Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Why would you want to remove the bloodmoon makes no sense you all bought the game knowing it's a zombie game.

Because we are not all the same and people find different things fun. It's that simple.

Personally, I like a more constant challenge most of the time but I will occasionally start a game with zombies turned off to simulate "last man on Earth" and then later turn on the zombies once I've got things where I want them. Variety is always a good thing in my opinion. :p

The Blood Moon did not come with the game when I bought it, big deal?

I do not remember it being in K/S'r either, big deal? Like a lot a players like to bring up, it is Alpha, big deal? The game is constantly evolving & there is this I want it my way mentality in some players opinions. I like the option to turn stuff off like Mah., sometime I turn stuff off & explore a seed or other stuff.

This is an RPG Survival Zombie Game so what is wrong with Role Playing & playing how you want to play. Ones Gameplay should not be determined by anyone,

you want a Tower Defense, go for it.

You want to go Nomad & live off the land & Explore, go for it.

You want to dig a hole & hide, NP, go for it & dig away.

Do I think anyplace in the Game should be SAFE? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

I just want to be able to turn such features on or off depending on my own Role Playing decisions for a given seed.

We have to look at the Mother of all Zombie Movies, The Great "Night of the Living Dead", the Theme of the Movie was Zombies of course but,

Stay Out OF The Cellar, Last Resort, Stay Out OF The Cellar, Last Resort, Stay Out OF The Cellar, Last Resort

If we really think Bed Rock is an Exploit then like the New South Park Game make Bed Rock Lava, we have a radiated boundary in the game so why not at Bed Rock, make it Hot & Gaseous to dig too far. I Still think the Worm Cave System is better then spending all this time on diggers.

I would rather have more Development on the Surface & Underwater before all this time is spent on Diggers due to Bed Rock Exploitation. If there is such a thing, some players think Mining is the Best Feature & would leave if you put too much pressure on them for Digging. should Digging not have any Perils, of course not & there have been a lot of good suggestions to make Digging more Perilous.

I think carrots work so much better than sticks as motivational tools. Make blood moon horde zombie loot unique (as in not available at anywhere else) and people will find reasons to engage the blood moon hordes. When TFP starts doing the final balancing stages before release I'm sure risk vs. reward will play heavily into it.

I think carrots work so much better than sticks as motivational tools. Make blood moon horde zombie loot unique (as in not available at anywhere else) and people will find reasons to engage the blood moon hordes. When TFP starts doing the final balancing stages before release I'm sure risk vs. reward will play heavily into it.

This would be cool.

Right now I get better loot from a wandering soldier horde than a blood moon horde so the only incentive for me to engage them is for the XP.

This would be cool.

Right now I get better loot from a wandering soldier horde than a blood moon horde so the only incentive for me to engage them is for the XP.

Had a large soldier horde walk past me so i ran after them shooting my ak-47 to get their attention.

People that believe zombies tearing through steel is ludicrous should look up "Limpet Teeth". It's the strongest biological material known (a snail makes it). Harder than iron; it can certainly do damage to steel over time. If I were writing the lore for this game I would make the "zombie virus" a parasitic bacterium that when infecting a host, causes these limpet teeth to cover their skin, etc. Every 7 days(incubation cycle) they release their spore into the air, making the sky and thus the moon turn red, while also strengthening/bersekering already infected hosts. I mean if you can dent steel with wood and scratch it with glass then limpet teeth should tear up the veneer.

I like this idea for an underground dweller. Plus, you made me look up limpet teeth :tongue1:. Interesting!

limpet-teeth.jpg

http://www.newsweek.com/snail-teeth-found-be-strongest-natural-material-307707

Loot distribution in general could do with some tweaks.

At the moment you seem to be able to get the best loot anywhere. Certain sites should have exclusive loot encouraging players to visit them and travel a bit more.

Military loot should be kept to military sites and personnel (assault rifles / SMGs etc)

Sky Scrapers have rare loot spawning at the top. Maybe there is a bit of a boss fight where it's all stashed turning them into the mini dungeons they are sometimes referred to.

Schematics should be properly distributed rather than % chance from any book shelf or cabinet. gun schematics should only spawn in gun shop filing desks, auger schematics only in working stiff filing cabinets.

These are just a few examples, it could be worked much more.

Oh ho! Mr. Prefab and his neato volumes trying to save the day. I hope you wiped after posting this. :-p

I like to keep it simple (stupid). =)

...another suggestion would just to add a dirt animation around the digging zombie when he is in "digging" mode and allow him to phase through dirt, and dirt alone.

