Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Will A17 be a bigger update than A16?

Well they are adding vehicles, finally. Real vehicles not a speed boost like the current minibike. Also about 70 new poi's. They've done work on the way roads spawn in and increased the height map for better landscape and taller buildings. They are redoing the buff and quests systems. While part of those are behind the scenes, some are not. Like go to npc's or places to gain a quest. NPC's are being added, working ones, not broken ones. In my opinion, A17 is bringing more front end content than A16 did, as well as more behind the scene stuff that only modders can truly appreciate. Because of everything they are adding (see first post), it is taking a much longer time (unfortunately) than the A16 release. As a server operator as well as a player, I can not wait. The game has gone stale for me for a while so I've been playing other things, but once A17 stable drops, I will be right back playing.

This is a concern I've voiced more than once, too.

Having "dungeon" style POIs (expecially if they have a "boss" at the end - as has been mentioned a couple of times) is okay in moderation, but we need plenty of POIs designed for freeform exploration too.

I wouldn't want to see more than, say, 20% "dungeon" style (number pulled from where the sun don't shine). Particularly on RWG maps.

Personally, I still dislike the whole concept of "dungeon" style POIs with "boss" zombies at the end and would rather there weren't any - but obviously that's an unrealistic thing to hope for, since so many have been made, so all I can do is hope they don't dominate the game to the exclusion of exploratory play. To be honest, the idea of POIs with a more linear structure and most of the loot at the end isn't too bad - it's realistic that people would have hoarded stuff and barricaded their hideouts. It's the idea of "boss" zombies conveniently squatting at the end of these waiting for the player to arrive and fight them that's just far too video-gamey for me.

For one, I think the boss at the end is only for when you've accepted a quest. In that case the POI gets hijacked by the quest and populated by quest specific elements such as a boss. Yesterday, I explored a level designed home and it did not feel linear at all, there was no boss character, and there was no "end". There was a safe up in the attic but if that qualifies as an end then all of the current A16 homes have the same kind of end as well. There were several "forks in the road" within the POI and it definitely felt more like a maze than linear path. Those of you who are worrying about Crash Bandicoot gameplay can relax.

It felt cluttered and claustrophobic. I felt that it was very risky to wake up sleepers because there was less room to maneuver and so many more blind corners that just kiting the zombie and continually backing up into unexplored parts of the house felt like it would be suicide. Sleepers had many more nooks and crannies to be placed in and getting through and finding everything was much much slower going.

Its hard for me to imagine anyone preferring the empty rooms and see-all-possible-threats-and-loot-containers-from-the-doorway gameplay that has existed up until now. I only looked at one house but I can tell you it was the epitome of exploratory play. It was a basic Diersville house and it took me a good 30-40 minutes to explore. The current houses take...what? 5 minutes?

For one, I think the boss at the end is only for when you've accepted a quest. In that case the POI gets hijacked by the quest and populated by quest specific elements such as a boss. Yesterday, I explored a level designed home and it did not feel linear at all, there was no boss character, and there was no "end". There was a safe up in the attic but if that qualifies as an end then all of the current A16 homes have the same kind of end as well. There were several "forks in the road" within the POI and it definitely felt more like a maze than linear path. Those of you who are worrying about Crash Bandicoot gameplay can relax.

It felt cluttered and claustrophobic. I felt that it was very risky to wake up sleepers because there was less room to maneuver and so many more blind corners that just kiting the zombie and continually backing up into unexplored parts of the house felt like it would be suicide. Sleepers had many more nooks and crannies to be placed in and getting through and finding everything was much much slower going.

Its hard for me to imagine anyone preferring the empty rooms and see-all-possible-threats-and-loot-containers-from-the-doorway gameplay that has existed up until now. I only looked at one house but I can tell you it was the epitome of exploratory play. It was a basic Diersville house and it took me a good 30-40 minutes to explore. The current houses take...what? 5 minutes?

do the zeds still spawn on top of you? clear a room turn your back and get attacked by a zed that spawns in behind you?

CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A17 will be released in 6 weeks!! ... Thats six weeks!!!! ... After five weeks, yet before seven weeks!!!!

