Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

But you haven't seen the vulture eye lasers yet. Cuts through blocks like butter.

Dear Faatal:

Please make zombies a nightmare you might not wake up from.

Some qualities I would like people to associate with your Zombie AI, dastardly, devious, trifling, conniving, ridiculous, omg kill me now, nightmare.

Thanks in advance.

Xeen

With zombie been nightmare, can I request a suicide Vest, take a regular leather vest, put some tnt on it, and when Vest reach 0 durability it explode with you and 5 radius around you .. it is good to sacrify one of your friend on horde night ..

@faatal if zombie target block strength will it depends on "paint" or actual block. I mean in real world creature like zombie can tell strength by visually recognizing it. So, they should be easily fool at least for first hit, by paint on it. If it is wooden texture they hit it first, but then when paint get scratch then they look for wooden block .. :) might be nice idea to make fool of zombie the first time.

With zombie been nightmare, can I request a suicide Vest, take a regular leather vest, put some tnt on it, and when Vest reach 0 durability it explode with you and 5 radius around you .. it is good to sacrify one of your friend on horde night ..

"Here friend. Put on this vest for tonight's bloodmoon. It will be good. Now don't stand so close to me."

Seems like you missed the main idea.

The idea consists that to facilitate a game to players at a late stage of a game.

Brass cather can be made in the form of difficult available recipe or hight level perk.There is many things to do in game: researching, looting, quests, dungeons etc...

and you know, when you got 44 tourets (as me at base) there is not enough time to be engaged only in brass search ..btw you need to find/harvest lead also.

Anyway it is possible to make brass catcher for special recipe or quests or difficult crafting. it is like a suggestion.

Saw a lot of interested forum members about brass cather.

Valid point. At my best, I only had 6 turrets so wouldn't quite call it end game. That is a massive operation which would be hard to sustain as a single player. If you are talking about 44 turrets on multi player server, I think you should have to do the work to get the brass yourself so you are constantly challenged. Nothing is unlimited in this game nor should it be.

With 10% chance of premature detonation. And poof.

I think if zombies could jump up ladders people will just find a new way, for example having a gap to jump across to a ladder that is 2 blocks high or just nerd poling. Making spider zeds more scary or have zeds climb on each other better than they can would probably be more effective IMO.

You could just remove the highest 2-3 block of ladder then they can never get up to you no matter how they try. Or have a full ladder and stick a block at the top of it, since they cannot attack anything while on a ladder they just keep trying to go up and down the ladder while you laugh, or shoot at them thru the wood frame.

I almost only play on a PVP server as I find late game too easy but don't like bullet sponge zeds... and I love tricky base design to keep human raiders out...

Having zeds grabbing ledges like that would be amazing, reminds me of dying light... If they did that they would probably have to work in player ledge grabbing/parkour and that is probably a bit too much to ask for. The other way for zeds to get up is for them to climb on each other a bit better then they do now, having both things would be even better.

Honestly my biggest wish for the game is a melee combat overhaul with dying light like animations... Doesn't have to be anywhere near as good but the combat at the moment feels so... wooden.

I always did find it stupid how your character is unable to climb a ledge that is 3 blocks off the ground as the top of your head hits the top of that 3rd block. Actually I found the fact you can't climb at all in 7dtd to be pretty stupid, there is lots of uses for it, maybe make it take a ton of stamina at first. Like dying light, some of the stuff you can climb in that I could see being realistically climbed by someone, while other things not so much, like those round pipes your able to shimmy across (like when you need to get into Gazi's house), there is no way you'd be able to keep a grip on those.

Rather than making zombies jump horizontally I would rather see vultures able to pick them up and carry them across. That would make vultures priority targets, it wouldn't result in a flood of zombies getting past moats, and it wouldn't result in a meta of just digging wider and wider moats. A moat would still protect from being overwhelmed but if vultures were ignored then more and more zombies would be dropped inside.

I would also like to see spiders that can crawl around in all directions on a vertical surface instead of just up and down.

EDIT: I also like the bridging ability Crater mentioned. I loved the idea of gore blocks and was sad that they never quite reached their potential before being axed. So a bridge made of whatever ichor they vomit up that hardens into a resin could be a cool idea similar to gore blocks.

I'm not a big fan of flashy supernatural vomit bridges and vulture dropped bomb-zombies. It's going to look silly IMO. Just make vultures land on your roof and brake it to reach you.

I like the spider zombie all-directions climbing though.

As far as gore blocks go, we could start by making them "solid" so zombies can walk on them. A the moment they slow you down but don't elevate you from ground. If they were solid they would work as a bridge and protect next wave of zombies from spikes.

You could just remove the highest 2-3 block of ladder then they can never get up to you no matter how they try. Or have a full ladder and stick a block at the top of it, since they cannot attack anything while on a ladder they just keep trying to go up and down the ladder while you laugh, or shoot at them thru the wood frame.

Don't place the bottom rung of a ladder, you can still jump onto it but zombies can't climb it at all.

