Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Good for u. Just dont set yourself up for disappointment. Its not going to be a witcher 3 type story here... might only be a bit of backstory.

I already said I'm not expecting something of the scale the Bethesda games has.

I think that statement sums up perfectly where your argument goes off the rails. 7dtd is not mostly an action RPG. It is mostly a sandbox game with a few RPG elements in it. It is a blending of different genres and that is it's strength, the blending. A blend will NOT have all elements of each genre included. Yes there will be a story mode, it will be in the set map of Navezgane and not in the Random Gen worlds where the majority of players play.

And I already said I'm not expecting everything from every genres it in. While I certainly do agree the blending is the strength of the game, it mostly feels like Fallout or even Skyrim for the most part, which is obviously intended. Yes, there will be a story with a main quest going through it. Yes, you will slay enemies with weapons and level up to unlock new skills. Yes, I've done all that already in Skyrim.

Forget story mode, just make the world have dynamic factions and events.

I honestly don't get it with all the people saying forget the story, and the traders and every major features of the kind just because they don't care for it. People keep telling me to go play some other RPG if I want a story. Well then, if you only want to mine and craft why don't you guys just play Minecraft? Players WILL care to quest around Navezgane just like they do in Fallout and Skyrim.

Sooooo...now that we've discussed story, what else is there to discuss? Are the block physics worked on at all? As in structural Integrity stuff? And I suppose that includes zombies not being able to knock down trees. But the initial question really revolves around complicated structures not falling even though all support pillars have been destroyed.

I took it as a joke, but honestly? I wouldn't care if it wasn't. Because it doesn't matter; you're absolutely right, it has to go beta at some point, and they've said numerous times they're willing to push features to post-gold, and no matter what there will be an end point. <shrug>

It's been fun, it's been unfun, it is what it is.

- - - Updated - - -

@deadmole: I want to clarify, my "I laughed" wasn't from what you said, it was from what MM said that you referring to about a joke. I took it as one, but hey, I like to have fun. =)

The inference behind pushing 7D2D "Part 1" to gold is good news as MM doesn't plan to quit.

They want to expand 7D2D into a part 2 after flushing out a plot OR while they push out some DLC's and finishing touches for 7D2D they want to use all they have learned and make something even more amazing!

I'm positive its all good because I believe Joel is no quitter.

You do stuff and the world changes as a result. Like killing lots of a faction makes them hate you etc

This is precisely what games of the future will have. Not a mindless "story" like Fallout 4 where nothing you do or say matters, until you actually start shooting at a faction.

Of course, making a dynamic story board with many, many paths, would be cutting edge (difficult). It is the future in gaming for sure.

Sooooo...now that we've discussed story, what else is there to discuss?

Yeah, I didn't mean to hijack the thread and get into a huge argument (especially not about Minecraft) but too late for that eh. I think I got my point across by now, so I'll just leave it be.

Well I want to be clear that I’m not against a story line or main quest chain. My only point is that it can come after gold. The game can ship complete as a sandbox survival game and then a story mode can be added, a horde mode can be added, a Battle Royale mode can be added. The game could go beta after A17. Heck, they could call the next release Beta 1.0 instead of Alpha 17 making the current A16 the last alpha.

Well I want to be clear that I’m not against a story line or main quest chain. My only point is that it can come after gold. The game can ship complete as a sandbox survival game and then a story mode can be added, a horde mode can be added, a Battle Royale mode can be added. The game could go beta after A17. Heck, they could call the next release Beta 1.0 instead of Alpha 17 making the current A16 the last alpha.

Ohhh man. You just HAD to say BR mode didn't you.

I've never been absolutely positively opposed to ANYTHING, but a BR mode I will shout from the highest mountain tops AGAINST. If only because of not only the TYPE of player it attracts but personally BR modes are absolutely lazy and "flavor of the month". I hope to heck it doesn't ever include a BR mode.

I watched H1Z1 just Survive go from a survival game in development to utter crap because it added a BR mode and then became obsessed with it over survival. I know the money is BIG in that right now, but all i have seen when a BR mode gets added is an influx of JUST FPS fanboys who infect the Survival mode with demands to make it more pew pew and RUIN it.

