Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Frankly I think that zombies popping out of the ground around the player in an underground area sounds nuts.

I really think that there should be another way.

Perhaps if they attacked hatches to get inside.

But how do you overcome the problem if a player decides to put a 2 block gap around his base that the zombies can't jump across to get at said hatch or door.?

But how do you overcome the problem if a player decides to put a 2 block gap around his base that the zombies can't jump across to get at said hatch or door.?

I suppose 1 option is for zombies to dig sideways and upwards only. When they drop into the ditch they dig up towards the main level - then they can head toward the hatches. Once one makes it inside the route becomes an access point like an open doorway through which others can follow. Not sure how easy this would be from a programming standpoint however.

At night, Zombies should be able to physically do whatever a player can do.

Looking forward to the "Brain Zombie", still smart enough to use a weapon and open doors. :)

Looking forward to the "Brain Zombie", still smart enough to use a weapon and open doors. :)

I'm just imaging how horrifically hilarious it would be watching zombies casually open and close your doors on their way into your base to rip out your brains.

These are humans. You are describing humans.

Mod in some ugly NPCs and you have what you are looking for, not zombies.

I’ve ridden the bike and it is exquisite. Once it is properly implemented into the game I will go every where on it. It feels good and it looks pretty good. Right now it still uses the minibike HUD but burns no gas and also no stamina so it is definitely too OP for proper play but it is going to be an awesome addition regardless of all the disappointed ones who wanted four wheelers and passenger vehicles rather than a pedal bike.

Ooorh, you get all the perks... ;)

Can't wait to ride that thing :D

I wonder how many parts it'll need, and how many will be loot only.

The chain seems like an obvious loot object, and the headlight (if any).

Any other ideas?

Imo it should be a standard capability, any running zombie should be able to jump a short gap, except maybe the fat ones.

Maybe instead of Jumping Zombies a kind of throwing zombies.

As example they spit something on the floor, if someone steps on it he is throwen 4 Blocks High and 4 Blocks far, but take 40% damage

Why is this a problem?

What you call a problem is what I call player ingenuity. We shouldn't punish players for being both clever and original as well as showing inventive to overcome a problem.

Besides... zombies are not the only threat out there. Underground makes people Closter phobic and breathing can be a problem after a while. Then there's bandits, who can plan and find a way of getting around a simple stopgap. After watching some of The Walking dead. I would much rather face a hoard of zombies than bandits who can think and plan. That's just a few examples.

I'm sorry but the thing about zombies tearing through everything and being the dominate threat is just plane lazy.

There are so many threats out there that could kill you that when you stop to think about it. It's crazy.

Ah gotcha.

None of this virtual map stuff matters right now anyway. This is all presumptive based on Roland being a freaking tease. There probably isn't a virtual map and the closest thing to it is a way point system providing a Guppy Zombie paths to various toilets.

Between my tease and Kinyajuu’s musings we’ve had the best A17 discussion so far...

Why is this a problem?

What you call a problem is what I call player ingenuity. We shouldn't punish players for being both clever and original as well as showing inventive to overcome a problem.

Besides... zombies are not the only threat out there. Underground makes people Closter phobic and breathing can be a problem after a while. Then there's bandits, who can plan and find a way of getting around a simple stopgap. After watching some of The Walking dead. I would much rather face a hoard of zombies than bandits who can think and plan. That's just a few examples.

I'm sorry but the thing about zombies tearing through everything and being the dominate threat is just plane lazy.

There are so many threats out there that could kill you that when you stop to think about it. It's crazy.

+1

The point of threats is to overcome them. Nobody is trying to drive anyone from the underground or make it so that you can’t have safety. Those of us who want threats want them because they are fun to overcome. Just because players can come up with ways to overcome a threat doesn’t mean the devs might as well not add it in. They should be added in BECAUSE the player can overcome and defend against them.

I like the idea of jumping zombies , maybe some kind of zombie that runs on all 4 and jumps to attack or jump over gaps , similar to state of decay

Sounds like a revamped spider zombie. I think that instead of having them climb up walls they should just have 'em jump high. Plus, then they don't need to worry about fixing the bad looking anamation for when they climb walls. I mean, it looks like minecraft spiders climbing up walls.

Archived