PVP- base griefing

Ld-airgrafix

I prefer PVP servers, mainly because of that extra danger, even though Im not a pvp player. However my last server experience left a very sour feeling for this game.

Played for few weeks on that server, got a very high level character (probably highest ever), but then my base got raided while I was offline. Which isn't the problem, but they destroyed everything, everything was gone, from loot boxes, crafting tables, forges etc. and I basically would have to restart everything. I mean these guys weren't only after my loot, they wanted me completely destroyed. I really think this is a bad sportsmanship, it drives players away from the server and possibly the game.

I have nothing against base looting, but destroying things like walls and floors, things that do absolutely nothing , just to spite the player, is wrong.

Yup. Have been advocating for landclaims to protect your base (while offline) 100% for a limited time... but that just keeps getting ignored.

And sadly, those griefers are only out to harm others.

I only play pvp... and I only build underground bases at the edge of the map, of which i close the hole with dirt, just so I dont get raided anymore.

Its sad but true. As long as TFPs think there is no PvP community, they wont change anything, even if its just the standart setting for offline landclaims. Sad.

I wish they would do some kind of judgement time like LiF does. server can set a day and time for when base raiding is activated so people can actually be online for fun pvp battles instead of all the " wait till they are offline to raid " crap that goes on. It just leads to everybody building underground most of the time and that gets boring.

Wtf? you choose to play pvp and then complain about it when you get raided? i don't get it

they are destroying your base because they should, any smart pvp player will do this against competition. And no they don't need to add offline base protection we are lucky that we even get claim blocks.

Other games suffer by this too

Other Devs ignore this issue too

(But to be fair, i never percived this as a really big issue in 7D2D)

2 Workrarrounds

Join a Server with enforced rules that deny this

Make backup bases so that you can loose 1-3 without beeing grounded

Forget the idea to change the mind of griefing players, they mostly dont even understand what we talk about.

(But to be fair, i never percived this as a really big issue in 7D2D)

2 Workrarrounds

Join a Server with enforced rules that deny this

Make backup bases so that you can loose 1-3 without beeing grounded

Forget the idea to change the mind of griefing players, they mostly dont even understand what we talk about.

I was going to suggest the same 2 solutions, but u preceded me :)

Hell, I wouldn't even mind base griefing, if building wasn't such a grind (especially for PvP bases that need that lil extra in materials).

Unless you have some no griefing rules enforced on the server you can only go the sneaky way and build small and hidden as Victoriusiii already pointed out. And have lots of stashes. Actually stashes is something you should have no matter what the setting is. Stashes are better than bases as they are least detectable via the various ways to look underground. (Another problem that's still not solved..)

But even when you have such rules it's still not optimal. Devil's advocate mode engaged:

The PvP server I use to play on most the time has the rule of "Don't destroy more than neccessary to get to the loot".

Sounds reasonable, right? Problem with this is there are base builds that become unraidable with such a rule in place (Hollow towers, only accessible by owner/ally nerdpoling up. A raider could only carve a way up into the walls themselves and therefore easily would fall under the griefing rule as soon as they risk the tower's SI.) and that in turn kinda sucks for raiders (not griefers) too. Raiding, especially offline raiding is TERRIBLY boring, you really have to be into that bull♥♥♥♥. Definitely no fun if you have no means to get the loot at all.

Yeah, the system is anything but perfect.

Where are the "It's not meant to be a PvP game" posts, btw? Those usually pop up fast in a thread like this one :D

Me and 2 friends once made a huge underground base, even with luxury like swimming pool and a bar. They not only broke in, took every single piece of loot and destroyed everything not made of reinforced concrete, they also filled up every single space with rocks, but left our bedrolls alone. We spawned in our rooms and couldn´t even move one block.

As long as there isn´t a balanced seperated PvP mode, PvP is just crap. Even on servers with rules. There aren´t really servers with admins online 24/7.

Me and 2 friends once made a huge underground base, even with luxury like swimming pool and a bar. They not only broke in, took every single piece of loot and destroyed everything not made of reinforced concrete, they also filled up every single space with rocks, but left our bedrolls alone. We spawned in our rooms and couldn´t even move one block.

As long as there isn´t a balanced seperated PvP mode, PvP is just crap. Even on servers with rules. There aren´t really servers with admins online 24/7.

That scenario sounds like either you guys didn't claim the place properly (aka hid multiple claims well and placed them in randomized patterns), or they were simply hackers – how else were they able to place blocks..

Ah yes. Hackers. The cancer of any online game. Competitive or not. *sigh*

It would seem any solution would have to be server side. Or else, if the developers did try to address the issue on their end, players would have to accept a mode where a whole lot of the sand is taken out of the sandbox. Among server side solutions, Drunkwolf’s is probably the best I’ve heard:

server can set a day and time for when base raiding is activated so people can actually be online for fun pvp battles instead of all the " wait till they are offline to raid " crap that goes on. It just leads to everybody building underground most of the time and that gets boring.

@Kam R. I can´t really recall, it was a while ago already. Wasn´t there a time where the claim blocks couldn´t be crafted? Point is that they didn´t just ruin our base, they made it impossible for us to even get out and continue the game on that server. We were at befdrock, no way we could get out anymore. That mindset is simply disgusting.

Its part of the genre.

If you play on pvp server in a game with destructibles, expect to have your stuff destroyed while you're away 100% of the time.

That's how this genre works.

That's why I am not playing any kind of pvp in building games and avoid any kind of public servers - its just not worth it if you want to build.

Need additional thrills?

