Reached a point (again) where I'm fed up with the game.

Michlo

Greetings.

I have 522 hours into this game. Obviously, I like it. I just came back recently for another go and I've hit the same point that I (forgot I) hit before and it is really souring my experience.

After a lot of effort, I have my base (the farmhouse) rather well defended. I have the top-tier steel spikes around the perimeter and the lower couple of rows of blocks are also the top tier steel.

You'd think that would be enough to go and safely explore for a while without having to worry about the base.

Nope.

Despite the fact that these zombies still only have flesh and blood hands, their slightest touch on steel spikes is enough to degrade them.

Since, after day 51 (I think I'm at 56 now) hordes are descending every day, I sometimes don't even get to leave as I'm dealing with hordes and then the numerous repairs over and over again. Often, I'm just about finishing up with one horde of about thirty when another rolls right up!

And WHY am I suddenly having sleepers spring into being inside the farmhouse WHERE I LIVE? How could they possibly get in?

I know you want us to have challenges but when we get all the way to steel we should be able to have a break to go and do something else, explore or create another project, without having to worry that our base is being destroyed. It should take hundreds of zombies before there is the slightest scratch on steel!

So, my questions are: will the integrity of higher tier materials ever be addressed?

Will we be given a point to aim for where we can finally relax a little?

Is this a bug with the sleepers? It seems to happen if I close the two main doors (I don't always).

Is endless hordes after a certain day a known mechanic? I only have two forges, one in the attic and one in my mine area at bedrock so surely that isn't enough to draw them.

I want to keep playing this game but NOT as a janitor.

Cheers.

The sleeper thing is a known bug. A workaround is to place a block where they spawn, remove the block and they'll eventually respawn if you reload the game.

Everything else can be done by messing with the xml files. You can manually set the block durability to make them far tougher, you can lower the spawn rate of hordes and choose what type of zombie appears when they do. There's a huge amount of stuff in there you can customize, have a look, xml isn't that difficult. :-)

A couple of easy fixes for you:

1) Turn off spike damage. You can set it so that spikes don't degrade when zeds walk on them.

2) Upgrade HP for reinforced steel blocks. Of course you can do this for all blocks with block hardness, but that may not be what you want. Also realize this will make it a real pain to rmeove anything you place accidentally.

As for endless hordes, A16 is tuned so that you get 1-2 wandering hordes per day. Depending on gamestrage and luck, these can get pretty nasty. If you don't mind missing out on the XP and loot, you can turn them off. If the problem is screamers, turn off your forges or build a crafting base away from the base you want to protect.

Regarding spawns inside your base, I'm assuming you're using a reinforced POI? That's always going to be a bit problematic if your bedroll can't cover the whole POI. The only way to stop spawns completely is build a base from scratch.

Hope this helps!

Consider if you really need your steel spikes in pristine condition at all times. I can’t look up the real numbers right now, but a spike at 11,970/12,000 hit points isn’t going anywhere, and repairing it at that point is wasteful. The other posters are correct about sleeper spawns - see the sticky in the Questions section for all your spawn-related questions.

Thank you both. Yes, I'm going to try my first XML edits.

So far, I've found how to decrease zombie damage to all blocks but do either of you have a link to a guide for only decreasing damage to the toughest blocks, please?

Yes, I do use a reinforced POI. I'm partial to the corn farmhouse. The spawns have been right next to my bedroll, however so I think it is bugged. :)

You've both been a big help, thank you.

Cheers.

Never cleaned up the Thread or made a final balance but no major bugs, (nerly no minor)

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?76753-Royals-Vanilla-Mod

Use the mod or use the info if you make your own ^^

The maybe interesting part for you starts here

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?76753-Royals-Vanilla-Mod&p=756770&viewfull=1#post756770

Can anyone really confirm that placing a block where you've seen a sleeper spawn actually works? I've seen prefabs with the sleeper volume visible and there are dozens and dozens of possible locations for the sleepers to spawn. You wade through ghost zombie bodies as you walk through the prefab. Seems like placing a block where you saw the zombie spawn would only plug the one possibility.

