17.3 is...

Morloc

Scanners was a crazy scary movie back in the day. I remember when it came out on VHS and we advanced that part above frame by frame to try and figure out how it was done. Long long before CGI and still an awesome special effect.

Map generation still leaves a ton to be desired though. I hope that is fixed for 18.

I decided to give 17 another try since there was an update. I came across a town where every POI was in a hole the size of it's footprint. Is that what is meant by a socket town?

Map generation still leaves a ton to be desired though. I hope that is fixed for 18.

Progression is also an issue, I just unlocked steel bar making and can already make tier 6 items, I know a18 is going to have it where players can only craft up to tier 5/blue, but I feel players should only be able to craft up to tier 3, this way there is more of a reason to go looting. I also hope they fix the manditory stats issue, like if you don't get 6-7 int, you can forget about work benches or chem stations, IMO perks like these should be under a general perk tree thats just level locked, as most of these ARE locked by level. Other ones that should fall under a general perk line is also miner 69'er and motherload.

You can't claim to give the player choice, then force many essental perks/recipies to be forced to a specific stat. Yes I call motherload/miner 69'er essental as they speed up mining, and with limited resources, you need to make the most of what you can get.

Yeah don't get me started on the randomgen, its terrible, well the biome layout is terrible, the rest of it is pretty good, haven't come across any road my vechicle can't get over this time, they seem to be on a smooth 40-45 degree incline. Poi variety seems better as well. Its also faster, but still half the speed nitrogen is for some reason.

Where I am in my current game I am level 36 on day 10, and do't really feel like playing as I can make tier 6 items, and once I get a few more levels and can make guns, I'll have bascally 0 reason to go out looting. I also hate the armor/inventory encumbrance system and wanna smack the person who thought those were a good idea, especally the inventory one. Armor one I can sort of get though I feel the penalites are too severe even with mods. Thankfully the inventory one is very simple to make a modlet to get rid of, armor encumbrance i'd like to half myself.

Yes I call motherload/miner 69'er essental as they speed up mining, and with limited resources, you need to make the most of what you can get.

Do you know if anyone has done a proper test to see if Miner 69'er is worth it. From what I have seen the higher you go in miner 69'er it just destroys resources faster so you seem to lose out on resources in the end. I would think that if for instance a bolder gave you 100 stone and it took you 7 hits to destroy it then with the next level of miner 69'er you should still get the 100 stone but with say 6 hits. Then if you upped mother load then you would get 120 stone in 6 hits...up your miner 69'er and get 120 in 5 hits..and so on. I don't think it worked that way for me though. I think I would get 100 stone in 7 hits and then the next level of miner 69'er would destroy the bolder in less hits and I would only get 80 stone. These numbers are estimated but you get what I am saying.

I think that workbench, chem station and some others should be behind a recipe book. If you're able to loot or buy a recipe book, you're able to make a work station that it entails. This way it is not limited by stats and level, but simply by progression (in some extent).

I would add to this a new mechanic - items (only recipes or otherwise just some items) that are always in a traders stock. This could include recipes for workbench, forge, chem station, etc., as well as beakers, cooking pots, grills, etc. Each of these should have an appropriate price, so that you can't simply buy things on day 1 or even it would be difficult on day 7, yet if you don't loot it, it's possible to eventually just buy them.

An even further addition, make weapon crafting hidden behind recipe books also (on high price, available only by trader).

@Khulkuum you haven´t been around when the forge was behind a book right? RNG can be a real HUGE pain in the butt in this case. Not a good idea. Like Week 3 with no forge, did happen. More than once.

This is why i think it should be able to be bought from the trader, but it should always be available. After a while you can accumulate even 10k coins, but the forge could cost like 5k. I often bought various items in the first week and could spend up to 10k, which isn't unrealistic, especially if you do some quests along the way and one could award you a few thousand coins.

EDIT: You could also add the forges that you can find in POIs, which players can use (if they are functional). Sure not having a forge can be difficult, but apart from not building one, you would have to not find a functional one nor find a recipe for it. Many ways towards the same goal. And yes, i'd presume that a found forge recipe book should also have a good price in the trader.

This is why i think it should be able to be bought from the trader, but it should always be available. After a while you can accumulate even 10k coins, but the forge could cost like 5k. I often bought various items in the first week and could spend up to 10k, which isn't unrealistic, especially if you do some quests along the way and one could award you a few thousand coins.

EDIT: You could also add the forges that you can find in POIs, which players can use (if they are functional). Sure not having a forge can be difficult, but apart from not building one, you would have to not find a functional one nor find a recipe for it. Many ways towards the same goal. And yes, i'd presume that a found forge recipe book should also have a good price in the trader.

Back in the days when forge was behind a book, one of the first things i'd do is hunt down the wilderness poi that usually has a forge and see if its working, if it was, thats my base for now till I find the book. Was easier back then when zombies were easy to avoid. Can do the same with workbenches or chemlabs, many poi's have one or the other and I tend to label ones that have a working one.

I agree for the trader thing though, have the trader always sell those recipie books for mandatory stations like forge/workbench/chemlab and such, but make them expensive, 5k+ dukes each base. This way you can do quests or earn the money and buy it, or find it in the world. Doing 4 tier 1 quests and unlocking tier 2, should net you close to 5k. The unlocking of tier 2 alone gives 2000 dukes. The buried treasure trader quests also pay over 2000 dukes each, if you get one in a desert or snow biome its really easy to do even on day 1. My first 4 skill points always go to the same thing each game, getting str to 3, and miner 69'er to 2. this lets me destroy snow in 1 swing with a stone shovel and no mods in it.

