EMOJIGATE!!!!!!!

Roland

The issue is that Roland is "Troland" and trolling an already upset and impatient community. It's one thing to not give a definitive date, but add on top of what is essentially teasing is just making the community upset. Roland can't do anything to speed up the game, but his teasing with emojis and such does wear down the community quite a bit, especially in the wake of TellTale shutting down. But it's ok though. it's because he is "Troland", so it's ok that is he obviously upsetting a good portion of the community because he and others are having fun and it's just trolling.

I don't care that he does it, but I do care that he does it when people are already upset about it, which is pretty obvious today with people speaking out. It was fun for a bit, but he took it past the point where it was fun for people.

I would rather see 7D2D end an alpha with the vast majority of it's alpha player base not leaving pissed off feedback that affects the sales and longevity of the game.

Fun yes. Irresponsible? No.

You could go gold with an Alpha player base tone of: "There were a lot of bumps along the way, but TFP really gave a crap about the game and it's players! Ended up with an awesome game! TFP rocks!"

You could go gold with an Alpha player base tone of: "There were a lot of bumps along the way, but TFP didn't really give a damn. They did what they wanted and even their moderators made fun of their player base as a whole. Save the die hard fanboys and girls who were just as trollish. We got a decent game, but don't expect TFP to give a damn."

Which way do you think the whole Emoji and the amusement towards how people took it is going to go in these scenarios?

How do you think one scenario will sell as opposed to the other scenario?

If you've not seen game companies, or any company, tank because of public perception, you've got yer head in the sand friend.

Anyone that uses the emoji's as a reason to bad mouth the game WILL find a reason regardless. You can't make those type of people happy so there is no reason to spend any effort trying.

Here's a post about the Emojis too.

I'm posting about emojis.

Now...

In about 15-60 minutes, no one will ever see this post again.

The whole thing was stupid from the start. And it's just becoming more obvious now.

- - - Updated - - -

Is this a good time to bring up perlin worm caves?

Loled my ass off at that. Well played...

/Clapclap

I actually agree with most of this, @Jackelmyer. My issue with it isn't that I feel I need to defend the emoji thing itself -- people are entitled to think it's fun, or stupid, or pointless, or whatever. That's perfectly legit. But when the person who started it made it clear from the beginning that there was no intention of "encoding" the emojis with secret messages...and people still decided that's what MUST BE GOING ON...then it's not on Roland. It's on the people who have chosen not to pay attention.

The truth of the emojis WAS communicated. It was an opportunity to have some fun, break up a bit of forum monotony, and have a laugh. There's nothing unprofessional about that. There's nothing unprofessional about Roland DOING it. It was a goof, it was stated as a goof from the outset, and people took it somewhere it NEVER should have gone. That's not unprofessional of Roland or TFP. It's childishness on the part of the people throwing the fit, and that's not something that TFP are responsible for.

See, I would agree if Roland's emoji statement was visible for people that started checking this post out for example 2 weeks AFTER he posted it.

I personally never saw his statement anywhere so I was one of those people that was not aware it had no correlation to if it was actually closer to release or not. As I said earlier, it is not uncommon for companies to put hints out for either new releases or future content in general so you cannot blame people for putting a link between the emoji and the state of A17.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad at Roland or anybody but I do think that if they wanted to prevent this drama, it should've been a message in the poll area stating the emoji's had nothing to do with it.

Or you know, just don't mess around in that info section which is actively looked at by thousands per day to prevent future ♥♥♥♥storms.

So lots of us visit this forum ever day.

Roland decides to have some fun with the emojis, to spice things up.

Then Roland gets lots of crap about it, because of "insert stupidity".

There is just no winning. Good thing I'm not staff or mod, so I can just ignore it.

Join me Xandyr78 ;)

Not a bad plan. LOL. If only I could turn off my "YOUR LOGIC...ISN'T" filter.

Anyone that uses the emoji's as a reason to bad mouth the game WILL find a reason regardless. You can't make those type of people happy so there is no reason to spend any effort trying.

I really want to agree with you... There's fairness in your statement. However... With so much fever for A17 to come out, the Emojis, especially with icons that one could pretty easily tie to bugs, that decremented over time, who's "fun" meaning was lost in pages upon pages of thread conversation, just isn't smart IMO.

Case in point: Without the Emojis, none of this complaining would have happen, over... the emojis. And we'd all have found some other fun stupid thing to goof off about here.

There's still some whining about a release date here and there. But once TFP clamped down on "It's done when it's done", that dramatically dwindled.

Adding reasons for people to be pissed just isn't a helpful game plan. *shrug*

And to be honest, yeah, I got caught by the Emojis thing myself. And fine, it was meaningless. *shrug*. Games still done when it's done.

Only reason I'm still arguing the whole bit is I get annoyed by trolling and stupid behavioral choices getting the posture of "Screw you for being stupid".