Was looking at your Trinium Blocks. Interesting. Was thinking though if zombies were beating on the blocks you would get those unsightly cracks in your base. What if you made the block only have one hitpoint. As it downgrades into itself anyway shoudn't it keep the block nice and clean. I wasn't sure if the constant replacing of the blocks would cause any undo strain on a server.

Hmmm, may have to try this on my own server.

Can anyone really confirm that placing a block where you've seen a sleeper spawn actually works? I've seen prefabs with the sleeper volume visible and there are dozens and dozens of possible locations for the sleepers to spawn. You wade through ghost zombie bodies as you walk through the prefab. Seems like placing a block where you saw the zombie spawn would only plug the one possibility.

Fair point, I've never checked this myself.

Another workaround would be to edit the prefab of the POI you like to take over and remove the sleeper spawns from it. This would likely require starting a new game or at least relocating to an area of the map you've never visited before to spawn the POI with no sleepers.

No idea, there was a time in experimental i had proof that the sleeper spawn INSIDE player placed blocks (Had a screen with a sleeper inside a block spawned, but (normally they simply Glitch upwards) he was trapped with his head inside my Concrete mixer)

I am really not sure if this has ever been fixed

I'm reading the OP and thinking, we need 2 different game modes.

1. one with GPS hordes every 7 days (and horde mode with GPS every day)

2. another without GPS where you can hide in your base and let the horde pass.

Co-op with GPS hordes sound way cool but in solo it's too tedious to keep me interested.

If the block is replaced with something then it only removes that single spawn point and any of the other sleeper blocks can still be used.

If I remember the code I read it should trigger a delegate that removes any sleeper spawn point in that block so it won't spawn a sleeper inside the block, and if that block is removed it doesn't re-add the spawn point. so replace the bottom block where there's room for an entity to spawn and you will clear all the sleeper spawns for good.

other option is delete the sleeper volume from the chunk with sdx or an api mod ;)

Should work, the 20 000 i used to give Trolls something to do^^

Besides that, i would use this blocks only in basement (where they take no damage)

and as outer wall (where i like some cracks, feels immersive )

Yes, I can see only having to use the block for lower level.

Royal, do you have a cracks addiction.....:p

I don't see what you're complaining about. I'm on day 133, with just a normal base protected by a wall and steel spikes. Steel spikes give you a heap of bang for your buck, and it takes maybe, 5 - 10 minutes of mining to get enough iron to repair steel spikes for a week? Of course, it's a big waste of time to repair every spike up to 100% every time they've been damaged. Just wait until they've been downgraded to a scrap metal spike, then it takes half a second to repair it to a 100% steel spike.

When I use a prefab for a base I remove all the floor and replace and never had any sleeper spawning.

I don't like being on maintenance duty 100% of the time either. I'm at day 92 in my current SP game, and I honestly only spend a few game hours in repair mode after each BM, and haven't had a wandering or screamer horde do any damage I cared about. I only see 1 or 2 wandering hordes per day, and can go several days without seeing one at all.

I don't know if you want to try playing the way I do, but I think it's less frustrating.

I try not to spend much time in my "workshop" base, I have mines, farms, and horde fighting bases located short distances away from my main base. If you move around a bit, the wandering hordes aren't an issue (and when they do find me, they're easy enough to kite 'n kill; I do have them set to only run at night, so that helps.)

I don't use any of the house POIs, but I do have bases on the roofs of a six story apartment building and a post office. I don't worry about replacing spawn points, since the sleeping bag seems to work ok. Wandering hordes do punch their way though the first floors, but the buildings are pretty sturdy, and I haven't bothered to repair them at all. When it gets too iffy, I just move, but that hasn't been a problem so far.

Hope this helps!

