Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

You are reaching. I like VR in concept but in application I've yet to play a game with it and feel like its a must have instead of just a gimmick.

That sucks. Do you think people will be able to mod VR support into 7Days themselves?

What games have you played in VR?

<snipped for space>

You don't get much option with the built-in unity stuff, that's all taken care of behind the scenes. What makes unity so popular is the automation of the grindy parts of programming but it does have some disadvantages. A lot of colliders which aren't moving is reasonably quick but you've got to work under the assumption that a player will find a way to make them all move at once. Some player somewhere will always find a loophole in your setup and then complain that it's slow.

Case in point: A few years ago, before candles were introduced if memory serves, a player complained that placing a squillion torches in a small room made all of the textures look bleached and weird. MadMole simply replied "but why would you even do that?".

That sucks. Do you think people will be able to mod VR support into 7Days themselves?

Short answer? No.

I've played with the unity vr stuff. It requires a special extension with two cameras and a complete rewrite of the control system.

Short answer? No.

I've played with the unity vr stuff. It requires a special extension with two cameras and a complete rewrite of the control system.

Yeah it is the kind of thing the developer needs to add or leave the code open enough for ambitious peeps to hack in. It was even a stretch goal too. Oh well.

Looking forward to A17!

Hey everyone! Just to let you guys know the main reasons for the Madmole silence:

There was a family vacation,

Then there was really bad post vacation sickness involving lots of puke and sleep,

Then lots of piled up work due to those first two events,

And now graduation ceremonies for a Madmole family member.

There is a new video on the horizon. If not in the next couple days a very good chance by this weekend.

There are still things not on the first page lists that are hopefully coming to A17 but might slip to A18 (which is why they aren't on the list).

Oh my gosh! The game is punishing Madmole for taking a vacation. 00 ;)

Short answer? No.

Even I made a vr world in like 5 minutes.

...the ui and controls are the tedious parts, neither being hard, just.. Tedious.

@MM

Dude, you're playing the wrong vr games. Talk to lathan, he can hook you up.

Even I made a vr world in like 5 minutes.

...the ui and controls are the tedious parts, neither being hard, just.. Tedious.

Yep, not difficult. Not something you can just mod into a compiled game though.

I might have to give it another go. It was fresh out of beta, possibly late beta, when I messed with it. It was quite a while ago and I was curious how it worked.

You don't get much option with the built-in unity stuff, that's all taken care of behind the scenes. What makes unity so popular is the automation of the grindy parts of programming but it does have some disadvantages. A lot of colliders which aren't moving is reasonably quick but you've got to work under the assumption that a player will find a way to make them all move at once. Some player somewhere will always find a loophole in your setup and then complain that it's slow.

Case in point: A few years ago, before candles were introduced if memory serves, a player complained that placing a squillion torches in a small room made all of the textures look bleached and weird. MadMole simply replied "but why would you even do that?".

Sometimes you have to set hard limits on what the engine should try to attempt, and what you allow the players to attempt. I would set a limit on how many non-important (gibs) physics objects are allowed to calculate per frame. If a player were to try to abuse it, it would not look correct, possibly slow, and probably not pretty, but at least it will be limited as to how it affects the performance for other players in the world.

The candle solution seems obvious. Radius check for how many other candles are nearby, and only allow so many to be clustered together.

I'm not trying to say this gib thing needs to be done. I'm just saying that it is possible to have a decent gib setup without affecting performance much at all, and without compromising the existing physics. It may not be an obvious or easy solution, but it can be done. I just have a lot of fun playing with gib code personally. :p

Sometimes you have to set hard limits on what...you allow the players to attempt.

*ahem*

“How dare you dictate how I should play. I thought this game was a sandbox!!! If you forcibly deny me anything I’ll hit uninstall!”

... and that leads back to why average people are not like people in this forum. :)

The average IQ is about 100 (unless your from Equatorial Guinea which was probably caused by an unreported perchlorate spill into the water).

The average IQ of people not on my ignore list is at least 110. So, not the same type of players. imHo. :)

Guest Rassilon
Most people know nothing of xml, or how optimisations are happening. They just load vanilla and have at it. There are more than a few who do not even KNOW mods exist, likewise since I run my mod from Discord now there are players coming in from streams who got the launcher from a link in a stream who do not even know this place exists.

Thats what i always said, and thats why i strongly dislike all the "Mod it" yells, as soon someone asks for a Feature..

In my honest Opinion, lots of Features should be fleshed out and get more variety (Blocks, Prefabs, Electricity, Weapons, Animals, Paint textures... etc ) not by mods, but buy the devs ( when the time is right, not right now ) so the actual Vanilla game attracts more casual Players and thus enabling more Ressources

- - - Updated - - -

Jax old buddy its good to see you. We are keeping our heads down working hard, no time to chat.

I don't always post here because you guys beat me to it most the time anyway. I actually logged in to post the news but by the time I got to it, someone did beat me to it.

I will get a video out soon :)

Hello Mr. Mole. Good to see you and your Beard back on the Forum :)

Average player VS average forum user

For the many replies I got to my comment about comparison between average player and average forum user, I would like to clarify that:

• I said I think their preferences are fairly similar.
  • I did not say they have the same experience with the game (especially with mods).

To the guy who made the point that different knowledge of the game, causes different preferences: this is actually a good point. I am not sure to what extent, but this could be true.

I still think that when forum users are discussing game features, particularly when the forum is very crowded, not like what we have been experiencing recently, they represent fairly accurately the preferences of the average player.

One example of this is:

there are more people advocating for pve over pvp, in the same way there are more pve players than pvp.

Hey everyone! Just to let you guys know the main reasons for the Madmole silence:

Then there was really bad post vacation sickness involving lots of puke and sleep,

There is a new video on the horizon. If not in the next couple days a very good chance by this weekend.

There are still things not on the first page lists that are hopefully coming to A17 but might slip to A18 (which is why they aren't on the list).

Thanks for the update!

I just saw on Twitter that MM said that he/TFP will do an HD version of the grass-texture.

Congratulations on the graduation, member of madmole family! :)

Oh yeah!!

thanks for replying madmole and i apologise for the tone if my post - i have been having a rough time at work lately, as you have by the sounds if it.

picked up my first load of treated timber i milled on my sawmill from my trees today so im in a better space tonight :-) still punishing the whiskey...

Jax old buddy its good to see you. We are keeping our heads down working hard, no time to chat.

I don't always post here because you guys beat me to it most the time anyway. I actually logged in to post the news but by the time I got to it, someone did beat me to it.

Hey boss, so good to see that imposing picture once again :)

Take your time with everything. There are a lot of us who appreciate the hard work going into this alpha and understand the importance of the focus you and the team have with this alpha. So much behind the scenes stuff that the general public will not fully appreciate until they get their hands on it and feel it in action. It's hard to film a video of Buff changes, Random Gen code improvements etc and most of us understand that. Take as long as you and the team need. I'm very confident you guys are going to hit oit out of the park when it releases and it ALREADY looks like a brand new game, let alone a new Alpha. How many other games can claim that?

Your Alphas aren't a patch of balances. They are new games an I will be here, lurking or vocal, to support every step of the way. Now get back to work/crushing them gains.

The candle solution is obvious: make candles not suck at what they're for and most players won't feel the need to use a zillion of them. :)

I don't know if you've ever lit, or placed a candle in the dark, but this is indeed, what candles look like in the dark. p.s there are lights and electricity. strive for that, don't expect to light your house to the point you can make everything out with wax and a wick.

there is no issue here.

Archived