is building pointless now?

Linkhead2

How much do you like to build?

When I first started playing this game back in A7, I built a huge structures, tall towers, I put my garden in the middle of a lake made out of glass just because I liked it.

I got that out of my system. Now I don't build as much but what I need to build.

How much do you like to build?

When I first started playing this game back in A7, I built a huge structures, tall towers, I put my garden in the middle of a lake made out of glass just because I liked it.

I got that out of my system. Now I don't build as much but what I need to build.

I still build a lot for aesthetics, but building in A17 isn't as much fun as it used to be. I used to work a lot with the auger and it was a lot of fun. Now the auger raises the heat in the chunk very fast. I have the feeling that every 5 minutes a screamer comes along and I have to interrupt my work. In addition, it takes forever until you have the auger on a similar level as in A16. Without mods it is incredibly slow and inefficient. So you have to find the right mods to increase the block damage of the auger.

Moreover, a lot of shapes can only be made in special workstations instead of in the inventory. This slows everything down again. I hope that the shape selector will bring back some of the fun.

Was there ever any other point to build large base then aesthetics?

You got perks for it back in A15, it was also super quick to build which made it not seem as bad. Now its nerfed. Slow and Poor XP. Shame cause i enjoy building than just sitting there shooting the heck out of the same zombies. It gave the game extended playtime rather than just getting bored after 5 hours

I have developed my own "nomad" playstyle,back in A13 ... It worked very well for me in PvP servers and Co-Op games. Ofcourse this strategy has its own flaws... When basebuilding and defending becomes obsolete, the nomadic style gets the job done ;)

In other words, if you think you spend more for your base than you recive from it, that means the basebuilding is pointless or not worth it :)

I had a big base in A16 to maximize the loot from the horde night.

If your point of building a big base was to maximize the loot you got on horde night then yes, base building is dead. For that specific purpose a building is not needed because there is no loot on horde night other than the rare loot bad drop.

If your point of building a big base was to maximize the loot you got on horde night then yes, base building is dead. For that specific purpose a building is not needed because there is no loot on horde night other than the rare loot bad drop.

At least there's no reason anymore for me to build a big base without the zombie loot. My current horde base is tiny compared to the base I built in A16. I will certainly try out some more ideas for bases. Some of them will be bigger than my current base but all in all they won't reach the size of my A16 base.

i love building in A16 i just build a big town with connected tunnels, go at night hunting for loot and use the tunnels to move.

now on A17 its to tiresome to do this because everything is made artificially slow by the devs.

on a16 i could start a new char and explore until i can make a forge on the very first or maybe second day and start building.

At least there's no reason anymore for me to build a big base without the zombie loot. My current horde base is tiny compared to the base I built in A16. I will certainly try out some more ideas for bases. Some of them will be bigger than my current base but all in all they won't reach the size of my A16 base.

That's cool. It's all how you view the game. I still like building big bases just to mess around and test things. Big zombie mazes and grinders are my favorite.

- - - Updated - - -

i love building in A16 i just build a big town with connected tunnels, go at night hunting for loot and use the tunnels to move.

now on A17 its to tiresome to do this because everything is made artificially slow by the devs.

on a16 i could start a new char and explore until i can make a forge on the very first or maybe second day and start building.

Have you played the game much lately? They have changed many things from the first A17 release.

Building was one of the best aspects of the game, it just seems pointless now. Hopefully A18 brings back some use for building.

I lost hope for that. They seem to push everything that isn´t FPS gameplay to a level that it´s barely there just so they can say "Look we made a genremix"

Agreed.

It takes less than a week to get your forge up and going? And by week 3 you can have an auger and a base with all the crafting stations? If this is too long a time frame for you then sorry, your attention span is simply too short for this game.

I feel until the devs get the perks working the way they want it to. Base building might end up being something you either want to do to pass time, or just jump from one POI to another before horde night. Normally lvls didn't effect how everything went in the game, you lvl up to fast or to high early in game, the diffultity spikes in the zombies make progress tedious at best. Until we get that working model the fun pimps are finally happy to build upon, I find it easier to reinforce POI's you run across to keep ahead of the zombie curve.

There are thousands of ways to design a base. Just like in Rust, the bigger the base, the bigger your liability in attracting attention from PVP and Zombies. Currently you are rewarded for building smart vs. building big. I hope that doesn't change much.

There's little point in building imo; whatever you build is gonna get wrecked and with sleepers and dungeon crawls lengthening loot times in poi's, who has the time until late game?

Not that this is a bad thing, it just IS a thing in my opinion.

What I think influences building even more are the levelgates in A17 and how weak tools are without mods.

If you can't find an iron tool you have to wait until level 20 to make your own iron tools. Working with stone tools is not fun.

You can only make steel tools from level 70 on and the auger and chainsaw from level 100 on. You can be lucky and find the tools in good quality early but compared to weapons you rarely find tools.

You also need the mods to be able to mine resources effectively. Without Grave Digger, Bunker Buster and Iron Breaker the tools are much slower.

But I have hope for A18. Not only are there no levelgates, I've seen Madmole post a model for a toolbox on Twitter. The hope is that it will contain tools and mods for the tools as well as the weapon bag will contain weapons and mods for the weapons.

Most quests have tools among their rewards, it's pretty easy to end up with full metal tools early on.

The rewards are random. Therefore you often have to do several quests to get iron tools. I tried it and it took me 3 days of constant questing to get a pickaxe as a reward.

In addition, the tool alone is useless. If you can't repair it, the tool won't do you any good. Without a forge, you can't make forged iron for repair and whether the forge at the trader works is random. I can also buy forged iron from the trader but whether he has it in his assortment is also random.

In A16 I had a working forge on day 2 at the latest and was able to make and repair my own iron tools. I did not have to rely on luck but could achieve something with work.

The rewards are random. Therefore you often have to do several quests to get iron tools. I tried it and it took me 3 days of constant questing to get a pickaxe as a reward.

In addition, the tool alone is useless. If you can't repair it, the tool won't do you any good. Without a forge, you can't make forged iron for repair and whether the forge works at the trader is random. I can also buy forged iron from the trader but whether he has it in his assortment is also random.

In A16 I had a working forge on day 2 at the latest and was able to make and repair my own iron tools. I did not have to rely on luck but could achieve something with work.

I think it was A16's predictability that made TFP want to add more uncertainty to a players experience.

I also think allowing the player to chose what kind of experience they want to have (like Factorio for example) would be good for sales IMO.

Archived