Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

You'd be surprised what an arrow wil go through, what it lacks in speed it makes up for in mass and inertia. An arrow will go through a modern suit of kevlar armour better than a bullet although you're correct that there's far less hydrostatic damage of the surrounding tissue.

You can get more damage by using a proper war arrowhead like a bodkin, although they're technically illegal in the UK you can get them for the price of a couple of beers from your local medieval blacksmithing re-enactor.

[trigger warning : arrow through a skull]

https://i2.wp.com/memolition.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/1198.jpg?fit=758%2C800

The reason why inaccurate and slow firing muskets replaced bows and x-bows was: the increased damage and better armor penetration of the musket won battles.

Now 1 vs 1, I'd take a x-bow because if we both miss, I'd run over and stab him with a bolt while he's reloading! :)

The reason why inaccurate and slow firing muskets replaced bows and x-bows was: the increased damage and better armor penetration of the musket won battles.

Now 1 vs 1, I'd take a x-bow because if we both miss, I'd run over and stab him with a bolt while he's reloading! :)

Not at all, an arrow is far better at penetrating armour than a bullet. The main reason for the shift was that it takes about 3 years to learn how to shoot a bow well and about 3 weeks to learn how to shoot a crossbow or gun with the same accuracy.

Not at all, an arrow is far better at penetrating armour than a bullet. The main reason for the shift was that it takes about 3 years to learn how to shoot a bow well and about 3 weeks to learn how to shoot a crossbow or gun with the same accuracy.

Yeah, the true reason was the amount of practice required.

However, the statement that arrows are good at penetrating armor is pointedly (hah) debated. Of course, it depends on the arrow and on the armor, but penetrating late-medieval style plate armor is very difficult with anything besides needle-point longbow-style English arrows. Most other arrows from 'regular' archers would bounce off. Chainmail type armor can be more easily penetrated. Tests vary widely of course, but about 2/3rds of all arrows penetrated chainmail armor in this test (http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=11131).

A lead ball on the other hand has much less difficulty penetrating armor. Hitting said armor, that's an another question entirely.

d3614f110146168a3dd2a00ce7c94c50--medieval-armor-th-century.jpg

<snipped for space>

We're at great risk of generalizing the technological developments of a 500 year period. :-)

It's the balance of aiming/ammunition/armour.

I'm pretty sure SWAT or EOD has armour that would stop an arrow but would do little to stop a HEAP round from a pistol.

So, there's no chance to have vehicles builded from blocks, right? Then what about possibility to place blocks (workbenches, forges, etc.) on existing vehicles? I still dream on mobile base since 2014, lol :)

It's looking incredibly unlikely.

An easier system to implement while still satisfying the need to build and customise is to use the modularity of unity's vehicle system to its fullest extent.

Start with a chassis, this is the root object of the vehicle and determines what can be placed on it.

Add an engine of varying size, speed and torque.

Add wheels of varying grip.

Add suspension with a setting UI.

Add storage for loot.

Add seats for driver/passenger.

Add bodywork to taste.

Add spikes for fun.

Each of these is an independant module which can be customised and when brought together can produce a lot of opportunity for variation and tuning.

Certain modules could be swapped out for modules of a similar size. For example, you could replace a passenger seat with cargo space or a cutom module such as a mobile forge. Removing the rear storage could allow a mobile workbench to be fitted.

(sorry fataal)

I don't think they will ever add the "build from blocks" vehicle feature. This is for 2 reasons:

1. They have redone vehicles from scratch for A17 and they would have to throw most of it in the garbage and redo it again. Maybe they could keep the physics part of it?
  2. It is incredibly difficult to implement in a performance friendly way.

Maybe they have considered the thing and came to the conclusion that's not worth it. @faatal can you enlighten us on this?

Personally I would like it either way. Because building your own vehicle with blocks has its own downsides. Like:

• It takes longer.
  • Aesthetically looks bad. (at least worse than premade models)
  • It is a lot more demanding in terms of performance.

Wasn't it said that the bike is merely the player running, but very fast?

Although the new vehicles would be "proper" vehicles.

Anything with less than three wheels has to be kludged because... physics. That's not to say that you can't have suspension but to keep the thing upright in the first place it's often easier to "borrow" some functions of a character controller. A bike, whether motorized or not is inherently unstable.

You should know that from riding around Gotham on that... thing... what did you call it? Ah yes! The butterfly-bike :-)

We’re starting to have more and more people agree with each other by more than 100% which is always a sign of being close. It’s only through feelings of hype that thousands and millions of percents of agreement (or disagreement) become possible....