I always did find it stupid how your character is unable to climb a ledge that is 3 blocks off the ground as the top of your head hits the top of that 3rd block. Actually I found the fact you can't climb at all in 7dtd to be pretty stupid, there is lots of uses for it, maybe make it take a ton of stamina at first. Like dying light, some of the stuff you can climb in that I could see being realistically climbed by someone, while other things not so much, like those round pipes your able to shimmy across (like when you need to get into Gazi's house), there is no way you'd be able to keep a grip on those.

As long as the zeds had the climbing it would make the game so much more epic... imagine running along rooftops in a town on the 7 day horde with sprinting zeds chasing you jumping gaps and getting ever closer... or designing parkour courses where you have to outrun a horde in your server.

7dtd is already so good... with those sort of dying light like controls plus of course some better melee it would feel so much more immersive and awesome... and would probably make it 100 times more popular when it finally hits beta. I'm sure it is a bit beyond the scope of the game though.. I can dream though. :)

I remember that scene you are talking about... Just don't remember who it was! Was it Rick after the tank incident? I just remember someone running through an alley and surrounded, but went up the ladder.

Gray area in a game like this would be amazing, but eventually someone figures out how to negate it and posts a video on YouTube (boo!). That brings a big benefit to jumping zombies I didn't think about... A zombie being able to climb a ladder after you take out the bottom block... That has to be the easiest way to keep away from zombies and being able to make that obsolete would be awesome! Maybe keep it the way it is until newer players reach a certain level to appeal to the noobs to the game and add some way of escape, but that advantage is used way too much by players that should be thinking strategy more because this is just laziness... I'm guilty too.

Maybe a better middle ground would include some code altering that allows zombies to identify a ladder block 1 lvl off the ground and able to climb it. Wading in water is also an easy exploit that could be overcome by adding sinking/drowning if your stamina runs out...?

Don't hate the player, hate the game. :) The player that takes out a ladder has thought about strategy, and is applying that earlier knowledge. Part of the fun of this sandbox survival game, perhaps the most fun at least when it comes to building, is trial and error.

Can I build four walls and hide inside? Okay, they had to rip through it, but they did that pretty easily. Can I hide at the top of a ladder? That stops the dogs, but the rest of them can climb too. Can I break the ladder after me? That works better, except these crawlers and vultures are still getting through... etc. etc.

This is how the game should work in my opinion: the player comes up with ideas and goes to some effort to implement them, and each ploy either makes the player's life easier by helping against the zombie problem in a limited way, or it's ineffective and the player goes on to try something else. A design that counters every threat should, at the least, be high maintenance. And to keep a learning curve, the zombie problem can grow over time: not just in number, but e.g. crawlers and vultures and diggers and bridge builders come in later weeks.

@faatal if zombie target block strength will it depends on "paint" or actual block. I mean in real world creature like zombie can tell strength by visually recognizing it. So, they should be easily fool at least for first hit, by paint on it. If it is wooden texture they hit it first, but then when paint get scratch then they look for wooden block .. :) might be nice idea to make fool of zombie the first time.

I think this just highlights that the zombies aren't going after weak points because that's what zombies would do; they're going after weak points strictly for the sake of gameplay. Painting to misdirect only makes sense for someone playing a game, not for a character in the zombie apocalypse (unless they're trying to fool other people).

I'm not a big fan of flashy supernatural vomit bridges and vulture dropped bomb-zombies. It's going to look silly IMO. Just make vultures land on your roof and brake it to reach you.

I like the spider zombie all-directions climbing though.

As far as gore blocks go, we could start by making them "solid" so zombies can walk on them. A the moment they slow you down but don't elevate you from ground. If they were solid they would work as a bridge and protect next wave of zombies from spikes.

Don't forget about the vulture's laser eyes that faatal is putting in. lol

Gore blocks. I keep suggesting that they let the gore blocks turn into rubble. That way this would work. Maybe add a mechanic that will only allow gore blocks to turn into dirt/rubble on a hoard night.

i bet late may or early june. It still amazes me how adding about 10 new people to their squad doesn't really makes the updates release faster (community voted for faster updates btw). I really hope the list of A17 features on this forum is like 50-70% of what they want to add. If that's most of the things they want to add (I don't count bugfixes, small changes etc) I will be probably more sad than happy when A17 hits.

iv heard rumors about that vote. i gues that was 2+ years ago. or more

it would still be okay if it was balanced over time. but the time between updates just incresing. :(

Rather than making zombies jump horizontally I would rather see vultures able to pick them up and carry them across. That would make vultures priority targets, it wouldn't result in a flood of zombies getting past moats, and it wouldn't result in a meta of just digging wider and wider moats. A moat would still protect from being overwhelmed but if vultures were ignored then more and more zombies would be dropped inside.

I would also like to see spiders that can crawl around in all directions on a vertical surface instead of just up and down.

EDIT: I also like the bridging ability Crater mentioned. I loved the idea of gore blocks and was sad that they never quite reached their potential before being axed. So a bridge made of whatever ichor they vomit up that hardens into a resin could be a cool idea similar to gore blocks.

Gore blocks always seemed to be a bad idea IMHO. but why not corpse? zombie bodies drop and pile up and zombies use them as bridges kinda like Ants will do.

Archived