'Makes sense' means the game world should be credible and consistent. They cannot simply 'define how the world works' without affecting these two properties.

Take the word "credible" out and I tend to agree with you but if you leave that in then,

a) Backpack should have at maximum 3 or 4 slots.

b) the bar at the bottom of the screen should have about the same.

c) Rock doesn't stack, iron doesn't stack, pretty much nothing would stack like it does in this game

d) zombies can't punch through anything harder than maybe wood

e) a player can't punch a tree and get wood

f) when a player places a wood frame it should take at least a few in-game minutes to "upgrade" it

g) etc, etc, etc.

The fact you can do ANY of the above is in no way "credible" but it does make a fun a game.

You missed the key point, kinyajuu said that if this were to be implemented they would only spawn behind the first layer of dirt behind your excavation and ONLY while you are actively digging would the % chance of a spawn happen in the block adjacent to the one you are currently digging they wouldn't just appear out of nowhere for no reason while you are just sat there admiring all your hard work and stocking your underground store.

That is just not true. Read his quote that my comment was underneath.

I have to correct myself (because I tend to forget NPCs). Groups of wild free-roaming geologists using special measuring probes in order to find player-made cavities could be a realistic option for underground threats. :laugh:

This makes my idea of caverns even more viable! 😂

- - - Updated - - -

A high level monk can fall any distance and take no damage provided he is in proximity to a wall.

Really Gaz? Monks now? lol

I like to keep it simple (stupid). =)

...another suggestion would just to add a dirt animation around the digging zombie when he is in "digging" mode and allow him to phase through dirt, and dirt alone.

Agreed. Stupid. :-p

But yeah, that's seemed the best approach to digging zombies IMO. Though if we did that, I don't think having a "digger" Zombie would be necessary. Just give all zombies that function.

The only problem I thought of with that is what happens when the path of a Zombie goes through the dirt and ends up at a players concrete wall? They phase through it? They form a pocket next to the wall and materialize? Something seems like it would be funky at that point.

It's a quick test to determine porosity.

You can do the same with ceramics. (which is really just an artificial mineral)

If you lick it and it feels dry then it's a lower quality material. The other extreme is porcelain which is already glass to a decent percentage. That won't feel dry at all.

"Honey, why are you licking the tableware? 7DTD forum told me to."

I agree hordes should be able to be turned off for people who dont like them...though i still never understand why. However the controlling factor of said hordes should NOT be weather u choose to build above ground or not. It should be a menu option.. Hordes on = threats everywhere , Hordes off = boring everywhere including below ground and above. Base location should not drive this option.

I'd prefer a horde frequency setting. 7 days, 14 days, 21 days, 28 days. Again a game pace setting option.

Though this doesn't handle screamers and wandering hordes that are more likely to reek havok than a blood moon if certain game mechanics are implemented such as digging zombies.

Blood Moon, you know it's coming and can prepare, even prepare an avoidance method where damage to your base and terrain might be countered.

Wandering hordes especially, not so much. At 50 blocks deep, you don't always know they're above you trashing things. Worse, you don't know diggers are burrowing down making your world a pockmarked terrain of ankle breaking annoyances and Structural Integrity nightmares.

- - - Updated - - -

"Honey, why are you licking the tableware? 7DTD forum told me to."

Please stop listening in on my marital conversations.

Agreed. Stupid. :-p

But yeah, that's seemed the best approach to digging zombies IMO. Though if we did that, I don't think having a "digger" Zombie would be necessary. Just give all zombies that function.

The only problem I thought of with that is what happens when the path of a Zombie goes through the dirt and ends up at a players concrete wall? They phase through it? They form a pocket next to the wall and materialize? Something seems like it would be funky at that point.

No, they beat on it like any other wall. Obviously whatever dirt blocks they're "in" would have to be replaced with their entity, but that's temporary. What would be cool is if they left tilled dirt in their wake. And no, not a special zombie, just a special digging mode they go into.

No, they beat on it like any other wall. Obviously whatever dirt blocks they're "in" would have to be replaced with their entity, but that's temporary. What would be cool is if they left tilled dirt in their wake. And no, not a special zombie, just a special digging mode they go into.

Yeah, that's kinda what I imagined. Still. If we're talking underground play, I'd rather see a group of zombies running down my halls rather than magically appearing from some soil.

How to make that happen... I have no idea...

