the top, unless they want me to play with the loot % through the roof to get the items I want. We are on day 15 on my server with three hour days, and four to six people on together, almost all of us looting non stop to get basic ♥♥♥♥. We still haven't found steel tools at the traders or looting anywhere.

The problem is that no matter what looting is always better than crafting, thus there is no incentive to craft, so why the hell even have crafting in the game.

They had fixed the "never leave the base" when they made crafting require parts that could only be obtained through looting, so it boggles my mind why they wouldn't allow you to craft t6 items.

If they are afraid that you'll be able to craft t6 too quick then balance the parts required or make the ability to craft t6 need max weapon and stat perks and/or require so many parts of that item to be used in crafting before unlocking t6.

There are so many ways to be creative on how it could work, but they have shown they like the easy way.

If/when they do implement a t7 tier it may cause the same backlash if it's just thrown in (ie random drop from any trash pile or box), though I don't think there would be a backlash if they went the way of unique items in MMOs (make the item drop in only specific places/conditions and give each item a name, not just "t7 m60".....like boss drops in MMOs).

And yes, this opinion of looting is King and crafting is nigh useless has been around since a18 dropped. If you haven't noticed it it's because you are staying in an insular environment.

TFPs need a Community Manager. The information that you are sharing with us makes this entire process seem perfectly reasonable, but without it he changes seem arbitrary and senseless. If this thought process had been shared up front, you wouldn't see the uproar you're seeing right now. Not like a bunch of forum dwellers getting their jimmies rustled is a really big deal, but it could have all been easily avoided by telling people what they're thinking.

We are on day 15 on my server with three hour days, and four to six people on together, almost all of us looting non stop to get basic ♥♥♥♥. We still haven't found steel tools at the traders or looting anywhere.

As far as I remember I already had my first steel tools on day 15 in a solo game without lucky looter. But steel tools are endgame items anyway. Why would you judge the looting system by your ability to have end game items in early game? Progress overall is slowed down in A18, we finally won't reach end game in the first week anymore.

All in all I must agree with fun pimps removing the ability to craft Q6 weapons. And nerfing drops of higher quality items is good too IMO. It will slow the progression which imho is good, because in my last playthrough I found Q6 pistol on day 10 an have been using it ever since. No upgrades in sight.

I don't think there would be a backlash if they went the way of unique items in MMOs (make the item drop in only specific places/conditions and give each item a name, not just "t7 m60".....like boss drops in MMOs).

I don't think that would be the right approach for that game, but I do agree that this would change a lot in how I see it. If that kind of legendary were only achievable by doing (endgame worthy) challenges than I actually would have a contribution in getting them. That's a complete different thing than being lucky when opening a random container.

Even if they were to add legendary, it doesn't fix the problem of crafting being fairly pointless now. You can sure as heck bet they aren't making legendaries craftable if they even do something like that.

Crafting is now only worth anything super early game...beelining for level 3 in a skill to make decent quality items right away to get a job done....if you can avoid needing to do that, you can save those points and invest elsewhere....I don't really know WHERE, since that was a big draw of the game...but somewhere...

Depends on what you defines as crafting. You still craft food & meds, you craft ammo, you craft traps, you craft your base, you craft vehicles. Pretty much they took away top crafting of tools, weapons and armor. Still stuff to craft though. It's more like they made crafting a support role rather than a main one.

- - - Updated - - -

You couldn’t craft t6 tools and weapons from the moment A18 came out. Where was this outrage the last two weeks? We got it back for 4 days and NOW we can’t live without it?

The outrage is probably cause the people might feel they got trolled. They got T6 crafting then it got taken away. TFP's poked the bear on this one.

Archived