@Khulkuum you haven´t been around when the forge was behind a book right? RNG can be a real HUGE pain in the butt in this case. Not a good idea. Like Week 3 with no forge, did happen. More than once.

We picked up the Just Survive Somehow mod specifically because it put nearly all of the crafting back behind books that have to be found (and can appear in the trader's goods but aren't guaranteed). It brought the fun back to the game for us. We did have a game where we didn't get the forge book until week 3 but that was actually a really fun game. We had to find a forge in the world and plan our base to be near it. It made the game different and unexpected, which was a good thing.

I'm more concerned about that other thing...

Remember when Madmole said there will be no 1 year gap between alphas anymore and how they want to release them every couple of months?

Well, we've got A17 half a year ago and it doesn't seem like they are anywhere near A18, especially considering the fact that A17 itself isn't even done.

I'd say it's a matter of A17.3 coming out soon, not too long from A17.2. A18 will be a few months from A17.3, that's how i see it.

Also, my point exactly on the recipe books. People remember the bad times, because there you only could find the books (do i remember this as A14 or A13, and when was the trader introduced? Similar time i think. Additionally, finding working forges, workbenches and the lot was A15 or A16 i think (correct me if i'm wrong)?

This is progression in it's best form - work around what you find, craft and buy. One of my recent worlds sent me in a faraway corner in the forest with only a handful of POIs and a city far away. Not much to do, but i manage. I will find my way towards farther places, but it doesn't mean i have to start over... ADAPT.

This is progression in it's best form - work around what you find, craft and buy. One of my recent worlds sent me in a faraway corner in the forest with only a handful of POIs and a city far away. Not much to do, but i manage. I will find my way towards farther places, but it doesn't mean i have to start over... ADAPT.

I'm certain this is the main reason why the game is being dumbed down so much. People want everything NOW! no struggle no "looking" for items or having to "explore" for the things you need. Now its just kill for points to max out skills, destroying one of the best parts of the game ie having to adapt constantly and always be looking for that one thing!

Legendaries wont be the answer either, the game is losing what made it special and different every playthrough, my opinion so lets not start the hate debate plz.

Some things should be hard to find, some games should be a struggle, it should be hard to stay alive, The only struggle shouldnt be a neverending series of glowing green spitting zombies that bore the tits off ya. Game is now far too linear and far too predictable and its very sad to see.

i agree the game should be a struggle so what I have done is do no loot respawn, three day blood moon with a 7 day delay just so I can't predict it with 12 zombies. I have also set the experience gain down to 25%. Most fun I've had in a while. I'm only level 17 on day 13 and I've just unlocked the forge. I've had to loot and do trader quest to get my iron tools that I have. Also let the zombies run at night. BTW, no poi or trader had a working forge that I could find.

We picked up the Just Survive Somehow mod specifically because it put nearly all of the crafting back behind books that have to be found (and can appear in the trader's goods but aren't guaranteed). It brought the fun back to the game for us. We did have a game where we didn't get the forge book until week 3 but that was actually a really fun game. We had to find a forge in the world and plan our base to be near it. It made the game different and unexpected, which was a good thing.

I used to love looting book shelves, now it's meh a bunch of worthless magazine pages. Oh boy, 1 hour boost to some random skill. Yep, definitely carrying that back to base. (Not)

Do you know if anyone has done a proper test to see if Miner 69'er is worth it. From what I have seen the higher you go in miner 69'er it just destroys resources faster so you seem to lose out on resources in the end. I would think that if for instance a bolder gave you 100 stone and it took you 7 hits to destroy it then with the next level of miner 69'er you should still get the 100 stone but with say 6 hits. Then if you upped mother load then you would get 120 stone in 6 hits...up your miner 69'er and get 120 in 5 hits..and so on. I don't think it worked that way for me though. I think I would get 100 stone in 7 hits and then the next level of miner 69'er would destroy the bolder in less hits and I would only get 80 stone. These numbers are estimated but you get what I am saying.

For me, Miner 49'er is low priority. Good early game, but I never max out on it. Level 3 is more than enough, as it works well with some mods I can get the last hit with just a few hit point remaining. Every hit (last time I bothered to test) gives the same amount of resources.

When I mine an area I have a shovel that does just enough damage to one-hit sand, so if I hit coal for example, my pick axe will still get that final cheese hit. :)

Edit:

So optimal resource per ore is a two hit with the last hit being 1 hit point remaining.

I wish there was an easy fix to the patch work nature. Say a minimum biome size versus a bunch of hectare sized bits.

For myself, I play primarily SP. In that respect more than two of the same biome on a 4k map is plenty. 3 of the same biome on a 4k map is too much.

On MP I can understand the need for a more varied distribution to let everyone have a chance as resources in the early game versus one team dominating a particular biome and shutting the rest out in early game.

I used to love looting book shelves, now it's meh a bunch of worthless magazine pages. Oh boy, 1 hour boost to some random skill. Yep, definitely carrying that back to base. (Not)

Yeah, you're right there. All I do is sell them, IF I bring them back. Glad MM is rewriting that for A18.

Archived