After a comment like that. I can see why they hit you. lol

I remember long time ago Madmole had this idea, when found gear has random attributes, like +1 to strength etc (Diablo style, you know). And since there are no talks of it, I guess it didn't make it into A17. Anyone knows? Is the feature dropped? Postponed to a later alpha?

I remember long time ago Madmole had this idea, when found gear has random attributes, like +1 to strength etc (Diablo style, you know). And since there are no talks of it, I guess it didn't make it into A17. Anyone knows? Is the feature dropped? Postponed to a later alpha?

Nope, no news on that front. But some unannounced features are supposed to be in A17, maybe it's one of them? I wouldn't get your hopes up though.

As far as I remember Gazz mentioned stuff like this as reason why they rebuild the whole buff system. So I think at least the ability to add gear like that is in A17.

I don't think they will ever add the "build from blocks" vehicle feature. This is for 2 reasons:

1. They have redone vehicles from scratch for A17 and they would have to throw most of it in the garbage and redo it again. Maybe they could keep the physics part of it?
  2. It is incredibly difficult to implement in a performance friendly way.

Maybe they have considered the thing and came to the conclusion that's not worth it. @faatal can you enlighten us on this?

Personally I would like it either way. Because building your own vehicle with blocks has its own downsides. Like:

• It takes longer.
  • Aesthetically looks bad. (at least worse than premade models)
  • It is a lot more demanding in terms of performance.

3) There is only one block size in 7 Days to Die.

The devs looked at adding micro voxels and then rejected it for performance reasons. Building vehicles out of 1m blocks would frankly look stupid so they would need to use a smaller micro block set for that.

This is the whole purpose of mod attachments so the feature is in. However the devs are sticking to realistic mods rather than magical ones. But Guppy could easily add dozens of mod attachments that give magical enhancements for his medieval mod. Weapons with mods already attached are also able to be found which means you could find a gun that has essentially +1 accuracy or club that does +1 damage for example.

But a “Vampiric Club of Greater Intellect Endowment” is not going to be in the vanilla game. (Most likely).

3) There is only one block size in 7 Days to Die.

The devs looked at adding micro voxels and then rejected it for performance reasons. Building vehicles out of 1m blocks would frankly look stupid so they would need to use a smaller micro block set for that.

I've seen some games that make one-block size buildable vehicles look pretty okay. ex: From the Depths (though I will say that you are kind of forced to make monstrously sized vehicles seeing as its mainly a naval game where size really matters in most cases.)

You could just do simple parts like:

Wheels/Tracks of different sizes

Chassis Piece

Seat

Bumper Piece

Etc.

Thank you Roland for your reply, as long as modders have the tools and ability to implement this, I'm good. Late game, when you have maxed gear (all your weapons and armor 600 quality), you don't have much incentive to scavenge. But if randomized +bonus loot gets implemented, you can always hope for some crazy “Vampiric Club of Greater Intellect Endowment” stuff. The key is 'random', so you expect to find anything.

Thank you Roland for your reply, as long as modders have the tools and ability to implement this, I'm good. Late game, when you have maxed gear (all your weapons and armor 600 quality), you don't have much incentive to scavenge. But if randomized +bonus loot gets implemented, you can always hope for some crazy “Vampiric Club of Greater Intellect Endowment” stuff. The key is 'random', so you expect to find anything.

I REALLY like this idea.

Gear with attributes would be great!

But still a bullet in the head is a bullet in the head. If the zombie is not wearing a military helmet it should die instantly.. At least this is what we are used to see in movies.

I respectfully disagree. There are plenty of examples of people being shot in the head and not dying. Gabby Giffords in ironically enough, Arizona. People have been impaled in the head by objects and lived... A shot in the brain stem, instant death. *Sorry if someone already made the same point. Not caught up in the forums.

I respectfully disagree. There are plenty of examples of people being shot in the head and not dying. Gabby Giffords in ironically enough, Arizona. People have been impaled in the head by objects and lived... A shot in the brain stem, instant death. *Sorry if someone already made the same point. Not caught up in the forums.

I raise you this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage

A bar to the head.

I raise you this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage

A bar to the head.

Yes! I was thinking of this exact incident when I made my comment about being impaled... it was used as an example in my EMT training back in the day.

To carry on this point, if a human can survive shots to the head and being impaled by a metal rod, it is plausible that zombies don't die (redied... died to the second power? Whatever) on the first or even second head shoot.

Archived