It's malicious, elitest, and just plain rude.

Oh, for pity's sake.

GET.

OVER.

YOURSELVES.

Not a single reason to NOT complain? There are PLENTY of reasons to NOT complain:

1) The game is obviously in-progress. We keep seeing updates and info every few days. Screenshots, developer comments, Joel's tweets.

2) The Devs DO communicate, when they need to. RIGHT NOW, however, is crunch-time for A17, so NO, I'd rather they DIDN'T lurk in forums. I'd rather they DEVELOP THE GAME.

3) The improvements shown are ACTUAL IMPROVEMENTS. Better graphics, deeper skill system, vehicles, new and better POIs...you name it.

There's a few. There are more.

"Communication through emojis are OK to me" immediately followed by "but god, you have no idea how much i hate making stupid emojis connected to something secret and teasing people to death." -- I don't think you understand what "Ok to me" means, if this is your argument.

Corollary to that: it was stated at the very outset of those emojis showing up that THEY HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE COMMUNICATION OF THE DEVS. It was a random exercise in goofiness and trolling that Roland engaged. No hidden messages, no 'teasers' involved. Yet STILL you people insist on lambasting both the devs and the mods as if they somehow have done something wrong.

Again, are you willfully ignorant, or just woefully stupid? I'm not asking that of you, individually, Flat0ut...but of all the people who REFUSE to actually pay attention to what is SAID by the people in charge here, and instead just insert their own preconceptions into the mix and treat them as unassailable truth.

"Blackmail"? "Torture"? Stop with the histrionics and hyperbole. Neither of those things are happening here, and it just makes you sound...childish. Or uninformed. Or both.

Their treatment of their fanbase?? HOW are they mistreating their fanbase? Also, the Pimps themselves had NOTHING TO DO with the emojis. Roland was having a bit of creative fun just playing with the emojis....and you people just LOSE YOUR MINDS over it because you DECIDED there must be a secret meaning in what he was doing. Why did he make them in the first place? BECAUSE IT WAS FUNNY. And people with an actual sense of humor picked up on it, and some even played along by creating a narrative for the different emoji lines.

THIS. IS. NOT. MISTREATMENT.

Sweet mother of GOD, maybe it's the fact that I'm 40 years old and I've actually had to live a life outside of whinging about Early Access games "taking too long" (when there's no guarantee that they'll EVER EVEN CHANGE), or people's random fun on forums, or trying to shame a group of developers for having the FREAKING DEDICATION TO THEIR PRODUCT that means they don't just spew out something that's not their best effort just to shut the mouths of the self-entitled whiners who seem to think that the world revolves around their happiness...but I really, REALLY find this whole spiel of y'all's worthless.

Oh god HOW nice from you. Covering everybody you can.

As you could see this is OFFICIAL DEVELOPER DIARY.

I dont think it is relevant to post something as "troll messages". This is developer diary and diaries are usually used to say what happened in life (in this case development) time. What is serious or not is none of my concerns. All i was looking for was the progress, not some ♥♥♥♥ing emojis and ransom trollposts.

See, I would agree if Roland's emoji statement was visible for people that started checking this post out for example 2 weeks AFTER he posted it.

I personally never saw his statement anywhere so I was one of those people that was not aware it had no correlation to if it was actually closer to release or not. As I said earlier, it is not uncommon for companies to put hints out for either new releases or future content in general so you cannot blame people for putting a link between the emoji and the state of A17.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad at Roland or anybody but I do think that if they wanted to prevent this drama, it should've been a message in the poll area stating the emoji's had nothing to do with it.

Or you know, just don't mess around in that info section which is actively looked at by thousands per day to prevent future ♥♥♥♥storms.

This is valid. A statement on the front page would have been good, but it's not demanded. Then there's the fact that it kept getting re-asked, and re-addressed every couple of pages in this exact forum. It's not as though people had to go actively digging to find out that they weren't a secret code.

I dont think it is relevant to post something as "troll messages". This is developer diary and diaries are usually used to say what happened in life (in this case development) time. What is serious or not is none of my concerns. All i was looking for was the progress, not some ♥♥♥♥ing emojis and ransom trollposts.

*Hugs* Bro

:) i do some lite programming my self so i now how hard bug fixing can be but still I really like watching progress. Even if its like "Been working on bug X52353 (player's head keeps disipearing) have not found the cause yet" i mean why cant we konw what bugs there working on?

That's exactly what faatal has been doing. "I found such-and-such bug and I solved it like this." Compelling the other devs to do that doesn't exactly make sense, and making them report such specifics to somebody who shares that for them also doesn't make sense.

I guess the answer to your question is "free will."

Not a bad plan. LOL. If only I could turn off my "YOUR LOGIC...ISN'T" filter.