That's been my experience. You plug one hole but it doesn't stop the other spawn points.

I'm reading the OP and thinking, we need 2 different game modes.

1. one with GPS hordes every 7 days (and horde mode with GPS every day)

2. another without GPS where you can hide in your base and let the horde pass.

Co-op with GPS hordes sound way cool but in solo it's too tedious to keep me interested.

As much as i dislike GPS hordes, without gps there wouldn't be much point in them spawning.

Well - sleeper thing is addressed... Almost everyone thinks they need to have their forges running all day and at their base... That's whats causing all the hordes! "We" too also got tired of that... I've been telling them this for quite sometime now. I say we in that we - 9 of us play on a dedi. So - I've moved the forge away from our base and out in the open. Sure - Screamers still pop up there all the time - but they just kind of look around totally confused since there is no one there, nor anything there to kill them. Just have to be careful when you do go to the forge, chemical station, etc... I've put up sniping towers so 'they' have no issues in taking anything out at the forge stations. A while back in an extreme case - when I first started I used sod placed on wood frames to cover up the tunnel to the forges I had underground from my base. It was placed many chunks away from my base. Did I/we get any hordes? Only the wandering ones when we were at the base, other wise nope!

I tried the sleeper spawn blocking in the ranger station.

First, I put down wood plates on every available floor tile on bottom and first floor.

When I came back, I found 3 zombie sleepers in it. So this clearly did not work.

I then tried placing full blocks on all the sleeper spawn points of the ranger station. Including the ones on the roof.

No sleepers spawned after this and I did go back multiple times...

This was my experience.

I never tried removing the POI completely to see it sleepers still spawn. Because I read somewhere here on the forum, that they still spawn in this case.

I don't worry about keeping my spikes in pristine condition. In SP random gen, I rarely take over POIs but instead build small bunkers of cobblestone with subterranean forge, workstations, and campfires. I usually have a couple rows of spikes around the bunker for when I am there. Then I am out and exploring or gathering. The wandering hordes will find me and not my base. Part of the reason they are GPSing to your position is you are repairing your spikes for too long. Stay in a location long enough, they will find you. Steel spikes should last quite a while without needing replacement, so I agree with the others who have said you don't need to keep them pristine. Try an experiment; if you are the 56 day horde, repair your base as needed. If this takes a full game day, fine. Next day when the Z's stop running (or if you want, at night sneak around) and leave the base. I don't leave multiple forges or campfires running while away. One forge smelting metals and maybe making iron or steel arrow tips while I am away. Find a temporary base to set-up near a town or just explore and use a POI to ride out the night. Do not place a sleeping roll when you are out. Risky, true, but it could save some things at your base. Then time it so that you return to your base the day of the next 7 day horde and see the status of your spikes. Are they destroyed? Did they only take a little damage? Do you need to fully replace them? Part of the beauty of this open world is to try things and push yourself to avoid old habits and try new things or ways of living. My guess would be that your spikes will be fine overall, maybe in need of some small repairs. Restart your forges and campfires, since your getting a horde anyway.

In MP, my partners and I usually use a POI in a town or city to start, but we are out exploring, looting, and gathering resources once we have some defenses in place (not even wood log spikes) and only have an occasional problem with a wandering horde mucking things up.

Sleepers outside a certain radius in larger POIs are an issue, but if you are aware of it, you can prepare for it.

Good luck. Don't give up, just try a different playstyle and experiment a lot. You may find a different way to play the game that you like better than your current way.

I used to base in POIs too. I still do if I'm exploring a city or something and need a loot house. Placing a sleeping roll/sleep bag or bed will generally stop sleepers from spawning, but it's not bulletproof. The bag has some invisible radius and if a sleeper spawn is outside that radius, the protection won't apply. Obviously this is an issue in bigger POIs. Also keep in mind that placing a second bag ANYWHERE will automatically render null the protection the first bag applied. You would need multiple people to bag different buildings.

Archived