Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

MM, can we please get an option/xml tweak, or something, to easily make it so we can kill Traders? without needing to jump through the extra hoops to do so? pls-n-ty

Edit: and No! I don't hate the Trader feature.. I just want to make a quest to keep them alive.. just responding to the post below this one, so you don't think I don't like a feature ;)

...yet traders are invincible and there is such a mechanic called a "land claim block" that feeds the laziness of players...

Look, I'm not saying don't lock tools in campfires (in fact I think that would be dumb too) but let's go ahead and remove invincible traders and LCB's as well. =)

Make this game REALLY socially dynamic.

Traders are traders, they have nothing to do with player dynamics. For all intensive purposes they are a POI that lets you craft stuff into dukes, where you craft that into whatever you can.

And one persons hated feature is 5000 other people's favorite feature, sharp stick or LBD so we aren't going to be seeing any huge changes moving forward, mostly polish new content and optimizations.

Talked about them, but in a game where you can break any block fairly easily, it just doesn't make much sense.

Lockpicks = faster, stealth friendly. You don't want to spend those rare points on strength to smash those pesky safes faster? Just craft lockpicks and try your luck getting them open quietly in lock-picking minigame (or whatever system you as developers deem appropriate for this game).

Traders are traders, they have nothing to do with player dynamics. For all intensive purposes they are a POI that lets you craft stuff into dukes, where you craft that into whatever you can.

And one persons hated feature is 5000 other people's favorite feature, sharp stick or LBD so we aren't going to be seeing any huge changes moving forward, mostly polish new content and optimizations.

What intensive purpose is that, exactly? Also what's an LBD. You're making it hard to keep up.

EDIT: Make lockpicks loot only. We shouldn't be able to craft everything.

it does matter, sure its "faster" to destroy, but not everyone wants to just destroy everything. Some of us want lockpicks for the immersion, some want to it as a diversion from the so call norm of this game. But since you are set on this issue, guess its up to the modders to make it happen, again and again.

Some want lockpicks because its common sense in their style of gameplay.

I already said I pushed for lockpicks, but sure turn it into hate on madmole if you want. We can't be in alpha 17 years we need to go gold so anything that isn't 10 minutes of xml or not on the KS list is getting curb stomped.

What intensive purpose is that, exactly? Also what's an LBD. You're making it hard to keep up.

Ah its refreshing to see someone doesn't know what LBD is. That confirms my squeaky wheel suspicion thank you very much.

I already said I pushed for lockpicks, but sure turn it into hate on madmole if you want. We can't be in alpha 17 years we need to go gold so anything that isn't 10 minutes of xml or not on the KS list is getting curb stomped.

May I ask, who was it that shot down the lockpick idea, and what their reason was? I mean, modders already made it happen, so I'm unclear as to what the roadblocks would be for you guys to add the feature?

-A

I mean, if you obfuscate things by tossing around weird acronyms that nobody uses to prove your point, congrats? It's like you don't even use your LTS when you drive!

EDIT: Learn by doing was great for certain skills, much better than this 90s perk tree going on.

Not trying to hate here, if I was, you'd know it and I'd be banned. Sorry, was just trying to make my point about what matters to some of us players and what doesnt.

Hello everyone!

There is some things I would like to have in A18:

I - First of all, new zombies and I got some examples:

- Nuns zombies > You would think twice before looting church and temples. They can bring fear back to the game.

- Fiancee zombies > A rage woman that did not marry her lover.

- Male/Female native zombies > Tribal zombies, nice?!

- Gothic zombies > They saw this apocalipse coming..

- Looter zombies > Who dont want to chase a zombie with a bag full of good stuffs?

- Grabber zombies > a zombie that will grab you until you hit them

- New icy/fire zombies in their respective biomes..

II - Some zombies changes:

- Crawler zombies > Not having legs / Half body

- Screamers > When they do scream, if the player is near her will get hurt and get a stun debuff, something like that.

III - Game atmosphere:

- BLOOD! > more blood in houses, zombies, everywhere.

- Zombies eating dead human/animal corpses in streets, houses..

- Random horror sounds effects > humans dying/screaming..

IV - New weapons

- Spear

- Claws

- Poison arrows

V - New traps:

- Bear trap > Zombies wont move

- Trap to catch small animals

VI - New animations/systems

- Kicking/pushing away zombies

- Swimming

- Fishing

- Zombies distraction - It could be done adding firecrackers, speakers boxes or whatever that make noises to attract zombies

VII - Fruitful trees

VIII - New animals:

- Fish

- Birds

- Rats

- Hyenas for desert biome

- Lizards

IX - New Perks

- Agility - A new perk that increase movement speed

- Challenge perks - Zombies get more health/damage dealt, but more % to chance to drop a bag.

- Perception perks - Add a new perk for distraction, for example, when using firecrackers

I know some things will happen anyway and anothers wont, but thanks for making an A18!! We all are so excited!!

May I ask, who was it that shot down the lockpick idea, and what their reason was? I mean, modders already made it happen, so I'm unclear as to what the roadblocks would be for you guys to add the feature?

-A

Its more about adding scope for something you can already do in the game, break blocks. There are thousands of doors in the POIs and going through and adding a lock difficulty to each one would add tons of scope and we're going gold ASAP so anything that doesn't fulfill a KS goal isn't getting added. Level designers spent a lot of time designing dungeons and the locked doors are locked for a reason, they best experience is following the path we made for you. Sure you can break the door and go another way, but we're not going to make it easy for you by adding lock picks.