I love that, and you totally hit the nail on the head. It isn't, not even in some crazy stretch of the word.

Case in point: Without the Emojis, none of this complaining would have happen, over... the emojis. And we'd all have found some other fun stupid thing to goof off about here.

Except they complained about the health bar and the explanation given afterward and the revised wording of the explanation given after that...

Keyword: "usually."

Ultimately, this forum and its "diary" are used for whatever the Pimps and their staff decided that they want to use it for. There's enough off-topic stuff left in here that I'd imagine that should be somewhat obvious.

Making some basic generalisation about what a diary is for isn't an argument. And I'm not here to argue, anyway. I'm just tired of all the hyperbole and the mudslinging at the Pimps and the forum mods here. You threw out words like "blackmail" and "torture" and hyper-emotional, angry ranting about how wrong people were to do what they did. I responded to your points.

Your snark and hand-waving of my post pretty much sums up whether or not my criticism was valid.

And yes, I covered everyone I could...because I don't tend to LIKE singling out individuals and attacking them personally.

This is valid. A statement on the front page would have been good, but it's not demanded. Then there's the fact that it kept getting re-asked, and re-addressed every couple of pages in this exact forum. It's not as though people had to go actively digging to find out that they weren't a secret code.

You're just Roland's side account aren't you? lol

And the fact that it was asked, re-asked, re-addressed every couple of pages, probably should have been a clue: People aren't seeing all the asks, re-asks, re-addresses, or initial explanation. So yeah... Kinda was a secret code. Way to kill your own point.

You're just Roland's side account aren't you? lol

And the fact that it was asked, re-asked, re-addressed every couple of pages, probably should have been a clue: People aren't seeing all the asks, re-asks, re-addresses, or initial explanation. So yeah... Kinda was a secret code. Way to kill your own point.

*sigh*

Not saying that the mods couldn't have addressed it better. I admitted that they could have.

The difference is that I also expect people to take a bit of responsibility for themselves. I often go back and read previous pages and posts because I want to see comments and such in context; I'm sure there are many others who do the same. I've learned a lot, and I've skipped having to ask questions about things at certain points because the question I would have asked was asked by someone else a few pages prior.

And no, the fact that people didn't read previous posts doesn't mean it was still a "secret code." It means the readers didn't inform themselves. That's not the same thing. Way to leap to an unnecessary conclusion.

To be fair, can you blame people for putting a link between the emoji's and a possible state of the build?

It isn't uncommon for game companies to put hints out regarding, for example, a new game title and since it's been pretty much a full year since 16.4, people will pick up on those small things and think of them as hints.

Actually, yes, I can blame people for linking them when Roland stated that there was NO LINK. So it was all on them, not Roland or TFP as a whole.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually agree with most of this, @Jackelmyer. My issue with it isn't that I feel I need to defend the emoji thing itself -- people are entitled to think it's fun, or stupid, or pointless, or whatever. That's perfectly legit. But when the person who started it made it clear from the beginning that there was no intention of "encoding" the emojis with secret messages...and people still decided that's what MUST BE GOING ON...then it's not on Roland. It's on the people who have chosen not to pay attention.

The truth of the emojis WAS communicated. It was an opportunity to have some fun, break up a bit of forum monotony, and have a laugh. There's nothing unprofessional about that. There's nothing unprofessional about Roland DOING it. It was a goof, it was stated as a goof from the outset, and people took it somewhere it NEVER should have gone. That's not unprofessional of Roland or TFP. It's childishness on the part of the people throwing the fit, and that's not something that TFP are responsible for.

This, right here. Thank you.

Looks like the forum is on the verge of a riot.

*Looks left*

*Looks right*

I THINK UNDERGROUND BASES SHOULD BE MADE PRACTICALLY IMPOSSIBLE.

I THINK THE 4x4 DOES NOT CONTRIBUTE MUCH TO THE GAME

I DON'T CARE MUCH ABOUT THE IMPROVED MODDIBILITY OF THE GAME

*Runs away around the corner*

Dude, people have asked and re-asked about things that are posted on the first page. This is not convincing.

This literally has to change, every other successful game...

Your logic...isn't.

same here, just stopped working on my stupid big anti-horde base because i wanted to start a new game with the a17, and here i still waiting for that

same here

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like the forum is on the verge of a riot.

*Looks left*

*Looks right*

I THINK UNDERGROUND BASES SHOULD BE MADE PRACTICALLY IMPOSSIBLE.

I THINK THE 4x4 DOES NOT CONTRIBUTE MUCH TO THE GAME

I DON'T CARE MUCH ABOUT THE IMPROVED MODDIBILITY OF THE GAME

*Runs away around the corner*

you forgot EMOJIES ARE SECRED CODE !!!

then suddinly cars start flying thought the air

Archived