Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I can’t say why the developers have chosen this approach. Here are my guesses:

1) the devs are crafting a game that has rules and limitations as opposed to a pure sandbox in which anything goes.

2) the devs are wanting to increase replayability by creating a framework where choices matter and the game will play differently each time because of those different choices.

3) the devs don’t support a philosophy of min/maxing yourself up to God levels in everything as quickly as possible so as to have the advantage over everyone else on a server.

4) the devs think specialization makes for a better design for their game but they will allow mods to exist for those who don’t believe as they do.

5) the devs are making a roleplaying game in which your character will have strengths AND weaknesses.

Those are some great points, and may I say crucial ones for a good gameplay.

7D2D is in dire need for some more complexity for the gameplay to work in the long run and not get boring. An option to pick classes at start would be a great addition as it would limit the player to certain skills that fit his/her gameplay style.

So IMO, the level cap is a pretty needed addition to the overall gameplay. From my experience with other games that let you max out everything, it gets boring pretty soon after you hit that point.

They can keep throwing content into the game all day long, but great design choices of the core gameplay will keep it fresh in the long run.

I like the specialization. The element of roleplay and being super efficient in only a few things seems reasonable.

On the other hand, not being able to remove weapon mods that are actually removable sounds way off to me.

This is the worst Dev Diary I've seen yet. Roland, I don't envy your job bud. Faatal and Prime, thanks for your contributions, it's appreciated by the folks who understand that doing what you do isn't color-by-numbers.

Anybody asking why this isn't the focal point of dev news, look at the people posting around you. Would YOU want to interact with this lot?

The basic club item can have the Spiked mod. Also I heard of the Flaming mod (during Primes last stream) that can set zombies on fire as well as act like a torch.

Wonder if they fixed the xp issue there. If you burn a zombie to death with the fire effect from a motlotov or fire arrows or the torch, you get no xp if it dies from burning to death. At least I don't think you do.

This is the worst Dev Diary I've seen yet. Roland, I don't envy your job bud. Faatal and Prime, thanks for your contributions, it's appreciated by the folks who understand that doing what you do isn't color-by-numbers.

Anybody asking why this isn't the focal point of dev news, look at the people posting around you. Would YOU want to interact with this lot?

I just see it as growing pains. Some people bought this game while it was still mostly an empty framework and just assumed the game would be Gary’s Mod of the Zombie Apocalypse. Now that the framework is being flesh out into a designed game with rules and restrictions it hurts their sandbox elbow.

Others bought the game when experience points were first added and just assumed this wasn’t going to be WoW of the Zombie Apocalypse. Now that restrictions on min/maxing are being implemented it hurst their grindfest groin.

7 Days to Die is evolving into the designed ruleset of an open world tower defense survival horror role playing zombie apocalypse game the devs always wanted it to be.

I just see it as growing pains. Some people bought this game while it was still mostly an empty framework and just assumed the game would be Gary’s Mod of the Zombie Apocalypse. Now that the framework is being flesh out into a designed game with rules and restrictions it hurts their sandbox elbow.

Others bought the game when experience points were first added and just assumed this wasn’t going to be WoW of the Zombie Apocalypse. Now that restrictions on min/maxing are being implemented it hurst their grindfest groin.

7 Days to Die is evolving into the designed ruleset of an open world tower defense survival horror role playing zombie apocalypse game the devs always wanted it to be.

pfft. A7 was were it was at!

Just confirmed with Prime. The challenge quests in the form of notes now grant experience points instead of spendable skill points. He also said their format will change but he did not elaborate. Looks like level 200 will be a hard cap with no fudging past it in A17 vanilla.

So we either can, up max lv in the xml or up skill points per level to compensate. I'd prob up max level myself. First though the game has to be able to keep my interest right now by the time I hit lv 60-70 I am bored and quit. By then I have so much ammo and resources I literally have no reason to explore anymore. I also play dead is dead in A16 so if I die=delete world. Still love the game it just starts to call apart in midgame in A16 for me. A17 though sounds like its bascally going to be a new game, I can't wait.

So we either can, up max lv in the xml or up skill points per level to compensate. I'd prob up max level myself.

Skill points per level will be probably what i will do bit first i will play it as is and see how it is.

I think upping skill points per level will tend to put you too far ahead of the difficulty curve. If I felt the need I would increase the level cap.

But I dig specialization and starting over fresh. Can’t imagine playing to day 1000 just to max everything out.

pfft. A7 was were it was at!

Only thing I miss from A7 are the old cobblestone/titanium blocks, but that's just because of the look. If they added a paint texture of that, I'd be ok. Many of the old versions are still available through Steam's Beta tab. If you need a dose of the "good old days" just hop on and switch over. The Mod Manager lets you make a copy with the older version too I believe.

I think upping skill points per level will tend to put you too far ahead of the difficulty curve. If I felt the need I would increase the level cap.

But I dig specialization and starting over fresh. Can’t imagine playing to day 1000 just to max everything out.

Yeah level cap would probally be better, this way the diffculty stays the same at least until level 200. Highest level I've ever gotten has been in the 80's or so before I got bored, as I had everything I needed in A16 a bit before then.

degradation yes but if say a pick ax wrench etc wears down you fix it over and over it never needs replacing so you never need that material tool ever again. Even with the guns you keep using something it wears down with this you never need a new tool or gun ever again. Why explore if your purple gun never breaks down, why would you ever need to make a 2nd steel iron etc pick ax if repairing it makes it brand new over and over again. Again I might of missed something but if its like what I said it takes away a huge part off exploring and replacing tools. Final words for now, so in this world guns and tools never really break down now?

What could happen is maybe it takes a durability hit after each repair, so eventually its going to have next to no durability and it'll need to be replaced. I don't think it'll drop quality tiers anymore not when it has mod slots now. But dropping durability on each repair? that could be done. Also if you have a workbench your tools will never have a quality drop, just make a copy of it and use that to repair it via combine in the workbench.

Yeah you are right.

I did that in A16 once and i had concrete in lile the first week.

Also in one of my recent pِays i had a minibike on day 5 just by scavenging the parts together and wrenching cars.

Faatal

Have the night vision googles been fixed for A17...could be useful with the AI being fixed!!

Regards

Ouch

Coughs * VIDEO * Coughs

I wish we could change the effect itself so its like the cats eye chem from fallout new vegas. Here is a picture of it: FNV_effect_cateye_cave.jpg.d13667f0b07e10e8ead663af20607283.jpg Picture is clear and it has a blueish filter effect with no static like the ones in 7dtd.

I wanted to ask:

1. I saw this post in the (drop section) on the first page.

"er....Blimp... 7/24/18"

Are they talking about the blimps that faatal was making?

2. Why can we only install mods to weapons and not take them off?

Seems simple enough to install and remove a scope as needed.

2. To keep you scavenging for more. If scopes are detachable you won’t care when finding a new one. But if they aren’t then you’ll be glad to get a new one every time you find one.

That's no different than not caring to find one more water jar because your water supply is covered, or one more tier 6 rifle because you already have one, etc. I don't really like this being the reason that scopes would not be dettachable, honestly. You can still scrap new ones you find of the same type, or hand them to a friend, or sell them, or keep some more around to use in more than one gun at the same time.

EDIT: Also, can't mods theoretically have different properties, even the same ones, with the new buff system? So you could always have two x4 scopes that add different stats, besides the magnification itself?

Archived