Bottom line is we're getting more vehicles, we're getting quests, we're getting bandits, we're getting a story, so what's the rush?

If they bust those out too soon, maybe we don't get a boat, or horses, or conversation script access, or (insert thing we'll likely get but is not on the official list here).

It would be nice to see something on that though.. In stead of having to rely on the almighty word of.. the kickstarter-list?

You do stuff and the world changes as a result. Like killing lots of a faction makes them hate you etc

So you mean to say, 7D2D Story = Make your own story. People that can't have fun in a sandbox game and need someone to hold your hand and put you on a track to show you a pretty show, 7D2D is not for you.

I've never been absolutely positively opposed to ANYTHING, but a BR mode I will shout from the highest mountain tops AGAINST. If only because of not only the TYPE of player it attracts but personally BR modes are absolutely lazy and "flavor of the month". I hope to heck it doesn't ever include a BR mode.

I watched H1Z1 just Survive go from a survival game in development to utter crap because it added a BR mode and then became obsessed with it over survival. I know the money is BIG in that right now, but all i have seen when a BR mode gets added is an influx of JUST FPS fanboys who infect the Survival mode with demands to make it more pew pew and RUIN it.

On one hand I agree with you. I loved playing Fortnite before BR got on there. Very hipster of me I know. What stopped me from playing it was the repetition. Once you get to Plankertown it was the same ol same ol. The hype for BR looked fun but it was not my bag.

Now on the other hand I think 7D2D could make BR fun and I would actually give it a try. Just adding in the zombies and sleepers while you scramble to get weapons would be a game changer. Then instead of a magic blue death ring closing in, 7D2D could do a perimeter of special feral zombies closing in to the center. Either way if they add BR I can't imagine it taking away anything that we do not already have or the modders like yourself can make. I'd still play 7D2D survival because it has something to come back to. 7D2D BR would be a nice quicky before I head to work.

Some questions for Roland, Gazz, Unholyjoe

- Will the character be able to repel zombies with his hands or kick the zombies with his feet?

- Will the image of the hands change depending on what is worn on the character?

- Will there be any changes in the customization of the character's appearance in 17 Alpha?

There is also a question about changing weapons when modifying.

For example, I have a hunting rifle or AK47. When I take aim, I mean the usual sight.

If I install an optical sight on this gun (AK47), can I see the optical sight when I aim?

Roland, Gazz may be Unholyjoe, what about my questions? Do you have answer?

Maybe some of the answers will be in a new video from Joel?

Thanks.

But what about cracking a cold one and playing PBR mode? :drum:

It would be nice to see something on that though.. In stead of having to rely on the almighty word of.. the kickstarter-list?

But we have; and you've been around long enough to know it.

...damn I had a geology question for you, but can't remember it...

- - - Updated - - -

gyrocopters?

...gyrocopters?

rafts.

swimming.

water physics.

npcs.

boredom underground.

but...gyrocopters?

priorities are not properly prioritized.

Gyrocopters were already more or less in the game assets, so it was closer to being done.

- - - Updated - - -

Roland, Gazz may be Unholyjoe, what about my questions? Do you have answer?

Maybe some of the answers will be in a new video from Joel?

Thanks.

Next video is supposed to be special attacks and weird crap, so you'll probably see some of what you're looking for this weekend.

But we have; and you've been around long enough to know it.

...damn I had a geology question for you, but can't remember it...

Well, perhaps. But the data on those topics is even more sparse than the data I'm usually working with..

If you remember your question, let me know man! You rock!

Yes but where are the pistons in 7DTD?

This may sound like a silly response, but it carries a meaningful message. Which is:

7DTD does not offer as many things to build, to invent, to craft, to desing as Minecraft.

Minecraft is also a vastly different concept than this game, to be fair.

Minecraft is by far more oriented towards creative gameplay.

It has been fun reading this ♥♥♥♥ball unravel but i really don't get how Minecraft Story Mode has anything to do with 7d2d. It hardly has anything to do with Mincraft.

Telltale story of 7 days would be discarding everything that makes the game good and only using some of the art style.

Telltale does story? I thought their specialty was quicktime events.:cocksure:

:D

Archived