Did you see how many negative comment on Joels a17 expo?

boonecraft

You, of course, are entitled to your opinion. But what I said is based on my real life experiences as a software developer. If you wait for your customers to express their disappointments in a polite and constructive fashion, you are going to wait for a long long time and you will be outdone by your competitors who aren't as selective.

Constructive feedback is a rare commodity, always has been and always will be. As a designer of a consumer product it is *your* responsibility to listen. Quite often it involves listening to a complete and utter drivel. Such is life. Get over it or get out of business.

We're talking about two different things here. On the one hand, is the question of whether a company should listen to any and all feedback. As you point out, it might be wise of them to do so because they won't always get it in the form that they want. At the same time, it's at their discretion.

On the other hand, is the question of whether a customer has the right to be heard and/or responded to when they express their feedback rudely. The answer here is a straight no. In fact, the customer does not have the right to the company's attention regardless of how they express themselves. Just because it might be in the best interest of the company to respond to their customers does not mean that they are obligated to do so. If the customer wants a response or attention from the company, it is in their best interest to express themselves civilly and in a manner which is useful to the company.

You, of course, are entitled to your opinion. But what I said is based on my real life experiences as a software developer.

My experiences in the field do not match yours, although I've no interest in turning this into a competition to see who has the best claimed credentials, since that's a completely pointless exercise and I've no ego at stake here.

We're talking about two different things here. On the one hand, is the question of whether a company should listen to any and all feedback. As you point out, it might be wise of them to do so because they won't always get it in the form that they want. At the same time, it's at their discretion.

On the other hand, is the question of whether a customer has the right to be heard and/or responded to when they express their feedback rudely. The answer here is a straight no. In fact, the customer does not have the right to the company's attention regardless of how they express themselves. Just because it might be in the best interest of the company to respond to their customers does not mean that they are obligated to do so. If the customer wants a response or attention from the company, it is in their best interest to express themselves civilly and in a manner which is useful to the company.

Exactly. A company should be aware of feedback, but if that feedback is misinformed, misguided, or just plain rude and abusive then they're under no obligation to spend time addressing it.

All feedback can give useful information. The useful information I get from most A)misinformed, B) misguided, or C) just plain rude and abusive people is:

A) I need to plead with Valve to make their Early Access banners flash and beep and the TOS agreement should be signed in blood instead of just being a digital button that can be pressed to indicate it was read.

B) Instead of the captcha system for posting we need a quiz about how the alpha phase of development works. Potential posters must read and answer the quiz correctly before they can be approved for posting

C) I need to wield my ban hammer like Thor

All feedback can give useful information. The useful information I get from most A)misinformed, B) misguided, or C) just plain rude and abusive people is:

A) I need to plead with Valve to make their Early Access banners flash and beep and the TOS agreement should be signed in blood instead of just being a digital button that can be pressed to indicate it was read.

B) Instead of the captcha system for posting we need a quiz about how the alpha phase of development works. Potential posters must read and answer the quiz correctly before they can be approved for posting

C) I need to wield my ban hammer like Thor

Time to change the Underoos already?! I thought you had a good couple weeks left in those.

I do.

Forwards, Backwards, Inside Out, Forwards, Backwards should get me through at least another few weeks with the one pair I have. I'll start searching for Thor underoos after A17-E drops...

You might need to get more than a few more weeks out of them then...

I just couldn't handle seeing him die a bunch of times to normal difficulty zombies and being horrible with inventory management. He plays the game as though he has no experience which makes no sense cuz he has 10k hours in.

Perhaps he's a shy person that suffers from buck fever and just needs a hug. ;)

Up to a certain point I can relate tho, its a video showing "the day 1 of A17" but instead is 45 minutes of Joel trying to get into a house in a farm showing literally nothing about A17...

And so the negative comments are divided in:

1-Angry people who thought it was a video showing day 1 of A17.

2-People who is angry cause the very same creator of the game doesn't seem (I put emphasis on seem) to have a clue on how to play his own game.

3-Angry people who where expecting to see some radical changes on A17 and not only didn't find it in that video, they found stuff that they didn't like, such as the new hp life, the new "fighting" system, etc.

4- Not less, angry people who check's all the above plus they know this Alpha took a year of waiting and they'r seeing A16 bugs like constant re spawning zombies not fixed yet.

So yeah, I can understand, and before you throw a "Its an early access game" let me be clear, I understand that, and I believe the negative comments authors do too, what you have to understand its that frustration is part of human being, and they are.

Now, putting that behind, I strongly believe you can't judge an Alpha before you play it, BUT, so far, from what I've seen, I don't think its going to be that interesting, at least thats my opinion, I'll have to play it first to confirm or deny what I just say, just basing my argument on the dev diary and the little gameplay videos.

+ADD EDIT: What it got me personally triggered was while JOEL was shooting arrows I notice like 2 or 3 times that the hitbox failed, that really pissed me off, cause is something OLD, and was one of the main reasons why I would throw my mouse and keyboard against the monitor after dying because of it and closing the game for a week or two in the past.

I hope Im wrong.

Up to a certain point I can relate tho, its a video showing "the day 1 of A17" but instead is 45 minutes of Joel trying to get into a house in a farm showing literally nothing about A17...

2-People who is angry cause the very same creator of the game doesn't seem (I put emphasis on seem) to have a clue on how to play his own game.

3-Angry people who where expecting to see some radical changes on A17 and not only didn't find it in that video, they found stuff that they didn't like, such as the new hp life, the new "fighting" system, etc.

