Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Hey Madmole,

Can you speak to a general feeling that A17+ is pushing more towards incremental progression system and coming away from a RNG momentary instant boost as 16- was? For example, finding a Mini Bike book or a Hunting Knife book when speaking of momentary instant boosts. Is 7 Days pushing more towards incremental game play in your opinion?

And if you feel the momentary instant boost feeling is still present, can you talk about what in A17+ gives you an equivalent feel to finding Armor Books, Weapon Books, and the mini bike book, and so on?

1443718656-admiral-ackbar-its-a-trap-jpg-9d3969f6562f31a3ead18f072a5498d3.jpg?w=407

Talked about them, but in a game where you can break any block fairly easily, it just doesn't make much sense.

For what it's worth, I'm with TFP on this. Considering what is still left on the "Core Game" list to do, lock picking is a bit of a daunting task. Any one of the prefabbers out there knows how challenging it is to go through and tweak all their prefabs because of a game change. A16 to A17 wasn't exactly a small example of this.

I'd rather see those static NPC's, Bandits, AI improvements, RWG improvements, more in game content, more quests, factions (which I believe is something you've mentioned), and so on. Lots left to do. Lots to improve upon.

And I'm pretty sure lock picks are already a modded thing in some of the Overhauls (at least one).

- - - Updated - - -

1443718656-admiral-ackbar-its-a-trap-jpg-9d3969f6562f31a3ead18f072a5498d3.jpg?w=407

knock it off Trolland. lol. It is not. I'm not going to fight. I'm just looking to re-orient my thinking. If A17 isn't also a test bed for some features, then fine. But if the overall game play is changing, it's probably a fair thing to talk about. Get all the pissing and moaning on it over with, which, yeah, it will come. But just get it all out, get expectations reset, and we can all move on.

Here is what he said 2 weeks ago.

Thanks, I didn't catch those posts. So it's a very small chance that there will be NPC followers, I don't take it as a promise, but chance is still a chance. I wouldn't mind crappy NPC followers as long as they do the trick. Followers made by Bethesda had to be fixed by modders and everyone still loved it. Many things were crappy and then got improved over time. Remember disappearing minibikes? That required a lot of time and patience to fix. We are all patient as long as we know that the good stuff is actually on its way even if it takes its sweet long time to arrive.

Quick question for you Joel, because I think I'm ready for getting my dreams stomped on once and for all today... Will we ever get friendly NPCs besides traders, who can actually walk and shoot and accompany us like in Fallout games or was it just my wishful thinking this whole time?

Probably not because everyone on a server would want a companion, which would double the expense. Unity's character controllers eat CPU like crazy, so unless we write our own / license the source / pull some amazing optizations out of our butts I don't see it happening. Plus its one thing to make a bandit look good a follower might glitch bad on ladders or getting to player bases. I would say no but maybe down the road. We've hired some amazing guys so I'm starting to see the impossible become a reality which is a great sign. Why not just play MP?

I agree it would be really cool, but I don't know that our small team is up for that with this game. We are working towards it though.

Maaaaybe.

That's assuming the hooks are still in there with A17 and moving forward. With A17 you guys have yanked a lot of code that modders were relying on...

-A

LOL I don't think so. I'd venture to say that the new codebase can do 98% of what the old did, but the old could do 10% of what the new can.

If he makes an acid bomb that quietly removes the lock then that should be the easiest thing in the world to change into being a lock pick. I think I could practically do it on imagination alone by squinting so that the acid bomb icon blurs out and I can tell myself it's a lock pick. Modders should have no problem with it. ;)

:p

Your argument is predicated on the false assumption that an acid bomb behaves the same as lockpicking does! Similar (NOT identical) result, and completely different mechanics.

Not a deal breaker, and hopefully modders can rescue the concept.

-A

If he makes an acid bomb that quietly removes the lock then that should be the easiest thing in the world to change into being a lock pick. I think I could practically do it on imagination alone by squinting so that the acid bomb icon blurs out and I can tell myself it's a lock pick. Modders should have no problem with it. ;)

It would be super easy to just make a lock pick model (gun) that does high damage to blocks with a certain tag (coming soon in a build near you). THe harder part is having it UNLOCK locked doors. And to deal with that in MP raids. But breaking a secure to an insecure one is just damage. You just have to make sure it doesn't deal big damage to entities/stone etc.

For what it's worth, I'm with TFP on this. Considering what is still left on the "Core Game" list to do, lock picking is a bit of a daunting task. Any one of the prefabbers out there knows how challenging it is to go through and tweak all their prefabs because of a game change. A16 to A17 wasn't exactly a small example of this.

I'd rather see those static NPC's, Bandits, AI improvements, RWG improvements, more in game content, more quests, factions (which I believe is something you've mentioned), and so on. Lots left to do. Lots to improve upon.

And I'm pretty sure lock picks are already a modded thing in some of the Overhauls (at least one).

- - - Updated - - -

As would TFP and most players IMO. There is always going to be 500 "wouldn't it be cool if" features but we need to stay focused on finishing. Not adding another way to skin the cat. Theres 500 ways to break blocks in this game we don't need another. Not that it isn't cool, but confusing wants and needs here.

Will that M60 add a walk speed debuff? I think it should. I see so many games cough *Far Cry* that make their machine guns fully auto sniper rifles that a malnourished 11 yr old can run around with no consequences.

It adds a full emcumbrance to a str 10 character and breaks both legs if a skinny str 1 noob picks it up :) I don't know yet, we're just getting it in but yeah if not a speed debuff a stamina debuff to aim like the others, if not both.

