Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

@Madmole I just got done watching the full video. If I may make a suggestion, this is my ocd kicking in btw, for the iron spikes you should be able to do advanced rotation and stick them to the walls of your base instead of stacking them up. They look much more natural this way, just sayin'.

I'm pretty sure I stuck the spikes to my base walls in A17 but I could be wrong.

Also what inspired your base design? I get a feeling of Italian or Spanish architecture when viewing parts of the base.

You could always make it so leveling up past 60 isn't so bad. :)

Also, if you want better stopping power, you could always put down another set of iron bars in front of the first.

You could hold out twice as long.

Yeah we'll probably put an xp cap to next level after level 50 or 60 or so, whenever everyone agrees it is feeling grindy.

@Madmole I just got done watching the full video. If I may make a suggestion, this is my ocd kicking in btw, for the iron spikes you should be able to do advanced rotation and stick them to the walls of your base instead of stacking them up. They look much more natural this way, just sayin'.

I'm pretty sure I stuck the spikes to my base walls in A17 but I could be wrong.

Also what inspired your base design? I get a feeling of Italian or Spanish architecture when viewing parts of the base.

They are mounted to dug out concrete in most places. I quit rotating them because its not worth the time and repair angle is always the same if you don't do that so they are easier to repair.

Mostly it was the textures, I got the paint out and the only thing remotely nice was the spanish mansion set so I just ran with that.

You're not making the waiting for A18 easy for us. Serious baiting going on :fat:

On the armor. I think theFlu got a point:

You don't even have the best armor in every slot and only one perk level in pain tolerance and are already at 75% reduction. Pain tolerance alone seems to be able to give you 20% more to reach 95%.

The problem is: The higher the damage reduction is the more influence it has on game play. I.e. going from 90% to 95% damage reduction means halving the damage you get and doubling the number of hits the zombies need to kill you.

Good choice to remove oil from the repair kit recipe since were gonna need that oil to make gas now.

Gas is just scale. I've added oil to all the trap recipes and a few other things so its not worthless. Still need to comb through more recipes and find more uses for it.

You're not making the waiting for A18 easy for us. Serious baiting going on :fat:

On the armor. I think theFlu got a point:

You don't even have the best armor in every slot and only one perk level in pain tolerance and are already at 75% reduction. Pain tolerance alone seems to be able to give you 20% more to reach 95%.

The problem is: The higher the damage reduction is the more influence it has on game play. I.e. going from 90% to 95% damage reduction means halving the damage you get and doubling the number of hits the zombies need to kill you.

Its not that great, look how f'd up I got when I didn't respect those basic zeds outside my base on my tour video. It peaks at 85% or something, then the reduction doesn't stack on armor, its a max of 20% of the damage you took with all the perks, so say you take 100 damage, armor cuts it to 15, then 15 - 20% = 12 damage taken.

Gas is just scale. I've added oil to all the trap recipes and a few other things so its not worthless. Still need to comb through more recipes and find more uses for it.

I must say, I liked ALL the things in the video. The combat plays nice and the farming and building changes are getting better by the second.

Just a fast feature request for you Madmole: Some of us would LOVE a "drop everything into the chest" key, but I don't know if it is a simple request or if it takes more than a few hours. Honestly, I can't keep up with all the changes (in a possitive way) so I think we'll live a little more without that feature if needed.

Its not that great, look how f'd up I got when I didn't respect those basic zeds outside my base on my tour video. It peaks at 85% or something, then the reduction doesn't stack on armor, its a max of 20% of the damage you took with all the perks, so say you take 100 damage, armor cuts it to 15, then 15 - 20% = 12 damage taken.

Ok, better. Maximum with all steel armor and lvl5 Pain Tolerance is at 89% then. So you will be able to withstand 2 times the zombie hits before you go down if you just find the rest of the steel armor pieces (while the influence of pain tolerance is rather low with heavy armor)

I suspect if you don't let zombies surround you there is no way to get killed without actively helping them with that much armor. But that's just theory, we'll find out next month hopefully.

I've enjoyed most of those games tbh. Not day z because the controls were sub standard and 2 hours of looting to find one bean can only to get sniped by a sniper with no life was not my cup of tea. Haven't tried stranded deep yet but will get to it.

Funny we should be talking about it. Stranded Deep just today had another version drop. They don't update very often, so slightly coincidental for it to happen today.

Worry not, the genetic similarity between chickens and humans is 60%. Similar with bananas and humans ~60%.

P.S. Don`t be so confused, we share 98% of our DNA with chimpanzees. And around 60% of the fruit fly, which lives for a day or something.

But we have the spark that makes us self aware when needed. If no need of change, you are good.

Well, bananas and fruit fly are 1% and 2% I believe. They are only talking about the genes that make proteins.

The Duke liked LBD and you were the one shoving cactus up his ass.

(This was not a metaphor Snow Dog)

Hey man, when I get all my leathers on and my grip around a whip, as long as the customer is paying, I'll shove whatever he wants up there. And if the Pimps stop pimping me out to people like him, I'll finally get around to our appointment, Roland.

I must say, I liked ALL the things in the video. The combat plays nice and the farming and building changes are getting better by the second.

Just a fast feature request for you Madmole: Some of us would LOVE a "drop everything into the chest" key, but I don't know if it is a simple request or if it takes more than a few hours. Honestly, I can't keep up with all the changes (in a possitive way) so I think we'll live a little more without that feature if needed.

Being a hoarder, I second this.

-A

One thing I noticed in both videos was the sound of being hit in heavy armor - it uses the same sound effect as hittin metal doors/walls, and I find that a bit distracting. It would make it difficult to tell on horde nights whether the sound is myself being hit, or the zeds trying to break into my base. Any plans to change that to an effect that sounds more like armor actually being hit?

As someone who's worn plate armor and been hit, I can guarantee it sounds a lot different from smacking a wall. ;)

Archived