4- Not less, angry people who check's all the above plus they know this Alpha took a year of waiting and they'r seeing A16 bugs like constant re spawning zombies not fixed yet.

So yeah, I can understand, and before you throw a "Its an early access game" let me be clear, I understand that, and I believe the negative comments authors do too, what you have to understand its that frustration is part of human being, and they are.

Now, putting that behind, I strongly believe you can't judge an Alpha before you play it, BUT, so far, from what I've seen, I don't think its going to be that interesting, at least thats my opinion, I'll have to play it first to confirm or deny what I just say, just basing my argument on the dev diary and the little gameplay videos.

+ADD EDIT: What it got me personally triggered was while JOEL was shooting arrows I notice like 2 or 3 times that the hitbox failed, that really pissed me off, cause is something OLD, and was one of the main reasons why I would throw my mouse and keyboard against the monitor after dying because of it and closing the game for a week or two in the past.

I hope Im wrong.

I actually liked that some of the arrows missed. Often feel a selfmade bow and arrow should be way

more innaccurate then they currently are ingame. But perhaps better for new players if they are as

powerful and accurate as they are.

I actually liked that some of the arrows missed. Often feel a selfmade bow and arrow should be way

more innaccurate then they currently are ingame. But perhaps better for new players if they are as

powerful and accurate as they are.

There is a point.... but only so far. If i fire a shot and I see it go wide, that understand. If I shoot and it goes thru, well not so much.

I hope Im wrong.

You summarized exactly my observations as well.

The routine vitriole of Youtube comments really wasn't there to the degree I was expecting. Or at least to the extent that I thought the title of this thread suggested. I was actually kind of surprised that I sympathized with the bulk of the significant comments.

I saw one excellent post on the YT comments, which suggested that TFP pay a professional to play & showcase their videos.

You summarized exactly my observations as well.

The routine vitriole of Youtube comments really wasn't there to the degree I was expecting. Or at least to the extent that I thought the title of this thread suggested. I was actually kind of surprised that I sympathized with the bulk of the significant comments.

I saw one excellent post on the YT comments, which suggested that TFP pay a professional to play & showcase their videos.

You mean like opening it up to streamers for a few days? So they can show case the game and who cover a wide range of game playing ability and styles?

You mean like opening it up to streamers for a few days? So they can show case the game and who cover a wide range of game playing ability and styles?

That's an awesome idea! TFP should totally do that!

You know, something like giving it to streamers on Friday. They can show it of for a few days while the final serious bugs are worked out, and then on Monday everyone else gets a more stable version than what the streamers had.

You know, something like giving it to streamers on Friday. They can show it of for a few days while the final serious bugs are worked out, and then on Monday everyone else gets a more stable version than what the streamers had.

Gotta wait mid to late October for that. Personally I'm thinking later. But I'm a patient man.

Even more people would see the game if they make a free weekend on steam. Literally everyone starting steam gets a notification.

Or let the players do the work. Give everyone who already owns the game 2 or 3 game keys that are limited to 3 days of playing so they can spread it among their friends. Free advertising.

Even better: Do all three of these things.

When I fist saw 7DtD I didnt know it was a voxel game, and really its hard to notice if u see a video where someone gun down zombies or run around not building or terraforming. I quickly dismissed it as a Dayz clone with ♥♥♥♥ty graphics. And I honestly get the impression that 7DtD`s voxel engine tech isnt really talked about much. Its always about the zombies and the idea about a horde every 7th day thats the main selling point.

For me I think the graphics are kinda ♥♥♥♥ty, but for a voxel game its the best graphics out there atm.

Actually, no. Pay professionals to play it a bit, and succinctly showcase the new features of the game. Then put it on the steam store page. Watching Fruit Loop with picture in picture on talking to his band of twitch followers is not what I had in mind. Vanity at its worst.

The devs have done this before... didn't work out cuz the streamer turned out to be a real loser who made more enemies than fans. Since then, Madmole has done the streaming.

The devs have done this before... didn't work out cuz the streamer turned out to be a real loser who made more enemies than fans. Since then, Madmole has done the streaming.

Really? Didnt know that. Nice bit of lore there...

Any chance you remember that streamers callname?

Should you try to imply that that's what they do: It's not what they do.

Q: If the game is good enough for streamers to show it, isn’t it good enough for players to play it?

A: The version the streamers will be playing will be the same release candidate we plan for the whole community (who wish to test experimental) to get. But we have found that releasing an experimental version on a Monday is much better for us to be able to respond quickly and effectively with hotfixes and get new builds out to you that play better. The whole team isn’t always available on the weekend to address showstoppers but on that Monday we’ll be ready.

Really? Didnt know that. Nice bit of lore there...

Any chance you remember that streamers callname?

I'm sure I can figure it out as I remember part of his name... but with name and shame rules and all that stuff, especially after calling that person a loser... I'd rather not.

Pewdiepie

lol, funny but no.

Should you try to imply that that's what they do: It's not what they do.

Well, it is what some of them do or at least what some of them did during the weekend of the A16 streamer event. When some on the team noticed something wrong while watching some of the streams they went in and submitted some fixes during the weekend so that those issues wouldn't be around for the general release. At least a couple of guys on the team have told me that they plan to watch some streams and put in fixes for stuff they see.

I guess one additional benefit of the streamer weekend is that it acts as a sort of soft launch although that is not the intended purpose.

Archived