ability to Dig down for zombies. WHY

lizzyroo

You do know the game is already Unrealistic enough. When Zombies can punch at buildings and rocks and break it. WHICH would be Physically impossible to do. WHICH really needs to be fixed so they can not break that stuff. But, Not the ability to dig down, which again would be Physically impossible to do. WHY, Just WHY. I mean No need to have them do this stuff at all. It needs to be fixed. Also already bad enough, that Headshots do not kill zombies instantly which should be Fixed. 1 headshot 1 kill.

I agree with the OP that zombies should not be able to dig down to the player. I would agree that zombies should be able to destroy wooden structures as that would be realistic but not able to easily destroy / if at all a cement or steel wall.

Hopefully this is something that can easily be modded or changed in the XML.

Wow...I've never really though about this. On the one hand it's unrealistic and immersion-breaking to have zombies digging through solid rock, but on the other hand it's necessary for play-balance in a survival-type game, but on the other hand since this is in fact an open-ended game (i.e. not a puzzle, or story-drive game), shouldn't players be able to enjoy it in whichever way they choose? On the other hand if you don't have some standards laid out in a core game, then comparison between experiences becomes impossible.

I'm pretty amazed that nobody's EVER brought up this issue before. It profoundly impacts the very soul of 7D2D.

:congratulatory:

-Morloc

Because it's a game, not a real life simulator. Everything about the game is unrealistic, including the fact there are zombie in the first place. If you want to avoid zombies, then simply turn them off, or play Rust instead if it's just pvp you want.

What do you mean it’s unrealistic? Every day we see real zombies digging down to get to people, to make them suffer and destroy them, waist their much needed resources and safety

Oh wait, sorry about that I thought we were talking about governments and their members

My bad

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and in mine I don't want to avoid zombies or make them easier to kill but like I said maybe zombies should simply not be able to dig down to the bedrock or destroy certain elements, after all they are zombies that should not be able to destroy any objects, as they are NOT terminators.

Simply having this as a mod or option should not impact other people and their preferences and both sides are happy.

I'm going to regret this, but why the hell not. A simple drop of water over time can erode rock. Granted this takes 1000's if not millions of years to happen. Now with that said you have remember a zombie is a barely thinking hungry creature ( think a black Friday shopper or someone getting the largest iPhone). Zombies don't feel, don't quit . A group bashing on the same spot over and over again without care. I can see something breaking easily. The samething can be said for digging. If they sense you, why is it a stretch for them to dig down or endlessly bash stone to get you?

you bedrock dwelling rats.

It's MOLE PEOPLE, get it right! :smile-new:

RP: the zombies are the product of a radiation outbreak that tore much of the world asunder. This "radiation" caused the zombies to become slightly more superhuman; sense the living as well as increase their strength. This radiation is more prominent in some zombies than others, but they all exhibit those two traits.

non-RP: you could also remove their ability to dig through the xml i'm sure as well as reduce their block damage. (which I plan on doing once I get my hands on the new files)

- - - Updated - - -

to add to my post. I'm glad the pimps gave them the ability to dig. It's gonna make surviving more interesting.

Hubby and I are Molemen and I have watched the game have some digging and am actually looking forward to digging zombies. Crawlers and dogs are on the ground, why shouldnt they attack down if their AI shows that is a path to the player. Is it going o be a pain in the butt to make n underground base, yes, but not game breaking. Just plan more carefully

Wow...I've never really though about this. On the one hand it's unrealistic and immersion-breaking to have zombies digging through solid rock, but on the other hand it's necessary for play-balance in a survival-type game, but on the other hand since this is in fact an open-ended game (i.e. not a puzzle, or story-drive game), shouldn't players be able to enjoy it in whichever way they choose? On the other hand if you don't have some standards laid out in a core game, then comparison between experiences becomes impossible.

I'm pretty amazed that nobody's EVER brought up this issue before. It profoundly impacts the very soul of 7D2D.

:congratulatory:

-Morloc

tenor.gif

Because it's a game, not a real life simulator. Everything about the game is unrealistic, including the fact there are zombie in the first place. If you want to avoid zombies, then simply turn them off, or play Rust instead if it's just pvp you want.

Tons of things about the game are realistic, compared to real life. But "realism" in video games is not about the game being realistic to RL, it's about the game being realistic to its own universe/lore. For example - the game takes place on an earth-like place with physics, the player is a human obeying to some rules etc, and beyond that point the level of realism can differ like - the player also has human-like needs etc.

--------------------

Sometimes realism can complement gameplay, sometimes it hinders it. For example if zombies couldn't break blocks, or if weight was similar to RL weight, parts of gameplay would become meaningless. Realism in the case of hunger/diseases/pseudo-weight/structural integrity etc can complement gameplay without destroying it.

In general, this game contains a lot of genres. Using common sense, one can tell how to make all of these elements work together and one can tell where realism can offer something to gameplay or harm it, independently from tastes.

Moral of the story - use common sense!

tenor.gif

lol :D

and about the digging zombies:

I would rather have different underground threats (no airflow, needing ventilation powered with electronics or special wormzombies that will burrow through the walls or something) but as that is currently not on the priority list of TFPs, digging zombies is the only way for people to actually feel threatened by zombies.

But as Murloc said:

"I'm pretty amazed that nobody's EVER brought up this issue before. It profoundly impacts the very soul of 7D2D."