*** Come to Al's Marina and Burrito Bar -n- Grill, where we take a Pool on who will die first! If you die, you get a zombie corn dog!! ***

It's dangerous to wander into the forum after months and have this be the first post you see.

do the zeds still spawn on top of you? clear a room turn your back and get attacked by a zed that spawns in behind you?

If I read the posts correctly no. The idea behind the 'dungeon' POIs is that the spawns are fixed. So once you kill a zed, no others will spawn until you finish the boss.

Perhaps the argument isn't about gameplay content. Of course empty rooms provide less exploration value.

Having too many of those labyrinths just might break some of the immersion. Why would half the city reorganize their homes into cluttered mazes at the zombie outbreak?

I really like the high detail environments and I would like to get this kind of touch on some "empty rooms" as well. I think it would be very reasonable to assume there are big amount of houses in the world that got abandoned just as they were when the outbreak happened.

@Roland

The little lights you couldn't pick up on the crates you couldn't interact with that told you exactly where to go weren't a bit hokey?

Meh...I didn’t feel guided. It’s annoying that your only interaction with them is to destroy them for scrap—but hey, more scrap. People who follow the “light trail” will miss a lot and probably get sucker punched by sleepers they didn’t notice if they just automatically look for the next light and go straight to it. Also those who like to turn their gamma up to 200 are probably going to be blinded in some areas....so that’s a plus....heheh

@Roland

The little lights you couldn't pick up on the crates you couldn't interact with that told you exactly where to go weren't a bit hokey?

We really need to be able to pick up those lamps and electrical appliances at some point. (...and even ceiling lights with proper tools.) It makes sense to gather some things whole instead of trashing them and getting components.

Here’s the thing about the dungeon POIs. If you are like me and typically loot an entire house of ALL of its loot containers and search out all the zombies to essentially “clear” the house then these POIs will feel orgasmically exploratory.

If you are like my mother who IN ADDITION must scrap every blinds, curtain, light fixture, railing, couch, bed, table,and duct to “finish a house”...well, then, welcome to your 50 Shades of Gray exploratory and harvesting experience. Take a week or two per house and enjoy yourself gutting it completely... (or would that be 9 1/2?)

Now if you typically bypass all the regular containers and go straight to the attic safe or bookcase then it probably will seem more linear to you—but then again you’re playing pretty linearly already.

There were several "forks in the road" within the POI and it definitely felt more like a maze than linear path.

That sounds promising.

@Roland

This is something I really expect to have to solve with a mod, I really can't imagine how all the cues won't spoil the fun of exploring the POIs.

Now if you typically bypass all the regular containers and go straight to the attic safe or bookcase then it probably will seem more linear to you—but then again you’re playing pretty linearly already.

As long as I can still nip into kitchens for food and a cooking pot during the first few days I think I can live with it. I'm usually building for the next couple of weeks anyway. I might have to get a prefab building pack after my first few games though, I quite like the abandoned building feeling, it feels very "The Omega Man". Personally I think sleepers are a bit overdone in normal buildings anyway, did everyone have the extended family over for the apocalypse?

Roland is that guy being serious or is he joking, I can't tell.

I always jeast, I use far more sailor language when I'm upset or serious. I do admite that forget to turn my sarcasism down from time to time. But I was serious about seeing MM around.

Words of wisdom I would say. 120 minute days sounds just about right.

I mean what player would rush in a zombie infested house now? I'll tell you, the next zombie player is who! :)

I think it will be a good place to start. All the new systems and POIs and such. Need as much daylight as possible to get acquainted. :)

We really need to be able to pick up those lamps and electrical appliances at some point. (...and even ceiling lights with proper tools.) It makes sense to gather some things whole instead of trashing them and getting components.

This. Been saying this forever.

Is there any news on the new skill progression system?

Is it still skills and perks? Just re-worked?

Or is it an Overhaul?

Inquiring minds would like to know! :D

Added:

The first page says:

+Improving old skill system with a more robust and optimized framework, also designed to work with items and buffs.

Would love some details though. Even very general details.

Is there any news on the new skill progression system?

Is it still skills and perks? Just re-worked?

Or is it an Overhaul?

I think attributes are confirmed. So you've got strength, agility... and these will give you bonuses on your skills. I would call this very overhauly

Archived