We weren't the first to inhabit this land and bury our dead. So 6 ft is not necessarily a hard limit.

But forget that. Kinyajuu's idea could work if you only take the dirt layer into consideration. The zombies break in near the entrance/exit of your tunnel but still deep enough to be inside and then work their way down through the tunnel to assault your bunker. I think that is less cool than seeing them breaking through the walls around you but for the sake your immersion I'd be willing to give up that dream and go with something less cool but that still results in me defending my bunker from zombies.

It's a big assumption that players hollow out lots of rock around them and then build a bunker underground.

I dig down, establish just enough space for what I need to build, enclose it completely with walls and a roof so people using render glitches cant see whats inside, and start adjusting my base as needed.

If zombie came "bursting through my walls" they are going through every chest, forge, mixer, my well, etc, and could potentially wipe me out before I can even see where they are.

Seems a bit more brutal than it should be, unless there's an assumption I missed that large swathes of underground are already hollowed out?

I really like the "granite" idea as a solution to allow underground caverns! Don't think it's necessary to require a steel pickaxe to break through it though, don't really see the point. I'd rather just make it look like and have the same durability as normal stone for a seamless transition that the player doesn't notice.

I still like the idea of having "rock" get harder to dig through the deeper you go (based on the number of blocks above it, for instance). It would also be good to have tools wear out faster or slower based on the density of the rock. So an iron pickaxe would wear out faster than a steel one after a certain depth (not just number of hits). An auger might even be required for the last 10 blocks or something like that (or at least desired if it takes 30 hits with a steel pickaxe to break one block of stone at that depth).

It's a big assumption that players hollow out lots of rock around them and then build a bunker underground.

I dig down, establish just enough space for what I need to build, enclose it completely with walls and a roof so people using render glitches cant see whats inside, and start adjusting my base as needed.

If zombie came "bursting through my walls" they are going through every chest, forge, mixer, my well, etc, and could potentially wipe me out before I can even see where they are.

Seems a bit more brutal than it should be, unless there's an assumption I missed that large swathes of underground are already hollowed out?

This is a good point, I don't do the big bunker thing either, I dig to get ore that I need for the game. I find a place close to most of the Biomes & the Desert is easiest until you get to stone. I dig a 5 x 5 shaft & line it with blocks, ceiling & trap door. I start out with a 1 x 3 shaft straight down until I hit Bed Rock & it makes a big difference where you dig. It takes a lot longer to hit Bed Rock if you start at the top of a Mountain.

Once I hit Bed Rock I keep the Shaft enclosed & have 4 doors heading N, S, E, W to the different Biomes I am close to. I have Iron Bars around the bottom of the Shaft incase Z's come down the Shaft to shoot them.

I dig in the Mine Shaft Biome just like a real mine & set up my Forge Room there & I dig 1 x 3 Shafts until I reach the next Biome I am close to & start Mining for what I need. I only dig to set up a Mine for Ore but if Someone wants to build a Bunker so what,

Bomb Shelters were popular back then & glad Bunkers are in the Game.

I still like the idea of having "rock" get harder to dig through the deeper you go (based on the number of blocks above it, for instance). It would also be good to have tools wear out faster or slower based on the density of the rock. So an iron pickaxe would wear out faster than a steel one after a certain depth (not just number of hits). An auger might even be required for the last 10 blocks or something like that (or at least desired if it takes 30 hits with a steel pickaxe to break one block of stone at that depth).

This type of depth based logic I don't think would ever work out well where the surface has varying height.

So I start a game in an area that has a surface height of -15 and already I'm may be struggling just to get stone mining?

The more all this conversation goes on the more I want to simply say get rid of underground mining all together and make resource gathering for raw materials something completely different.

I think this is one of the challenges of putting vision to reality. This stuff doesn't blend well when you have GPS tracking zombies, full underground mining and terrain destruction by player and NPCs alike, structural integrity, and a mix of players who like potential short hard and fast game play and players who like long world building/empire building play. And everything in between.

This is just an ugly rock and hard place. Which even features that can be enabled or disabled will struggle to satisfy large camps of play styles across the board.

I believe 90% of the things that are going to be worked on until the game goes gold are what's in the KS. I think people are not thinking clearly who think anything else.

The KS is now a ball and chain around TFP necks and they don't want a rep of not keeping their word.

So:

1) KS + maybe 10% more.

2) Release to Gold.

3) Make some cool DLC's.

4) Start on their next game.

I'd bet money its very close to that.

Archived