Just for kicks in A15 I removed the AI Tasks of destroy doors and destroy blocks. On horde night they just pressed up against the walls of my base and I was perfectly safe. Not a single one beat against the wall. The next morning I went outside and easily killed them all as walkers. One time I was surrounded but I just nerdpoled straight up five blocks and was safe.

It was super boring.

Zombies in this universe can destroy wood, rock, and concrete and as such it makes perfect sense that they can destroy dirt, gravel, and rock. A17 is more consistent than A16 for zombie abilities and the game is far more interesting and challenging. Maybe you'll be able to remove their task to destroy blocks in A17 but you'll have to look for that as I'm not interested enough in that kind of mod to make the effort.

Because its a game with ZOMBIES.

Its not realistic.

Its also SPECIFICALLY to flush you out to the surface to actually participate in blood moon hordes, you bedrock dwelling rats.

I'm still going to make my main base underground as I hate having to bother with the SI system. But I will build a seperate base a ways away from my main base above ground to fight hordes. Underground base still works fine in a17 for anything other than horde night.

Just for kicks in A15 I removed the AI Tasks of destroy doors and destroy blocks. On horde night they just pressed up against the walls of my base and I was perfectly safe. Not a single one beat against the wall. The next morning I went outside and easily killed them all as walkers. One time I was surrounded but I just nerdpoled straight up five blocks and was safe.

It was super boring.

Zombies in this universe can destroy wood, rock, and concrete and as such it makes perfect sense that they can destroy dirt, gravel, and rock. A17 is more consistent than A16 for zombie abilities and the game is far more interesting and challenging. Maybe you'll be able to remove their task to destroy blocks in A17 but you'll have to look for that as I'm not interested enough in that kind of mod to make the effort.

On horde night i'll prob still not bother with them, even moreso in a17 due to the lack of loot, I think the loot drops need to be upped considerably, to maybe 1 in every 5-10 zombies or so. Some streamers went 80 kills without a single drop. I mean in some zombie movies if they got time they sometimes check the zombies to see if they got anything. The lack of loot is really the only issue I have with a17 so far from what I seen. It did need a reduction, but not this much of one. Maybe set loot drop chance to 25% chance per zombie?

for realism we could have thousands of dogs per city, right? :)

I just hope TFP doesn't take a step back because of similar complaints.

I hope they don't either, people just need to adjust and adapt to the new way the game has to be played, its not nearly as bad as they make on it is. There are lots of loop holes around things: for tools check a trader, forge? check poi's/traders as its easy to learn which ones can spawn working forges. Now if we didn't have the trader then i'd probally say something about no forge till 20 :p. having to get the forge book back in a15 didn't bother me, because all tools harvested the same amount of materials, its just they could get them faster, this changed in a16, when they were tiered. You wanna get to steel asap to get the high mat amounts, again though, trader is your best friend. My first few days in any 7dtd game I start in a16 usually involves me living around the trader for a few days to build up funds, buy what I need, then find a new trader if the one I am at doesn't have the station I need.

I don't like the idea of trying to force anyone into a particular play style. People play the game for many reasons and nobody's choosen play style is any business or any concern of anyone else. If some people want to avoid hoard night, that is their prerogative and anyone trying to dictate how someone else plays the game is just a meddling ahole. How about you play your way and they can play theirs?

Personally, I enjoy hoard night and create special bases just for that. My main base is always at bedrock though and I don't want to waste my game time doing repairs... ever. I don't care what they implement, any creative, experienced player will be able to work around it to make their base a safe haven.

If that was not the case, I would quit playing this game. A random gen map is big and I usually have 3 or 4 main bases on it as well as a dozen outposts by endgame. For me, this is a game of exploration, building and general all around fun, repairing bases is not my idea of fun nor is it something I want to waste one min of my valuable (read: limited) gaming time doing.

The loot is set as a percentage that is visible in the xml files. Default is 2%.

But it is literally a matter of changing the number if you want more so Inreally don’t think people should worry much over it.

When the change was first implemented zombie loot drops were broken so there was zero loot. I got used to it after a week and honestly it has made the game a lot better. Now that the loot drops work I feel great when it rarely happens and the loot is always good useful stuff.

Go ahead and and change the percent to 25% but I think you’ll find it too easy and start adjusting it downward. Maybe you’ll settle at 10% but even that might result in too much stuff.

I don't like the idea of trying to force anyone into a particular play style. People play the game for many reasons and nobody's choosen play style is any business or any concern of anyone else. If some people want to avoid hoard night, that is their prerogative and anyone trying to dictate how someone else plays the game is just a meddling ahole. How about you play your way and they can play theirs?

Personally, I enjoy hoard night and create special bases just for that. My main base is always at bedrock though and I don't want to waste my game time doing repairs... ever. I don't care what they implement, any creative, experienced player will be able to work around it to make their base a safe haven.

If that was not the case, I would quit playing this game. A random gen map is big and I usually have 3 or 4 main bases on it as well as a dozen outposts by endgame. For me, this is a game of exploration, building and general all around fun, repairing bases is not my idea of fun nor is it something I want to waste one min of my valuable (read: limited) gaming time doing.

Creative mode may suit you better if exploration and building is only what you like and if you want the occasional zombie when you feel like, with cheat mode or some simple xml edits you would never have to repair again and be safe at any time you want. If one has a flying playstyle, that too can be accommodated.

The game's normal mode, as mentioned in the game's description, isn't a pure sandbox to allow players complete freedom. Like any other game out there, it is a ruleset, and like any other ruleset it "forces" players into a limited range of playstyles inside its framework.

Archived