At the end of the day I agreed it added scope without adding much to game play. Sorry we've been in alpha too long, we need to finish 7 days so we're not those guys in alpha for 10 years. Maybe the next game can have locks, we will have the basics in it would be easier then.

Hey. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone at TFP for all their hard work. It's definitely appreciated, at least by most of us :)

You've probably already been ask this, but I was just wondering if the mineventtriggers were slated to be finished in the near future. There's a lot of modding potential there, and a lot of us already have things set up to utilize them, but they aren't hooked up in the code yet.

Not trying to hate here, if I was, you'd know it and I'd be banned. Sorry, was just trying to make my point about what matters to some of us players and what doesnt.

No worries. To each of us, there are things we would love to see but unfortunately we can't keep adding/changing things forever. Thats how we ended up in alpha almost 6 years now.

Once again people are hating on adding content through modding like it's a bad thing. Instead of bemoaning that lock picks will have to be added by modding be glad that lock picks CAN be added by modding. It isn't that the devs are too lazy to add your own personal most wanted feature. It is that they created a framework that allows for many personal most wanted features to be added by creative individuals who also want them.

Lockpicks aren't going to be a vanilla part of 7 Days to Die. Go go Modders!!!

Talked about them, but in a game where you can break any block fairly easily, it just doesn't make much sense.

I disagree. Being able to quietly open a gun safe or otherwise protected (trader/under claim) wall safe would be huge.

Quick question for you Joel, because I think I'm ready for getting my dreams stomped on once and for all today... Will we ever get friendly NPCs besides traders, who can actually walk and shoot and accompany us like in Fallout games or was it just my wishful thinking this whole time?

With the addition of the double barrel shotgun and the M60 heavy machine gun, should we expect any changes to reload/aiming mechanics in the future? With the inability to cancel reloading, or turn off auto reload on empty, I can see myself dying from being forced to reload after forgetting about adding a mod to it (which empties the magazine). I already find myself just never using the Crossbow or Blunderbuss because it doesn't allow you to switch to a melee or weapon after firing, so I'm worried it will be the same with the double barrel.

As a fairly new player these additions look like they will be fun, keep up the good work! I'm really hoping for some additions that will make unarmed/spiked knuckles more viable, sounds like a heist could have a bruiser.

Its more about adding scope for something you can already do in the game, break blocks. There are thousands of doors in the POIs and going through and adding a lock difficulty to each one would add tons of scope and we're going gold ASAP so anything that doesn't fulfill a KS goal isn't getting added. Level designers spent a lot of time designing dungeons and the locked doors are locked for a reason, they best experience is following the path we made for you. Sure you can break the door and go another way, but we're not going to make it easy for you by adding lock picks.

At the end of the day I agreed it added scope without adding much to game play. Sorry we've been in alpha too long, we need to finish 7 days so we're not those guys in alpha for 10 years. Maybe the next game can have locks, we will have the basics in it would be easier then.

I disagree. Kenshi is an example of a game that stayed in alpha for 11 years and, while it has 5 times less buyers, the final result is good and the line drawn was good enough. 7dtd needs a 2021 release/dlcs. It is the best of the genre, and the very first of its kind. With great power comes great responsibility, which, in this case, is adding the good stuff, and more good stuff, and deeper good stuff until it becomes fun to a guy/gal to play alone for hundreds of ours and I repeat completely alone (no streaming).

Guppy is not in my explanation. That guy would not be bored playing alone 7dtd for 29487659823745 days.

Well, it's better to know sooner than later, right?

Here is what he said 2 weeks ago.

No we're not Bethesda... yet. Coding in followers in a fully destroyable world is a nightmare, and would subtract from the total entities alive in the world and the people (in general) want more zombies and more players not crappy NPCs that get stuck on stuff. I'd love to have followers but until we get believable bandits its not on the table at all.

yep, I said probably not followers, but will have npcs, or already do with traders. I'd rather say probably not and then suddenly we have it than promise it and never deliver.

Yes, bandits and enemy NPCs will come for sure, but friendly npcs you can recruit and follow you around? Thats a lot harder to deliver at an acceptable quality level so probably not this game.

Once again people are hating on adding content through modding like it's a bad thing. Instead of bemoaning that lock picks will have to be added by modding be glad that lock picks CAN be added by modding. It isn't that the devs are too lazy to add your own personal most wanted feature. It is that they created a framework that allows for many personal most wanted features to be added by creative individuals who also want them.

Lockpicks aren't going to be a vanilla part of 7 Days to Die. Go go Modders!!!

Maaaaybe.

That's assuming the hooks are still in there with A17 and moving forward. With A17 you guys have yanked a lot of code that modders were relying on...

-A

Hey Madmole,

Can you speak to a general feeling that A17+ is pushing more towards incremental progression system and coming away from a RNG momentary instant boost as 16- was? For example, finding a Mini Bike book or a Hunting Knife book when speaking of momentary instant boosts. Is 7 Days pushing more towards incremental game play in your opinion?

And if you feel the momentary instant boost feeling is still present, can you talk about what in A17+ gives you an equivalent feel to finding Armor Books, Weapon Books, and the mini bike book, and so on?

Maaaaybe.

That's assuming the hooks are still in there with A17 and moving forward. With A17 you guys have yanked a lot of code that modders were relying on...

-A

If he makes an acid bomb that quietly removes the lock then that should be the easiest thing in the world to change into being a lock pick. I think I could practically do it on imagination alone by squinting so that the acid bomb icon blurs out and I can tell myself it's a lock pick. Modders should have no problem with it. ;)

Archived