Should plant fiber clothing just be removed?

Vechs

I've started so many new games with this experimental phase, and I've done the starting quest chain so many times now, and I've really been thinking about the plant fiber clothing.

Let's talk about asset rationalization. I assume for consoles, TFP has been crushing down the number of discrete assets in the game, for optimization reasons. Would it hurt the game to just get rid of the plant fiber clothing? You can't craft clothing anymore other than just the plant fiber, so... Yeah.

Proposal:

1) Remove plant fiber clothing from game.

2) Spawn random pants, shoes, and shirt class items in new player inventory.

3) Change starting quest to a) EQUIP A SHIRT SLOT ITEM b) EQUIP A PANTS SLOT ITEM c) EQUIP A SHOE SLOT ITEM

4) Generate journal entry for looting clothing -- it spawns in dressers and washing machines and lockers most frequently.

So this does a few things, as far as I can tell:

1) Makes new players not all look the same.

2) Gets rid of assets from the game.

3) Much less rote grass punching at the very start of the game.

4) Makes dying and respawning naked more challenging. (Unless you default to drop backpack only, which I always use)

5) Gets players more in the proper mindset. The plant fiber stuff had terrible stats anyway, if it's hot or cold you would still get hot or cold even with the plant fiber clothing. You really needed actually looted clothing, so why not communicate to new players that that is what they should be going for?

What you guys think?

Making those items is a sort of tutorial on crafting.

Really important for new players.

On the other hand.... frees up assets.

Hmm..... not decided on this one.

Right, it's teaching the players to craft clothing... except that dead-ends at plant fiber clothing. I mean, there's what, the cloth bandanna I think?

That may be doing new players a disservice -- wouldn't they be better off hitting up the nearest house POI and rummaging through the dressers and washing machine? That's a lot of time spent punching grass all over again for just a few points of insulation that won't actually save you in desert or snow biomes. So I'm just left thinking, what is the point of it?

They are still required to craft a stone axe, bedroll, camp fire, club, bow, arrows, and wood frames and place them. Surely that's enough crafting tutorial yeah?

Right, it's teaching the players to craft clothing... except that dead-ends at plant fiber clothing. I mean, there's what, the cloth bandanna I think?

That may be doing new players a disservice -- wouldn't they be better off hitting up the nearest house POI and rummaging through the dressers and washing machine? That's a lot of time spent punching grass all over again for just a few points of insulation that won't actually save you in desert or snow biomes. So I'm just left thinking, what is the point of it?

They are still required to craft a stone axe, bedroll, camp fire, club, bow, arrows, and wood frames and place them. Surely that's enough crafting tutorial yeah?

Yup.

You make a good point here.

I would be fine either way.

If TFP got rid of fibre clothing and freed up some assets I'd be okay with it.

Wouldn't miss them one bit.

If they decide to keep them for ..... reasons... I'd be okay with that too I guess.

If they were removed, I don't think I would care too much, but I would care. I think the whole freeing up assets thing is not a good argument though. It's like 5 items and not very significant. If anything, they should add more transition from primitive to modern, especially if they want to keep attempting a longer early game.

I'm also not a fan of dumbing down this game any further. A lot of developers are coming out with some great, cutting edge ideas in the survival genre, with intuitive mechanics, immersive experiences, and they top it all off with excellent graphics (in models, textures, and lighting). They are not having assets issues preventing them from doing these things.... but here, when people have ideas for things that might take some work and out of the box creative thought, people start claiming that 7D2D doesn't have the resources available to squeeze it in. It is said so much here, that I wouldn't doubt that the developers themselves believe it and in turn, doubt their ability to try.

Everything we eat shows a chunk of I don't know what in our hands for crying out loud. Bacon and eggs? Nope, just a chunk of lard I guess. We can't even be bothered to take the lid off of jars to drink from them, and no, I don't think getting rid of plant fiber clothing will mean that we can finally twist off the cap before taking a sip.

One of the things least lacking in a post apocalyptic world are old clothes.

They should be found in any residential building in masses.

The player should just start out in simple street clothes without much protection.

The player should craft other things, than plant-fiber clothes. There are enough crafting tasks in the beginning of the game to teach the mechanic.

Making those items is a sort of tutorial on crafting.

Really important for new players.

On the other hand.... frees up assets.

Hmm..... not decided on this one.

Anyone else notice that plant fiber clothing is actually better than some of the quality 1 or 2 armor you find? I think that needs to be adjusted.

I can't really disagree with your premise but it's not something that ever occurred to me so not sure if I see it as a problem or not.

If the game is truly limited by assets I suppose clothing slots could be used for something else but it would be a very low priority to me relative to other things.

Tbh, tfp just should list an offical counter of how many IDs are taken and how many are in total to use, that way everyone with suggestions would know if there is any need for removal of some pointless items, merging items or adding new items. Also this is first game that ever encountered with limit to how much stuff it can have (or atleast had prolbem with it). Realy wish they would somehow increase/remove the limit bcs variety is a great thing in survival games or games in general. (just please no 50 types of dirt, stones and whatever like starbound does)

I've started so many new games with this experimental phase, and I've done the starting quest chain so many times now, and I've really been thinking about the plant fiber clothing.

Let's talk about asset rationalization. I assume for consoles, TFP has been crushing down the number of discrete assets in the game, for optimization reasons. Would it hurt the game to just get rid of the plant fiber clothing? You can't craft clothing anymore other than just the plant fiber, so... Yeah.

Proposal:

1) Remove plant fiber clothing from game.

2) Spawn random pants, shoes, and shirt class items in new player inventory.

3) Change starting quest to a) EQUIP A SHIRT SLOT ITEM b) EQUIP A PANTS SLOT ITEM c) EQUIP A SHOE SLOT ITEM

4) Generate journal entry for looting clothing -- it spawns in dressers and washing machines and lockers most frequently.

So this does a few things, as far as I can tell:

1) Makes new players not all look the same.

2) Gets rid of assets from the game.

3) Much less rote grass punching at the very start of the game.

4) Makes dying and respawning naked more challenging. (Unless you default to drop backpack only, which I always use)

5) Gets players more in the proper mindset. The plant fiber stuff had terrible stats anyway, if it's hot or cold you would still get hot or cold even with the plant fiber clothing. You really needed actually looted clothing, so why not communicate to new players that that is what they should be going for?

What you guys think?

My question is why does plant fiber clothes have better stats than most basic clothes like shirts,skirts,tanktops,etc.

Or they can allow us to pick a starting role like police officer.Kinda like how project zomboid does it.

Anyone else notice that plant fiber clothing is actually better than some of the quality 1 or 2 armor you find? I think that needs to be adjusted.

Better yet, make a mini boss who's attack can only be blocked with fiber clothing.

That wouldn't upset anyone on the forums at all.

aGTDFXE.gif

The need to remove the starting quest altogether. It's fine if you want to have a checkbox tutorial, but its annoying as hell to be told to make wood frames when you don't need wood frames, and a campfire when you don't need it. You either have to waste resources or have the stupid quest box on your screen until you do. On top of that, the 'tutorial' doesn't even give good advice, it just wastes time which is scarce on day 1.

Archived