Install some mods to spike up things.

@Kam R. I can´t really recall, it was a while ago already. Wasn´t there a time where the claim blocks couldn´t be crafted? Point is that they didn´t just ruin our base, they made it impossible for us to even get out and continue the game on that server. We were at befdrock, no way we could get out anymore. That mindset is simply disgusting.

This is exactly what im talking about, players like these arent just out to loot you and set you back, they are there to completely destroy you to the point you just quit. I had multiple claim blocks as a back up, they wasted their time destroying unnecessary blocks, just to spite me.

Theres nothing devs can do about this, and this thread isnt about me trying to change the game to suit me. Pvp and base looting should be a part of it, but players like these arent doing any favours to the game, or the server hosts.

Yup. Have been advocating for landclaims to protect your base (while offline) 100% for a limited time... but that just keeps getting ignored.

And sadly, those griefers are only out to harm others.

I only play pvp... and I only build underground bases at the edge of the map, of which i close the hole with dirt, just so I dont get raided anymore.

Its sad but true. As long as TFPs think there is no PvP community, they wont change anything, even if its just the standart setting for offline landclaims. Sad.

1. This can already be done on a dedicated server via the LCB configuration settings. No mod required.

2. TFP doesn't think that there is no PvP community. They did not design this as a PvP game. You guys may be getting some balance to PvP after the game is released, but it's not something they care about. The PvP in the game currently is a result of a bug, that was left and modified some because they saw there was a desire for the players. They have no reason to put much effort into it though, as this is not sold as a PvP game. It's sold as a co-op game.

This kind of thing is why I do NOT do PvP, and why when I so run a server, I turn that OFF.

Some think that kind of thing is fun. Well, I don't so I don't do it, or allow it in my games.

Others can do what they wish.

(and yes, PvP is an afterthought for this game, has been stated repeatedly that it's a very low priority right now)

(even if there ARE achievements for PvP.)

Not much effort is required to make a simple "justice" system that will vastly improve PvP, as it has been described in the past by many people, as was used by many games in the past, as the one that will be used by F76. As a 99% PvE player, that alone, would make me enjoy PvP servers.

If their idea of PvP (judging by Gazz's posts on it), is to create an unrealistic arena-like environment with custom progression rate and perfectly equal chances for everyone (s/ because pubg-style pvp is the only way in which pvp can exist /s), dumping down every other aspect of the game that actually made it popular, then I'd rather stick to PvE.

Guys, with enough concrete and enough LCBs, nobody will grief your base ;)

you obviously have never played on PvP servers xD they dont care about landclaim blocks. if you dont have fully upgraded shiny steel, your base can get raided within 2-4 hours depending on your level of defenses.

#

1. This can already be done on a dedicated server via the LCB configuration settings. No mod required.

Yea but its not the STANDART. And if you change the standart it gets moved to modding (or at least it was for the longstes time) which is why most admins are very hesitant to change them.

There is LITERALLY no benefit to having offlineraids active. It only encourages bad behaviour, satisfies trolls and ♥♥♥♥s and drives legitamate PvP players away from the game.

Its just this one single change:

Offline Claimblock health x infinity

duration 3 days

put this as the standart and this problem is solved.

It takes LITERALLY nothing more then 10 minutes, probably even less.

you obviously have never played on PvP servers xD they dont care about landclaim blocks. if you dont have fully upgraded shiny steel, your base can get raided within 2-4 hours depending on your level of defenses.

LMAO I mainly play pvp.

Think about my words for a second. "with enough concrete and enough LCBs, nobody will grief your base"...

TFPs think there is no PvP community, they wont change anything, even if its just the standart setting for offline landclaims. Sad.

#1 TFP know about the PvP community.

Madmole mentioned that focusing on PvP is such a large project that:

a) "...it will take the whole team."

b) "...it will probably be the last thing we work on before release."

#2 Stardart isn't a word

It's spelled Standard. <--- That's a "d" at the end there. :cocksure:

Its just this one single change:

Offline Claimblock health x infinity

duration 3 days

put this as the standart and this problem is solved.

It takes LITERALLY nothing more then 10 minutes, probably even less.

Agreed.

This is a good solution [for now].

Takes very little time to add that in.

It should be default so servers don't go to modded category.

@Kam R. I can´t really recall, it was a while ago already. Wasn´t there a time where the claim blocks couldn´t be crafted? Point is that they didn´t just ruin our base, they made it impossible for us to even get out (...)

I don't know the history of the claim block's functionality, was going by how they currently work and assumed you either had security gaps, or if you had no security gaps it could only have been hackers as claims should prevent enemies from stuffing you place with stone normally. Or one other possibility could have been that you were not online for a while and the claims went inactive depending on the server settings as to how long they stay active.

Trying to get the devs to adress the griefing issue can only go as far as putting some decent options for protection in place. Some already are. Here's another idea I just had regarding the issue:

I wonder if we could get a system in place where claim blocks give full protection against player damage on blocks in general, but only partial protection for passageways and containers?

Passageways would either be obviously doors and hatches, but also a randomly chosen section of a room's wall if the room is built as a complete enclosure without doors or hatches.

Would prolly be too complicated/ resource intensive to calculate, but would definitely alleviate the griefing issue. (As long as they don't hack the server right away)

Also I see no point in even arguing about or adressing griefers themselves. You can make it as hard for them as possible to do their cancerous bull♥♥♥♥ with game mechanics in place, but that sort of garbage players will always have to be dealt with by an active server staff, I think. Doesn't even matter what game we're talking about in that regard.

Archived