Thanks, I didn't catch those posts. So it's a very small chance that there will be NPC followers, I don't take it as a promise, but chance is still a chance. I wouldn't mind crappy NPC followers as long as they do the trick. Followers made by Bethesda had to be fixed by modders and everyone still loved it. Many things were crappy and then got improved over time. Remember disappearing minibikes? That required a lot of time and patience to fix. We are all patient as long as we know that the good stuff is actually on its way even if it takes its sweet long time to arrive.

I'm pretty sure modders can add followers very easily. Just change their AI in xml on who they target. The thing is we can't ship "crappy followers", but modders can. We need everything to be high quality as possible and there is about 50% of the game that isn't good enough yet, so we have a lot of polishing to do. Time flies so fast too we need to be realistic.

I'm pretty sure modders can add followers very easily. Just change their AI in xml on who they target. The thing is we can't ship "crappy followers", but modders can. We need everything to be high quality as possible and there is about 50% of the game that isn't good enough yet, so we have a lot of polishing to do. Time flies so fast too we need to be realistic.

For that to happen tfp must re add the ai task follow which tfp removed in a17. So yes followers are stupid at the minute lol and just stand there. Sometimes shoot sometimes don't. You can change the ai to target different things but they don't move as we have tested.

Probably not because everyone on a server would want a companion, which would double the expense. Unity's character controllers eat CPU like crazy, so unless we write our own / license the source / pull some amazing optizations out of our butts I don't see it happening. Plus its one thing to make a bandit look good a follower might glitch bad on ladders or getting to player bases. I would say no but maybe down the road. We've hired some amazing guys so I'm starting to see the impossible become a reality which is a great sign. Why not just play MP?

I agree it would be really cool, but I don't know that our small team is up for that with this game. We are working towards it though.

Thank you very much for explanation. Honestly, I used to play online a lot, but I was discouraged by hackers who ruined the game and then I started playing alone in singleplayer and I really enjoy that every time when we get a new major update, but SP does get lonely after some time. Sometimes I play private coop game with my niece, I also got an extra copy of the game which I'd like to give to my other niece if she's interested. Admittedly it's more fun in multiplayer when you play with people who actually don't want to ruin the game, but unfortunately my nieces don't have that much time like they used to have before.

I think those performance issues wouldn't be that much of a problem in these environments like singleplayer or 2-3 coop multiplayer hosted on my pc if we had couple of NPC followers, they would be like couple of extra players, that wouldn't really kill the game, right?

Just an idea, but to counter the performance issue, maybe to convince NPC to follow a real person, the player would have to hire them with duke coins and there would be a limited amount of allowed companions at the same time on the server which could be a server option so that server admins could easily set it up to match the possibilities of their hardware.

Either way, I would love it if your amazing team could do this magic for all of us, I believe you guys could make it happen eventually and I'm sure everyone would love it too not just you or me. You already admitted that when you said "everyone on a server would want a companion". :smile-new:

re: Lockpicking

...it'd be a simple matter of holding an item and if focused on a locked object, having a %chance to unlock it. 3 stages of locked:

Locked - can be picked

Locked - can't be picked

Unlocked

...and quite frankly, the middle one is optional... just make it take time and a lot of noise picking the lock, to prevent people from trying again should it fail.

No sense in worrying about damages. If the lock is in an LCB area, it's unpickable. Dumb, like LCB's are, but whatever, that's part of the game, so needs to be accounted for as well. <Shrug>

I'm pretty sure modders can add followers very easily.

I think they could in A16. (I intended to do exactly that at one point.) But that doesn't seem to work in A17 from what I understand.

That is not a criticism, it's a seque.

One thing that I'd like to see is for TFP to write extensive documentation for modders. Not just comments in XML files, but full video tutorials, technical specs about every XML attribute, etc.

Modders are doing pretty amazing things, but I'm betting they don't know half of the modding possibilities because they're usually working by trial and error.

I realize this isn't a sexy request (especially not when asked of programmers or software architects), but I'd like to at least put it in the back of your mind for when you get close to gold.

Anyway, it's good to see that NPCs are still a topic of discussion, and I'm really hoping they don't end up getting the axe due to time constraints.

Also - I think you're right about the need for lockpicks in the game (or lack thereof), and the books sound pretty cool.

All pretty good reasons. As someone who is hugely in favour of followers, building up colonies and the like, I understand it may just be a "bridge too far" given the engine constraints you have to work with.

Hi guys, it's been a while.

I'm loving a17 so far, harder than learn new things, is forget old mechanics =)

MM, I loved the master chef perk and the new recipes. One reason I play Project Zomboid, it's the amount of foods and recipes, I hope that will be more recipes in the future using canned food.

We'll get a functional microwave or electric stove in the future, so we don't need campfires anymore?

About stelth and diversion gameplay.

I would really like to see this fixed.

O2vJFyg.gif

Beeing able to use decoys should be an option.

I'm finishing up the fixes. Sleepers will now awaken when near an explosion, even if taking no damage. I also fixed a bug with explosions applying reduced damage and often none at all.

With the mention of modders by Madmole, how about introducing real modding support in A18?

Modding support is what allows games to live and thrive long beyond the gold release. And a game that thrives beyond gold release means continued $ stream for TFP for many years after.

Most of the games coming out these days have modding support. I know TFP have done a lot for modding by putting so many configs in XML's, but would be good to take modding support to the next level. -> Integration with Steam Workshop. -> Normal player in game menu that allows player to select mods from Steam workshop.

Lastly, pipe dream here.. XML is the convoluted yuckity yuck..XML is soo 1990's. Switch to json please. Json > XML is not just my personal opinion either. Only XML lover boys are old farts from the 1990's that refuse to come to modern standards. Probably the same guys that prefer to script in batch and perl.

https://www.w3schools.com/js/js_json_xml.asp

Archived